Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

thecluckmeme posted:

I really liked that part of the way you'd have to route this (solve puzzles as quickly as possible) also explicitly makes it more difficult for a viewer of the speedrun to see and understand the solutions. This is the kind of game you could watch a 100% speedrun for, and after it's done, you could go pick up the game and only have a better understanding of the basics while being completely blind to how the puzzles are even solved, much less remember the actual solutions.

Also, it's atmospheric as gently caress and every time I grabbed an audio log I would just sit and stare at the surroundings while they played. Knowing how the game is about epiphanies and a constantly changing perspective, it actually makes the audio logs work better, but for every audio log you play that you don't understand the core concept of "epiphany" in the game, you lose out more and more on why the audio logs are even included.

In short: Look around you! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
This run's lookin comfy.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

NRVNQSR posted:

It does. Including the eclipse, though there's a commonly run category that excludes that specific one for the sake of saving an hour and the runner's sanity.
I looked up what this was and now simultaneously wish to shake Jonathan Blow's hand and punch him in the face.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Erata posted:

In short: Look around you! :D

man how dope would The Witness be if all its science was the kind of nonsense in Look Around You

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

ElNarez posted:

man how dope would The Witness be if all its science was the kind of nonsense in Look Around You
Thanks The Witness.
Thitness.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

ElNarez posted:

I'd eat it up even more.

How many times can you connect two dots? We just don't know.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Croccers posted:

Thanks The Witness.
Thitness.

:lol:

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

ElNarez posted:

I would play the hell out of that

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Beasteh posted:

Chats pretty much merciless re: anyone on the couch looking remotely 'alternative' and it was especially bad this run

I feel like there can't be any less toothless criticism than anons who watch videogame streams at 3 AM on a Friday calling you ugly

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I never played Trine 3, although the first two are fine enough puzzle games. Maybe I'll get it in a Steam sale or Humble Bundle in a couple years.

Bad Seafood posted:

I looked up what this was and now simultaneously wish to shake Jonathan Blow's hand and punch him in the face.
It's in the same proud tradition as the star in Braid that takes ~2 hours of real time to collect. Yes, that is an actual thing.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Incoherence posted:

I never played Trine 3, although the first two are fine enough puzzle games. Maybe I'll get it in a Steam sale or Humble Bundle in a couple years.

It's in the same proud tradition as the star in Braid that takes ~2 hours of real time to collect. Yes, that is an actual thing.

Or the flame baby ending from The Stanley Parable

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Someone tell the runners to just do this bit the normal way, drat

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Propaganda Hour posted:

Or the flame baby ending from The Stanley Parable

Sounds like a good idea for a donation incentive.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

That is the most magical gun I've ever seen.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Morning fellow goons. I went to sleep during Trials, what did I miss since then? I guess with a 1000 posts in the thread, something must have happened.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The bethseda runs are very magical in that wonderful bethseda way.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

Kikas posted:

Morning fellow goons. I went to sleep during Trials, what did I miss since then? I guess with a 1000 posts in the thread, something must have happened.

the skyrim run was fantastic, the rest were okay

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Bad Seafood posted:

That is the most magical gun I've ever seen.
I love the sequence of "IT'S A GUN" donations they just read.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Incoherence posted:

Yeah, I remember. Learning about that one made me give up on even attempting any of the others.

Like I get what he's trying to "Say" by throwing a puzzle like that in there, but I don't think it's a very interesting statement. It certainly isn't a very interesting puzzle.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, I remember. Learning about that one made me give up on even attempting any of the others.
True story: I tried that star once (I was in college and had some reading to do while I waited), and missed the jump and fell down. I did not try again.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Incoherence posted:

I love the sequence of "IT'S A GUN" donations they just read.
It's totally a gun.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Man, this Trine 3 race is really even.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I missed the two Fallout runs and The Witness. Are they worth watching?

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

It's a gun

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Aw man, I just noticed all the added games have bumped the TAS block in the middle of the night for me. At this moment it's watchable but if there's any more bumps it'll have to be VOD. And that stuff is something I'd really want to catch live.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
What could have been....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpuF4edNcNQ

:slick:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i like how trine 3 is 3d but half the game is just sidescrolling but with the added fun of physics not working the way you want because now it's more than one plane

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Hey guys, just waking up in Europe, what was good the past 10 hours or so

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

oh my god JC a gun

On a related note Trine looks like the kind of game that would be fun to play with three people but would be terrible and awful singleplayer

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I was doing some poking around and some people are saying the Ty runner got banned?

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

I was doing some poking around and some people are saying the Ty runner got banned?

banned for inciting violence

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

John McClane posted:

Hey guys, just waking up in Europe, what was good the past 10 hours or so

The whole Bethesda block was pretty good. I'm watching live now with Shantae.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Bad Seafood posted:

No. Prolly banned from actually running at a GDQ in the future for ignoring a donation incentive, but he didn't do anything to get outright banned from this or any future GDQ events. His run was nowhere near ban-worthy.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if you like the look/feel of this game do yourself a solid and still skip riskys revenge and move right to the sequel (Pirate's Curse)

the first time you open the map you'll get an idea of what kind of nightmare you're in for, design-wise

Fogie
Mar 1, 2003

Shantae is an OG Huckabee son

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Bad Seafood posted:

has anyone been actually banned that the rumor mill has said this about?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Cubey posted:

Prolly banned from actually running at a GDQ in the future for ignoring a donation incentive
Yeah, that's all that's being said.

I was just wondering whether it was true or not.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Cubey posted:

No. Prolly banned from actually running at a GDQ in the future for ignoring a donation incentive, but he didn't do anything to get outright banned from this or any future GDQ events. His run was nowhere near ban-worthy.

Assuming he actually followed through on his "$1 per kill" commitment I don't see how he can be accused of ignoring the incentive. Or was there another incentive apart from Pacifist that I didn't know about?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

What is he trying to do with the taking hits in Shantae?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Ramos posted:

What is he trying to do with the taking hits in Shantae?

"Quick kill" that's already taken longer than a normal kill I guess

• Locked thread