Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electromax
May 6, 2007

I think the actual closest the Avengers movie comes to approximating something like the impact of its events is this stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXPJ6xFvdWk

It's kind of a little microcosm of the tones that seem most divisive in this thread for people who hate one franchise or the other. People circled around Superman in awe while he looks concerned about the weight of things vs. people shaving their hair like Tony for a gag and kids reenacting their favorite Hulk roars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The thing that always gets me, in Avengers, is when Tony Stark is handed a dossier proving the existence of extraterrestrial life, and then he reads it offscreen and there's no reaction. Then he meets the alien and he's like ha-ha Shakespeare.

Contrast that with METROPOLIS: MANKIND IS INTRODUCED TO THE SUPERMAN.

Tony Stark's always going on about the wormhole and how insane/terrifying it is, but that's what you call an informed attribute.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Elfgames posted:

what do the people on the streets know about that? all they know is aliens came pouring out of the sky.

The JFK assassination produced weirder conspiracy theories than just mind control (both it directly and the " government must be lying to you" mindset that it created).

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

While watching BvS, my partner couldn't understand the big deal about superman being overseas, and it made me think about how governments are shown in comic book movies. In the mcu, there are "state" lines, but everything still runs through the world organization/shadow government. The most "real" political moments we get from this have to deal with wakanda and it's extraordinary isolation status. By contrast the dcu has the world still exist as it is. That America could be a super power and have a superman, is an inherent reason why Clark is on trial.My partner brought up she noticed they say "this planet/world" a lot in these films, which really drives home the separation they're trying to impart.

"On this planet, every action is a political action."

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 8, 2016

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

The JFK assassination produced weirder conspiracy theories than just mind control (both it directly and the " government must be lying to you" mindset that it created).

yeah but i don't think juries tend to convict on conspiracy theories. I mean i'm sure you can get some dude in a tinfoil hat to belive in mind control easy. that isn't the problem what is funny is that all the stuff tony gets blamed for nobody ever mentions the hordes of aliens descending from over his building. by civil war there should be at least a sizable portion of the country wondering if that wasn't a false flag operation.

Edit: hell tony stark can easily crate a replica nuke and drone ironman suit and when they go through the "portal" all the aliens drop like robots that have their off switches hit. then when shield's getting close to the truth tony stark's good buddy drops them out of the air

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 8, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/751408267205578752
https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/751408569761738754

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
"everyone's favorite, Slipknot" is actually pretty funny.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

beaten

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

They really are hanging a lampshade on that.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If this is the movie to somehow imbue Jai Courtney with any kind of charisma or personality it is a monumental achievement of the director.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I really hope when Slipknot gets red-shirted he at least goes out in a blaze of glory or gets to merc a bunch of guys before being finally put down. But I don't know how you gonna do that when you have "rope powers" or whatever his gimmick is.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

K. Waste posted:

I really hope when Slipknot gets red-shirted he at least goes out in a blaze of glory or gets to merc a bunch of guys before being finally put down. But I don't know how you gonna do that when you have "rope powers" or whatever his gimmick is.

I'm guessing he's the guy that tries to slip out of Waller's sight and gets his head exploded.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, those kids were always a little strange. But it didn't compare to the Mudvayne set since they were a local band where I grew up - high schools were waging constant battles with hair spikes and giant earlobes back then. Then it was Tech N9ne. Now who knows - maybe Hot Topic just steers these things nowadays.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

K. Waste posted:

He's going to set up rope-based traps that will make Saw seem tame and die after he breaks a dozen guys' necks just with a rope. They come running, he catches them inna rope and SNAP. Slipknot gonna own.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Grendels Dad posted:

He's going to set up rope-based traps that will make Saw seem tame and die after he breaks a dozen guys' necks just with a rope. They come running, he catches them inna rope and SNAP. Slipknot gonna own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otFW-xb9J1U

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

K. Waste posted:

I hope after he dies, they then run into a series of events where it would be easy to get out of them if they had someone who was an expert with ropes.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/the-flash-kiersey-clemons-female-lead-1201810036/

Kiersey Clemons is the top choice for Flash's female lead.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Codependent Poster posted:

I hope after he dies, they then run into a series of events where it would be easy to get out of them if they had someone who was an expert with ropes.

That's the smart money on this.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

She's so loving pretty drools -

Okay, but, seriously, I hope she gets a more substantial role than the one she got in Dope.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

K. Waste posted:

She's so loving pretty drools -

Okay, but, seriously, I hope she gets a more substantial role than the one she got in Dope.

I've heard mixed reactions on Dope, is it worth checking out?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

wyoming posted:

I really liked it. Sort of a modern day Superfly. It's on Netflix if you wanna give it a go.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Codependent Poster posted:

I desperately need this to happen.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

wyoming posted:

Yes

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I really liked it. Sort of a modern day Superfly.

This is also correct

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Man i forgot how much avengers looks like a tv show instead of a big budget movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Wemus posted:

Man i forgot how much avengers looks like a tv show instead of a big budget movie.

It looks like the whole thing was filmed to be on the cover of Entertainment Weekly.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Anyone who thinks Ropes is a crappy power has never tangled with a true master.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I really like how they've barely shown Suicide Squad's actual villain in any of the marketing. Hopefully that doesn't mean he's underdeveloped in the movie, but I trust Ayers.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

GonSmithe posted:

I really like how they've barely shown Suicide Squad's actual villain in any of the marketing. Hopefully that doesn't mean he's underdeveloped in the movie, but I trust Ayers.

Didn't you hear Harley? They ARe the bad guys!!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GonSmithe posted:

Scott Eastwood's (rumored) character? I think he'd be a cool bad guy for this film.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

wait, jokers not the villain in suicide squad?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Most leaks and interview point to the Enchantress being the villain.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Sorry, should have said antagonist.

It's The Tattooed Man, played by Common

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GonSmithe posted:

Sorry, should have said antagonist.

It's The Tattooed Man, played by Common

Ah, because supposedly Eastwood is either Slade Wilson or Dick Grayson.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

computer parts posted:

Ah, because supposedly Eastwood is either Slade Wilson or Dick Grayson.

I hope he's the former. I can't see him as Dick.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Equeen posted:

I hope he's the former. I can't see him as Dick.

Is his butt not nice enough?

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

The MSJ posted:

Is his butt not nice enough?

I'm sure Eastwood has a nice butt, but (heh) I can't see Dick hanging out with Rick Flag of all characters.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Uncle Wemus posted:

I tried my best to crop it. I like that the defiant old guy takes up the whole left third of the screen, making him appear larger than Loki.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

MonsieurChoc posted:

Anyone who thinks Ropes is a crappy power has never tangled with a true master.

Jolyne's power isn't ropes, its giving literally zero fucks whatsoever. Stone Free is an accessory.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Uncle Wemus posted:

Well of course not; Batman's the villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

If Suicide Squad is true to its roots, everyone's the villain.

• Locked thread