Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

Both games are extremely good, hth

:yeah:

I actually like Ages more than Seasons. I played it again last year and I still love it :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Shinjobi posted:

Both games are extremely good, hth

:agreed: to both

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Color scheme in OoA Past sucks the big one, though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've played both games and honestly I can't really remember how I felt about them, other than generically thinking I liked Link's Awakening a whole lot more. I don't think I disliked them though.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I've played both games and honestly I can't really remember how I felt about them, other than generically thinking I liked Link's Awakening a whole lot more. I don't think I disliked them though.

This.

While the Oracle games are fun to play, Awakening DX takes the cake on the handheld releases.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JetpackHowwy posted:

This.

While the Oracle games are fun to play, Awakening DX takes the cake on the handheld releases.

That's no surprise considering Link's Awakening is one of the best games of all time.

I'm just glad there are more Game Boy Zelda's though. Even if Oracle & Seasons never get quite as good as Awakening, it's basically more of the same in regards to gameplay and there are a lot of fun items in both games.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

absolutely anything posted:

oracle of seasons is good but oracle of ages is, in fact, extremely bad

The underwater dungeon with the new terrible underwater controls since there are only two buttons is what did me in and I won't be finishing it. Jesus what a turd.

I have thoroughly enjoyed every other Zelda, even Skyward Sword, except for these two lovely ones and Spirit Tracks. I didn't really even dislike Spirit Tracks, I just got to a point where I couldn't get the game to accept my input into the mic for the dumb flute.

And I'm pretty sure most modern Zelda's don't have puzzles completely reset, pretty sure the doors automatically open afterwards.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 7, 2016

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I was an Ages guy. They say Seasons was more oriented towards action, while Ages was geared towards harder puzzles. I liked the story more in Ages too. I thought the passwords and ring jewel appraisal was fun. Also, wasn't there some features or collectibles only available by playing those games on the Game Boy Advance?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

katkillad2 posted:

The underwater dungeon with the new terrible underwater controls since there are only two buttons is what did me in and I won't be finishing it. Jesus what a turd.

I have thoroughly enjoyed every other Zelda, even Skyward Sword, except for these two lovely ones and Spirit Tracks. I didn't really even dislike Spirit Tracks, I just got to a point where I couldn't get the game to accept my input into the mic for the dumb flute.

And I'm pretty sure most modern Zelda's don't have puzzles completely reset, pretty sure the doors automatically open afterwards.

I'm pretty sure you'd hate Link's Awakening then, in which case your opinions are null and void forever into infinity.:colbert:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

links awakening is the best but constantly going into the inventory was a limitation i am happy we were able to remove eventually. also the goddamn popup when you bump into a rock without the power bracelet on! :argh:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I love Link' Awakening to death, but if i never see the message that tells me about all the amazing new capabilites of the Compass ever again, it'll still be a hundred times too many.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

This is an accurate representation of the music of Link's Awakening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w68Z4V_sA3g

I actually love the game though, my favorite 2D Zelda.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Fix posted:

Is this new Rhythm Heaven just flat out easier than the earlier entries, or is it just super drawn out, or am I imagining it?

I don't think it's easier, but:
1. button presses are necessarily going to be easier to time more accurately and pull off more consistently than flicks were.
2. reused minigames mean you already know how to do most of them.
3. it seems like the "harder" minigames from previous games only appear once or not at all, whereas a lot of the "easier" ones appear several times.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'm trying out the GBA Rhythm game after playing a bunch of Megamix and it definitely feels more strict even in the early games like Karate Man and Sneaky Spirits.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

~Coxy posted:

3. it seems like the "harder" minigames from previous games only appear once or not at all, whereas a lot of the "easier" ones appear several times.

most of the games pre-towers are new versions with new music that are specifically easier for beginners

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Mr. Fortitude posted:

This is an accurate representation of the music of Link's Awakening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w68Z4V_sA3g

I actually love the game though, my favorite 2D Zelda.

Are you saying Link's Awakening has bad music? It's got the best song in the entire series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h848dMB0LgU

Nevermind, listened to your link for more than a minute. Yeah that's....very accurate

robot roll call fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 8, 2016

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

...well that takes me right back to being 13 and spending an absurd amount of time playing Link's Awakening.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Gonna be getting a New 3DS XL in our household soon. What's the current consensus, if there is one, one what microSD to get for them?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i bought a 128gb sandisk but i suggest just getting 64gb max.. i don't think i'll ever fill this up.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I have a 32GB and I have had to delete something once ever? If you use purely digital games you might maybe outgrow it but it's a tremendous amount of space and most non-huge-JRPG games aren't that big.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Light Gun Man posted:

Gonna be getting a New 3DS XL in our household soon. What's the current consensus, if there is one, one what microSD to get for them?

The Samsung EVO cards are cheap and reliable if you mean brand. 32GB is more than enough unless maybe you're going homebrew and want every game in the world on your system.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Mad Hamish posted:

...well that takes me right back to being 13 and spending an absurd amount of time playing Link's Awakening.

same but more like 8. i found all the loving seashells without a guide

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
7th Dragon seems alright, but maybe a bit bland. Does the full game have skill trees or anything like Etrian Odyssey, or do you just get new stuff whenever?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

pretty sure i have dug up literally every digable tile in links awakening

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mad Hamish posted:

I'll gladly admit I have some rose-tinted glasses for the game, because it was the first game I bought with my own money :unsmith: Had to work chores for a year to afford it too, but it was so worth it. Really helped me learn English too!

Awesome! posted:

:yeah: This.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Justin_Brett posted:

7th Dragon seems alright, but maybe a bit bland. Does the full game have skill trees or anything like Etrian Odyssey, or do you just get new stuff whenever?

You can customize your skills in chapter 1. Shortly after you get to that point, the demo ends. From what I've been told by someone who already played the game in Japanese, it's kinda mediocre. Especially compared to its predecessor (which was not released outside of Japan.)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

robot roll call posted:

Are you saying Link's Awakening has bad music? It's got the best song in the entire series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h848dMB0LgU

I have one song in mind when I think "best Zelda song" and I'm glad you made the right choice.

Awesome! posted:

same but more like 8. i found all the loving seashells without a guide

I spent one summer filling out a notebook mapping and detailing every inch of that game. I wonder what happened to that notebook.

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 8, 2016

The Worst Bear
Jul 25, 2012

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?

Tender Bender posted:

Things I would buy all of: monster hunter amiibos
Things I won't buy: monster hunter amiibos with stupid dudes riding them

I'm thinking of popping the riders off and doing a quick fill and paint job on them myself. :sax:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

SeANMcBAY posted:

The Samsung EVO cards are cheap and reliable if you mean brand. 32GB is more than enough unless maybe you're going homebrew and want every game in the world on your system.

Yeah I recently bought some of those ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IVPU786/ in particular) for my phone and tablet so I was considering just getting more. Thanks for the confirmation!

Does the speed class / Transfer Speed stuff really matter in the case of the 3DS? Will a higher class card result in better load times or something?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Dr. Fetus posted:

You can customize your skills in chapter 1. Shortly after you get to that point, the demo ends. From what I've been told by someone who already played the game in Japanese, it's kinda mediocre. Especially compared to its predecessor (which was not released outside of Japan.)

Did they say what they didn't like about it?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Links awakening is one game is love to get a touch up as a 3D classic rerelease. Remove some of the fiddly bits like constant messages. Throw in the menu on the touch screen. Save the camera as screenshots. Maybe get a few new mini boss themes. Add the option of orchestral vs original music.

Alright I kind of went if into fantasy land but still.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cerepol posted:

Links awakening is one game is love to get a touch up as a 3D classic rerelease. Remove some of the fiddly bits like constant messages. Throw in the menu on the touch screen. Save the camera as screenshots. Maybe get a few new mini boss themes. Add the option of orchestral vs original music.

Crazier things have happened in the past. When they're done remastering every Zelda, they'll start re-remastering them!

general chaos
May 20, 2001

Cerepol posted:

And give us more than two buttons to work with.
I'm not sure why the romhack community hasn't been able to recreate this masterpiece in a better engine.

Awesome! posted:

I just found out today that the game actually has more hidden seashells scattered around than you'll ever need to unlock the sword upgrade. The last ones you didn't find will disappear once you've found enough, too.

general chaos fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 8, 2016

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

general chaos posted:

I just found out today that the game actually has more hidden seashells scattered around than you'll ever need to unlock the sword upgrade. The last ones you didn't find will disappear once you've found enough, too.

That's a pretty cool mechanic and should be used way more often for collectables especially in open world games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Atlus Japan did a livestream for Etrian Odyssey 5 that announced some stuff:

-EO5 demo out on July 20, includes streetpass, save data will transfer to the main game, 30 plays

-FM-arranged music will be coming as post-launch (paid) DLC, here's a preview: http://sq-atlus.jp/blog/archives/2526

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Tender Bender posted:

Things I would buy all of: monster hunter amiibos
Things I won't buy: monster hunter amiibos with stupid dudes riding them

They already have like multiple lines of Monster Hunter blind-box figurines. I've got a Rubio Basarios and a Chameleos at home.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

general chaos posted:

The guy you take the seashells to, I think, will give you an extra shell for like every five you get, something like that. I don't remember the exact details since I haven't played the game in over 20 years, but yeah you can get more shells than you actually need.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

deadly_pudding posted:

They already have like multiple lines of Monster Hunter blind-box figurines. I've got a Rubio Basarios and a Chameleos at home.

I need some links right now

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I need some links right now

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X6HCLYW/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_MY6Fxb6HHVYKC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

raditts posted:

The guy you take the seashells to, I think, will give you an extra shell for like every five you get, something like that. I don't remember the exact details since I haven't played the game in over 20 years, but yeah you can get more shells than you actually need.

It's something like there's a meter that fills up and if you go back with two specific amounts to that it hits lines on the meter you get extra shells. If you're careful and don't go over those amounts before going back you can get the sword a little earlier than otherwise possible.