Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ComradeCosmobot posted:

welp

But it seems that QCS already has a mention of this in the tech thread so we'll have to deal with Safari until it's fixed server-side.

Fixed now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I got the bouncing bookmarks for a couple seconds. It was overrated.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Caithness posted:

Every thread was telling me I needed archives to view it, so I tried logging out to see if that would fix it... and now I can't log back in. Deleting and reinstalling the app didn't help. I remember reading about a problem like this in this thread before, but I don't remember what the solution was.

When I went to log in on a browser to make sure I was typing my password correctly I got an SSL error, though. That could have something to do with it.

I'm getting this as well, although I didn't do any troubleshooting whatsoever.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
I got back in and can view threads again.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
But now that I reinstalled the app is freezing every time the screen orientation changes.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Is there a reason you can't block someone from the app?

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!

Caithness posted:

But now that I reinstalled the app is freezing every time the screen orientation changes.

I can unfreeze it by switching to another app and locking the orientation before switching back.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

On my iPhone 6S when I rotate it to landscape view it won't switch back to portrait view when I hold my phone upright.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

zen death robot posted:

This happens on my 6 a lot too

It stopped happening to me on a recent beta, so I can't reproduce it. Maybe it'll be fixed in the next release?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Tapping on an ignored users post to reveal it seems bugged. Sometimes it brings up a random post from the thread, and if it's the last post sometimes it doesn't show up.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
hello thread,

I'm having an issue where some threads on my bookmarks are showing up twice. whenever this happens, it messes up with clicking, where I'd click a thread and it will highlight a thread 2-3 threads down instead and open that. I've noticed its only threads that I've created that get duplicated. It's severely hosed Up. Prior to the SSL weirdness, it hasn't happened to me for months, but now its happening again! :wth:!! Maybe the broke SSL messed up caches or something?

Wack-rear end screenshot:

Note: its the computer threads. dont let ur eyes fool u!! ! -- the wifi names threads are not duplicates!!

obstipator fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 7, 2016

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Posting from the iOS 10 public beta :toot:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Never installing a beta on my phone again after the ios7 beta started blasting a podcast at max volume during a conference call

Bonus points for it being bed music of that sublime song w the sound of a bong rip and me shouting "gently caress" really loud

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Seeing a lot of tweets with video on ipad not playing. The twitter play icon vanishes and is replaced with the stock ios one but a spinny loading indicator starts and never goes away

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Same on iPhone. Plays if you tap the date and open the tweet in web view.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That leads to another bug - the twitter page loads in the main view instead of pushing another viewcontroller so you lose your place in the thread

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Regular Nintendo posted:

That leads to another bug - the twitter page loads in the main view instead of pushing another viewcontroller so you lose your place in the thread

That's going to be a little tricky to fix, I think, because it will require dicking around in the Twitter-generated HTML stuffs. I keep meaning to look at it.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Landscape display is broken after the update on my 6S. Once the screen has rotated the app becomes unresponsive :(

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Subjunctive posted:

That's going to be a little tricky to fix, I think, because it will require dicking around in the Twitter-generated HTML stuffs. I keep meaning to look at it.

It's a minor pain in the rear end but there is a workaround, if you tap on the twitter name it'll push to a new vc and you can just scroll to find the tweet. The fresher the thread/post the less of a pain it is.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Would a long press or optional.3d press on a post work as a solution for last unread post?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Would a long press or optional.3d press on a post work as a solution for last unread post?

Do you mean "mark this post as unread"? There's "mark read" on the preceding post for that. (I think the ergonomics would be better as mark-unread, but I am in the minority.)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just saying that I'm still on a 4S as a broke dude and I hope that 3d press doesn't come along to provide some benefits that people like me can't have. Long press is all right though.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Whenever I try to filter Games by the Trout tag I get no results, unless I back out to the forums list and click on Games again I get like a second before it refreshes and returns the normal forum view.

Should be fixed in the next version.

goferchan posted:

I'm just curious, do you get metrics on what font sizes are the most popular and on what devices?

Nope.

quote:

I'm on an iPhone 6 with my iOS display settings set to the second-smallest font size and 70% scale text in the Awful settings. Text looks great to me but emoji are really, really tiny with those settings. I'm wondering if it's worth it (or even possible?) to bump up their size a little bit (or standardize it regardless of scale text settings?) or if I'm just a weirdo who uses unusually small font. Hoping this sets the record for the most trivial and low priority feature/fix request of all time for the app btw but if it doesn't I wouldn't be surprised

It's certainly worth adding to the list!

El Burbo posted:

It's pretty consistent for me.

I tried to make this post with an edited screenshot. It wouldn't post ("image upload failed, an unknown error occurred (code 0)") until I took it out. It's not just cropping either, but any change with the editor that makes it fail.

On a regular iphone 6

Good to know, thanks!

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Whenever I share an image to GroupMe, it successfully posts but I then have to force close the Awful app. I can't swipe the image back down nor can I tap "done"

iPhone 6+

E: okay just tried it again and the text I sent with it posted but no image. And the Awful app didn't freeze; I could swipe it back down. Oh well. Guess I'll stick with copy image url.

Will add it to the list! Just to double-check, you're long-pressing an image in a post, then tapping the share button and picking GroupMe?

carry on then posted:

Hey pokeyman, when you say "maybe possibly jump to posts better" do you mean there's a condition I missed where it won't? If so let me know and I'll go investigate it.

Grundulum posted:

When the latest Awful app version restores from the background, it doesn't return to my last position on the page. I need to scroll down to where I was in order to continue avoiding work reading. Something broke the update before last; any idea what happened?

Stare-Out posted:

Hey so here's a bit of a request, I remember way back when that Awful would somehow default to opening to the favorites page when you started the app. I don't know if it's an iOS thing but now it seems to open to the forums list exclusively. Can anything be done about that?

I took it out when we implemented saving/restoring state between launches. The thinking being that it shouldn't be needed unless you're force-quitting Awful all the time.

Iron Prince posted:

I think I saw someone mention it already, but now since I updated if I rotate the app into landscape mode, i can't rotate it back and the app becomes unresponsive and I can't click anything until I close out and reopen the app.

It only seems to happen when browsing a forum. It rotates in and out just fine while in a thread or making a reply. This is on an iPhone 6s if it matters.

Will take a look!

ZeeBoi posted:

Sometimes my bookmark list continually bounce while the loading smiley shows up.

New one to me but sounds pretty weird. Any idea how to reproduce it?

smackfu posted:

Would it be possible to set the last read post only when I exit the thread, and only to the last post I have seen? I think current behavior matches the website, where last read is set to the end of the current page as soon as you open the thread. The app has the ability to be smarter I would think.

I've thought about this here and there. In my head I see a bunch of annoying edge cases, most of which are mentioned in response to you, and that's probably why I haven't tried to implement it. For now I've just trained myself to hit "mark read up to here". I do think we can figure it out, but it's surprisingly tricky. I think.

baram. posted:

if I try copying and pasting a link to a tweet the forums embedded it seems to just be copying https://forums.somethingawful.com

Not sure what's going on here, but I'll add it to the list! That is the base URL of the document (for mostly a stupid reason), but why that's what gets copied isn't yet clear to me.

Trevor Hale posted:

Is there a reason you can't block someone from the app?

The honest answer is because I've never felt the need to ignore someone and nobody else has gotten around to implementing it. Shouldn't be difficult to do if anyone finds the determination.

Kazy posted:

Tapping on an ignored users post to reveal it seems bugged. Sometimes it brings up a random post from the thread, and if it's the last post sometimes it doesn't show up.

Will add it to the list!

Regular Nintendo posted:

Seeing a lot of tweets with video on ipad not playing. The twitter play icon vanishes and is replaced with the stock ios one but a spinny loading indicator starts and never goes away

Listed!

Regular Nintendo posted:

Subjunctive posted:

YouTube embeds pull a similar trick that I handled in the UIWebViewDelegate, so I'm hoping that'll work here too.

Subjunctive posted:

Do you mean "mark this post as unread"? There's "mark read" on the preceding post for that. (I think the ergonomics would be better as mark-unread, but I am in the minority.)

I agree, but not strongly enough to go against what the Forums proper does.

Stare-Out posted:

Just saying that I'm still on a 4S as a broke dude and I hope that 3d press doesn't come along to provide some benefits that people like me can't have. Long press is all right though.

I am also a 3D Touch non-haver so I wouldn't worry about that. Though iOS 10 drops your lil phone so your days are numbered.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

thanks again pokeyman and everyone else involved with the project.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Apologies if it's already been mentioned, but a couple times now I've seen a pull-for-next-page instead refresh the current page (even if it's nowhere near the end of the thread, like page 6 of 30). I unfortunately can't yet find any pattern to when this happens and it seems pretty rare, but it is rather confusing for a moment. I can at least just hit the next page button instead when it happens, so that does still work.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Definitely getting the horizontal locking bug on my iPhone SE.

Unrelated, I notice some (one?) of the new banners wasn't added, the "AIDS" banner. Fear of Apple rejection or has no one made an awful.app version?

I only noticed cause I have the YOSPOS Apple thread bookmarked :shobon:

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 11, 2016

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

pokeyman posted:

New one to me but sounds pretty weird. Any idea how to reproduce it?

I dare say it happens randomly, but I think it occurs when the refresh happens without me pulling down.

It's only been happening since you added that animated emoji instead of a throbber.

I'll do some tests...

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

pokeyman posted:

I took it out when we implemented saving/restoring state between launches. The thinking being that it shouldn't be needed unless you're force-quitting Awful all the time.

Ah, cool. I figured it also has to do with the tiny amount of memory my 4S has so if any app does anything while Awful is in the background it resets it immediately.

pokeyman posted:

I am also a 3D Touch non-haver so I wouldn't worry about that. Though iOS 10 drops your lil phone so your days are numbered.
Yeah, I'm eyeing an SE currently. The 4S served me well though!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I'm also having the issue where the bookmarks page going into landscape mode causes the app to seize up. Iphone 6s here.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Stare-Out posted:

Ah, cool. I figured it also has to do with the tiny amount of memory my 4S has so if any app does anything while Awful is in the background it resets it immediately.

Yeah, I'm eyeing an SE currently. The 4S served me well though!

I went from 4S to SE recently and it's a great switch!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Feature suggestion: an option to drag the bookmarks/thread list panel to either side in landscape mode on iPad. I want to scroll left-handed sometimes.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Kazy posted:

Have had this issue for the last two app versions I believe. Sometimes tapping to view post will bring up another ignored post and tapping that one will load a third random one

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

The app is currently displaying threads very incorrectly for me. Text and images all over the place.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

My girlfriend just showed me her Awful app on the bookmarks screen and it was just bouncing on its own. Is that a feature or a bug? She says it does it when you pull to refresh.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It's a bug. Although, one that doesn't happen to me quite as often as I'd like. Possibly related to what stops any view with a NigglyRefreshView from rotating back to portrait? I gotta hook that thing up to the debugger and have a look at the view stack one of these days...

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is there a way to see the poster post counts of a thread like when you click on the number column on the full website?

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Anonymous Robot posted:

I'm also having the issue where the bookmarks page going into landscape mode causes the app to seize up. Iphone 6s here.

Same, but iPhone 6. 6s sounded too much like success, and I don't need my phone to have such a snappy name.

The landscape freeze is real annoying, and not just in bookmarks. If I start the app in landscape, it starts frozen.
Great app otherwise.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

What determines when the bookmark page auto refreshes when you click it as opposed to having to pull down

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
Do you reckon there is ever going to be a way to cache threads for offline reading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

N]

• Locked thread