Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jintor
May 19, 2014

I'm of the opinion they did it solely because Uchikoshi wanted to experiment with camera angles and ways to direct shots etc, perhaps ultimately to direct that short film that was D-END-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

My favourite thing about the whole Delta reveal is that these games have never been in 3rd person, and any appearance that this one was 3rd person was simply unfair a lie. I seriously love the extent Uchikoshi will go to in order to use the interface of all the games as narrative devices/narrative assistance

I also have a half-cocked idea that you might actually be playing as ? inhabiting the quantum computer itself, to account for timelines where Delta is unavailable to be your eyes.

Edit: Actually that idea has some problems of its own. Oh well.

Good Lord Fisher! fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 7, 2016

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Just realized there's a very very early hint that Sean isn't a normal kid. He literally just picks up the Force Quit Box and starts shaking the hell out of it when Neither Sigma nor Phi could even lift the thing off the table. Then multiple times through the story he's able to throw Eric bodily across the room in self defense, but due to the games habit of panning to the ceiling when some hard to animate action is happening it's not clear if Sean did it or if Mira intervened.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Magnus Condomus posted:

Just realized there's a very very early hint that Sean isn't a normal kid. He literally just picks up the Force Quit Box and starts shaking the hell out of it when Neither Sigma nor Phi could even lift the thing off the table.

Yeah; at this point you're still under the impression that these are three different Force Quit Boxes so it doesn't seem like much of a contradiction. If you manage to get the Door of Truth before the Sean ending then I guess you can make the connection if you're not too busy having your mind blown by the flowchart.

It also took me way too long to start processing the Force Quit Box sequences as being consecutive, with C Team opening the lid, Q Team turning the computer off and on again, and D Team starting the program.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I actually wonder how much the force quit box shifts positions in the voting round

It'd be kind of funny if it ended up where the last team left it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

My notes! Some stuff in here is wrong because I didn't bother going back to fix them after solving it.

quote:

y=5
w=1
r=3
b=2

Fire Ice Crash Dad Time

Eye Kill Fool Future

Blue Red Milk Jump June Virgin

Fight jump poor blue red milk

Fire Crash Five

Eye Kill Fool Moon Fate Save Doll

Self Rip Lake Bird Twin Old

Dream Key QuARK MOM DEAR ARM

Shift Six Ring Age Heart Love

June Jump Virgin Blue Red Milk

dudllr
rlldud

625+1234

3 moons = smaller than 12
2 humans = smaller than 12
1 human 2 moons = greater than 12
1 star = greater than sun
1 star = smaller than flower
wind 0

flower 11
bird 12

11 11 11 7 3

12 9 5 1

14 14 14 7 3
human moon moon, human human, star, sun

violet white blue red

1-3
2-5
3-1
4-2
5-4

4-5
1-2
2-3
5-1
3-4

Red SE
Blue N
Green E
Pink SW

left whirr toward znurr right vree

vreee
znurrr
whirrr
znuur

9 B
2 E
13 R

1 B
8 D
6 T
12 I

5 S
4 E
11 F
14 E

T
Y
E

Green N
Red NE
Blue W
Pink S
Black NW

r raise grass 3 down
l raised sand 5 down
left out wind 7 down

5 down
3 down
7 down
5 down

far left
4 r
1 l
2 l
4 r
3 l

green alex
blue betty
yellow charley

Twins' Birthday

music box
maeterlinck the blue bird

11/16/2029

Delta = Brother = Q

Vive hodie = Live for today

Anagram: the truth is invisible
Anagram: Together with me, we are ten DELTA

6140 4091
3808 0832

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

It's weird that people consistently say they had their "mind blown" by the game, because I never once felt like that.

Closest thing that came to that was the "Every ward is the same" thing, but that didn't seem that crazy.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I was moderately surprised by the Sigma/Phi/Diana stuff, as well as Akane/Junpei teleporting in to resolve the plot hole as to why they weren't alive in the VLR timeline. Nothing overall as crazy as 999's or VLR's big twists though.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I liked that moment after getting the revelation about the time delay, going back to the flowchart and seeing it completely changed. A neat payoff. Probably the closest I got to the dual screen revelation in 999.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Every ward being the same struck me as almost totally pointless and basically just a twist for its own sake. The fact that the watches were lying to them seemed pretty obvious from the beginning, as in I was kind of confused that no one even pointed that out when discussing them, but I was expecting it to go somewhere more interesting than that.

The Delta reveal made me laugh because it seemed like the series was starting to parody itself.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh I thought it was really cool figuring out why the Force Quit boxes were in their various states for each team, which you could do well in advance of the ward reveal.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It does explain that, but it's not really something that needed to be explained. I don't feel like it added anything to the story that "well, there were hidden doors between the wards" wouldn't have. And if you think about it that's kind of exactly what it was anyway, since the doors to the other rooms were simply hidden by the hologram wall thingy.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Clarste posted:

Every ward being the same struck me as almost totally pointless and basically just a twist for its own sake.

It would have explained why the espers couldn't communicate with other teams, but since the game never mentioned that concept outside of one throwaway line from Junpei it's hard to call that relevant.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It explained a bunch of things like how the murders happened on some branches and also is what let the teams come together for the climax of the story

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It explained a bunch of things like how the murders happened on some branches and also is what let the teams come together for the climax of the story

The only weird thing that it does is introduce some weakness into how Q team got to the other side of the decontamination room door

I guess they're all in the decontamination room at one point so the X door might have opened, or they all went through some other door. You never see much of the elevator room, so it can't be ruled out.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Paul Zuvella posted:

It's weird that people consistently say they had their "mind blown" by the game, because I never once felt like that.

Closest thing that came to that was the "Every ward is the same" thing, but that didn't seem that crazy.

999 blew my mind because I hadn't expected something like that before. VLR blew my mind because it was really hard to wrap my head around the concept and it was just kind of wacky in general.

ZLR didn't blow my mind, but I think that's because at that point I'm conditioned to expect something crazy and wacky. I didn't expect a lot of the twists but most of them for me my reaction was something like "Huh, that's cool". That's why I'm glad the series is wrapping up with this one.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

exploding mummy posted:

The only weird thing that it does is introduce some weakness into how Q team got to the other side of the decontamination room door

I guess they're all in the decontamination room at one point so the X door might have opened, or they all went through some other door. You never see much of the elevator room, so it can't be ruled out.
I don't understand what event you're talking about?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ZTD is a game where I enjoyed the journey more than the destination and that is fine by me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

exploding mummy posted:

IIRC didn't Zero specifically say he placed them there?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Nate RFB posted:

I was moderately surprised by the Sigma/Phi/Diana stuff, as well as Akane/Junpei teleporting in to resolve the plot hole as to why they weren't alive in the VLR timeline. Nothing overall as crazy as 999's or VLR's big twists though.

The Sigma/Phi/Diana reveal felt to me like something the player was meant to guess at earlier and watch the characters discover, rather than being a twist itself. Between Phi's eyebrows suddenly being the exact same colour as Diana's hair, the whole "I'm a secret redhead scene just like Diana wink wink" scene, the scene with hugging Diana, Diana herself being the original human that Luna was based on... all the stuff revolving around how Phi came to be wasn't obvious but that she was Sigma+Diana's kid seemed to be.

The twin reveal did catch me off guard though, and again when it turned out to be a boy

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah he specifically had set it up for them to be hit by the blast because normally they should be inside their pods for naptime.

I do wonder if Mira was awake during the blast. Was Q in the same room as her trying to pretend to be asleep and waiting for death while she paced around thinking about ripping Eric's heart out?

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
After sigma and diana name their kids, I decided to enter Delta in the "Who should you shoot" decision in Q team. This is before the actual reveal. And then sean turned to me and shot me and said sorry and I got a little freaked out, or maybe because Im a big gay baby and get frightened easily

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't understand what event you're talking about?

In the VLR ending path, Zero moves Q the into the elevator room on the other side of the decontamination room, so they can be caught by the bom blast.

ImpAtom posted:

That is correct, but it doesn't answer the question.

There are only 2 exits to the elevator observed in the game. The X door and the decontamination room door (which is welded shut).

When Phi is formulating her plan to blow open the door, she appears to be in the decontamination room. Sigma & Phi remained in the lounge.

Sigma & Diana leave the lounge to talk with Phi, and then the 3 move to Manufacturing to get the bomb and open the door.

At some point during this sequence, Q team is moved outside. They can't go through the decontamination room, and the X door is in a room where the characters had been moving in and out of.

Nothing impossible, but the sequencing is a bit wonky if it's in 1 ward instead of 3.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

ZERO ESCAPE 4: YET ANOTHER NONARY GAME
ZERO ESCAPE 4: A TEN HORNY MANATEE ORGY

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

voltcatfish posted:

Will the 999 enhanced port potentially throw a flowchart in with the full voice acting they are adding?

It would fix the game's sole problem.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The terrorist attack that triggered the nuclear war was somehow a nonary game involving the heads of states of the major powers.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

A Nonary game set at the UN.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

a UNary game

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

So apparently the images on the slot machines relate to the 999 characters.

Edit:

OK, I just found out that Fanatic Bio R is an anagram for fabrication. Since that is supposed to be the part of the analogy that refers to the entire terrorist plot, it may be that the entire plot was a lie, and Delta was really just out to make sure he existed and for the lulz.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 8, 2016

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
drat that's a nice touch.

Also maybe Delta just made up the idea of an antagonistic virus to fill in his metaphor and give credence to the BS of clairvoyance. It didn't really matter if Q-team wound up injecting themselves anyways.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

MegaZeroX posted:

So apparently the images on the slot machines relate to the 999 characters.

Edit:

OK, I just found out that Fanatic Bio R is an anagram for fabrication. Since that is supposed to be the part of the analogy that refers to the entire terrorist plot, it may be that the entire plot was a lie, and Delta was really just out to make sure he existed and for the lulz.

Well that and Fanatic Bio R has a 100% death rate compared to Radical-6 and it's a religious fanatic which causes the extinction of the human race.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Well that and Fanatic Bio R has a 100% death rate compared to Radical-6 and it's a religious fanatic which causes the extinction of the human race.

What I'm saying is that perhaps the religious fanatic is a fabrication. Meaning, since Fanatic Bio R was a analogy for the religious fanatic, perhaps there is no fanatic who will destroy the world.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

honestly i think that'd be dumb. too much of the plot is already ontological loops where there's no explanation for why things are the way they are beyond that's what they need to be to close the loop. Making it so Delta released radical six solely as part of closing the loop on his birth would be too much.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Finished last night. I played the Japanese version (that is, Japanese text + voices, on a Vita cartridge bought in Japan). Some notes about translation:

- Every piece of in-universe text is left in English, including the anagrams and the various notes passed between the teams through Gab (VLR also had English anagrams in the Japanese version). The dialogue has the voice actors first attempting to pronounce them in English (to often hilarious result), and then spend another line translating them to Japanese for the benefit of language-challenged players.
- I'm not sure how the English version reads, but the Japanese file about the snail murder specifically says a Japanese man was falsely arrested for it, which makes it even clearer he was there on a business trip abroad or something.
- I entered the twins birthday password in the Japanese date order (20291116) and it worked. I wonder if both orders work in both versions.
- Akane was never June in the Japanese trilogy. She was Murasaki (purple) in 999, named after a grape-shaped doll Junpei gave her and the fact Mu is one way to say 6. All of these details were completely changed in the localization. One of her passwords in Japanese ZTD is still June, though, which means either the developers were lazy or Delta can see through to localization timelines.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

orenronen posted:

Finished last night. I played the Japanese version (that is, Japanese text + voices, on a Vita cartridge bought in Japan). Some notes about translation:

- Every piece of in-universe text is left in English, including the anagrams and the various notes passed between the teams through Gab (VLR also had English anagrams in the Japanese version). The dialogue has the voice actors first attempting to pronounce them in English (to often hilarious result), and then spend another line translating them to Japanese for the benefit of language-challenged players.

This is very strange since I assumed the anagrams made more sense in Japanese to figure out in your head. These games are silly.

Junpei's line about having a phrase back in Japan struck me as something he really should've said in Japanese. Did he say essentially the same thing in the Japanese version?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Well it does take place in America and all.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

orenronen posted:

- Akane was never June in the Japanese trilogy. She was Murasaki (purple) in 999, named after a grape-shaped doll Junpei gave her and the fact Mu is one way to say 6. All of these details were completely changed in the localization. One of her passwords in Japanese ZTD is still June, though, which means either the developers were lazy or Delta can see through to localization timelines.
Oh, could that be the "doll" xpass? I was wondering if I was just forgetting something from the 999 backstory, but I think that might've been straight-up left out in the english localization.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

flatluigi posted:

Oh, could that be the "doll" xpass? I was wondering if I was just forgetting something from the 999 backstory, but I think that might've been straight-up left out in the english localization.

You've forgotten it. The doll was the reason Akane got caught by Ace and thrown into the incinerator in the first place, since she went back to pick it back up

EDIT:
It was also the "jumpydoll" password in VLR.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

flatluigi posted:

I'm pretty sure he gives her a doll in the English version as well, it's just not as important.

Here's a quote I found from the 999 localization editor regarding the issue:

quote:

In the original Japanese, Junpei refers to the doll that he gives to Akane as a "budou doll" and says its name is "Grape." "Budou" is Japanese for "grape", and if you stretch the sound of it, as Japanese people seem wont to do, it sounds kind of like "voodoo." That part of the joke is mostly the same—Akane says something along the lines of "Um...Are you sure it's not a voodoo doll?" and Junpei just about wets himself when he realizes he screwed up. The "For-you doll" thing is a terrible, terrible attempt by me to come up with something that kind of fit what was going on. A bit more creative liberty was taken with the "after June" stuff, though.

In the original game, Junpei also suggests that they call the doll "Junpei", but Akane says that might not be wise, considering that it is a voodoo doll, after all. Ultimately they end up calling it "Purple" (or more accurately "Murasaki", which as you probably know means "purple" and was Akane's codename in Japanese), presumably because grapes are often purple. That makes perfect sense in Japanese, of course, but it was utter nonsense in English. After a great deal of hair-pulling and gnashing of teeth, I grabbed a chunk of text form somewhere else that talked about how they would see each other after the new school year started (which is April in Japan). Since in the US we end the school year in June, that worked out perfectly. I moved that line around, changed a few others, and deleted one or two until it worked. So, the basic idea was there, but how it got from point A to point B had to change quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

flatluigi posted:

JUMPYDOLL was the password to the Q room computer in VLR

• Locked thread