Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Coohoolin posted:

Alex Salmond smiled as he tied his noose and donned his executioner's hood.

You may be the only person who gives two tugs on a dead dog's cock what Alex Salmond thinks about it. (Well, one of two, but he's the other one.)

E: July 6th 1988: Piper Alpha.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Breath Ray posted:

Are people saying Tony Blair is a war criminal for removing Saddam ?

Moving on up from giving people dangerous weightlifting advice, I see. A bold strategy

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ronya posted:

"it was possible to read those reports and not come to the conclusion Blair did" is substantially different from "the conclusions Blair took were unreasonable"...

I think we're talking about different conclusions here.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

ronya posted:

not really

basically the committee overstated its intel, and then blair overstated the committee's position to the commons. conversely the commons believed blair and blair believed the committee.

the argument is that these positions should have been questioned and were not, but it's all a bit sketch to argue that there's a legal duty of care here

much easier to focus on the angels dancing on the pin that is unscr 1441

Have to say I agree with this. Obviously they badly bungled the peace but the decision to go to war was spot on.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

HorseLord posted:

Weak troll.

Greetings, original rosette holder.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Breath Ray posted:

the decision to go to war was spot on.
there's this report by a guy named chilcot you should look into it mate

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

It's a bit wordy, mind

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Look guys only God can judge Blair

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

JFairfax posted:

If I kick Blair in the nuts does that count as God's judgement because he allowed it to happen?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

Moving on up from giving people dangerous weightlifting advice, I see. A bold strategy

Hey Mike, hows it going? As i said lifting to failure has always worked for me..but good to keep a spotter nearby for new PB attempts

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JFairfax posted:

The Pope told him not to go to war though.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

there's this report by a guy named chilcot you should look into it mate

Ha ok maybe not spot on but defensible in the context above

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Breath Ray posted:

the decision to go to war was spot on

Are you loving serious

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
You can't just attack world leaders because you don't like them and they happen to be not nice.

That's not how the world is supposed to work. And we're constantly told it isn't like that. So one of these things has to change.

Tony Blair MIGHT not be a war criminal but only if we now accept the premise that the world is a giant free for all and powerful countries can, at a whim, go "don't like you" and start unilateral war. On anyone. For anything.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

M&G have also suspended their 4.6 bill fund today after applying a 4.5 fva on the 1st. It's going to poo poo, lads.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 6, 2016

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Tesseraction posted:

If I kick Blair in the nuts does that count as God's judgement because he allowed it to happen?

Yes. Especially so.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bryter posted:

Are you loving serious

I have to admit I like his irreverent devil's advocacy. Especially the optimism.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Yes. Especially so.

brb vigilante justice

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Guavanaut posted:

The Pope told him not to go to war though.

Good on the Pope, Blair is so loving deluded this is what he said of his meeting with the Pope:

"I obviously know the views of the pope very well and they are very clear. Let me just make one thing also plain -- we do not want war, no one wants war," he said.

"What the words of His Holiness the pope have described ... is the reluctance of people to go to war except as a last resort. That is our position."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/750715116140634113

Cry me a loving river.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

You can't just attack world leaders because you don't like them and they happen to be not nice.

That's not how the world is supposed to work. And we're constantly told it isn't like that. So one of these things has to change.

Tony Blair MIGHT not be a war criminal but only if we now accept the premise that the world is a giant free for all and powerful countries can, at a whim, go "don't like you" and start unilateral war. On anyone. For anything.

Its a deal.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guess something has to do it when Cherie's elsewhere.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Trickjaw posted:

M&G have also suspended their 4.6 bill fund today after applying a 4.5 fva on the 1st. It's going to poo poo, lads.

Good.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Breath Ray posted:

The decision to go to war was spot on.

Why?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
For the 2003 invasion to actually have produced a tolerable outcome you basically have to imagine that every loving thing about it was different.

Realistically, you need at least double the troops on the ground. The 1990-1991 Gulf War went as smoothly as invasions can go, and it took place in a much smaller theater, and involved a much simpler and shorter mission, and it took a coalition of >900,000 troops (700,000 US). In 2003 they sent 300,000 to both win the conventional war and occupy a vastly larger land area with a much greater population in a more hosed up situation.

And you have to replace the US Secretary of Defense.

And you have to replace an occupation strategy of LOL WUT with something completely different.

etc., etc.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

You know, it's one thing if you make the wrong call in uncharted territory. You can back it up by saying you regret it every day, you take full responsibility, and you made what you thought was the best decision giving the information available to you at the time.

It's another when you ignore everyone telling you it's going to go to poo poo, when even you list the ways you think it could go to poo poo, when stupid adventurism has repeatedly hosed you and your peers up in recent history, when your country's own dabbling in the Mideast contributed to the current shitshow and you know it, and decide "gently caress it, let's invade" and then 13 years later you act like you have regrets. You regret getting caught in a lie and nothing else.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

sean10mm posted:

For the 2003 invasion to actually have produced a tolerable outcome you basically have to imagine that every loving thing about it was different.

Realistically, you need at least double the troops on the ground. The 1990-1991 Gulf War went as smoothly as invasions can go, and it took place in a much smaller theater, and involved a much simpler and shorter mission, and it took a coalition of >900,000 troops (700,000 US). In 2003 they sent 300,000 to both win the conventional war and occupy a vastly larger land area with a much greater population in a more hosed up situation.

And you have to replace the US Secretary of Defense.

And you have to replace an occupation strategy of LOL WUT with something completely different.

etc., etc.

just outsource the whole thing to G4S and Blackwater imo. Probably couldn't have been worse.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

That is sort of how it worked until quite recently (or maybe it's 2017, not sure). Just because something is very bad doesn't make it criminal, particularly in terms of what a government can do internationally.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
"I relive it, I'm a victim too".

loving lmao.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JFairfax posted:

Good on the Pope, Blair is so loving deluded this is what he said of his meeting with the Pope:

"I obviously know the views of the pope very well and they are very clear. Let me just make one thing also plain -- we do not want war, no one wants war," he said.

"What the words of His Holiness the pope have described ... is the reluctance of people to go to war except as a last resort. That is our position."
And as Chilcot showed it was far from a last resort it looks like His Holiness' direct line to Number 10 wasn't working properly.

e:

sean10mm posted:

an occupation strategy of LOL WUT
New thread title?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

e:

New thread title?

Also works for the Brexit strategy.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

pointsofdata posted:

That is sort of how it worked until quite recently (or maybe it's 2017, not sure). Just because something is very bad doesn't make it criminal, particularly in terms of what a government can do internationally.

Yeah I think you nailed it. Not a war criminal but simply dizzy with success.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Breath Ray posted:

Yeah I think you nailed it. Not a war criminal but simply dizzy with success.

Tony Blair is a war criminal.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

pointsofdata posted:

I suppose 1946 can be thought of as quite recently compared to some timescales.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Oberleutnant posted:

Tony Blair is a war criminal.

It's unfair to call him that... unfair to war criminals.

For instance, it's possible that someone in a combat zone under extreme stress commits a horrid act that is rightly illegal. They're wrong and need to be punished as a war criminal. However, it's not hard to understand why, say, watching your friends get turned inside-out by an IED would make you snap and do something terrible.

Blair was a chickehnawk fuckbag who sent people to die for no good reason while he lived a candy-assed existence.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

pointsofdata posted:

The Iraq war being very bad isn't what makes it illegal, the fact that waging war in circumstances outside of self-defence without security council authorisation is against the UN charter is what makes it illegal.

Bryter fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 6, 2016

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Tony Blair is a criminal. I've not read the report yet or heard any news re it

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ah good ol' Trump:

Presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump, who frequently criticizes U.S. foreign policy under President Barack Obama and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, has praised former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein’s ruthlessness.

“Saddam Hussein was a bad guy, right? … But you know what he did well? He killed terrorists. He did that so good,” Trump told a campaign rally Tuesday night in Raleigh, North Carolina. “They didn’t read ’em the rights, they didn’t talk. They were a terrorist, it was over.”

Trump has previously said the world would be “100 percent better” if dictators like Hussein and Libya’s Moammar Gadhafi were still in power. Prior to the U.S. invasion, Iraq was listed by the U.S. as a state sponsor of terrorism.

Jake Sullivan, a Clinton senior policy adviser, said Trump’s “praise for brutal strongmen seemingly knows no bounds.”

Sullivan said such comments “demonstrate how dangerous he would be as Commander-in-Chief and how unworthy he is of the office he seeks.”

Trump’s foreign policy pronouncements have proved controversial, even within the Republican Party. He has said the United States is too fully engaged around the world and has questioned the role of NATO and said the United States has been taken advantage of by nations benefiting

from its security cooperation and troop presence. Some critics within the GOP have said his policies suggest an isolationist stance in an increasingly dangerous world.

http://fortune.com/2016/07/06/donald-trump-saddam-hussein-terrorist-killer/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Look I really believed that I had to hold david cameron down and take a poo poo in his mouth, you can't fault me for my sincere belief that doing that was the right thing to do so can I have a load of money please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I wonder if the UK or US would veto Tony Blair being tried for war crimes by the UN.

• Locked thread