Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Retro Futurist posted:

What the hell are ripples and stands?

Ripple is solar powered kung fu. A Stand is a ghost buddy who helps you flex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Nessus posted:

Well yeah, it's like American comics. But with more homo-eroticism.

FTFY

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I wish superhero comics could be half as fabulous as Jojo.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Basically, while Superman can only pick up so many supertankers before you get used to the idea, everyone goes nuts when Green Arrow shoots The Atom through Darkseid's shield into his brain as a light particle.

EVERY SUPERPOWER in Jojo requires the kind of angular thinking that that second example involves. Raw brute force is almost never a factor, it always comes down to the individuals each figuring out how to use their weird, specialized superpower to combat the other guy's weird, specialized superpower. Add on that this is all presented in an extremely stylish and well-rendered manner and it's no wonder the series has so much staying power.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
What's as important is that Jojo is completely, genuinely 100% sincere. There's no irony or tongue in cheek. No matter how ridiculous the series gets, it always takes itself seriously enough to not just become nonsense. It's perfect camp.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Onmi posted:

There is no "Ultimate Stand" and while there are objectively powerful ones, it really comes down to how you use your ability.

muda muda muda mudaaaaaaa

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

What's as important is that Jojo is completely, genuinely 100% sincere. There's no irony or tongue in cheek. No matter how ridiculous the series gets, it always takes itself seriously enough to not just become nonsense. It's perfect camp.

Why is Mister Mustache complaining about Mister Hat's lack of chips when he's just said what he is going to wager? :confused:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

prefect posted:

Why is Mister Mustache complaining about Mister Hat's lack of chips when he's just said what he is going to wager? :confused:

At the risk of running right into the joke, it's right to left.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You can't just throw a soul into a wager, it doesn't have any comparative value. What do I want with your mother's soul? More importantly, why do you have your mother's soul and does she know what you're doing with it, young man? :colbert:

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Even after wagering the soul, reading right to left, he still has chips.

Hence, anime is dumb.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ferrule posted:

Hence, anime is dumb.
He should have wagered his bee weapon.

Bees... my god

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Ashcans posted:

You can't just throw a soul into a wager, it doesn't have any comparative value. What do I want with your mother's soul? More importantly, why do you have your mother's soul and does she know what you're doing with it, young man? :colbert:

Moustache Guy's Stand power is literally "gambling with souls is real". The whole sequence is pretty good for this thread.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Ripple is an okay Grateful Dead song. Stand is a great R.E.M. song. There. it's settled.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ferrule posted:

Hence, anime is dumb.

I realize you're kidding but, context anyway

D'arby is a servant of the main villain, Dio. His power, Osiris, allows him to take the souls of someone who has admitted defeat in their heart. He has already taken the souls of Polnareff and Joseph Joestar, both times by rigging the game. Jotaro has challenged him to poker, confident that Star Platinum's precision can let him catch D'arby cheating (It can), D'arby owns everyone in the area however, and the "Third Party" they bring in to deal, is dealing Jotaro a bum hand. On the first hand Jotaro loses the pieces of his soul he bet. On the second, he refuses to look at his cards, which D'arby sees as Jotaro trying to psyche him out. Until he notices that Jotaro has a Cigarette, from out of nowhere. And then when he's calming himself that no matter how fast Star Platinum is, Jotaro couldn't replace his ENTIRE hand without D'arby noticing. Then he sees that Jotaro has a drink, again from seemingly nowhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP1arj7AYuI

This is also a hint to the future, that D'arby is aware that Dio has the power to stop time, and suspects that's how Jotaro is doing everything.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Onmi posted:

This is also a hint to the future, that D'arby is aware that Dio has the power to stop time, and suspects that's how Jotaro is doing everything.

And, technically, he's right.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Just keep scrolling until the anime goes away

oh god it's not going away

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Johnny Aztec posted:

Just keep scrolling until the anime goes away

oh god it's not going away

It will never go away.

All will be consumed.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Don't worry, it's good anime anyways.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What about the American version?

Is it still Anime then?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I love JoJo with all my heart, and that page makes me feel only one thing:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

ImpAtom posted:

What about the American version?

Is it still Anime then?

Am I supposed to read that left to right?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Uthor posted:

Am I supposed to read that left to right?

I don't think you're supposed to read it at all.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I actually think that American/Western takes on manga are an untapped niche that has a lot of potential, but that's seriously making me reconsider that idea.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Lightning Lord posted:

I actually think that American/Western takes on manga are an untapped niche that has a lot of potential, but that's seriously making me reconsider that idea.

Isnt that literally just "Comics"?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Hey guys I found this interesting thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3769790

(please go post in that thread rather than this one)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So the actual story behind "Diesel" the Jojo fancomic that somehow was actually published no seriously. Was that the person who wrote it watched the OVA and was like "WOW! I need to show this to everybody. But how?" And thus, that...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

More Badass Panels, less anime talk. Preferably no anime talk.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Quoting myself!

WickedHate posted:

Moon Knight #2

Moon Knight, #2 and #5

I love Ellis' Moon Knight so loving much yall.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Ame-Comi Girls Vol. 2: Rise of The Brainiac

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
PS: I <3 U DP

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

WickedHate posted:

I love Ellis' Moon Knight so loving much yall.

That cape as negative space :allears:

e: although it is immediately preceded by entire cartridges flying through the air :magical:

Phy fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 7, 2016

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Phy posted:

That cape as negative space :allears:

e: although it is immediately preceded by entire cartridges flying through the air :magical:

Shalvey and Bellaire love using negative space, and they're insanely good at it. They do similar things in Injection and it is balls-out awesome.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Toshimo posted:

Ame-Comi Girls Vol. 2: Rise of The Brainiac

What is with these outfits???

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

That series was like Bombshells, based on a line of statues. Only bishoujo statues instead of WW2 pinups. It was better than you'd think for a book based on that, but unlike Bombshells, not good enough to outpace it's origins. Plus it's harder to get away with designs like this when it's sexy anime girls and not retro 40s dresses

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

KittyEmpress posted:

They are :kickinrad: anime-style versions of DC Superheroes where all the heroes are girls.

Pictured here (L-R) are Flash, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Batgirl, Alana Strange, and Steel:

For badass quota, here's the GL oath of the Ame-Comi Green Lantern (Jade YiFei), a blind Chinese mountain climber who uses her power ring to create headphones that give her Daredevil-style hearing and echo-location:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I know the reason is "because anime", but man, those are fanservicy as hell. It really takes away any coolness factor they could have.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That oath is also hella cribbed from Alan Moored.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Gaz-L posted:

That oath is also hella cribbed from Alan Moored.

Yeah. P close:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

WickedHate posted:

I know the reason is "because anime", but man, those are fanservicy as hell. It really takes away any coolness factor they could have.

Yeah, it's kinda disappointing. Especially because if you fill in the boob window on Green Lantern, her outfit is actually pretty great for a Mountain-Climber-turned-Close-Range-Brawler Green Lantern.

Here she is talking smack and kicking someone in the face:

And here's the statue she's based on:

The pant sleeve things are p great for conveying motion and the high collar is hella cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Toshimo posted:

Yeah, it's kinda disappointing. Especially because if you fill in the boob window on Green Lantern, her outfit is actually pretty great for a Mountain-Climber-turned-Close-Range-Brawler Green Lantern.

Mountain climbers and close ranged brawlers have light outfits because of practical reasons regarding real world physics and the like. Boob window or no, that's a pretty weak excuse when designing magic space armor for a super hero, because the real reason is always "to give nerds boners".

Also, everyone is weirdly shiny, and Green Lantern in particular looks like a half human half lima bean.