Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

When did it become the trend to describe minutes of gameplay as some kind of Epic? Anna Boo Huxley was doing the same thing. Flying to the one mission, fighting the scripted loop pirates and back was this detailed story about every single aspect of it. They have somehow realized they can pretend the game is as awesome as they make it sound, feeding their own delusion. Who cares if literally dozens of other games offer better content than what they are actually playing. Their imagination is the limit of how awesome Star Citizen is.

It's like describing a mobile free to play game as some kind of biblical epic.

"I started out deciding I needed to equip myself for battle, so over the course of several hours I hand forged some new armor out of dwarven mithril. I made sure to check and see if I knew the appropriate arcane spells as well. I then went to join my guild mates in glorious combat against hordes of enemies. I took down 40-50 of them before I needed to pause for a rest, but luckily $0.99 restored my vitality and I was right back into the fight. Completely surrounded on all sides and taking damage, I managed to cast a series of spells at a large group of enemies and clear myself a path toward help. After several hours and many close calls I returned to my castle laden with loot" is really just like "Click - Click - Click (enter credit card numbers) Click - Click - Click"

I'm going to start describing Farmville as a Grapes of Wrath caliber saga to make it sound like it doesn't suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Samizdata posted:

Just make sure Legman's not talking out of his rear end again.

I'm not sure how I'd be able to tell...

Samizdata posted:

The all-powerful Hypnokayak has spoken.

I made a Cookyak in a fever dream this morning, and I'm still not sure why.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

^^ I worry about u commando

Fat Shat Sings posted:

When did it become the trend to describe minutes of gameplay as some kind of Epic?

Around when you paid $4k for minutes of gameplay.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

AP posted:

gently caress those CIG guys in Frankfurt, doing nothing, Sandi obviously doesn't care about them and there's no way she's going to tweet a photo of them this week.

She can't tweet about them because they don't exist. They are completely made up.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Beet Wagon posted:

You made it for me. I'll get use out of this believe it or not. You should have fever dreams that result in things for me in the future.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm not sure how I'd be able to tell...

I know you two chat all the time. I figured you wouldn't have a problem.

I am so drat hungry now, drat it.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Given the frame rate and the "Lorem ipsum" text, I dare say it's a photoshop Talking out of my rear end here.

Its from this.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/15407-JP-04-06-June-Images

ps: If you cannot see it, you didn't deserve too anyway.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 7, 2016

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Fat Shat Sings posted:

When did it become the trend to describe minutes of gameplay as some kind of Epic? Anna Boo Huxley was doing the same thing. Flying to the one mission, fighting the scripted loop pirates and back was this detailed story about every single aspect of it. They have somehow realized they can pretend the game is as awesome as they make it sound, feeding their own delusion. Who cares if literally dozens of other games offer better content than what they are actually playing. Their imagination is the limit of how awesome Star Citizen is.

"I started out deciding I needed to equip myself for battle, so over the course of several hours I hand forged some new armor out of dwarven mithril. I made sure to check and see if I knew the appropriate arcane spells as well. I then went to join my guild mates in glorious combat against hordes of enemies. I took down 40-50 of them before I needed to pause for a rest, but luckily $0.99 restored my vitality and I was right back into the fight. Completely surrounded on all sides and taking damage, I managed to cast a series of spells at a large group of enemies and clear myself a path toward help. After several hours and many close calls I returned to my castle laden with loot" is really just like "Click - Click - Click (enter credit card numbers) Click - Click - Click"

I'm going to start describing Farmville as a Grapes of Wrath caliber saga to make it sound like it doesn't suck.

With the drawn out stories of mundane gameplay all popping up at the same time like this it seems like viral marketing.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Dante80 posted:

Its from this.

ps: If you cannot see it, you didn't deserve too anyway.

The emstimporer's new post?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Fat Shat Sings posted:

It's all horseshit, there has been a batch of these stories posted in a day, all similar, all low post count posters, same yawnworthy tales of tedium dressed up in glitter, kicked off by Poo Huxeley.
It's just Sandi probably

Wafflz posted:

With the drawn out stories of mundane gameplay all popping up at the same time like this it seems like viral marketing.

this. All of it. Two weeks

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

this post is incredibly boring.

I'm glas ur family is dead moma

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

http://archive.is/4b3On

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/336095/the-lesson-star-citizen-has-taught-me

:eyepop:

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm pledging for the Corvette when it's released.

I'm glad ur wallet is dead moma

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

KiddieGrinder posted:

I want to also be able to inspect each rivet and scan it to find it's metal fatigue rating, and upgrade/replace if necessary AND have that impact my ship's performance in a measurable way.

No problem. When you are ready to replace them, give me a holler. I manufacture rivets and other fasteners in the verse. I source my materials from a famous space miner named B'tak. I'll give you a 10% goon discount.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Lobus posted:

The next generation of virtual shopping!

Reddit approved! :gary:

Btw...14 months ago things were a little better than above.

There are running full steam backwards on this one. This thing reminds me of the idea behind the first iteration of the blue sphere in ships (back when full 3d models of ships were inside the sphere).

Looks "good", handles like crap.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Matlock Birthmark posted:

You made it for me. I'll get use out of this believe it or not. You should have fever dreams that result in things for me in the future.

I'm glad of it. I'll add "Increase fever dream output" to my to-do list

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Colostomy Bag posted:

No problem. When you are ready to replace them, give me a holler. I manufacture rivets and other fasteners in the verse. I source my materials from a famous space miner named B'tak. I'll give you a 10% goon discount.

Are they made from ferrous or non-ferrous metals? And I'm going to need stats for all their metallurgic properties before I do business with you sir. :crossarms:

My wife and I played SWG back in the day, and she was a crafter so these numbers actually mattered. :negative:

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

I am the literal lorem ipsum placeholder text for something they could have copied and pasted from their store.

Also,
SIZE 2
DURABILITY RATING A++

Edit: I guess "store" is the wrong word because that would imply that you "bought" something rather than pledged. Sorry for the inaccuracy. *toast approved*

Propagandist fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 7, 2016

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Placeholder stat 1 : AA+ rating

I'm the 2 instances of power consumption too.

They seriously are just making everything grey and bland looking at this point.

Release the car dealership!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

KiddieGrinder posted:

Are they made from ferrous or non-ferrous metals? And I'm going to need stats for all their metallurgic properties before I do business with you sir. :crossarms:

My wife and I played SWG back in the day, and she was a crafter so these numbers actually mattered. :negative:

Which star system out of the 100 in game are you located in? I'll have a regional sales rep contact you or perhaps we have a showroom close by.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Fat Shat Sings posted:

When did it become the trend to describe minutes of gameplay as some kind of Epic?

I actually remember some good stories coming from the dwarf fortress thread. Playing the game was a chore, but reading the illustrated accounts of people's games was pretty entertaining. Star citizen stories on the other hand...

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

SomethingJones posted:

It's pretty crazy reading comments from 2014 like

Delusion and awareness seem to have started around the same time, as if the same signs befuddled some and awoke others.

Beexoffel fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 7, 2016

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Norton posted:

I actually remember some good stories coming from the dwarf fortress thread. Playing the game was a chore, but reading the illustrated accounts of people's games was pretty entertaining. Star citizen stories on the other hand...

Obviously the most famous - http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/Introduction/

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

no pole -deleted

good thing toast reads and posts this site.

Lazrin
Apr 13, 2016

THEN HE SAID..NO WAIT, LISTEN. THEN HE SAID 3.0 IS COMING OUT BY DEC 19TH 2016
:laffo:

Dante80 posted:

Btw...14 months ago things were a little better than above.

There are running full steam backwards on this one. This thing reminds me of the idea behind the first iteration of the blue sphere in ships (back when full 3d models of ships were inside the sphere).

Looks "good", handles like crap.

that's cargo.

Lazrin
Apr 13, 2016

THEN HE SAID..NO WAIT, LISTEN. THEN HE SAID 3.0 IS COMING OUT BY DEC 19TH 2016
:laffo:

Fat Shat Sings posted:

When did it become the trend to describe minutes of gameplay as some kind of Epic? Anna Boo Huxley was doing the same thing. Flying to the one mission, fighting the scripted loop pirates and back was this detailed story about every single aspect of it.

what's wrong with letting fans be fans? i mean *you* know it's poo poo, right? that should be enough, right?

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Lazrin posted:

what's wrong with letting fans be fans? i mean *you* know it's poo poo, right? that should be enough, right?

They're not fans though. They're either paid shills (Hi Sandi!) or mentally ill people chucking money into a bonfire while imagining what it'll be like when they finally finish the 'verse.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Lazrin posted:

:reddit:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6807031/#Comment_6807031

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Lazrin posted:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Barn Folk posted:

They're not fans though. They're either paid shills (Hi Sandi!) or mentally ill people chucking money into a bonfire while imagining what it'll be like when they finally finish the 'verse.

It's astro-turf marketing is what it is. Hyping up the experience, making it seem like it's more than it is, and preying on cultist's already overtaxed imaginations to fill in the gaps.

Shameful really.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

AP posted:

Everything is fine, look how many staff we have.

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/751018869486215169

Some of those guys are making the supah sekret sign

I didn't know there were Austin staff in contact with Derek

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Samizdata posted:

quote:

So, I stopped the video at 2:15 to answer the question. I came to this game for immersive gameplay. For a level of complexity that sets new standards. I don't want to push a button and have an action completed. I want to have that action be something that I create myself. Say, making a meal on a ship. I want to have to open a drawer and pull it out. Open it up. Collect other ingredients to prepare the meal. Put it in the microwave. Cook it. Then sit down properly and eat it. Whether that is alone or with other crewmates. Will doing this take time? Yes. Should there be a mechanic to bypass this? Yes. Professions should offer similarly fine details. Let me in on the accountant side of running a business. Do my books balance at the end of the week? Will I need to do more of something to reach a goal that I've set for myself earlier? Do I have enough UEC to pay my crews or NPC's for the work they've done for me as my employees? Are their enough raw materials in my inventory to get those widgets made at the factory so I can sell them in my shoppes? This is the level of detail I want in Star Citizen. I'd go even deeper than this if I thought more people would get on board.
Then I discover the meal exploded into the microwave, and there's a minigame where I have to scrape off the cooked on food. Then, if I am eating a meal with my crew, I want there to be the chance for one of my crew or myself to start vomiting up white stuff prior to birthing a chestburster. Given the excellent FPS in the game, I am quite sure we will be able to handle it promptly without it slaughtering us all by hiding outside the ship and clipping through the walls to murder us.

Basically what the guy was saying was "I want a life, but not my actual one, because that ones lovely due to me spending all my money on pictures of spaceships".

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lazrin posted:

Yes

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Lazrin posted:

I too have fans in my PC case.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Somebody should post there one of these but describing a ten-second stretch of time in overwatch. Bet it would be twice as long.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Lazrin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHDbuqxJNvE

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

It's OK for fans to be fans. It's also OK to make fun of extraordinarily gullible and irredeemably stupid people.

call your parents

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Wtfosaurus is once again running around alone on the PvP station. Just walking down hallways, picking up the same bottles of space booze, going up and down the stairs. Maybe he can write a couple thousand words about how awesome it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

skaboomizzy posted:

Wtfosaurus is once again running around alone on the PvP station. Just walking down hallways, picking up the same bottles of space booze, going up and down the stairs. Maybe he can write a couple thousand words about how awesome it is.

Do you think he'll ban people if they ask?
"Wtfosaurus, are you having fun?"

• Locked thread