Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Z3n posted:

Is it an S model or an naked model? If it's an naked model, swap to bars that aren't garbage (the OEM bars have way too much sweep and make it difficult to comfortably push forward on the bars to turn the bike), if it's an S model, you'll need to adjust your riding position, drop your elbows until your forearms are parallel to the ground, and push forward squarely on the bars.

Also, if you've gotten used to using both arms to steer, stop doing that - push with the inside arm only, or pull with the outside arm only. Using both simultaneously usually leads to one arm resisting the motion of the other arm, making the bike feel like it's hard to steer.

Also in my experience, contis have a very round profile, so they tend to take a little more effort to turn than most tires. Swapping to Pilot Roads, Pilot Powers, or a more triangulated tire will make the steering easier.

naked; i have no idea what makes good bars. low ones? do they vary in vibration levels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
"feels comfortable" is a good start on a handlebar.

I've rode a 650N and the factory bar is fine for pushing it into turns.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Verge posted:

naked; i have no idea what makes good bars. low ones? do they vary in vibration levels?

Why don't you take your handlebar money and put it towards riding lessons instead? The questions you've been asking lately portray you as A) A goddamned lunatic or B) someone who has no idea how to interact with a bike. Maybe a little of both? Do you open negotiations with the bike on every corner, to encourage it to "lean harder"? I bet you also stick a knee out in an effort to counterbalance the bike into leaning, like it's a sailboat or something.

Look where you want to go, and you'd be shocked at how far the bike will lean on it's own.

Stock bars on the SVn are fine. In fact, I found they made cornering twitchier and easier. I had big dirtbike bars on it when I bought it, and those worked fine, too. If I were purchasing aftermarket bars for your bike, I'd get the narrower pro tapers with a little bit of rise, for comfort. Go to any cycle gear and get hands on their display setup, and see what feels right.

Go pay someone to teach you how to ride, instead of farkles. I mean it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The factory naked SV bars and riding position in general is one of the best I've ever experienced but I'm a little weird that way.

Z3n posted:

If a bike is properly set up, you should be able to take your hands off the bars midcorner and nothing should change. The problem isn't with push vs pull, it's that if you do both simultaneously, you tend to give the input with one arm and resist it with the other. The first time I started consciously using one arm to steer I almost went off the inside of the road cause I had been resisting unconsciously with my other arm. These days I only use both arms to turn in high speed corners on da trackz.

If I'm understanding this right, does it mean that 90% of factory bikes are, like cars, deliberately set up to be inherently understeery for lowest common denominator reasons? Or is it just an unintended byproduct of laughably poorly judged spring rates?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Coydog posted:

Why don't you take your handlebar money and put it towards riding lessons instead? The questions you've been asking lately portray you as A) A goddamned lunatic or B) someone who has no idea how to interact with a bike. Maybe a little of both? Do you open negotiations with the bike on every corner, to encourage it to "lean harder"? I bet you also stick a knee out in an effort to counterbalance the bike into leaning, like it's a sailboat or something.

Look where you want to go, and you'd be shocked at how far the bike will lean on it's own.

Stock bars on the SVn are fine. In fact, I found they made cornering twitchier and easier. I had big dirtbike bars on it when I bought it, and those worked fine, too. If I were purchasing aftermarket bars for your bike, I'd get the narrower pro tapers with a little bit of rise, for comfort. Go to any cycle gear and get hands on their display setup, and see what feels right.

I mean, we've seen video evidence of how he rides so it's no big surprise

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

The factory naked SV bars and riding position in general is one of the best I've ever experienced but I'm a little weird that way.

If I'm understanding this right, does it mean that 90% of factory bikes are, like cars, deliberately set up to be inherently understeery for lowest common denominator reasons? Or is it just an unintended byproduct of laughably poorly judged spring rates?

Little of A, little of B.

The riding training recommendation is a good one, Verge - I can sorta scattershot advice over the fence, hoping some of it is relevant, but it does sound like you've got some habits that should be relearned :)

I hate the SV 650 N bars - their sweep puts my elbows at an impossible angle. But I'm also built like a Neanderthal so it might be better for non-knuckle staggers.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Razzled posted:

I mean, we've seen video evidence of how he rides so it's no big surprise

There's a video?

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Coydog posted:

been riding 4 years. i have no trouble leaning the bike, i just thought that heavy bars might be indicative of a problem which people have clearly pointed out to be a combination of poo poo bars and poo poo tires. that's all, heavy lean resistance. no, i don't lean with my legs, they mentioned that in class -.-

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The stock SVn bars are either ok or terrible depending on your arm length and torso:leg ratio.

Any of the big names, pro-taper, renthal, even MSR make great bars in so many bends it's impossible that there isn't one that fits you.

However, my troll alarm is going off big time with verge lately so I'm inclined to give a snarky answer but just in case, here's a real answer: renthal street fighter bars http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/renthal-street-fighter-handlebars-78

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I dunno, I've gone through Verge's post history and he's either an extraordinarily dedicated cross-forums troll, or the genuine article.

Verge: have you considered that your previous cruiser bike just had much wider bars, so you had way more leverage? A lovely dirt bike with Renthals is always going to feel like it has lighter steering than even a perfectly set-up supersport with clipons.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

I dunno, I've gone through Verge's post history and he's either an extraordinarily dedicated cross-forums troll, or the genuine article.

Verge: have you considered that your previous cruiser bike just had much wider bars, so you had way more leverage? A lovely dirt bike with Renthals is always going to feel like it has lighter steering than even a perfectly set-up supersport with clipons.

i haven't considered anything! i just wanna know that it's ok that my bars are heavy as poo poo, which it seems it is. it was super loving alarming to experience a 'stiff triple' at speed. that i don't need to lubricate my triple or some poo poo. everyone's making huge leaps and bounds about my simple observation that my bars seem stiff.

so yes, it's totally possible that i just lost some leverage

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

The only time I ever rode a motorcycle with clipons was an SV and the whole (short) ride I kept thinking "how do you turn these bars!?!"
Cruisers, dirt bikes, and a KLR we're all I'd ridden up to that point.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

tranten posted:

The only time I ever rode a motorcycle with clipons was an SV and the whole (short) ride I kept thinking "how do you turn these bars!?!"
Cruisers, dirt bikes, and a KLR we're all I'd ridden up to that point.

THANK YOU. This is probably the anomaly, folks.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Going the opposite way is magic

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

BlackMK4 posted:

Going the opposite way is magic

Am I pushing the direction I want to go, or pulling the direction I do not want to go with my opposite hand? :iiam:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
i just lean and the bike turns

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
1. Hit front brake to lay bike down
2. Slide into your turn in a shower of sparks
3. Come to a stop
4. Pick bike up and go forward again, return to step 1.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

I turn and the bike leans.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Am I pushing the direction I want to go, or pulling the direction I do not want to go with my opposite hand? :iiam:

It doesnt matter how you move it when the engines blown.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

It doesnt matter how you move it when the engines blown.

Or...how you don't :v:

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

BlackMK4 posted:

Slavvy posted:

I turn and the bike leans.

Noooooooooooooo not this again.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

CharlieWhiskey posted:

My friend hit a deer on his Suzuki 650 with his gf on the back. While they are healing, the local tow lot is charging $480+$25/day for his banged up bike on their premises, and he is asking for someone to tow it an hour back to a mechanic to start picking off the deer parts.

Does he not have insurance? When I did almost the same thing back in April, my insurance paid for and handled everything regarding the tow and storage.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

VERTiG0 posted:

Does he not have insurance? When I did almost the same thing back in April, my insurance paid for and handled everything regarding the tow and storage.

He does not have insurance that covers towing and storage, hence the scrambling to get it out.

Thanks all for the good advice. That and a couple youtube videos and I'm feeling a lot better about trying this than I was 24 hours ago.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Should've just left it at the side of the road. Free bike after the insurance payout.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Took a wee trip down to Wales to see about those tyres; turns out they do qualify for the 0% finance deal, so I'll be loading my basket up with whatever they've got that I want, including a new set of discs.

The stock ones are noticeably worse now than when I got the bike. Vibration on braking used to be undetectable below 50mph, now anything above like 25 feels like ABS kicking in (on a bike that does not have ABS :suicide:)

Anyway, I have basically no idea what I should be looking at beyond "EBC are good". This is what they've got on offer, any suggestions?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Have you cleaned your brake rotor buttons (if the bike has them)?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Or just clean the rotor faces with some simple green and a brillo pad, that might smooth it out. It's something I do regularly on the ZTL

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Z3n posted:

Have you cleaned your brake rotor buttons (if the bike has them)?

You suggested this when I first asked about brake vibration a few months ago; the button washers are crushed to poo poo. :goleft: (I don't remember if I ever actually told you that though :v:)

I know it's a thing for new riders to jump for expensive solutions to problems they don't really have, but trust me, my discs are warped. Braking at speed is now producing a heavy rhythmic thumping, and just pushing the bike around by hand you can hear the disc slide against the pad and then move away from it as the wheel turns. (that kinda "shhff.... shhff...." noise)

For cleaning the buttons I remember somebody suggesting gripping them between a nut and bolt to turn them to help get any dirt out. It looks like somebpdy tried that on mine and hosed it up.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 8, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Modern disks basically can't warp, is the thing. The wave washers are also typically designed to be crushed as they move around to center under braking. If you wanna replace the rotors because you wanna do that, go nuts! (I did it on the 1290) But if you need to save some cash you should still be able to clean them and fix the problem. :)

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
question: do you put anti seize or loctite blue on the rear sprocket bolts? i'm thinking just anti seize and torque to spec

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
STM floating buttons. Riding a tambourine is fun.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Verge posted:

steering input chat

Z3n posted:

If a bike is properly set up, you should be able to take your hands off the bars midcorner and nothing should change.

Best shittyassed video I could make with traffic and circumstances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GICEvL2-CUM

Its not really much of a turn at all, but if you aren't loaded with bad habits the bike isn't gonna give a poo poo. I'll try to go out and effortpost that this weekend or nextweek or maybe never if I forget. :v:

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Is this where I ask terrible beginner questions about the bike I just purchased and get mocked relentlessly for it?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
My first trailering went flawlessly. And the bike had disappointingly little deer blood or fur on it. My car-centric brain disbelieved that 6 ratchet straps could hold a bike in place, but I proved my brain wrong. Thanks again all for the tips.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, that's one way....

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

IuniusBrutus posted:

Is this where I ask terrible beginner questions about the bike I just purchased and get mocked relentlessly for it?

Uh yep, and also the crash test thread in a few weeks or so

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Why is my bike "burping". I'm riding along holding rpm and then power loss/gain repeatedly. Sounds like it's burping. What the fuuuck. I just had the bike in the shop for a month and got a new engine put in.............

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Bubbles in the fuel line? Mine does that when I accidentally ride with the petcock closed or when I'm running out of fuel.

Z3n posted:

Modern disks basically can't warp, is the thing. The wave washers are also typically designed to be crushed as they move around to center under braking. If you wanna replace the rotors because you wanna do that, go nuts! (I did it on the 1290) But if you need to save some cash you should still be able to clean them and fix the problem. :)

How about I post 'em to you and you can try cleaning them. :v:

If the discs aren't warped as such, they're at least locked up out of true; you say the wave springs are supposed to crush, but I don't think you mean all the way crushed, right? The buttons are totally flush with the disc surface with no play at all. I'd probably want someone to pay me the price of a new set of discs to bother spending the time and effort to repair these, so.

Anyways, is there anything at all to look for in new discs beyond "not Chinese"?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

IuniusBrutus posted:

If you got a Schwinn or Mongoose then gtfo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
But seriously, thanks for looking out for me/my wallet, Z3n. I'm not just ignoring your advice, I've spent most of the last three months weighing this up, and while I'd obviously rather not spend huge amounts of money if I don't have to, I kind of do have to in this case.

Like, I could not spend the money, but that wouldn't lead to me fixing the rotors. It would lead to them getting left alone, and to me becoming increasingly fearful of using the front brake hard, until I have an accident as a result (I've already had some near misses). £300 seems fair to definitely lower my odds of dying young, even though there's a ton of things I'd much prefer to spend it on.