Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Palpek posted:

You have to find out what the name/company of the controller is. Look for any name/marking on the controller itself and then download a specific driver for it - there isn't something like a default driver that will run every single gamepad that you plug into your machine. Ask your friend about it? Maybe he can give you the driver directly?
Thanks, the first part really should have been obvious.

Wamo 3000. The internet is a bit short of drivers, and my friend doesn't have any idea how to connect is (the controller was languishing atop a random shelf for years, which is why he gave it to me).

Neither connecting it via usb nor pressing the "X" (or W) button and getting the XDA lights to flash makes the PC recognize it.

In other news, is there a way to run the Borsodi heist so that Eveline doesn't bugger off / so that you can actually sell things at the auction house later?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Wamo 3000. The internet is a bit short of drivers, and my friend doesn't have any idea how to connect is (the controller was languishing atop a random shelf for years, which is why he gave it to me).

Neither connecting it via usb nor pressing the "X" (or W) button and getting the XDA lights to flash makes the PC recognize it.

Are you sure it's a genuine Wamo? Photos show an 'X' button (since it's an obvious xbox controller clone.) Perhaps you have a cheap knockoff of a Wamo.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Xander77 posted:

It won't just work, only newer controllers have that option and not all of them. It can be that you need a PC with bluetooth to get it to work. Here's one video showing how to get one of those to work on modern Windows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5akrbc5D29E.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

monster on a stick posted:

Are you sure it's a genuine Wamo?
Not in the least, as noted above. It's just what's written on the back of the controller, and what searching for "Wamo 3000" turns up.

Palpek posted:

It won't just work, only newer controllers have that option and not all of them. It can be that you need a PC with bluetooth to get it to work. Here's one video showing how to get one of those to work on modern Windows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5akrbc5D29E.
Not sure, but it also has a usb exit, and trying to connect it that way doesn't turn up anything in "add device" either.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Airfoil posted:

Does anyone bother to upgrade the runewright and pimp the vineyard and poo poo?

I fully did both, felt like the vineyard was worth it but the runewright's stuff was hit and miss.

Sure the vineyard is purely cosmetic, but it was nice that Geralt actually has a nice place to call home instead of that crumbling old relic of Kaer Morhen. Plus the old lady cook is there, I gotta make sure she has a nice home! :shobon:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Xander77 posted:

In other news, is there a way to run the Borsodi heist so that Eveline doesn't bugger off / so that you can actually sell things at the auction house later?

Nope. Happens no matter what. The thing about the Heist mission is that Geralt is only a side player in it. Everything is planned and orchestrated by the stranger who hires you. The problem is, he's not a witcher, and his plan is completely terrible and doomed from the start.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Xander77 posted:

Since I approached you specifically, rather than asking for help in general, that reply was entirely relevant. Thank you.

no problem man

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

monster on a stick posted:

I think I'm approaching the end of Act 1, just unlocked The Last Wish and Ugly Baby, what sidequests are must-do or they will expire? The plot ones I have look like working with the ex-spymaster to take down Radovid, and rescuing the Jarl's son and daughter, plus who knows what else. Also five billion underwater question marks in the ocean off Skellig.

Definitely do the ones you've mentioned there (not the question marks though). Also if you haven't done Following The Thread, you should do that too.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

John Charity Spring posted:

Definitely do the ones you've mentioned there (not the question marks though). Also if you haven't done Following The Thread, you should do that too.

There is the quest Flesh for Sale in the bottom-right Skellige Isle that gets cancelled if you progress in the above mission first.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 7, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Came back to Olgierd after the wedding. Challenge him to a Gwent match, and for some reason my spy cards were both doubled in value after the wedding Gwent game, which would have been fantastic for any card other than the spies.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Xander77 posted:

Not in the least, as noted above. It's just what's written on the back of the controller, and what searching for "Wamo 3000" turns up.
Not sure, but it also has a usb exit, and trying to connect it that way doesn't turn up anything in "add device" either.

Ok dude, you got the correct answer from the thread. Verifying what hardware you have plugged into your computer and using device manager is not something anyone here can do for you.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I believe that's a leader ability, though given whatever glitch perfect storm you're playing in I can't say with confidence it isn't a bug.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Xander77 posted:

Came back to Olgierd after the wedding. Challenge him to a Gwent match, and for some reason my spy cards were both doubled in value after the wedding Gwent game, which would have been fantastic for any card other than the spies.

There's a monster leader card that doubles the power of all spies.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

poor life choice posted:

I believe that's a leader ability, though given whatever glitch perfect storm you're playing in I can't say with confidence it isn't a bug.
Is there a leadership ability that doubles the value of cards before you even chose them? Or while they are on the enemies side of the board?

SirSamVimes posted:

There's a monster leader card that doubles the power of all spies.
Huh. Checked, it's a Nilf deck.

Edit - Ah. Ok, so that's the one Olgierd is playing, and it's the one monster leader whose ability is passive rather than active.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 7, 2016

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Monster decks are frustrating but :smug: when you draw biting frost and Villitrementh.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

Monster decks are frustrating but :smug: when you draw biting frost and Villitrementh.
Nah. Decks full of spies and medics (loving Sasha at the Gwent tournament, I still rage) are annoying as gently caress. Monster decks are predictable and easy (if necessary, you can change your deck a bit to have a few biting frosts in it). I guess Olgierd deck was made specifically to counter the weaknesses.

Still beat him first try, naturally. Even played the spy cards, because hell - biting frost don't care if the spy is 7 or 14.

Edit - ahahaahahah. Wow. After completing a bunch of Death Match fights that were mostly annoying because of how much the fuckers healed themselves, I'm facing off Olgierd's memory specters. He 2 shots me. He four shots me ON THE EASIEST DIFFICULTY. gently caress this expansion.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 7, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You can riposte him.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

You can riposte him.
Yes, but I can't riposte all 6 of him 4 times each.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
IIRC you're supposed to fight his spectres one on one.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

There is the quest Flesh for Sale in the bottom-right Skellige Isle that gets cancelled if you progress in the above mission first.

Welp.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I've done two full playthroughs of the game and am working through a third and I had no idea this quest existed.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Xander77 posted:

Yes, but I can't riposte all 6 of him 4 times each.

His specters are timed or something they only come alive one at a time unless you hit them or you wait a long time.

It's a hard fight like all fights where you're forced onto the defensive. But you can parry and riposte him.

If you got past the gardener and the wife without complaint the Olgierd fight shouldn't be too hard for you.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What is with those drowners north of Hangman's Alley? The underwater crossbow-bonus doesn't seem to do jack on them unlike every occasion.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

If you got past the gardener and the wife without complaint the Olgierd fight shouldn't be too hard for you.
Yes. I got past the gardener and the wife both, because those were fights of "figure out the trick to stop those fuckers from healing". Here, the trick is "are your reflexes absolutely terrible? Eat poo poo, even after turning the difficulty down to the easiest".

And yes, of course I'm fighting the nightmares one at a time.

Edit - Finished the expansion. Assuming the timer on the final quest basically progresses so that you have just a flicker left by the time you figure out the solution?

Overall; quite rubbish. Hope Blood and Wine will be better. Actually, I should go ahead and finish the base game first.

So - Caretaker's spade vs Olgierd's saber. Which is better?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 7, 2016

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The fight against Olgierd's spectres was the hardest part of HoS for me (played on Death March). Managed it with a combination of archgriffon and ekidhna decoctions, liberal usage of quen and baiting the shade away from the others so as not to accidentally activate them during the fight. If you get more than one of those things on you at a time on DM, you've probably lost.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Airfoil posted:

Does anyone bother to upgrade the runewright and pimp the vineyard and poo poo?

So expensive. I'm having enough trouble just putting together cash for my grandmaster set. I'm probably halfway through B&W, so maybe I haven't quite hit the point where fat stacks start rolling in.

If you upgrade at least the cellar at the vineyard, you find a way to turn all those extra monster mutagens into useable blue/green/red mutagens.

As far as the runewright, the most helpful thing I've seen from him is the beginning level arrow deflect enchant.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

John Charity Spring posted:

I've done two full playthroughs of the game and am working through a third and I had no idea this quest existed.

Yea, there's one in kaer morhen with an ifrit that I've missed twice now and just found too late, km pretty annoyed. I can't even think of another ifrit in the game and I want to kill it!

Against the olgierd shades on death march I guess I shouldn't have used bombs. Took me four tries because I'd have a pack of 4-5 of them going at me and it was hard to find a time to swing once without getting instakill even on a vit build.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 7, 2016

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

10 Beers posted:

As far as the runewright, the most helpful thing I've seen from him is the beginning level arrow deflect enchant.

I've played through BaW with this build, which uses the 'increase radius of Rend and Whirl' enchant and the build was pretty great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmT184ADfk8

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

10 Beers posted:

Really? I just poured money into him under the assumption that it will all pay off somehow.

None of his glyphs are useful, in your opinion?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I still say that the one that causes alt-Yrden to cast normal Yrden on hit can trivialize a lot of the fights in Blood and Wine.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is being level 32 and about ready to finish the game too late to start gwent?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Xander77 posted:

Really? I just poured money into him under the assumption that it will all pay off somehow.

Increasing rend and whirl range is super rad, and the ability to make any armor set light/medium is good because I like light armor but wolf armor looks best. Probably not best from min/max spreadsheet damage calculations but whatever.

I ran with the igni-explosion one for a while, that one's fun too, but igni sucks at damage so unless you're consciously triggering it it doesn't kick off all that often.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

mastershakeman posted:

Yea, there's one in kaer morhen with an ifrit that I've missed twice now and just found too late, km pretty annoyed. I can't even think of another ifrit in the game and I want to kill it!

There's an ifrit in Philippa's hideout in the elven ruins that Radovid sends you to investigate.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

After a patch the Collect'em all quest only fails if you miss winning one-time opportunity cards, otherwise it will remain valid.

Those smuggler caches in Skellige are awfully reminiscent of the animus shards from Black Flag. Completely useless, but necessary if you want to clear the map. Probably the only real padding in the game.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It's not too late to start, but if you want to finish it (collect all the cards), get ready to play A LOT. Starting it earlier in the game at least lets you break up your Gwent playing with the occasional quest.

There's also some unique cards you get from people that aren't around at endgame for various reasons. It's apparently been patched to prevent them from being unobtainable but I'm not sure how that works.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Quote-Unquote posted:

The fight against Olgierd's spectres was the hardest part of HoS for me (played on Death March). Managed it with a combination of archgriffon and ekidhna decoctions, liberal usage of quen and baiting the shade away from the others so as not to accidentally activate them during the fight. If you get more than one of those things on you at a time on DM, you've probably lost.
I was on B&BB difficulty and got the When It's Many Against One achievement with everything alive at once after I saw there's an achievement for the fight (not sure if the achievement meant kill all specters or if all specters had to be alive at one point and went for the harder one). I figured if I one-shot the main specter a block party of 6 more wouldn't be so bad. I used a number of bombs like Northern Wind as well as Superior Blizzard to help manage how fast these guys are and never needed Quen. The primary issue I had was that I'm bad at aiming and locking onto targets and I kept throwing bombs like Samum right in my own face to a nearby target instead of one further away and hurt or blinded myself and mercilessly cut down in seconds while stunlocked. Activating the adds with some BS bombs or crossbow from a distance helped a lot as well. I wound up using Whirl and Ekimmara decoction (no range enchant) to power through the specter army.

Hell, I hardly used any new gear from HoS or B&W when beating them. Mastercrafted ursine with feline parts for attack bonus with that general skill are all I ever had with the new silver sword and a steel sword from Tesham Mutna. I didn't feel like trying to grind any cash and the upgrades hardly affected my stats.

Extreme Cosplay from B&W was a far, far more annoying fight IMO because range doesn't keep you safe at all. I'm pretty sure I died to that quest more than any other fight in the game partly because I was under leveled and because I suck at throwing bombs.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It's never too late to start Gwent. Start now, begin the habit of a lifetime.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Xander77 posted:

Honestly, I'm not in front of the game right now, and I've only gotten him up to level 2 so far, so I'm not even sure exactly what he has. For my alchemy build, the most useful thing for me was the arrow reflect. I'm sure there are useful things he has, but that was the best for me, for that build. In my new hybrid build, I bet I'll get several.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
He has some fun synergies with grandmaster gear and the mutations from B&W, so it's not a complete waste of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

10 Beers posted:

Honestly, I'm not in front of the game right now, and I've only gotten him up to level 2 so far, so I'm not even sure exactly what he has. For my alchemy build, the most useful thing for me was the arrow reflect. I'm sure there are useful things he has, but that was the best for me, for that build. In my new hybrid build, I bet I'll get several.

I was a fan of the one that made the weapon/armor buffs last forever instead of 30 minutes or whatever.