Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Scientastic posted:

I know grapefruit is contraindicated for a lot of medications, as it retards absorption through various parts of the digestive tract... Is the grapefruit diet based on that?

Actually it's a CYP450 inhibitor, so it stops you being able to inactivate certain drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Scientastic posted:

I know grapefruit is contraindicated for a lot of medications, as it retards absorption through various parts of the digestive tract... Is the grapefruit diet based on that?

Hell if I know. You said "retards" hehe!

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

The Midniter posted:

That sucks, Wiggles. At least you have a job...on June 24th I was called into the VP of HR's office and told that basically, while the company was making money, it wasn't making ENOUGH money to keep the shareholders happy and that I am now out of a job thanks to headcount reduction. Eight years, down the drain.

gently caress that noise.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
dinner at Martín Berasategui. personal mission accomplished, completed my arzak/akalarre/berasategui trifecta. 9/9 michelin stars collected!¿ ++exp lvl^ :c00l:

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 7, 2016

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

dinner at Martín Berasategui. personal mission accomplished, completed my arzak/akalarre/berasategui trifecta. 9/9 michelin stars collected!¿ ++exp lvl^ :c00l:

Well jell.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

The Midniter posted:

That sucks, Wiggles. At least you have a job...on June 24th I was called into the VP of HR's office and told that basically, while the company was making money, it wasn't making ENOUGH money to keep the shareholders happy and that I am now out of a job thanks to headcount reduction. Eight years, down the drain.

What kind of company lays people off when they're in the black? Sounds like you're better off elsewhere.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

sharktamer posted:

What kind of company lays people off when they're in the black? Sounds like you're better off elsewhere.

Google Lean

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

sharktamer posted:

Lots of them. Welcome to 2016. It's not enough to be profitable, the CEO's bonus depends on if he can sell the company for enough. The shareholders demand higher returns on their investment.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

MiddleOne posted:

Google Lean

Proper lean means no layoffs or else it doesn't work.

poo poo lean is just firing people for shits and giggles.

I get defensive about this.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MiddleOne posted:

Google Lean

What does drank have to do with layoffs?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

tarbrush posted:

Proper lean means no layoffs or else it doesn't work.

poo poo lean is just firing people for shits and giggles.

I get defensive about this.

A top tier norwegian management consulting firm that had a 48-hour strategy workshop with me in Germany only introduced me to the latter so, uuuuuuuuuuh-:suicide:

To clarify, we got put in an entire factory simulation to fix overnight. I remember my group getting a high grade for a suggestion that involved mergings of roles (layoffs) at the top and middle management level, while simultaneously professionalising the working floor and adding a coordinating role to cut redundancies and boost the production capacity significantly.

But almost every other group, along with the winning one, gutted the working floor so who knows. :v:

Life lesson, Germans are evil.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Private equity is just as bad as public shareholders. The equity group that owned my former company had an extremely accelerated and aggressive growth plan involving half organic growth and half growth by acquisition. Upper management was a revolving door but I thought that I was sufficiently safeguarded in my middle-tier role where it wouldn't affect me...until it did.

Thank goodness for severance at least, seriously.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I ran out of propane in the middle of grilling and now I'm having to finish steaks and peppers on my cast iron and have no way to grill my romaine hearts and the corn is waiting for water to boil someone just kill me now :cripes:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Lean means having to explain to an extremely overpaid consultant what you're doing when you're thinking hard and deep about how to fix something.

Yes. Somebody tried making an IT organization into a car factory.

Legalize drugs and murder.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Propane is for scrubs.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Force de Fappe posted:

Lean means having to explain to an extremely overpaid consultant what you're doing when you're thinking hard and deep about how to fix something.

Yes. Somebody tried making an IT organization into a car factory.

Don't forget about the public sector. :sigh:

Nooner posted:

I ran out of propane in the middle of grilling and now I'm having to finish steaks and peppers on my cast iron and have no way to grill my romaine hearts and the corn is waiting for water to boil someone just kill me now :cripes:

This is what you get for cheating on coal.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

MiddleOne posted:

A top tier norwegian management consulting firm that had a 48-hour strategy workshop with me in Germany only introduced me to the latter so, uuuuuuuuuuh-:suicide:

To clarify, we got put in an entire factory simulation to fix overnight. I remember my group getting a high grade for a suggestion that involved mergings of roles (layoffs) at the top and middle management level, while simultaneously professionalising the working floor and adding a coordinating role to cut redundancies and boost the production capacity significantly.

But almost every other group, along with the winning one, gutted the working floor so who knows. :v:

Life lesson, Germans are evil.

Ah. Lean 'the collection of tools for identifying and removing waste' are often presented separately to Lean 'how an organisation behaves culturally', when in fact neither facet really works without the other.

It works at Toyota because it's possible for someone point out that their entire job is unnecessary and be confident that they'll get rewarded and get a better/different job for doing so, rather than kicked out the door.

If you fire people for making suggestions or sharing their workarounds that make the job easier, they'll a) hate you and b) stop sharing.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Nooner posted:

Throw corn in husks into a very hot oven for like 40 minutes. Then shuck, butter, and salt.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Ben Nevis posted:

Throw corn in husks into a very hot oven for like 40 minutes. Then shuck, butter, and salt.

Alternatively, remove the cornsilk, rewrap in husks, soak corn in water for 10 minutes, then grill. According to this guy it steams and grills the corn at the same time

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

MrSlam posted:

Alternatively, remove the cornsilk, rewrap in husks, soak corn in water for 10 minutes, then grill. According to this guy it steams and grills the corn at the same time

Removing the silk sounds like a pointless pain in the arse.

Keep corn in husks. Put in microwave for 6 minutes. Shuck, butter, Parmesan.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I like doing the silk removal way. Tastes the best to me on the grill.

I really don't wanna microwave corn for 6 minutes. Sounds bad. I don't like microwaved potatoes either and everyone talks about that.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

FishBulb posted:

I like doing the silk removal way. Tastes the best to me on the grill.

I really don't wanna microwave corn for 6 minutes. Sounds bad. I don't like microwaved potatoes either and everyone talks about that.

Microwave potatoes are bad. Microwaved corn is perfectly good. I shuck and place in a covered container with a little bit of water for about 2 mins, turn and repeat. The water boils/steams the corn. It's good. I LOVE corn so if it didn't do a good job I wouldn't do it.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Whenever you cook corn in the husk, you're steaming it in natures own package. Throwing it in the oven, grill or microwave is cooking it the same way. The microwave is simply the fastest way to do this. You don't get the char as you would from a grill, but you do get very sweet juicy corn.

Corn is cheap enough to try the microwave way and not waste more than a few cents finding out if you like it.

Removing the silk and rewrapping seems silly when the process of shucking removes the silk anyway.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I shuck completely, wrap in a damp paper towel, and microwave 4 minutes for a pair. I don't hold with any post-cooking shucking because you're only going to burn off your fingertips for no reason messing around with husks and silk.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
I can't seem to find a solid answer to this anywhere so here goes:

What's the purpose of making fried chicken (or fried anything) batter with beer? I vaguely remember someone mentioning that due to the alcohol's evaporation temperature it somehow transfers to a more crispy texture, but I'd like to know more about the actual process of wtf is happening here. If it is about the texture, would something with a higher APR like rum have an even stronger effect?

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I think it's because the carbonation adds bubbles to the batter, which in turn pop open for more surface area? I'm sure someone has a more :science: answer.

And beer batter tastes good.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

SweetBro posted:

I can't seem to find a solid answer to this anywhere so here goes:

What's the purpose of making fried chicken (or fried anything) batter with beer? I vaguely remember someone mentioning that due to the alcohol's evaporation temperature it somehow transfers to a more crispy texture, but I'd like to know more about the actual process of wtf is happening here. If it is about the texture, would something with a higher APR like rum have an even stronger effect?

Im not an expert on these things, but yeah, kind of. The carbonation and alcohol help with making the batter 'lighter' and less heavy on the food, but yeah, beer doesn't have that much alcohol so adding something like a neutral vodka to would enhance the effect. In fact Im pretty sure thats what the serious eats onion rings recipe suggests.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The whole point of frying is that you want to boil off the water in the product and have the spaces the water occupied replaced by hot oil, which will create flavors and textures that weren't possible in the presence of water. This is why when you fry foods, it boils and bubbles furiously when you first put it in the oil. When it runs out of most of its water, you'll notice that the food is not bubbling nearly as much.

Alcohol evaporates out faster than water does, which allows the frying process to happen slightly faster, which lets the outside get slightly crisper before the chicken inside gets overcooked.

On top of that, beer is carbonated, which leads to bubbles, and bubbles create more surface area in the fried batter, which creates more areas that can shatter when you bite into it, which leads to a greater perception of crispness. When you bite into fried chicken skin there is literally a choir of tiny bubbles making tiny shattering noises that add up to the sound you hear.

I'm not 100% sure but I also assume the faster evaporation of alcohol might also be contributing to more/larger bubbles that get created in the final fried product.

Alcohol also inhibits gluten formation. Gluten contributes to the stretchy texture of bread, but in a fried batter you want it to be more brittle for that perception of crispness. This can also be achieved by using a low-protein cake flour, since gluten is a protein and cake flour will have less of it.

You can also pressurize beer batter in a CO2 siphon in order to overload it with tiny bubbles

The effect of alcohol is so useful in batter that many modern recipes will dope a beer batter recipe with added vodka (but they also keep the beer in because beer adds flavor)

Here's a really good article by Harold McGee about it, which also points out that the presence of alcohol also reduces the amount of water soaked up by the starch in the batter:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/07/dining/07curious.html?_r=0

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 8, 2016

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

MiddleOne posted:

This is what you get for cheating on coal.

My apt complex only allows propane, and we are lucky that they let us have a grill at all, the place across from us cant even have propane grills :sigh:

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The trick to microwaved potatoes is to only cook them halfway in the microwave, then finish them off in the oven like a regular baked potato except in way less time.

I guess you could do this with corn, but it's not worth the effort. It's corn. You can't gently caress up corn. Eat it raw, overcook it, whatever, it's good. (please don't prove me wrong by loving up corn.)

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Steve Yun posted:

The whole point of frying is that you want to boil off the water in the product and have the spaces the water occupied replaced by hot oil, which will create flavors and textures that weren't possible in the presence of water. This is why when you fry foods, it boils and bubbles furiously when you first put it in the oil. When it runs out of most of its water, you'll notice that the food is not bubbling nearly as much.

Alcohol evaporates out faster than water does, which allows the frying process to happen slightly faster, which lets the outside get slightly crisper before the chicken inside gets overcooked.

On top of that, beer is carbonated, which leads to bubbles, and bubbles create more surface area in the fried batter, which creates more areas that can shatter when you bite into it, which leads to a greater perception of crispness. When you bite into fried chicken skin there is literally a choir of tiny bubbles making tiny shattering noises that add up to the sound you hear.

I'm not 100% sure but I also assume the faster evaporation of alcohol might also be contributing to more/larger bubbles that get created in the final fried product.

Alcohol also inhibits gluten formation. Gluten contributes to the stretchy texture of bread, but in a fried batter you want it to be more brittle for that perception of crispness. This can also be achieved by using a low-protein cake flour, since gluten is a protein and cake flour will have less of it.

You can also pressurize beer batter in a CO2 siphon in order to overload it with tiny bubbles

The effect of alcohol is so useful in batter that many modern recipes will dope a beer batter recipe with added vodka (but they also keep the beer in because beer adds flavor)

Here's a really good article by Harold McGee about it, which also points out that the presence of alcohol also reduces the amount of water soaked up by the starch in the batter:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/07/dining/07curious.html?_r=0

That's some good poo poo, thanks mate.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i overdid it on tomato paste in a sauce, what's something relatively easy to cut that taste with?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Trebuchet King posted:

i overdid it on tomato paste in a sauce, what's something relatively easy to cut that taste with?

I've had that problem before. Someone suggested I use sugar. Haven't had an opportunity to try it yet.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Trebuchet King posted:

Something fatty like cream or coconut milk will do.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sugar and cream

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mrs. Squashy bought a "Turbo Fryer XL" for Three Easy Payments of just $39. From a loving infomercial.

I want to die.

Edit: got the name wrong, it's a "Power AirFryer XL"

https://www.powerairfryer.com

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 9, 2016

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Squashy Nipples posted:

Mrs. Squashy bought a "Turbo Fryer XL" for Three Easy Payments of just $39. From a loving infomercial.

I want to die.

Edit: got the name wrong, it's a "Power AirFryer XL"

https://www.powerairfryer.com

Friend of mine has some model of recent air fryer. He liked it for making hotwings without a lot of hassle.

Not sure what else he's gotten up to but if it could do tempura vegetables etc that might be a neat thing to have.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Trebuchet King posted:

i would definitely take on the concept of the juice cleanse and/or other cleanses in a pseudoscience course.

Yes, this one please!

I hate everything about "cleasning", and it leads to a whole host of other pseudoscience bullshit.

Eat This Glob posted:

For the pseudoscience goon, please tell your students apricot "kernels" won't cure cancer or do anything but give you cyanide poisoning if you eat enough of them.

... you mean Laetrile oil?

Holy poo poo, that's been thoroughly debunked for more then 30 years. What is wrong with people? :psyduck:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
holy poo poo look at all these people cooking corn wrong

rinse your pesticide coated corn, in the husk, then throw it onto a bunch of hot coals. rotate every 3 or so minutes. outer layer should be mostly black.

inner layer will be perfect :o:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

mindphlux posted:

holy poo poo look at all these people cooking corn wrong

rinse your pesticide coated corn, in the husk, then throw it onto a bunch of hot coals. rotate every 3 or so minutes. outer layer should be mostly black.

inner layer will be perfect :o:

Yeah he/she ran out of coals tho