Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

1C
2A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Zaodai posted:

Maybe it's one of those quirks about a poorly shielded reactor? That'd be even worse, right?

[EDIT] Also we're the defender, so it's not like they can have pre-hidden Elementals. At least that will be in our favor.

If you think infantry can't infiltrate a city, even in powerarmour i dunno what to tell you. Also AIRDROPPED ELEMENTALS could be a thing. We are against snow ravens, they may not be goliath scorpions but if they are coming from daemon hawks they'd prob refit some kirghiz to airdrop in PA troops.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If Amaris' super secret base that the Clans believe is the lynchpin of his super weapon for blowing up WarShips could be flawlessly infiltrated by Elementals at any time, why would there be a battle? You just send the Elementals in to blow up the place. It's not like it's even an honor thing, since you're attacking Space Hitler's Death Start, as far as they know.

I'm not saying they won't bring some with them, but it seems incredibly unlikely we actually have to worry about them being pre-seeded all throughout the map.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

1C because swamps, hell yeah, and 2A because new poo poo.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
1C
2A

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
1B Because we didn't just raid an airfield for nothing.

2B Because I want to be contrarian. Also the mechs we already have seem to be fine.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

I think you mean our medium pilots.

Now if it was only the Bobcat Mk.II, then we'd be talking. :fap:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Zaodai posted:

If Amaris' super secret base that the Clans believe is the lynchpin of his super weapon for blowing up WarShips could be flawlessly infiltrated by Elementals at any time, why would there be a battle? You just send the Elementals in to blow up the place. It's not like it's even an honor thing, since you're attacking Space Hitler's Death Start, as far as they know.

I'm not saying they won't bring some with them, but it seems incredibly unlikely we actually have to worry about them being pre-seeded all throughout the map.

It's the clans. EVERYTHING'S about honor.

Besides, the Demon Hawks will be there. Do YOU want to be the clan that had the opportunity to fight them and not do it?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Technowolf posted:

Besides, the Demon Hawks will be there. Do YOU want to be the clan that had the opportunity to fight them and not do it?

So blowing the plant with your invisible supermen is dishonorable, but luring your enemy into the invisible supermen as a cowardly ambush is not? I dunno. I think they'll have some elementals on their flanks and scouting, I just don't think the whole city will be seeded.

Bring your Active Probes, kids. Maybe Uncle Stevie has some satellite imagery in his magical van of wonder he can provide us so we can be sure they haven't snuck anybody in before hand.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
1C and 2A.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
1C and 2A

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

So blowing the plant with your invisible supermen is dishonorable, but luring your enemy into the invisible supermen as a cowardly ambush is not?

Zaodai, I don't say this very often but you are completely underestimating the Clan psyche. The Clan way of life isn't about honor, it's about justification.

They will do absolutely anything necessary to win a fight if they can find any way at all to justify it.

And hey, if anyone questions that justification they can just prove themselves right by fighting their accuser to the death serious injury.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Zaodai, I don't say this very often but you are completely underestimating the Clan psyche. The Clan way of life isn't about honor, it's about justification.

They will do absolutely anything necessary to win a fight if they can find any way at all to justify it.

And hey, if anyone questions that justification they can just prove themselves right by fighting their accuser to the death serious injury.

The post I was responding to was someone literally saying everything was about Honor.

They could easily justify sneaking the Elementals in to blow the factory as a victory over the Hawks because the Hawks failed to protect the objective. It would be a HUGE victory for the Elementals themselves, honor wise. You're preaching to the choir on the Honor vs Justification debate.

My overall point is that they wouldn't stop at a half measure. If they're abusing invisible elementals, they'll abuse them super hard. If they're not, they'll just be used as scouts and flankers, as basic Clan doctrine would suggest. Honestly, I wouldn't be opposed to the city fight turning out to be a patrol to stop elementals from trying to sneak by you. It would definitely be different, if nothing else. If the defense holds for X number of turns, then the officer in charge gets antsy and calls in the mechs because the elementals "failed" and the fight proceeds from there.

Scary fight.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ah, alright. I misunderstood.

Canon Clanners able to justify insane things: Pretty much all of them.

When Mechwarrior Dawn was exiled from the Steel Vipers for not being able to justify (via glorious hand to hand combat against an Elemental) her unit's loss against and near-complete annihilation by the Crimson Reapers (posing as Thomas Marik's Knights of the Inner Sphere and working for canon Stefan Amaris VIII) she was still able to justify becoming a mercenary because she wasn't personally taking the money. It was just being used incidentally to provide her with food, shelter, a BattleMech, and ammunition.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Voyager I posted:

1C, 2A

When someone asks if you want to fight Clanners on a battlefield that's hostile to Elementals and infantry, you take them up on it.

solid argument. As fun as it sounds to kool-aid man a building, it was awfully hard to actually do in practice. :\

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009
With all this Elemental talk, I'm wondering if you can refit an Awesome with Plasma Rifles in place of the PPCs.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Psion posted:

solid argument. As fun as it sounds to kool-aid man a building, it was awfully hard to actually do in practice. :\

Also the Pirate mission was kool-aiding through some space-brazilian shantytown that didn't even have the streets paved. Fighting in a real city will be a pain in the rear end on a whole different level.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
1. B: Lost cause, but I want to see more mech feet crushing cockpits.
2. A: Jason can't afford to keep taking that kind of punishment. Also he's a good enough pilot that maybe he could grow into the protagonist of mechassault.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

PoptartsNinja posted:

I think you mean our medium pilots.
One of the variants has TSM and a sword. :black101:

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 7, 2016

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Voyager I posted:

Also the Pirate mission was kool-aiding through some space-brazilian shantytown that didn't even have the streets paved. Fighting in a real city will be a pain in the rear end on a whole different level.

Kool aid manning through a shanty town... to suplex people!

"Welcome to Suplex City, bitch!" - Brock Lesnar's 80's space pirate mech-wrasslin' counterpart.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Hard choice, but I think I'll go 1C 2A

Want to see that swamp!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

PoptartsNinja posted:

Fun fact about swamps:

They don't slow `Mechs down (it's the river tributaries that'll do that) unless you jump into a swamp hex.

Don't jump into a swamp hex, there's a good chance that'll immobilize you.

Running with house rules? My experience with swamps is much more static, using the +1 MP and auto-bog on jump from TacOps.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

1C, 2A

You know we're gonna get surprise sylphs, though. Somehow.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

When Mechwarrior Dawn was exiled from the Steel Vipers for not being able to justify (via glorious hand to hand combat against an Elemental) her unit's loss against and near-complete annihilation by the Crimson Reapers (posing as Thomas Marik's Knights of the Inner Sphere and working for canon Stefan Amaris VIII) she was still able to justify becoming a mercenary because she wasn't personally taking the money. It was just being used incidentally to provide her with food, shelter, a BattleMech, and ammunition.

Hahah. And look at all the the poo poo the thread was sayin about clanners aren't compatable with the mercenary lifestyle.

Hilarious.

"I'm putting ALL OF THIS DOSH in an expense account, and only using it to pay to fight things, and none of it myself. That's allowed!"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

TheParadigm posted:

"I'm putting ALL OF THIS DOSH in an expense account, and only using it to pay to fight things, and none of it myself. That's allowed!"

No, sadly she still wouldn't have anything to do with the running of a mercenary unit and would absolutely refuse to accept money for fighting. But she'd absolutely fight to defend the person feeding her and wouldn't bat an eyelash at someone just giving her a gift (of clothing or a usable BattleMech etc, etc).

They gave her a Shadow Hawk, incidentally. That's another book I'd love to Let's Read, it's so goofy and bad and I love every page of it.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.
Hmmm. I don't think that the Sidegrade option could even lose at this point, even if everyone from here on out who chimes in does so against it. Not that I was going to either, but its amusing to see how practically unanimous it has been. That said.

1C) Morgaine River Delta: Not only to see some new terrain in the thread, not only to be potentially nicer to Poptarts in his map design workload, but also because it can gently caress over enemy jumpers just as much as it can infantry. Which isn't to say there won't be any crazy Clanner jackasses planning to find a way to bring Elementals into the fight anyway. But it should limit a spiritual successor to the Lucerne or Super Sentai Goshawk Squad from showing up.

Of course, the next mission will likely have frontline units instead. Sooooo...there's that too.

Of course they should take the sidegrade while they are at it. Free potential advantages for the fight...well, free beyond the politics that could result.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Man how disastrous would a defeat be? Every mission we play, other than maybe the first few, seems like Do or Die for the characters the players' are playing.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Artificer posted:

Man how disastrous would a defeat be? Every mission we play, other than maybe the first few, seems like Do or Die for the characters the players' are playing.

That might be a fun mission - essentially a training scenario where there's like 12 players in 5/6's up against 4 'teachers' that are 2/3s, and the players have the mutual goal of 'winning', but may also have personal goals like the Pirate Mission.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Artificer posted:

Welcome to the wonderful world of armed aggression.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

berryjon posted:

That might be a fun mission - essentially a training scenario where there's like 12 players in 5/6's up against 4 'teachers' that are 2/3s, and the players have the mutual goal of 'winning', but may also have personal goals like the Pirate Mission.

There was that one test a few missions ago that was to test into a prestigious unit. That wasn't too bad for failure. They weren't gonna die/get their friends killed by failing.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I'd like to change my map vote to 1C, since this allows more people to participate in the next glorious battle.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Artificer posted:

There was that one test a few missions ago that was to test into a prestigious unit. That wasn't too bad for failure. They weren't gonna die/get their friends killed by failing.

We could have had a golden commando :(

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Also changing my map vote to 1C because new terrain is a novelty for something that's gone on this long.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Great Beer posted:

We could have had a golden commando :(

It was a golden locust! :eng101:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

A reminder that PTN doesn't allow vote changing because it makes things more work than necessary to keep track of it all.

(Unless that itself has changed?)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Have confidence in your choices.

Especially if you regret them later!

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I still think that city is a great environment for our Dadlad, so I vote 1A.

Also 2A, because every new toy we got was sweet so far.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to join in with:
1C
and
2A

However, I'll note that 1B sounds like it means we could have people running up to clan mechs, pushing them, and watching them tumble down the mountain and right off the map.
That sounds like a wonderful way to troll clan mechwarriors.
Maybe we could set up some mech-size bowling pins at the bottom of the mountain to aim the clan mechs at?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

PoptartsNinja posted:

Jojoken Outskirts: doesn't need my help. The map will take longer to set up than all of the others because I'll need to make more buildings to keep it from looking like garbage.

I never got any feedback on the buildings I made months ago. If they're usable, I can crank out a few more, even if we don't get a city map this battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Technowolf posted:

Elementals treat the Clan honor code with significantly less reverence than Mechwarriors. They do a lot of dirty special forces kind of hard assaults, like airdropping into command centers and murdering all the commanders, so I would expect that if they could have blown it up with commando Elementals, they'd have done so already.

• Locked thread