Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this discussion made me think that 3ds dq7 was out. it is not. boo to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So much Dragon Quest this year. The 3DS version is enough to get me to finally complete that game. And I'll replay DQ8 as well. And DQ Builders impressed Jeff Gerstmann of all people so it's probably going to be the best of them all.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Serious Frolicking posted:

Yeah seriously why play dq7 when the superior remake is coming?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Linnaeus posted:

Well there goes my plan of beating dragon quest 7 before smt4:a comes out. Is it even possible to beat dq7 in four days?

There's a ~16 hour speedrun somehow.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Rascyc posted:

Yeah seriously why play dq7

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
town of furries

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Man there is so much right about Tokyo Mirage but these side quests/stories/requests are the absolute worst. They are the complete definition of filler but I must have all the costumes/special moves!!!!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

dis astranagant posted:

There's a ~16 hour speedrun somehow.

What the gently caress, how is this possible? It takes several hours just to get to the first combat.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rascyc posted:

Man there is so much right about Tokyo Mirage but these side quests/stories/requests are the absolute worst. They are the complete definition of filler but I must have all the costumes/special moves!!!!

The character specific quests lead to funny cutscenes, everything else that's a Warcraft "find X garbage in Y dungeon" or "find specific enemy among similar looking enemies" can go to hell.

I seriously hope this stuff doesn't crop its head in Persona 5 but it's a Japanese RPG so I know it will.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

What the gently caress, how is this possible? It takes several hours just to get to the first combat.

Dude gets to the first battle in 27 minutes, beats the whole thing in 15h 22m https://www.twitch.tv/highspirits/v/57338802

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ornamented Death posted:

It took me two hours on my first playthrough. It's annoyingly, egregiously, mind-blowingly long, and easily the worst thing about that game, and I hope they fixed it in the 3DS port, but it's not several hours unless you get really turned around or spend lots of time exploring the tiny set of areas available to you.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Linnaeus posted:

Well there goes my plan of beating dragon quest 7 before smt4:a comes out. Is it even possible to beat dq7 in four days?

maybe if you speedhack

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

The character specific quests lead to funny cutscenes, everything else that's a Warcraft "find X garbage in Y dungeon" or "find specific enemy among similar looking enemies" can go to hell.

I seriously hope this stuff doesn't crop its head in Persona 5 but it's a Japanese RPG so I know it will.
it won't :toxx:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I wasn't aware until the internet that dragon quest VII is apparently the longest jrpg of all time

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Endorph posted:

it won't :toxx:

It was in Persona 4 so it will

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

I wasn't aware until the internet that dragon quest VII is apparently the longest jrpg of all time
isn't it the game that takes like 20 hours to get to the first fight, or something?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

voltcatfish posted:

There's a few that probably come close, Tales of Vesperia and the two Xenoblades if you try and do everything in them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragon Quest VII has an insanely long intro and a ton of content but outside of that it's not *that* long really unless you're genuinely looking to 100% it. It's still frigging long mind you.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Isn't there an item in Baten Kaitos that takes like a week of in game time to change into another item?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

There's a lot of recycled content.

I'd give the crown to DQ8 when it comes to pure original content.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Isn't there an item in Baten Kaitos that takes like a week of in game time to change into another item?

yeah, but that only matters for speedrunning and people with ocd.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

id say the longest jrpg would be a 100% run of xenoblade

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The longest JRPG would be getting all trophies in Star Ocean 4, natch.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Dragon Quest VII has an insanely long intro and a ton of content but outside of that it's not *that* long really unless you're genuinely looking to 100% it. It's still frigging long mind you.

My first save had something like 135 hours on it and I didn't touch the postgame stuff. It's a good 12 hours before you get access to the class system and many more before you get any tangible benefit out of it (assuming you don't blunder into the many noob traps, such as the intermediate classes listed in the manual).

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 8, 2016

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Not 3?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i think i skipped 99% of optional quests in persona 3 and 4 because all the rewards were trash items, lovely joke equipment and ugly outfits and they weren't any fun to do nor had any interesting plot going on

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

the longest jrpg is getting all the trophies in tales of vesperia because the bonus condition in the fight with yeager is literally impossible

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I remember 4 being a worse game to 100% but maybe it was just because it had lovely achievements.

Endorph posted:

the longest jrpg is getting all the trophies in tales of vesperia because the bonus condition in the fight with yeager is literally impossible

Huh? That's weird, that's the one where you have to use Raven, right? I swore I got that one. Maybe I'm thinking of another one.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Doesn't 100%'ing Nier involve a lot of long, bullshit, esoteric nonsense on top of beating the game multiple times?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Huh? That's weird, that's the one where you have to use Raven, right? I swore I got that one. Maybe I'm thinking of another one.
by literally impossible i mean 'possible but you can spend literally twelve hours on it if the rng doesn't like you'

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

100% completed tales of symphonia took me like 600 hours.

That may have been largely laziness though because playing lovely minigames, randomly getting figures, and grinding cooking is soulless.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It took me two hours on my first playthrough. It's annoyingly, egregiously, mind-blowingly long, and easily the worst thing about that game, and I hope they fixed it in the 3DS port, but it's not several hours unless you get really turned around or spend lots of time exploring the tiny set of areas available to you.

It's probably a combination of being fairly thorough in my explorations and having played the game over 15 years ago, so my memory is a little fuzzy. I just recall it taking an absurdly long time to get to the first battle.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Endorph posted:

The only one I didn't get was the one where you need to have that item for Estelle because it was in a timed sidequest I had already missed.

I actually liked the secret missions in that game even though I don't remember even half of them anymore.

ImpAtom posted:

I remember 4 being a worse game to 100% but maybe it was just because it had lovely achievements..

All I know is I tried the one where you fight 10,000 battles with a full bonus or whatever it was, got to like 300 and realized how much time I had wasted and never bothered again.

It is likely still the reason I don't bother with achievements/trophies in 95% of games.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

i remember that and final fantasy 11 always being named. looking it up so4 has a approximate time of 250 hours, ff11 a time of... 6 months to 2 years

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

by literally impossible i mean 'possible but you can spend literally twelve hours on it if the rng doesn't like you'

Oh, that's fair. It's a lovely one, I just thought you mean it was glitched.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

al-azad posted:

Doesn't 100%'ing Nier involve a lot of long, bullshit, esoteric nonsense on top of beating the game multiple times?

Many of the sidequests are tedious bullshit and call you out for doing them. One in particular involves this multiweek real time flower breeding scheme that the game barely hints at.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Phantasium posted:

The only one I didn't get was the one where you need to have that item for Estelle because it was in a timed sidequest I had already missed.

My only 1000/1000 360 game, Tales of Vesperia :smuggo:

...I didn't actually platinum Graces or Xillia though. Got too old.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Also does Star Ocean 5 have battle trophies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

al-azad posted:

It involves getting double-digit numbers of an item that's 10% to spawn from one gathering place that you can only get to before a certain boss fight destroys it (but you can NG+ to make it come back), growing a flower that is a hybrid of two other hybrid flower types (without a guide it'll probably take you literally forever), figuring out the fishing minigame, beating the game once plus three NG+, farming a couple million gold...

...it's faster with the DLC because it gives you more Eagle Egg spawn points and lots of gold more easily, but it's a goddamn slog either way.