Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Antares posted:

Wasn't that also accompanied by a raft of promised political concessions, and not just Ed and Dave holding hands and agreeing the sky will fall.

no it was probably the holding hands and not the concessions and threats that did it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
it's interesting how a loser and failure like Neil Kinnock (who's only achievements in life are being Thatchers' toilet paper and stopping Tony Benn from reaching his potential) is busy pontificating about 'his party' and how un-electable other people are.

Truly the hero the PLP deserve.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 8, 2016

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

a claim made repeatedly by the Guardian is that Corbyn's refusal to share a platform with Cameron harmed the vote because voters really dig it when politicians do that. I've never seen any evidence that anyone likes it when political opponents link arms.

Might as well make a banner that says "WE'RE ALL THE SAME" and straight up confirm what people say all the time anyway.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Antares posted:

Wasn't that also accompanied by a raft of promised political concessions, and not just Ed and Dave holding hands and agreeing the sky will fall.

Best of which in hindsight was "Scotland you gotta stay, if you leave the UK that means you'll leave the EU :ohdear:"

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

the entire argument re: corbyn and the referendum is based on the traditional labour heartlands voting leave, this contradicts the poll of labour voters voting remain because so many voters in the heartlands were lost over the blair years, some to ukip, many to apathy

ofc losing the heartlands is now corbyn's fault, and the way to win the votes was to campaign with blair, such is the overwhelming power of the "corbyn bad" narrative

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Al-Saqr posted:

it's interesting how a loser and failure like Neil Kinnock (who's only achievements in life are being Thatchers' toilet paper and stopping Tony Benn from reaching his potential) is busy pontificating about 'his party' and how un-electable other people are.

Truly the hero the PLP deserve.

I believe you mean "bald welsh git", or "creiteous buffoon". Seriously bring back Spitting Image.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Crowsbeak posted:

I believe you mean "bald welsh git", or "creiteous buffoon". Seriously bring back Spitting Image.

The Welsh cannot be allowed to rule. So sayeth the Pollythingy

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Regarde Aduck posted:

The Welsh cannot be allowed to rule. So sayeth the Pollythingy

Frankly your best King was Welsh.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Phoon posted:

the entire argument re: corbyn and the referendum is based on the traditional labour heartlands voting leave, this contradicts the poll of labour voters voting remain because so many voters in the heartlands were lost over the blair years, some to ukip, many to apathy

ofc losing the heartlands is now corbyn's fault, and the way to win the votes was to campaign with blair, such is the overwhelming power of the "corbyn bad" narrative

It's not even about losing voters, Labour itself explicitly took positions and ran a campaign based on 'immigration is a problem and we need to control it'. And everyone was aware that being an EU member means you don't get to do that. Ed, gawd bless im, stood up in those debates and told people he wasn't going to offer a referendum because he believed the UK should stay in the EU, and he took a lot of stick for it - including from Labour supporters, because so many people saw leaving as the only solution

So really the Labour position has been 'we need to do something about immigration' but also 'we shouldn't leave the EU', and those are contradictory stances. Labour voters were effectively being asked to choose one or the other, and unsurprisingly a lot of them voted for 'we need to do something'. Most of the Remain campaign seemed like it wanted to ignore this, and just make a simplistic 'EU great! Leaving bad!' argument which nobody bought and which didn't add any significant weight to that side of the immigration/EU split.

Corbyn had to go into that situation and try and walk back the 'immigration is a problem' public and Labour narrative while making a realistic and thoughtful case for EU membership, and try and shift the overall balance. That's a reaaaaaally big expectation, especially with Labour's natural support lying in so many areas and demographics hit hardest by austerity and economic problems. Honestly the fact Labour pulled in a Remain vote so close to the Lib Dems looks like a resounding success to me. Seems a lot of Corbyn's critics are under the impression that people who voted Labour in 2015 would just do whatever the party tells them to

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Crowsbeak posted:

I would certainly hope so.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's great how the whole Westminister bubble and the UK media enthusiastically launched into a "Corbyn has lost the confidence of the PLP and MUST now resign: it's only a matter of time!" only to be thwarted by Corbyn going: "...No." I look forward to Angela Eagle telling us that she'll definitely be standing for the leadership after this weekend; this time she means it, really!

On a more serious note, it's depressing to see how the largest surge into a political party since WW2 has been met by the Proper, Electable politicians with a sign and a roll of the eyes, like its some irritating inconvenience rather than a wonderful validation of Corbyn's politics. I'm quite sure the Blairites would much prefer a shrunken and compliant membership, who stuffs envelopes, delivers leaflets and otherwise keeps their mouths shut to the enormous and vibrant Labour party that they in fact have.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It would be really funny if the massive surge in Labour membership lead to a crushing victory in a GE.

I really do want to see how much difference it actually makes having labour with more members than everyone else combined.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

Why do you love Henry VII?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

It would be really funny if the massive surge in Labour membership lead to a crushing victory in a GE.

I really do want to see how much difference it actually makes having labour with more members than everyone else combined.

Hope is a mistake.

Because gerrymandering and Scotland fucks everything unless Labour are willing to go into coalition with the SNP.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Taear posted:

Why do you love Henry VII?

He was a good king. Put in place the measures that allowed prosperity in the 16th century, the father of the navy. Also had a sensible foreign policy.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The only good king is a dead king

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Unless the increase in membership actually gets out and help, by knocking on doors, phonebanking, etc. Not much, beyond the increased income. And I haven't seen that many of the new members out campaigning (if you get an email about canvassing in your area: go, the people are lovely and friendly and it does make you feel like you're doing something to help.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ Increased income may be enough. One of the biggest stumbling blocks for Labour of late has been the massive purse of the Tories, increased funding could let them compete a bit better.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

An entirely accurate statement, as all our kings are dead.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Can't decide if I prefer French or Russian solutions to royals.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

:cryingjacobites:

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
All kings are lovely, so the best one can only be the one who has the best king named Shakespeare play so our best king was Henry IV but only the first part of his reign.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Jedit posted:

Until the Queen dies.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Zephro posted:

Britain as a whole has an enormous current account deficit, of around 7% of GDP (in fact apparently it's a record and it's never been higher in British history: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35931968). In other words we import far more than we export.

A weaker pound would help that, in theory. But the pound has been falling steadily for the past two years anyway (it was something like $1.70 a couple of years back) and yet we still have a record current account deficit. So I doubt it will be all that different this time round.

That's not actually that valuable a measure with our tertiary/quaternary-based economy - writing and selling iPhone apps and letting Russian oligarchs use London rental property for money laundering have very different effects on the economy than digging up rocks and turning them into steam engines and selling them around the world for gold and silver.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's not actually that valuable a measure with our tertiary/quaternary-based economy - writing and selling iPhone apps and letting Russian oligarchs use London rental property for money laundering have very different effects on the economy than digging up rocks and turning them into steam engines and selling them around the world for gold and silver.
The ONS numbers include services and also income and investments.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
In fact the ONS chart is really striking

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Monarchy is generally pretty bad, but then the idea of republicanism as we think of it would have been hard to achieve then.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I dunno, I don't think I'd mind too much if Liz decided she was in charge again. She'd surely be more compassionate than May or Leadsom.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Jakabite posted:

I dunno, I don't think I'd mind too much if Liz decided she was in charge again. She'd surely be more compassionate than May or Leadsom.

In principle I'm against the monarchy and hereditary positions and stuff. In practice the Lords have been the only ones keeping things remotely sane lately, so I'm not sure I could really oppose giving Brenda a shot.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
It really is staggering just how quickly things are falling apart. It was poo poo before but now it's like we're in some sort of accelerated time line of gently caress. It's a good time to not be in the UK in any case. Hola from Juarez my doomed compatriots.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

nothing to seehere posted:

Unless the increase in membership actually gets out and help, by knocking on doors, phonebanking, etc. Not much, beyond the increased income. And I haven't seen that many of the new members out campaigning (if you get an email about canvassing in your area: go, the people are lovely and friendly and it does make you feel like you're doing something to help.)

This is the problem I have with canvassing: in my local area it owuld mostly be preaching to the converted. How does that actually help?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

thespaceinvader posted:

This is the problem I have with canvassing: in my local area it owuld mostly be preaching to the converted. How does that actually help?

you can volunteer in nearby, non-converted areas

e: at the moment momentum is running phonebanks presumably to tell people that Corbyn is pretty spiffy, you can do that kind of thing as well

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Jakabite posted:

It really is staggering just how quickly things are falling apart. It was poo poo before but now it's like we're in some sort of accelerated time line of gently caress. It's a good time to not be in the UK in any case. Hola from Juarez my doomed compatriots.

yes mexico is definitely better than the uk

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jedit posted:

^^^ Increased income may be enough. One of the biggest stumbling blocks for Labour of late has been the massive purse of the Tories, increased funding could let them compete a bit better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz,_Duke_of_Bavaria :sun:

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Hope is a mistake.

Because gerrymandering and Scotland fucks everything unless Labour are willing to go into coalition with the SNP.

This Gerry Mandering sounds like a right oval office.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Jose posted:

You'll be saying that Colombia isn't better than the UK next, I personally think I will be moving up in the world.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I want him to be King and his dachshund to be Duke of Cambridge.

Jose posted:

Weather's better.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Zephro posted:

The ONS numbers include services and also income and investments.

Yeah but that's what I mean, the current account deficit really doesn't actually tell us much of anything about the health of our economy because the economy itself is so completely different from what it was supposed to measure. With free-floating currencies it's more or less completely irrelevant.

Well unless some loving idiot puts a massive shock into the currency markets by torching the 5th-largest economy in the world just to shut up a couple of swivel-eyed lunatics in his own party and to placate the sort of person that thinks hearing a Slavic language being spoken is a sign of the end times.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

Yea I also don't really feel connected to my local area. But it isn't easy to go and canvas in other places.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I vote for trimetallism. Gold/silver/random rocks based currency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/JGForsyth/status/751445720310353920

uh-oh spaghettioes

• Locked thread