Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JFairfax posted:

check leviticus
No mixed fabrics? No tattoos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Jose posted:

I'm obviously not posting it

yeah, why not

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Jose posted:

can we get the deets on who

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
The telegraph survey is 60-40 in favour of may

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Prince John posted:

Yeah, I was going to chip in on this too. I've had some exposure to various parts of SSA and Eastern Africa both through work and through charities and my perception is that regarding homosexuality as a sin is pretty normalised in those regions. Interpretations of Christianity are so much more literal, un-critical and so much more fervently held by the general population compared to the UK that I think it would be hard to avoid accidentally platform sharing with someone who believed this.

Incidentally, I've always been quite uncomfortable with topics like these when overseas. On the one hand, you have Western beliefs about equality that we believe to be objectively beneficial and correct, yet it's really hard to apply that to places like Africa without sounding like a colonial-era person not respecting the cultural norms of the societies that you're visiting.

Yeah, its a very difficult line to tread: attempts to influence opinion, or even suggest that gays shouldn't be executed (even making the case indirectly, on the grounds that criminalisation has helped HIV/AIDS spread) generally lead to perceptions/accusations of imperialism. I've been in meetings with officials who claim it is a Western 'disease' that doesn't exist in Africa and that 'you should stop going on about it'.

Ironically, there is a case to be made that the homophobic attitudes prevalent in these societies is itself a product of imperialism. Most of the laws in place against sodomy, etc, date from the colonial era (such prohibitions were historically rare in pre-colonial African societies), and many of the negative attitudes towards non-heterosexual relationships simply didn't exist prior to the penetration of Christian missionaries (Islamic regions excepted, of course). Just one more thing to add to the negative legacy of the British Empire.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
mods, jose is being a massive prick tease, probate him if he doesn't post his story

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Jose posted:

Then you should've kept your mouth shut in the first place.

Now it's just "I know a person".

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Breath Ray posted:

The telegraph survey is 60-40 in favour of may

survey of whom

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Can we start a kickstarter to get Germany to invade and save us from our elected officials?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

ShredsYouSay posted:

Can we start a kickstarter to get Germany to invade and save us from our elected officials?

You mean "let's get rid of Osborne and place us in the tender, merciful hands of Wolfgang Schauble"?

Ask the Greeks how that worked out for them.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
Is anyone hoping Leadsom might win because she will be an ineffectual PM who backbenchers will constantly rebel against whereas May will rule with an iron fist that will make Thatcher look like a soft liberal?

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

ThomasPaine posted:

There's something interesting about the ability to be a staunch Corbyn supporter but also a huge xenophobe. Working out how people get to that position would be very valuable for the left in general.

I think this is the position held by a lot of old + white + working class people. Certainly something I can imagine my grandparents saying.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Ugh 25 pages since Tuesday night catch me up, did Blair get hanged for war crimes yet? Have the quitters become splitters yet? Will I want to fling my computer through a window if I watch PMQs?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/alec_everlone/status/751091805077331970

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

XMNN posted:

survey of whom

readers of the dt article on the leadership contest

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

vodkat posted:

Is anyone hoping Leadsom might win because she will be an ineffectual PM who backbenchers will constantly rebel against whereas May will rule with an iron fist that will make Thatcher look like a soft liberal?
i hope she wins because there is nothing I want more than the sweet merciful release of death

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Ugh 25 pages since Tuesday night catch me up, did Blair get hanged for war crimes yet? Have the quitters become splitters yet? Will I want to fling my computer through a window if I watch PMQs?

Tony Blair is not a war criminal and has no legal case to answer

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Breath Ray posted:

Tony Blair is not a war criminal and yet has no legal case to answer

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
So there's a chance the next General Election will be contested between two parties whose leaders were elected by popular vote over the wishes of their own MPs. Because British politics just wasn't loving strange enough to start with.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Sarah vines column is taking a break from the daily mail

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So there's a chance the next General Election will be contested between two parties whose leaders were elected by popular vote over the wishes of their own MPs. Because British politics just wasn't loving strange enough to start with.

that's a positive development for the country at large

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

i hope she wins because there is nothing I want more than the sweet merciful release of death

"I don't know with which weapons the next General Election will be fought with, but I know the one after will be fought with rocks and sticks"

Left-handed lute
Feb 22, 2015
Would you vote for re-instating death penalty?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

thespaceinvader posted:

Splitters gave up, Tony Blair was sent to the phantom zone, newspapers were abolished, the Tory frontrunners were all struck by lightning simultaneously and labour started campaigning for full communism now. This was all bad for Jeremy Corbyn.

I'm lying except for the first and last bits.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Feels like May has this on lock to me. But then again I'm not exactly out every night taking the pulse of the Tory heartlands.

Edit: taking the pulse lol they're all old

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Breath Ray posted:

It's a pretty apt demonstration of the problems of a permanent political class and I'm sure it'll be taught in future PPE degree courses with not a single hint of irony.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Shoved £50 on Leadsom winning, though it isn't even a consolation prize, as both candidates are terrible.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's a pretty apt demonstration of the problems of a permanent political class and I'm sure it'll be taught in future PPE degree courses with not a single hint of irony.

the countryside at large then

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Left-handed lute posted:

Would you vote for re-instating death penalty?

Only if it counted for everyone at once.

Tabula rasa sounds very attractive right now.

James Dente
Nov 29, 2003
Awful Things Ate My Head

Antti posted:

Theresa May is a villain from a Bond movie.

Andrea Leadsom is a villain from a Warren Ellis comic.

A villain? Andrea Leadsom isn't even the elderly aunt from a Just William story who requires a lie down in a darkened room after one of the Outlaws accidentally smashes a prized vase.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
everything is going to be hosed anyway so it doesn't really matter which is in charge from a not loving everything perspective, I think Teresa may will be a lot more likely to pull off another "tough decisions" sort of "everything is going to poo poo but it's not my fault" type excuse where as leadsom will be pure train wreck

also she was team brexit so there's less room for the morons who voted leave to claim they didn't get what they voted for

plus dark comedy value

team Andrea 4 lyfe

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Junior G-man posted:

Then you should've kept your mouth shut in the first place.

Now it's just "I know a person".

Tbf that is quite a scoop for a goon

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Breath Ray posted:

Sarah vines column is taking a break from the daily mail

Breath Ray posted:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

XMNN posted:

everything is going to be hosed anyway so it doesn't really matter which is in charge from a not loving everything perspective, I think Teresa may will be a lot more likely to pull off another "tough decisions" sort of "everything is going to poo poo but it's not my fault" type excuse where as leadsom will be pure train wreck

also she was team brexit so there's less room for the morons who voted leave to claim they didn't get what they voted for

plus dark comedy value

team Andrea 4 lyfe

leadsom has said she will, immediately, trigger article 50

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
jose tell us the story

jose jose tell us the story

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
gently caress sake, Boris saying Tories "most progressive party ever".

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Neil Kinnock being hard left is certainly a unique opinion.

EDIT: while I'm being pedantic I could add that David Cameron is neither female nor far right.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 7, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ShredsYouSay posted:

gently caress sake, Boris saying Tories "most progressive party ever".
Can also mean "people who fetishize progress over equality" so maybe they are.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Breath Ray posted:

the countryside at large then

well yeah, blood is indeed an excellent fertiliser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

goddamnedtwisto posted:

well yeah, blood is indeed an excellent fertiliser.

is it? i would have thought you'd get a night soil effect

• Locked thread