Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

WickedHate posted:

He also made sure there was a scene in the pilot set in Engineering so they'd have to build a set for it, or else the entire show would have mostly just used the bridge.

It's not even really a scene, it's like one or two shots of Picard walking across engineering and taking the little elevator up to the second level.

Although one of my favorite stories about Encounter at Farpoint was that Gene really wanted it to be a 1 hour pilot, having been burned on "In Thy Image." Paramount pushed back and really wanted a 2 hour TV movie.

Paramount won that fight so Gene and the rest of the writers went back and padded out the script by adding in the whole Q subplot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have spent entirely too much time contemplating the purchase of a replica of the jacket Kirk wears in Beyond.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Instant Sunrise posted:

Paramount won that fight so Gene and the rest of the writers went back and padded out the script by adding in the whole Q subplot.

That really shows when you realize that they spend a good 5-10 minutes letting the audience watch Riker watch part I on the space TV to get caught up.

Didn't Picard also make him manually dock the saucer section or something in order to show he was cool, putting a thousand men, women, and children in peril for a last minute second job interview?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

We also could have gotten the Kirk and Riker makeout that the world truly deserved.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WickedHate posted:

And his lawyer.

Yeah, Gene had really lost the plot by the time that TNG was being developed (a series of strokes and three decades of drinking and drugging will do that to you) but by all accounts, Leonard Maizlish was the real monster on the set -- sitting in on creative meetings, writing script notes under Roddenberry's name, loving with the directors during shoots, etc. I think he might be the only person involved in early TNG more hated than Maurice Hurley.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Gonz posted:

Was at Bookmans again today.

Saw these:

I see these at flea markets all the time for obscene cheap prices like 10 for $10...so of course I grab them with the excuse of "my kid will play with them when he's older". This bad boy is on my wall as I type this. The Borg drone one they had was badass as all poo poo because it has a spring-loaded spear/energy weapon deal in his arm.

Payndz posted:

Janeway doesn't give a poo poo about any non-main-cast crewperson. Poor Joe Carey almost made it to the end of the series (only for his epitaph from Janeway to be "Turns out exploring the galaxy isn't worth risking a single life. Welp, on we go in our exploration vessel!"), but when Future Janeway comes back in time in 'Endgame' does she arrive a week or so earlier to warn her past self that he's about to die needlessly at the hands of some stupid whiny assholes? Nope, it's all about Seven!

Joe Carey owned and I could not agree more. That dude got the ultimate cock tease being killed off RIGHTTT before they got home.

And speaking of Space Caps yes I have some too. One of these days I'll pop that pog out but for now it remains intact on my desk haha.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Dark One posted:

How could you accuse such an innocent-looking guy of something so nefarious??

quote:

According to the DC Comics comic book "Suspect", his first name was "Terence" and he was murdered around 2369 or 2370. However, according the current Pocket Books continuity, his first name was "Michael", and he was killed aboard the USS Excalibur during the Borg incursion of 2373. He was killed a third time (a second time involving the Borg) during a raid on Earth in "The Worst of Both Worlds", and was killed a fourth time by decapitation by Klingons in an alternate reality from the novel Q&A.

Died on the way back to his home planet in four different continuities.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Argyle

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Star Man posted:

Weird.

Instead, we got that one lady to play the role in "The Naked Now" and she was never seen again.

And Gene liked Frakes's beard that he grew between seasons one and two and told him to keep it because it made him look more nautical. I'm okay with that decision.

Didn't Frakes have the beard before the show? They made him shave it off for Star Trek and then he grew it back for the second season.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Crusher is boring and has zero personality. Try to describe her without using the words "Doctor", "Picard's friend", or "Wesley's mom". You can't.
Has the natural walk of a striptease queen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"This character is super hot with giant boobs and she's always naked and she likes to have sex with me all the time. Also I, Gene Rodenberry, am a character in the show. I teach all the women how to love." Mail this to the studio, Leonard.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I was walking around Target today and saw in the movies section they had an AirHogs NCC-1701-A drone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9mzthxcxyg&t=72s

I'm currently trying to convince myself that I shouldn't spend $120 on a toy.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

remusclaw posted:

Has the natural walk of a striptease queen.

For context.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
No street types please Geordie is smart and talks well and furthermore

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

I want to fornicate with Captain Picard.

Commander Riker is welcome to join us if he's up for a threesome.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

King Possum III posted:

I want to fornicate with Captain Picard.

I was never much into any of the TNG fellas, to be honest.

Sisko, though. Mmm hmm.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

King Possum III posted:

If?

Dude probably has a Horga'hn for a keychain

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

:captainpop:

I guess Gene was really set on some kind of intelligent Jamaican joker for Geordi.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Sash! posted:

If?

Dude probably has a Horga'hn for a keychain

Close. He's got a Horga'hn belt buckle.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Instant Sunrise posted:

Remember Chief Engineer Argyle? One of the chief engineers during TNG season 1? One of ideas they had for season 1 was that the Ent-D was too large and complex for one chief engineer to handle, so they had like 4 that they'd rotate through on the show.

But then they'd need a Chief Chief Engineer to coordinate the Chief Engineers.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Native American Data would have been something alright.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

No street types please Geordie is smart and talks well and furthermore

Interesting that they were thinking of a Jamaican accent.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MikeJF posted:

I was never much into any of the TNG fellas, to be honest.

Sisko, though. Mmm hmm.

drat right Sisko. And I met Cirroc Lofton a couple of years ago at a con. Totes would.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

drat right Sisko. And I met Cirroc Lofton a couple of years ago at a con. Totes would.

Rockin' the Sisko look there. drat right.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Instant Sunrise posted:

Remember Chief Engineer Argyle? One of the chief engineers during TNG season 1? One of ideas they had for season 1 was that the Ent-D was too large and complex for one chief engineer to handle, so they had like 4 that they'd rotate through on the show.

For the guy who played Argyle, he very much wanted to be the only engineer on the enterprise, so his agent started a "save Chief Argyle" campaign.

Only they jumped the gun and started sending "save chief argyle postcards" before any of the episodes with him in it even aired.
I'm guessing there wasn't a "Save Chief Engineer Leland T. Lynch" campaign.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

MikeJF posted:

Interesting that they were thinking of a Jamaican accent.

Jamaican Geordi yelling about coolant leaks, at least in my head, is probably the funniest thing I'll see hear or imagine today, so I may as well go back to bed.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

So Tasha started as a very blatant Vasquez clone, and then died like a very blatant Vasquez clone.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Some of those characters profiles... "she treats Picard and Number One like they're saints"? What the hell Roddenberry.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

FilthyImp posted:

Some of those characters profiles... "she treats Picard and Number One like they're saints"? What the hell Roddenberry.

Because she comes from Planet Rape, she behaves like a slavish third worlder

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

Sounds like Tasha came out of Roddenberry's sexual fantasies.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baloogan posted:

Sounds like Tasha came out of Roddenberry's sexual fantasies.

Roddenberry's progressiveness is only impressive in the 60s when having a minority exist on screen is something new and exciting. "The studio made him get rid of the woman Spock from the pilot because they are mean sexists" is how he spun it, but considering she was played by the woman he was banging...

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
This is canon now. :toot:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Apparently he has a daughter in Beyond, too - I assume she'll be named Demora.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Rockin' the Sisko look there. drat right.

Someone photoshop a TOS insignia on this, the background's already perfect.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
star treks first gay character

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Finally. It's been my head-canon for years anyway.

Man, "head-canon" is really a dumb term.

MikeJF posted:

Apparently he has a daughter in Beyond, too - I assume she'll be named Demora.

Yeah. The thread kinda jumped at me because I assumed Sulu was "canonically straight" because they showed his daughter in Generations, but that doesn't actually mean anything because while they showed a daughter, they never actually said he had a wife...

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cojawfee posted:

Chaos on the bridge is a good watch to see how much Gene really hosed up early TNG.

It also sometimes muddies the waters. See the contrasting accounts of a conversation between Patrick Stewart and... poo poo, some exec at Paramount whose name I'm forgetting, where the exec claims he bullied Stewart into playing ball, and Stewart denies any such conversation took place. Or, hell, Maurice Hurley basically contradicting himself, first saying "oh, yeah, Gene had all these wacky ideas that were a huge pain in the rear end" and then saying "b-b-but i was the only one left fighting for ~Gene's vision~ and that's why i had to quit :qq:"

I can't remember if it was that flick, or Joel Engel's book, that pointed out that TNG went through something like 35+ writers in that first year.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Or, hell, Maurice Hurley basically contradicting himself, first saying "oh, yeah, Gene had all these wacky ideas that were a huge pain in the rear end" and then saying "b-b-but i was the only one left fighting for ~Gene's vision~ and that's why i had to quit :qq:"

This isn't a contradiction according to his past statements. In an early 90s issue of Starlog, he said:

quote:

"That's just the way it is. Star Trek is not like any other show because it is one unique vision, and if you agree with Gene Roddenberry's vision for the future, you should be locked up somewhere...It's wacky doodle, but it's his wacky doodle. If you can't deal with that, you can't do the show. There are rules on top of rules on top of rules...Gene sees this pollyanish view of the future where everything is going to be fine...I don't believe it, but you have to suppress all that and put it aside. You suspend your own feelings and your own beliefs, and you get with his vision...or you get rewritten."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Otisburg posted:

That really shows when you realize that they spend a good 5-10 minutes letting the audience watch Riker watch part I on the space TV to get caught up.

Didn't Picard also make him manually dock the saucer section or something in order to show he was cool, putting a thousand men, women, and children in peril for a last minute second job interview?

That space TV scene was much shorter than that.

Also, I don't think he would have killed everyone if he'd flubbed the docking; worst case is he dings the ship up and maybe busts a docking latch or something.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Also, I don't think he would have killed everyone if he'd flubbed the docking; worst case is he dings the ship up and maybe busts a docking latch or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hthl28SEGfk&t=56s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

It's important to remember that that when a pilot gets made, it's trying to set the tone of how a typical episode will go (and in the face of the bigger shows, trying to set up the premise as well), so adding the saucer separation to far point was them saying "we expect to be doing this in almost every episode."

Also the original plan was to put as many visual effects shots into the pilot so they could just reuse that footage a'la Battlestar Galactica.