Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Huxley posted:

Eventually we will have a support matched to every guntype.

Imagine if it was like Pharah, but her rockets healed.
Imagine if it was like Junkrat, but his balls bounced then healed.
Imagine if it was like Reinhardt, but his hammer ... healed.*

* This would actually rule.

Imagine if it was like Roadhog but his hooks healed. Both heal and a pullback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

vorebane posted:

I am confused. Is this supposed to be the fix for sudden death? Why would Blizzard decide to make things harder on the attacking team, nigh universally? Is this some kind of mass typo?

Because at higher ratings, attackers have a huge advantage. I will be interested to see if this actually changes much, you still get ~2 pushes as attackers before hitting the time limit.

Note that the timer doesn't mean it's over as soon as it hits that number, you still get an overtime period.

Edit: I said "over 50ish" originally, but I honestly have no idea where the cutoff is when attackers start having the advantage, so that was completely pulled out of my rear end.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Fibby Boy posted:

A friend of mine has always enjoyed the idea of a stealth medic class. Something that's not meant for combat at all but instead zips around shadows to heal the team. Dunno how it could work but it's a neat idea.

Colour inverted Reaper

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

adhuin posted:

Imagine if it was like Roadhog but his hooks healed. Both heal and a pullback.

Ooooooooh I would hook my teams Hanzos and Genjis all the time :gary:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

vorebane posted:

I am confused. Is this supposed to be the fix for sudden death? Why would Blizzard decide to make things harder on the attacking team, nigh universally? Is this some kind of mass typo?

Because unless you're in the dumpster ranks, attackers win nearly every attack coin flip unless it's Dorado

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Fibby Boy posted:

A friend of mine has always enjoyed the idea of a stealth medic class. Something that's not meant for combat at all but instead zips around shadows to heal the team. Dunno how it could work but it's a neat idea.

I feel like the healer support function has been really stagnant. It's all the tf2 medic or throwing med packs. There are so many cool ideas floating around.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I think a totem-based support hero would have been cool. Auras can't overlap but you could have multiple down, ultimate would buff them, you could recall them, poo poo like that.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
the more encouraging messages you type into team chat per minute the more you heal

typos don't heal though

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I think a totem-based support hero would have been cool. Auras can't overlap but you could have multiple down, ultimate would buff them, you could recall them, poo poo like that.

As a shaman main player in WoW for way too long, don't you dare suggest anything totem-related to Blizzard.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HgejSCHRi8

Dr. Ziegler's design process

"It fires helpful bullets!"

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Zoness posted:

the more encouraging messages you type into team chat per minute the more you heal

typos don't heal though

Unironically down for this.

Scotlander
Jun 22, 2013

vorebane posted:

As well as what's already been said, most of their fixes for sudden death are coming next season (basically making it very hard to happen).

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Zoness posted:

typos don't heal though

Man if they made a typing-game style healer I'd be all over that poo poo.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hell yeah can't wait for a third useless sniper on our teams :toot:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Macaluso posted:

The sniper on a team is often killing a lot of peoples and stopping thems from getting the thingy or whatevers, so I find snipers can be useful.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
It's really hard for Widow to be objectively useless, even if you just count her ultimate as being useful it's ridiculously powerful.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Macaluso posted:

"Everyone stand still so I can headshot heal you." *enemy Widow gets chain kill PotG*

Although honestly I like that they're trying different things to make support classes interesting. It's better than latching on to a heavy and taking a nap in TF2. :shrug:

Even Mercy being awfully like the old TF2 style medic gets to change it up with the damage boost beam. But I do kind of wish she had something else, since you don't have uber to play with. Not entirely sure what another ability for her could even be, but she does have a button free. Maybe something that let you do a bit of skill shot damage yourself while keeping your beam locked, just on a cooldown so you're not constantly mowing things down. I don't know how balanced that would be, just looking for fun toy mostly.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Blizzard, please add a a character I can use to heal my teammates by punching them in the face. I can guarantee it will be popular.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
If it's not an AoE heal grenade that Sombra fires and you actually have to snipe teammates to heal them, i'm going to laugh my rear end off.

"WILL YOU STOP JUMPING AROUND GENJI IM TRYING TO HEAL YOUR rear end!"

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mister Fister posted:

If it's not an AoE heal grenade that Sombra fires and you actually have to snipe teammates to heal them, i'm going to laugh my rear end off.

"WILL YOU STOP JUMPING AROUND GENJI IM TRYING TO HEAL YOUR rear end!"

They could just do it with a soft snap-to autoaim, like you already have for Zarya/Symmetra shields and the like. That's how they do it for the medic in Killing Floor 2, and it works pretty well in there.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I had an idea for a healer that drained health from the red team and used it to make health packs like Torb makes armor. Like some kind of vampire.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

So Luminosity played double hanzo, double Zarya on Dorado against some random team. That was rough, so many combo ults.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

8one6 posted:

I had an idea for a healer that drained health from the red team and used it to make health packs like Torb makes armor. Like some kind of vampire.

I'd rather have that than the inclusion of another character that hangs out a mile away from the objective.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fibby Boy posted:

the game doesnt need another medic that is a non factor in combat imo. Mercy & Lucio are already basically mince meat 1v1 vs anyone. I'd like something closer to Soldier 76 than Mercy for a new healer.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

A sniper that shoots soldiers biotic field at people but it causes that person to become a beacon of healing

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

subx posted:

So Luminosity played double hanzo, double Zarya on Dorado against some random team. That was rough, so many combo ults.

They pulled it out again against the same team on King's Row.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Blizz next please add a character that actually takes damage if he's facing the objective, and kill them instantly if they touch it. He also gives a speed and health boost to the enemy team from anywhere on the map

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

8one6 posted:

seriously people i can only namedrop bloodline champions so many times, that game has a mountain of good ideas:

- Healer who heals by injuring himself, also has health-stealing and fear-based CC
- Roadhog-esque tank character who has both a self-heal and an AoE heal that costs 40% of an ult bar
- Healer who can go temporarily invisible + invincible sorta like Reaper's shift and burst heals locally when the effect ends, and can swap places with teammates
- Healer who's basically Mercy but instead of resurrecting people their ultimate is a giant target-penetrating death laser

All of these characters a) do things besides healing, generally things that help them stay alive and b) require you to intelligently choose between doing those other things or just spamming heals from moment to moment

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

- Healer who heals by injuring himself, also has health-stealing and fear-based CC
- Roadhog-esque tank character who has both a self-heal and an AoE heal that costs 40% of an ult bar
- Healer who can go temporarily invisible + invincible sorta like Reaper's shift and burst heals locally when the effect ends, and can swap places with teammates
- Healer who's basically Mercy but instead of resurrecting people their ultimate is a giant target-penetrating death laser

Noice it's a bunch of Dota heroes

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Brosnan posted:

Noice it's a bunch of Dota heroes

http://ascii-middle-finger.com/

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
the best thing in blc was playing the gunner imo

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
There should be a healer/bard that's also playing ddr while he plays. He buffs and heals as long as he has a 10 note streak

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

My idea was for an Omnic Tanker/Support hybrid. Basically a robot flower that would rotate three colored (Red/Yellow/Blue) petals that have 200HP each. As the petals take damage, they apply health/armor/shields to nearby team-mates.

So basically you're an rear end in a top hat flower that heals if hurt, so enemy opponents have to decide if they want to boost the enemy team at the expense of killing the tank.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I was watching Seagull's stream the other day and he was in the practice range with Hanzo just one shotting bots as quick as possible. I see why now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Christ I'm losing almost every single competitive game. I know I'm terrible at the game but I can't be single handedly dragging every team down THAT badly right?

I don't understand how it's statistically possible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Christ I'm losing almost every single competitive game. I know I'm terrible at the game but I can't be single handedly dragging every team down THAT badly right?

I don't understand how it's statistically possible.

Who are you playing and what do you think the biggest flaw in your gameplay is?

That's the first thing you should ask yourself

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

wow mccree is actually really fun now that you can't rely on fan. too bad he's really squishy for his role. i think he needs 250 hp or maybe slightly less damage falloff from his m1

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

I was watching Seagull's stream the other day and he was in the practice range with Hanzo just one shotting bots as quick as possible. I see why now.

Yea, he does that at the end of his stream usually. The first times I saw it, I thought it was just some video being played while he said goodbye, but drat he just dings their little bot heads non-stop with ease.

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
There's a pretty good faq on ranks in the cs:go thread (used to be at least) which is essentially that

Q: What do I need to do to rank up?
A: Be good enough to carry your team more than 50% of the time
Q: Wait, if that's for each rank, that means that the difference between bottom and top ranks...
A: Yep

I mean, it's a bit different since you don't have classes or set roles in the same sense and it's a scale of 1-100 instead of silver-global elite. But in a way if you're good enough to carry, some heroes def. have more carrying potential than others. A good zarya will be able to save a lot of people from their own stupidity and force a fight initiation with her ult, since pubbies won't be able to resist free kills. In contrast, mercy, no matter how good you are with her, is worthless if your teammates are actually incapable of taking down the opponents. Yeah, you can get the clutch ress, if your teammates are actually grouped up and able to take advantage but... yeah. Apart from that, there are some things that will impact your win%.

Good aim is essential, as is being comfortable with how the movement works in this game. It's gonna feel stupid, but shooting at bots in training range will build muscle memory. Ask a good cs:go player how long they've spent in aim_botz shooting at bots. Map knowledge is also important. Knowing flanking routes etc obviously, but also knowing where the health packs are and when you can afford to steal the ones the other team would like to use will make a surprising difference. Communication is hard with pubbies, but even if you're the only one calling stuff out it more than likely will help a lot. Locations of flankers, turrets, seeing who has their ults up on kill cam... "reaper above you about to ult" can often be the difference between a hooked ult and a team wipe.

Ults in general are obvious in their strength in the game, but how are you using them? An ult to get even 3-4 kills if your team is still running from spawn and the other guys will be up again and in position by the time they get there is a wasted ult. Coordinating them is huge, as is knowing how to avoid the other teams ults. If their zarya and tracer have their ults for example, you probably don't want to all bunch up when they push you.

A lot of people just do something because who wants to wait around, but if your team has your ults built up and theirs doesn't, skirmishing pointlessly won't probably do a lot of good. Overextending in general is a huge factor in a lot of lost games, be it from getting excited about continuing that sick triple kill or chasing down an enemy who is at 20 hp and about to reach the rest of his team. You generally don't want to end up in a fair fight, but overwhelm and make the other team overextend if possible.

Also, pressing H more often does wonders. If you're getting countered, or even if you aren't but aren't playing a core hero, take a look at their setup. Is there a hero that can basically nullify two of theirs? You should probably play that. A lot of koth games are won, even at a higher rating when a team loses the first map but adjusts during it, ending up with a strong counter comp that the other team never starts countering properly.

If you really want to git gud at games, the best way is to record a few games you play and watch them afterwards. What was I thinking there? Whoa, I should've seen that coming. Oh next time I can... it's a bit harder with no functioning demo system, but still doable.

edit: The game is kind of deceiving about it, with the almost instant respawns and keeping your ult charge, but winning competetive games is largely about not dying. Sounds obvious, but try playing a few quick games and just focus on staying alive while still fulfilling your role in the team. It makes a huge difference if you can get away, find some hp and come back in 5 seconds instead of 20.

Kehveli fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Perestroika posted:

They could just do it with a soft snap-to autoaim, like you already have for Zarya/Symmetra shields and the like. That's how they do it for the medic in Killing Floor 2, and it works pretty well in there.

The problem with this is that the autoaim can be a detriment if you're trying to pick someone out of a group. As a frequent Mercy player, I can attest to how annoying it is trying to latch onto a Tracer for a free ride back to the front lines when there's a lumbering Roadhog in the way and your guardian angel ability keeps snapping to his prodigious bulk. Same thing with trying to get Zen orbs to stick to the right person.

If they're doing snipe heals, it would be more interesting to go all out and make it a high skill/high reward ability. Use normal attack hitboxes, give it a (relatively) slow refire rate, even reward headshots (make it give an extra temp shield or something to the target) and then make it heal for a ton so that it's worth it.

Of course the downside is people whose opinion of their own skills doesn't match reality trying to play it and dragging the team down. But that's a problem for almost any class anyway.