Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Duckman2008 posted:

More Everything likely won't get any of the new features. The main benefit to more everything will just be that lines are $15 a month off contract vs $20. So unless you have a bunch of people on the plan, most people will probably want to switch to the new plans. Depends on your plan though.

I have the 30gb for $110 promo still, so probably wouldn't switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Luchadork posted:

That's why I'd love to see Verizon do some kind of "music freedom" deal, because that's where like half my data usage comes from.

The FCC has been looking askance at such zero-rating deals as being violations of net neutrality. Verizon's done it for services they run like Go90 but I suspect without a bigger competitive threat they won't want to both give away data and annoy the FCC.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

FordPRefectLL posted:

I have the 30gb for $110 promo still, so probably wouldn't switch.

Yeah I wouldn't give up that plan either.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Duckman2008 posted:

One big hold up to consider:

Your plan is $60 for 2GB. You can still sign a 2 year contract and your rate stays at $60. The new plans you don't get a discount phone for the price. So as an example, the out of contract price for the 3GB plan is $65 ($45 + $20), but you either have to buy phone outright or it goes up by $20 on two year contract.

I'm just saying, the plan you have is a good plan, so think it over. Assuming you aren't going over your data every month.

Gotcha - here's the deal on that: I got myself on that contract and a iPhone 5s about 2.2 years ago. So I think my subsidy for the iPhone is paid off (it was a 16GB 5s). I've since replaced that with another phone that I paid for in full.

So I just need to make sure that I am fully "paid off" on the 5s before I jump to a MTM "t-shirt" plan. I think.

It has a splash that says I am eligible for an upgrade - so I assume that means I am done with my original contract with the phone.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 4, 2016

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

Gotcha - here's the deal on that: I got myself on that contract and a iPhone 5s about 2.2 years ago. So I think my subsidy for the iPhone is paid off (it was a 16GB 5s). I've since replaced that with another phone that I paid for in full.

So I just need to make sure that I am fully "paid off" on the 5s before I jump to a MTM "t-shirt" plan. I think.

It has a splash that says I am eligible for an upgrade - so I assume that means I am done with my original contract with the phone.

Yeah you would be done then. Just making sure you knew that you had the option to get discounted vs full price phones. If you bought your current phone outright then yeah, you can move to the 3GB plan. Going forward you'll just always buy phones outright or on payment plan.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Cool I appreciate the heads up in that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CNET has more info on the plans, looks like pricing is increasing along with the data.

quote:

The low-end "S" plan will go up by $5 to $35 a month, but will include 2 gigabytes of data, twice as much as before. The "M" plan will go up by $5 to $50 a month, while its data will rise from 3GB to 4GB. The "L" plan will go up by $10 to $70 a month, while data increases from 6GB to 8GB. The "XL" plan will go up by $10 to $90 a month, but you'll get 16GB, up from 12GB before. Lastly, the "XXL" plan will cost $10 more at $110 a month, but you will get 24GB instead of 18GB.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I'm going to drop from the medium to the small and call in and get a promo gig to keep me at 3GB for ~$10 less than what I'm paying now.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I'm sticking with M, unless my 20% discount will apply to the S plan now. I average about a gig a month if I'm not traveling, since I'm usually on wifi at home or work. I don't recall what the cutoff is. On the plus side, 4GB would probably be fine for both my wife and I when we move her to my plan in Aug/Sept.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

So do those "t-shirt plans" include any other major fees like line charges or phone access fees?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm currently on More Everything 8gb plan which is $85 base with two lines that are M2M so the $40 line access charge becomes $15.

So, it seems like a no brainer to switch to the 'L' plan. While my line access charges will go up $10 /month total, the base plan drops by $15 /month. So, I come out ahead.

None of this is what I actually pay since I have a 22% /month discount, but regardless, I'll be paying less.

I really could drop down to the 'M' plan since I almost always use under 3gb /month. But work is paying the majority of my bill on top of the discount, so I like to have the buffer and not worry at all about data.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

So do those "t-shirt plans" include any other major fees like line charges or phone access fees?

$20 /smartphone, $10/tablet or standalone hotspot.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

PitViper posted:

I'm sticking with M, unless my 20% discount will apply to the S plan now.
That's what I'd like to see, too. Currently discounts only apply to data plans of $34.99 or more, but frankly I'll be shocked if that doesn't go up to $40 or more next week.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

No. I pay an additional $7 on top of that fox taxes and fees. I believe that varies based on your service address too. When I moved it dropped by $2.

I figure I can go to the new 4GB plan plus the safety net thing and my bill will go from about $70 to about $85 but that doubles the data. :shrug:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 5, 2016

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

The smaller plans (small to large) you'll have to pay a few dollars a month if you want safety net.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I have a personal account with an iphone, contract ends 10/2016. I also have an iphone through the company I work for.

I want to close out my personal line, but I want to keep the number and port it over to this work phone. Work doesn't have any problem with me doing that, but they're also not very helpful, it's up to me. How do I go about doing this?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Unless you're set up as an administrator on your company's account, I don't think there's any way you can do that without their direct involvement.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I actually have a page that I can go to on my intranet that walks me through it, so that part's ok, but I'm a little nervous about canceling my personal account. The whole point is to cancel it so I can port my personal number - so how do I cancel without losing it? Is there some time period after my account's paid off that I still retain my old number?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jackpot posted:

I have a personal account with an iphone, contract ends 10/2016. I also have an iphone through the company I work for.

I want to close out my personal line, but I want to keep the number and port it over to this work phone. Work doesn't have any problem with me doing that, but they're also not very helpful, it's up to me. How do I go about doing this?

You can't do this without porting out and porting back in. I would just port your personal number to google voice

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Google Voice is still a thing? I remember using it years ago for some reason, don't even remember why.

It looks like I can setup my personal number in Voice, cancel my personal phone contract, and then have my work phone ring when someone dials/texts that personal number. Right? Is having that number tied to Voice pretty hassle-free? Any chance of Google abandoning Voice?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jackpot posted:

Google Voice is still a thing? I remember using it years ago for some reason, don't even remember why.

It looks like I can setup my personal number in Voice, cancel my personal phone contract, and then have my work phone ring when someone dials/texts that personal number. Right? Is having that number tied to Voice pretty hassle-free? Any chance of Google abandoning Voice?

Lord knows if Google will keep it, but probably. I use it on my iPhone everyday as my primary number and it works great.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

jackpot posted:

Any chance of Google abandoning Voice?

There is ALWAYS a chance Google abandons a product. Voice has held on for a while, though.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Cozmosis posted:

There is ALWAYS a chance Google abandons a product. Voice has held on for a while, though.

As of Dec 31, 2016, Gmail will be going away as well.

Don't lie, you checked the news

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

The Verge just did a breakdown on tomorrow's plan changes. I'm not currently on a T-shirt plan (More Everything 20GB), myself.

But it looks like, if I'm paying $140 for 20GB right now I should stay there.

If I went to XXL (24GB, 16 isn't enough with all 5 of us), it would go down $30/month, but my access charges would go up $20/month x5 ($100/month). So I would effectively be paying $70/month for 4 more GB.

I believe that's what I'm reading here. Or is it that the line access goes from $40/line to $20/line (we're currently paying $15/line because of Edge)?

edit: http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/6/12105608/verizon-plan-price-increase-carryover-data-safety-mode

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
When data rolls over, does the data that rolls over get used up first or last?

Example for a 2GB plan:
Aug: used 1.5GB, 0.5 rollover
Sept: used 1GB (2.5GB max), 1.5 rollover

Also can you change the plan and features (like safety mode) without paying an extra fee?

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 6, 2016

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

The Verge just did a breakdown on tomorrow's plan changes. I'm not currently on a T-shirt plan (More Everything 20GB), myself.

But it looks like, if I'm paying $140 for 20GB right now I should stay there.

If I went to XXL (24GB, 16 isn't enough with all 5 of us), it would go down $30/month, but my access charges would go up $20/month x5 ($100/month). So I would effectively be paying $70/month for 4 more GB.

I believe that's what I'm reading here. Or is it that the line access goes from $40/line to $20/line (we're currently paying $15/line because of Edge)?

edit: http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/6/12105608/verizon-plan-price-increase-carryover-data-safety-mode

The line access goes from $15 a month to $20. It's only $40 under 2 year contract.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

When data rolls over, does the data that rolls over get used up first or last?

Example for a 2GB plan:
Aug: used 1.5GB, 0.5 rollover
Sept: used 1GB (2.5GB max), 1.5 rollover

Also can you change the plan and features (like safety mode) without paying an extra fee?

Not sure yet on carry over. I'll know tomorrow probably.

Safety mode is $5 a month on plans 12GB and under.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

That $40 access fee is if you are under contract and subsidize a new phone right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

That $40 access fee is if you are under contract and subsidize a new phone right?

Correct. It's almost always cheaper to buy phone outright or on payment plan.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

So mine are on payment plan (Edge) and it shows $40 but discounted to $15. So that would go up to $20 if I moved to XXL, then?

Then that would bring my line access fees to $80 from $60 (4 lines are on Edge), but I'd be saving $30 and getting 4GB more. Effectively saving $10/month and getting more data + rollover and safety net.

Sound right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

So mine are on payment plan (Edge) and it shows $40 but discounted to $15. So that would go up to $20 if I moved to XXL, then?

Then that would bring my line access fees to $80 from $60 (4 lines are on Edge), but I'd be saving $30 and getting 4GB more. Effectively saving $10/month and getting more data + rollover and safety net.

Sound right?

Bingo.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/6/12105608/verizon-plan-price-increase-carryover-data-safety-mode

Basically everything was leaked before today anyway.

New plans are:
$35 for 2GB
$50 for 4GB
$70 for 8GB
$90 for 16GB
$110 for 24GB
$135 for 30GB

Per line charge is either $20 a month out of contract, or $40 if you are still in two year contract.

If you have a work discount it applies to the base plan. Jury is out on if that includes the $35 plan.

Safety net and carry over does not apply to More Everything. Not sure about old TShirt plans.

Safety net and international data to Canada and Mexico are included on the 16 and 24GB plan. They are extra on the cheaper plans: $5 a month for safety net and $2 a day for Mexico and Canada.

They haven't quite said how carry over will work, but I would bet it's exactly how ATT's does: you use your data first, then carry over:
Example: you used 8 of 16GB last month. Therefore the remaining 8 goes to the next month, which would give you 16+8GB. You use the normal 16, then the 8 if necessary. It def expires after one month.

I just changed my plan through the app. If you were getting promotional data, like the 2GB extra they were offering during holidays, you lose that, it doesn't translate to the new plan (super lame).

If anyone isn't quite sure what to do, feel free to post your exact plan (with base rates) and I can help with math.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jul 7, 2016

nerox
May 20, 2001
Just changed from 18gb a month to 16gb/month with rollover and safety net and saving $30/month. Neat.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I am currently on the 1YR Loyalty Smartphone 2GB plan. When I try and change plans in the app it says I need to visit the website or dial *611 to change my plan. Odd.

Also despite the update my app looks the same.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

I am currently on the 1YR Loyalty Smartphone 2GB plan. When I try and change plans in the app it says I need to visit the website or dial *611 to change my plan. Odd.

Also despite the update my app looks the same.

They probably want you to call since you have a loyalty plan and can't go back to that if you switch.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Unlimited plans aren't affected?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

therealjon_ posted:

Unlimited plans aren't affected?

Other than not getting any of the new features no, all old plans are just status quo.

Reading the press release, I don't think the old TShirt plans get the carryover data.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Duckman2008 posted:

They probably want you to call since you have a loyalty plan and can't go back to that if you switch.

Ah that makes sense.

Too bad the carryover data setup kinda' sucks. Going through carryover first would work better.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 7, 2016

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Duckman, question. I'm on a more everything 10GB plan with a bonus 10GB promotion that expires this cycle, so in a few days. I'd like to switch to the new XL plan but if I switch right now I'll lose my bonus data. Is there a way to post date the change or set it to change right when my cycle ends?

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerox
May 20, 2001

Biodome posted:

Duckman, question. I'm on a more everything 10GB plan with a bonus 10GB promotion that expires this cycle, so in a few days. I'd like to switch to the new XL plan but if I switch right now I'll lose my bonus data. Is there a way to post date the change or set it to change right when my cycle ends?

Thank you.

I did it in the myverizon app and it let me select to change immediately or for my next billing cycle.

• Locked thread