Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Goons getting excited over food? Well I never.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
LootCrate and its clones know exactly who their target demographic is - late 20s-early 40s nerds/gamers with no taste, at least half of whom work at video game companies. I swear like 75% of the people I worked with at Blizz subscribed to the stupid thing, and displayed their millions of nerd toys proudly on/on top of/under/around their desk, some to absolutely absurd levels.

Nerds are the easiest demographic to scam because they have both disposable income and a limited sense of taste and/or quality. Also nobody who sells overpriced junk really feels bad about scamming nerds, unlike, say, old people, or kids. Nerds will give you money for anything and there's plenty of companies out there who will take full advantage of it while they relax in their swimming pool full of dork money like Scrooge McDuck.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nerds are also fully capable of making their own decisions, so you don't have to deceive them.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

Does someone have a link to that SA-Mart thread where a goon literally scammed a bunch of other goons into his fake Lootcrate-esque service?

IIRC, he was literally sending out his trash in boxes at like $20-$25 a pop, "guaranteeing" that there was at least $30 or so worth of merch in them.

He even showed pictures of his company's "office" that some other goon figured out was just a loving conference room in some university's student union.

Hell, it might even have already been mentioned/linked to in this thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3338464&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post380921962

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I always love threads where people just so gleefully get scammed "oh you know if it's a ripoff, whatever why is everyone so pessimistic? "

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Nerds are highly into totemic indicators of larger phenomena that they have no clue about the surrounding context. The classic fedora wasn't about the fedora itself, it was about a presented lifestyle, attitude, and mindset. Nerds just latched onto the hat, which was subsidiary at best. Nerds hate context.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I would posit that the majority of LootCrate purchases are made by people/grandmothers as gifts for their nerdy cousin etc. that they don't know that well.

"I don't understand all this star wars business that young Timmy is into, but I'll spend $10 and this company will get him all the weird nerd stuff that he likes."

And on the food boxes - one of my favourite podcasts has started advertising this thing that sends you food and a recipe on how to cook it. They actually promote it like "we know how you hate to leave the house, and we know you can't make anything harder than macaroni and cheese. Well we will give you the food, and baby step you through how to cook it, and you will never have to go outside, or experiment and learn cooking skills"

I might be being a little harsh on them, coz it might be good for people with no time to do the grocery shopping, but the way they market it is as if you are terrified of leaving the house, and are unable to boil water. Also, half the fun of cooking is fiddling about and finding out what you like and don't like, and tinkering with other peoples recipes to make them your own.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CobiWann posted:

My wife gets HorrorBlock and it's been worthwhile - a horror movie themed t-shirt, a Vinyl Pop, some trinket like a zombie door stop or stickers, a copy of Rue Morgue magazine, and a cheesy straight-to-DVD movie.

We cancelled LootCrate and one other two or three months in, but we've had HorrorBlock for a year now.

Yea I understand wanting the more 'specialized' crate services a lot more. Like, yea that actually sounds up my alley too, because I'm a horror dork so a box with a lovely horror movie and some trinkets every month is something I know I can actively use because I and/or my friends can at least get drunk and watch the movie. Same with stuff like the international snack/candy boxes, I can at least eat dumb Japanese candy and share the ones I'm not into and all.

But the broad 'nerd' stuff never really hit me well. I got LootCrate for a bit and then stopped because, yea there's only so many graphic 'nerd culture' t-shirts a man needs. It's the most broad possible grab at the absolute most popular things. There's nothing wrong with popular but if I want, say, Game of Thrones magnets I can just get those at near any store with magnets, there's no factor of 'if only I had a box sent to me to do this for me!'.

It feels like there's a bad relationship there, the more 'useful' a box is chances are the more niche and focused it is, but at the same time the more niche it is the less people go 'oh I need that'. Still somehow there's always new ones starting. A trading card game youtube channel I like started their own box of cards they send you, there was a (now gone I think) sports collectibles box for baseball and other sports. Are boxes our new weird bubble?

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
I feel like there's probably a lot of things in those boxes that probably should never have been made in the first place and people should probably stop collecting mounds of weird crap. Considering how many even here have tried these boxes, it seems like the whole scheme has been successful, but it's probably nearing time to get out of the box o' leftovers business.

Anyway, you all need to check out the latest Dollop podcast and learn about what happened to The Noid (tm).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
subscribe to my new service, Noidbox, for only 15.99 a month you'll be sent a box of hot Noid gear perfect for the Noidhead in your life.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I had a referral to the grazebox thing back when they were like $6 still and I only paid that full price for maybe 2 of 5 boxes, the others were free or very heavily discounted because they offer stuff when they want you to come back

I recently cancelled my subscription after having it set to 'on vacation' for nearly a year and a few weeks later they sent the 'get a box half off!!' email, which was tempting but I'm poor

It was cute, it had cute packaging, and the snacks were tasty; I think the 8 snacks for like $10? is still a decent price for what it is, but I could buy several meals worth of food for that price

they kinda pick snacks randomly from the semi-selection you can make but even the 'bad' snacks were okay, I wouldn't be able to say that about some lovely gamer crate or make-up box

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

BrigadierSensible posted:

And on the food boxes - one of my favourite podcasts has started advertising this thing that sends you food and a recipe on how to cook it. They actually promote it like "we know how you hate to leave the house, and we know you can't make anything harder than macaroni and cheese. Well we will give you the food, and baby step you through how to cook it, and you will never have to go outside, or experiment and learn cooking skills"

We had chuggers in our shopping centre selling pre-packed recipe food box things.

I stood in awe, as I realised that we had hit peak laziness*.

(* = Until some other company offers a service to brush your teeth, or something.)

Speaking of boxes, they rely on the Skinner principle, much like gambling in order to convince people that "maybe next month, I'll get something I really wanted".

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

This is the greatest thing ever. I may have found my favorite thread on this site. I wish it wasn't closed so quickly, I wanted to see what happened with all of the information dug up

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

I might be being a little harsh on them, coz it might be good for people with no time to do the grocery shopping, but the way they market it is as if you are terrified of leaving the house, and are unable to boil water. Also, half the fun of cooking is fiddling about and finding out what you like and don't like, and tinkering with other peoples recipes to make them your own.

The copy they read on podcasts I listen to really rubs me the wrong way because it reinforces this weird neurotic, infantilised thing that a lot of people my age seem to have latched onto in the last few years. 'We know nobody likes going to the grocery store after work. It's so confusing, what do I buy? How much of each thing do I need? If I buy all the ingredients for this dish I'm going to end up with a wilting half-bunch of parsley in my fridge. Well Blue Apron has the solution to your problem. Blah, blah blah.'

Buying groceries and preparing food for yourself is a basic human skill. Going to the grocery store is not necessarily going to be fun on a bun but it's part of being an adult. It's something you do, get done, then move on with your life. You don't loving dwell on it and get stressed out or upset about having to wait in line for five minutes at the checkout (there's got to be a better way!!) or whatever the gently caress. It truly baffles me that people can have such a negative relationship with simple human tasks that essentially boil down to 'hunting / gathering'. If you can't find it in yourself to perform these tasks at at least a subsistence level then you've failed at being a human being.

But then last week I watched my housemate try to make 'tacos' wherein the recipe was 'drain a can of beans, make a cabbage / carrot slaw, combine ingredients onto a taco' and she hosed up every. single. step of the process, caused herself a huge amount of stress and frustration and ended up throwing everything away and eating a bunch of plain taco shells for dinner.

So maybe it's time for us all to lie down and let the roaches have a shot at running the planet for a while, is what I'm trying to say here.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

cyberia posted:

The copy they read on podcasts I listen to really rubs me the wrong way because it reinforces this weird neurotic, infantilised thing that a lot of people my age seem to have latched onto in the last few years. 'We know nobody likes going to the grocery store after work. It's so confusing, what do I buy? How much of each thing do I need? If I buy all the ingredients for this dish I'm going to end up with a wilting half-bunch of parsley in my fridge. Well Blue Apron has the solution to your problem. Blah, blah blah.'
You hear people talk that way when they're not advertising anything too. I've heard so many people on TV/radio/podcasts/whatever talk about how they sometimes decide to cook something, so they go buy a bunch of stuff and then it sits in their fridge until it goes bad. How the gently caress do these people eat? Is it just restaurants/takeaway every day?

cyberia posted:

But then last week I watched my housemate try to make 'tacos' wherein the recipe was 'drain a can of beans, make a cabbage / carrot slaw, combine ingredients onto a taco' and she hosed up every. single. step of the process, caused herself a huge amount of stress and frustration and ended up throwing everything away and eating a bunch of plain taco shells for dinner.
I don't think I could watch that without getting up and helping. Like, I might start out "do you need a hand with that?" or something, but at some point you've got to step in and go "look, I'll show you, just let me do it so you'll know how next time."

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Tiggum posted:

I don't think I could watch that without getting up and helping. Like, I might start out "do you need a hand with that?" or something, but at some point you've got to step in and go "look, I'll show you, just let me do it so you'll know how next time."

I offered to help but she's super weird about doing stuff herself. She's vegan and I always offer to share my food or show her how to cook simple vegan stuff that isn't just fake meat or expensive 'organic, artisanal' garbage but she would rather just eat chips or pre-packaged salads and continue to stress about not being able to cook :shrug:

As to how do people eat when they have this bizarre relationship with food? The people I know tend to eat junk food (hot chips are vegan, you know) or packaged salads from the supermarket or they just eat ingredients rather than try to make cohesive dishes. Like they'll buy a bag of spinach leaves and just eat them out of the bag instead of making salad. Those ninja blenders are popular, too. Just throw a bunch of crap in it and drink the sludge. Boom, nutrition hacked. It's weird, I don't get it and if I try to think about it too much I get a headache.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sic Semper Goon posted:

We had chuggers in our shopping centre selling pre-packed recipe food box things.

(* = Until some other company offers a service to brush your teeth, or something.)

Speaking of boxes, they rely on the Skinner principle, much like gambling in order to convince people that "maybe next month, I'll get something I really wanted".

Peak laziness is just ordering takeout/delivery.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

cyberia posted:

Buying groceries and preparing food for yourself is a basic human skill. Going to the grocery store is not necessarily going to be fun on a bun but it's part of being an adult. It's something you do, get done, then move on with your life. You don't loving dwell on it and get stressed out or upset about having to wait in line for five minutes at the checkout (there's got to be a better way!!) or whatever the gently caress. It truly baffles me that people can have such a negative relationship with simple human tasks that essentially boil down to 'hunting / gathering'. If you can't find it in yourself to perform these tasks at at least a subsistence level then you've failed at being a human being.

So maybe it's time for us all to lie down and let the roaches have a shot at running the planet for a while, is what I'm trying to say here.

Jesus Christ, buy a cook book or just watch a how to video on YouTube if you're clueless enough that cook books won't help.
My sister, who regularly burns instant ramen and recently gave me a crate of organic mac and cheese boxes because it was too difficult for her to make them, bought a very basic cook book and made sesame noodles with chicken by herself. They came out a weird, brown/gray color instead of light brown, but it legitimately tasted good. I only helped her by buying some tahini from an arabic deli and explaining the difference between scallions and green onions, everything else was a 25 year old woman cooking herself a meal for the first time by reading a book

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

They're just putching this wrong, because it sounds great for someone like me. I'm not super adventurous with food, because trying to be is honestly too much effort between knowing what to get and how to use it given, if it's a new meal, I have no loving clue if I'll like the end result and if that's because I hosed up or if I just don't like this thing. As a kid I didn't eat pizza, ever, because the local pizza place was garbage but I had no frame of reference to figure that out.

This sounds like something I could conceivably work with, because it's taking as many uncontrollable variables as possible out of the equation. Maybe I won't like it, and maybe the foodies I am inexplicably surrounded by would turn up their nose, but it's an opportunity to try something I don't know in an environment I can trust the result of.

I mean, y'know, provided their end of things isn't totally hosed somehow like all those other box things are.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I have gotten the Lucha Libre themed crate before. It usually comes with cool stuff that is hard to get in America like Lucha DVDs and official merch from companies that don't sell merch in the US.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

insane people posted:

crates and food and other stupid bullshit
Holy poo poo, I never realized until tonight how doomed the younger generations are. You stupid fucks can't even buy food without it coming with some kind of gimmick arsenic laced almond shell, can you?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just saw an advert that appealed nicely to my inner 5 year old. The new movie with Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart, Central Intelligence has the tagline:

"All it takes is a little Hart, and a big Johnson"

I just found that amusing because I am a total child sometimes.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

HairyManling posted:

Holy poo poo, I never realized until tonight how doomed the younger generations are. You stupid fucks can't even buy food without it coming with some kind of gimmick arsenic laced almond shell, can you?

thanks, gramps, your opinions are novel and unique to this generation and definitely not what losers have been saying in literally every generation of human history

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'd do the blue apron thing or w/e it is because it's the "i want to try a new recipe" night of the week or two weeks, only i don't have to decide from one of the 800 recipes i'm interested in but can't decide from, and then have to go pick the odd ingredients up that aren't my staples. I can notecard that poo poo, decide how i'd like to tweak it or if it was worth the effort, then do it on my own later with my own ingredients.

If I got repeat recipes i'd be understandably pissed, but just having somebody else throw a curveball to cook? That's pretty cool. Dunno why everyone thinks it's the end of the world, for being a "cooking inspiration without extra work" deal it looks loving awesome.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

thecluckmeme posted:

I'd do the blue apron thing or w/e it is because it's the "i want to try a new recipe" night of the week or two weeks, only i don't have to decide from one of the 800 recipes i'm interested in but can't decide from, and then have to go pick the odd ingredients up that aren't my staples. I can notecard that poo poo, decide how i'd like to tweak it or if it was worth the effort, then do it on my own later with my own ingredients.

If I got repeat recipes i'd be understandably pissed, but just having somebody else throw a curveball to cook? That's pretty cool. Dunno why everyone thinks it's the end of the world, for being a "cooking inspiration without extra work" deal it looks loving awesome.

Because it's not marketed that way to the majority. It's marketed as literally 'if the idea of deciding what to cook and going to the supermarket and then having to cook a thing unguided causes you to curl up in the foetal position and sob then subscribe to Blue Apron and we'll do all the hard work for you'. I've never heard it advertised as a 'sometimes treat', it's always shown as a 'this service will help you prepare dinner every night' type of thing.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Hey, man. Shaving is hard. Squarespace understands, but cannot help you.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Squarespace is not a law firm

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Has anyone done a book, or should I say a none :bahgawd: book about the problem of a lot of adulthood being ridiculed or seen as a bad thing by people?

Because, speaking from a personal perspective, I wouldn't want to be growing up now when the adult world is filled with insanity like Trump and mass murder and everything and a constant streaming of it through news and business and the complete collapse of all trust in institutions larger than 5 people. I mean, in general, people keep trying to argue that the world is getting better, but it does seem something interesting to have a look at.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I sincerely dislike cooking. Since my girlfriend moved in, she cooks while I clean. It works.

She is now out for a whole month, so I just cook for myself. Like a functional adult.

I don't know how people, even if they dislike cooking, can't manage to feed themselves without resorting to take out or pre packaged meals. The only situation where those meals make sense is if you're calorie counting, since it's easier to just eat what they send instead of cooking and going "oh I'm sure a bit more won't hurt" every time.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

The Door Frame posted:

explaining the difference between scallions and green onions

There's a difference? I'm not being an anus here, I'm a fairly decent cook and thought they were just two different names for basically the same thing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Basically, they sell you a Blue Apron box in store?

As someone who likes to cook, I'm not fully opposed to something like that. The problem for me arises when you encounter people like my parents. A few years ago, I moved in with them for a month due to unemployment. They have become so accustomed to eating nothing but Betty Crocker boxed type stuff, and Tyson frozen chicken type things that when I cooked them a rather inoffensive meal, they loving hated it. It's been 4 years, and I still occasionally get complaints about using a small onion and a clove of garlic.

Back to the box, I would probably buy something like that on occasion. Sometimes I'll just feel uninspired, or have nothing planned, or whatnot, and being able to stop by Kroger on the way home and just pick up a box containing a full "from scratch" meal, would be nice.

Thinking about it, from a marketing perspective, that might actually not be a bad way of selling off the perishables that are a few days from their sell by date.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Non Serviam posted:

I sincerely dislike cooking. Since my girlfriend moved in, she cooks while I clean. It works.

She is now out for a whole month, so I just cook for myself. Like a functional adult.

I don't know how people, even if they dislike cooking, can't manage to feed themselves without resorting to take out or pre packaged meals. The only situation where those meals make sense is if you're calorie counting, since it's easier to just eat what they send instead of cooking and going "oh I'm sure a bit more won't hurt" every time.

When I moved in together with my wife (then girlfriend) I ended up taking over cooking duties. After a few months I asked her if she was upset that she never got to cook, and over a decade later she says she still has no loving clue why I think that would bother her.

Just think it's funny how different people's perspectives on this can be. Cooking to her as an annoying chore, whereas I love the alchemy behind a good meal and see it as a chance to make tasty things for myself and my family.

Edit: for anyone who wants to cook but find things complicated, check out the Fannie Farmer cookbook. It's got some more interesting recipes, but it also breaks down the basics for you if you're just looking to boil an egg or something.

Quiet Feet has a new favorite as of 14:13 on Jul 8, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If you're making sweeping assumptions about an entire generation of people based on niche ads on a niche media format you don't really have any grounds to be looking down on other peoples' intelligence.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

My favourite Lootbox type of thing was, I think, Possum in a Box (?), where somebody created a bot that would go through Ebay auctions and bid 5$ of money people would send them. You never knew what you would receive and the unboxing videos were hilarious.

Tried to google find it right now but wasn't able to, so maybe I've gotten the name wrong - but I remembered it having a possum in a logo

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Iron Crowned posted:

Thinking about it, from a marketing perspective, that might actually not be a bad way of selling off the perishables that are a few days from their sell by date.

We did this once in a while at the price premium grocer I used to work at. Stew meat that's a few days from its sell-by date, slightly wilted celery, dicey-looking carrots, etc. all in one bag, sold as a beef stew kit. Our store wouldn't allow bruised/wilted/iffy veggies on the shelves, so we were able to sell them for pennies per pound, and the meat would be marked down by 50% two days before we threw it out, so we were able to sell whole meals for next to nothing. It was pretty neat, and I wish more stores would do stuff like that rather than just throw away perfectly good fresh food just because it's bruised or wilted or whatever.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

canis minor posted:

My favourite Lootbox type of thing was, I think, Possum in a Box (?), where somebody created a bot that would go through Ebay auctions and bid 5$ of money people would send them. You never knew what you would receive and the unboxing videos were hilarious.

Tried to google find it right now but wasn't able to, so maybe I've gotten the name wrong - but I remembered it having a possum in a logo

Bobcat-in-a-box, maybe? Seems to be what you're describing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Antitonic posted:

Bobcat-in-a-box, maybe? Seems to be what you're describing.

I kinda want that now. Although I also want some Dinosaurs too :ohdear:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
https://twitter.com/asterios/status/568658337404985344

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

PopeCrunch posted:

There's a difference? I'm not being an anus here, I'm a fairly decent cook and thought they were just two different names for basically the same thing.
I thought they were the same thing too, and so I checked Wikipedia and they are. :shrug:

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

We did this once in a while at the price premium grocer I used to work at. Stew meat that's a few days from its sell-by date, slightly wilted celery, dicey-looking carrots, etc. all in one bag, sold as a beef stew kit. Our store wouldn't allow bruised/wilted/iffy veggies on the shelves, so we were able to sell them for pennies per pound, and the meat would be marked down by 50% two days before we threw it out, so we were able to sell whole meals for next to nothing. It was pretty neat, and I wish more stores would do stuff like that rather than just throw away perfectly good fresh food just because it's bruised or wilted or whatever.
The small supermarket near my house often sells past use-by (or past their best) foods marked down by a lot, and sometimes they're definitely worth getting. Other times they'll throw a bunch of mushy, half-mouldy tomatoes in a bag and mark it a dollar instead of just throwing them in the garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I have too much poo poo getting mailed to my house. Wife has BirchBox, teenage daughter has Ipsy, and youngest daughter has TinkerCrate.

Overall it's not too bad. They get all excited over stuff in boxes. As far as Christmas gifts go, these at least keep providing brief moments of happiness every month for a year.

The Ipsy one was pretty terrible from a marketing standpoint. They put me on a waiting list because 'demand'. The only way to get off the list was to wait multiple months or advertise for them on Facebook.