Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The opening starts with an electrocardiogram showing an unnatural heartbeat.

A sheer heart attack. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Condiv posted:

ugh, it's tough to discuss the flashback with anime only viewers when they know you've read the manga. they think i'm spoiling them just because i don't think the flashback featured future josuke

I kinda just stopped reading that thread for the time being because I'm just going to annoy them and vice versa

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The opening starts with an electrocardiogram showing an unnatural heartbeat.

A sheer heart attack. :stare:

it's all gonna be for naught whne they translate sheer heart attack as the strokes due to copyright issues

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

multijoe posted:

Harvest is a great chapter and I respect Shigechi for starring in it.

I know we all love "Let's Go Out for Italian" and "We Found Something Dangerous!" but for my money Shigechi's Harvest is the absolute highest point of part 4.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Amaryllis posted:

Not only that but now manga readers are for some reason also talking about it like it's possible that David will add in a time-travel scene and getting excited about it(???). It works so much better when the flashback dude is just a random stranger with a heart of gold and it would be so dumb for David to change it that I can't believe anyone who's read the whole thing is seriously entertaining the idea.

Looks at list of story changing retcons by david:

Yeah, there's precedent.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Imagine if instead of tying Koichi's shoes for him before he runs away, Kira murders ANOTHER good precious boy, what drama

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

The flashback fan theory must die.

I admit when I read it I asked myself "Was that a random cool guy, or was it Josuke, and is there time travel?" but I wasn't stupid enough to ignore the fact that Josuke has worked hard to look exactly like this guy, and just ASSUME that it was him. And yes, it's way, WAY better that it's not Josuke there, and since there's zero evidence it was ever intended to be him, the theory should absolutely die. All I'm saying is, I get why people who are following only the anime might be thrown by it.

Amaryllis posted:

Not only that but now manga readers are for some reason also talking about it like it's possible that David will add in a time-travel scene and getting excited about it(???). It works so much better when the flashback dude is just a random stranger with a heart of gold and it would be so dumb for David to change it that I can't believe anyone who's read the whole thing is seriously entertaining the idea.

These are literal piles of garbage that somehow gained the ability to use the Internet.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Looks at list of story changing retcons by david:

Yeah, there's precedent.
It's more like people are taking things like "oh they added in the star birthmarks" or "look at how they've added the Morioh Radio sequences and the cameos" and concluding that they're going to change Josuke's back story, too, because those are of the same level, change-wise. Totally. I think the flashback fan theory is my only real Jojo pet peeve.

e: VVVV No, not joking, sadly.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Amaryllis posted:

I hope you're joking, because otherwise it boggles the mind how dumb somebody has to be to unironically believe that the dudes who have so far made a pretty much 100% faithful adaptation will throw in some fanfic this time, unlike all the previous times this stupid idea comes up.

Also new OP owns. Not entirely sold on the song though, but i suspect it'll grow on me.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's not stupid by any means, it's a busted-up dude that just so happens to be drawn exactly like Josuke (earring and all, by the way), in a series that established "time fuckery" as a thing. It's RIDICULOUSLY ambiguous.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Moltrey posted:

Imagine if instead of tying Koichi's shoes for him before he runs away, Kira murders ANOTHER good precious boy, what drama

I wonder if Kira straightens up all of his victims before killing them. That would make him even creepier, honestly.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Dias posted:

I mean

you kinda did

how? they know as much as we do about the flashback

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Schwarzwald posted:

I know we all love "Let's Go Out for Italian" and "We Found Something Dangerous!" but for my money Shigechi's Harvest is the absolute highest point of part 4.

RPS Kid.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Dias posted:

It's not stupid by any means, it's a busted-up dude that just so happens to be drawn exactly like Josuke (earring and all, by the way), in a series that established "time fuckery" as a thing. It's RIDICULOUSLY ambiguous.
This is why anime-only people are exempt from my irritation with the fan theory. It was possible for time fuckery to be behind the flashback, but it's better for not involving it and I feel baffled when I see people wanting it to be changed.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Amaryllis posted:

It's more like people are taking things like "oh they added in the star birthmarks" or "look at how they've added the Morioh Radio sequences and the cameos" and concluding that they're going to change Josuke's back story, too, because those are of the same level, change-wise. Totally. I think the flashback fan theory is my only real Jojo pet peeve.

e: VVVV No, not joking, sadly.

You know how Josuke is totally selfless and would fight to the death for his friends because the kindness of strangers was ingrained in him as a child at deaths door, psych, he was just saving his own rear end.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Amaryllis posted:

This is why anime-only people are exempt from my irritation with the fan theory. It was possible for time fuckery to be behind the flashback, but it's better for not involving it.

Oh, I agree it's better if it's just the ~~golden spirit of morioh~~ and it's impossible to argue it's Ghost Josuke or whatever the gently caress after you've finished it, but I'm still not sure it wasn't a dropped plot point myself, so all these "ugh what a dumb fan theory" derisive posts will never sit well with me.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

You know how Josuke is totally selfless and would fight to the death for his friends because the kindness of strangers was ingrained in him as a child at deaths door, psych, he was just saving his own rear end.

yeah, this and the fact that dude was wearing regular high school student clothing makes me think it can't possibly be josuke.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wonder if Kira straightens up all of his victims before killing them. That would make him even creepier, honestly.
He probably doesn't, he just wants to get his hand girlfriends and leave. But leaving someone with their shoes untied, come on, that's just rude

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Dias posted:

Blame David then, they just made it even more ambiguous.
People who're tuning in for the first time are free to think or speculate whatever they want and I wouldn't want to take that away from them, but nobody who's read the manga should be perpetuating that theory on their own time.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Dias posted:

Oh, I agree it's better if it's just the ~~golden spirit of morioh~~ and it's impossible to argue it's Ghost Josuke or whatever the gently caress after you've finished it, but I'm still not sure it wasn't a dropped plot point myself, so all these "ugh what a dumb fan theory" derisive posts will never sit well with me.
Right, maybe "fan theory" isn't the right way to describe it ("fan wish," maybe?), because I do agree that it feels in context like it could be a plot thread that Araki set up and then dropped. Rightly.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Weird that Kira had his hand fetish since he was a kid, but didn't take Reimi's hand. I guess it's harder to take hands as girlfriends when you can't explode the rest attached to it.

I also always liked we never saw Reimi's wounds despite every other act of violence else in this series, because what Kira did is just that hosed up

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dias posted:

The stupid thing I was referring to is the idea that David will totally include a fan theory this time, which seems to keep popping up even when it hasn't happened any of the previous times and it would be completely uncharacteristic what with David making an extremely faithful adaptation so far.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The fact they made him mute is the final nail in the coffin to me and david only made it clearer that it was Araki's intent to have him be a different person.

If he has no voice or face, he's nobody.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Ok but what if the Mysterious Gangster in Part 5 was really Diavolo all along... really makes u think....

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dias posted:

It's important to view it in the context that it was written.
Time fuckery wasn't a thing at this point. You had The World and Star Platinum. Killer Queen wasn't introduced at this point and it's introduced with a bomb that destroys things entirely. Then Araki decided that it needed another power to remain interesting as an arc villain so it got Sheer Heart Attack, which was solved by Josuke. Bites the Dust is the second power up KQ gets and doesn't work like real time travel.

There's absolutely no reason to believe that Araki was writing Diamond is Unbreakable's villain would have time travel for its final villain at this point and there's no hint of KQ having a time power until the end, which circumstantially leads me to believe Araki came up with it later.

I don't suppose it's readily apparent if Kira even existed in Araki's mind by the end of this fight.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I know I've mentioned this before but there's a hilarious doujin out there where Diavolo survives the universal reset and shows up in SBR only to get killed again (and again, and again). I wish I hadn't lost it.

EDIT: In case anyone thought this post was apropos of nothing, that was in response to Amaryllis.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 8, 2016

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

I feel like in all this fuss about the flashback I didn't mention that I loved seeing Rohan get punched in the face repeatedly, as he deserved. I love that rear end in a top hat and I can't wait for him to let his house burn down out of spite.

Also the song in the new OP is just okay, but I love all the spoilery details, and I thought the scene with Shigechi feeding the pigeons was especially cute. Poor kid. The chapters in which he's involved are some of the best in all of DiU, too.

Amaryllis fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 8, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
If you want the guy in the flashback to actually just be Josuke via time travel you missed the entire point of Part 4's themes and are wrong and a butt.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

The stupid thing I was referring to is the idea that David will totally include a fan theory this time, which seems to keep popping up even when it hasn't happened any of the previous times and it would be completely uncharacteristic what with David making an extremely faithful adaptation so far.

Like, if they're even keeping Rohan as getting his stand via arrow and not natural skill, which is iirc the Rohan at the Louvre retcon and arguably fits his character better, I don't see how anyone could think they would deviate to something so blatantly non-canon and poo poo.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Raserys posted:

I predict a third OP after Sheer Heart Attack, or maybe Atom Heart Father

Well, nothing from past Atom Heart Father is in this OP, so it'd make sense.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

The fact they made him mute is the final nail in the coffin to me and david only made it clearer that it was Araki's intent to have him be a different person.

If he has no voice or face, he's nobody.

On the other hand, someone watching right now might go: "huh, they didn't give the Josuke looking guy a voice. Wonder if this is setting up something". Like, both interpretations make sense, which is my entire point w/r/t the stupid theory and all.

It's important to view it in the context that it was written.
Time fuckery wasn't a thing at this point. You had The World and Star Platinum. Killer Queen wasn't introduced at this point and it's introduced with a bomb that destroys things entirely. Then Araki decided that it needed another power to remain interesting as an arc villain so it got Sheer Heart Attack, which was solved by Josuke. Bites the Dust is the second power up KQ gets and doesn't work like real time travel.

There's absolutely no reason to believe that Araki was writing Diamond is Unbreakable's villain would have time travel for its final villain at this point and there's no hint of KQ having a time power until the end, which circumstantially leads me to believe Araki came up with it later.

I don't suppose it's readily apparent if Kira even existed in Araki's mind by the end of this fight.

Well, the main villain of the last part and still somewhat relevant figure had time powers and now the protagonist of the last part and stil somewhat relevant figure has time powers so I mean, it had been established ENOUGH. Sure, it's not a thing yet, but the fact that those powers existed and were very relevant does make time travel plausible. Especially when you consider Crazy Diamond's power is basically to REWIND stuff. So, same point above stands (heh).

Basically, I agree that it would be dumb and people saying it should have happened that way are dumb, but I think wondering if it'll be that way isn't. Also, wondering if it was supposed to be that way, since as you yourself said, who the gently caress knows what Araki was planning at that point. I asked this last time this topic came up but we don't have outright Word of God on this, right?

anyway my fan theory is that kuwabara stepped thru a dimensional portal and ended up saving josuke

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Some people bring in magazine covers of celebrities to the barber to get their hair styled like them, but no one's ever claimed I'm Daniel Radcliffe.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Waffleman_ posted:

Some people bring in magazine covers of celebrities to the barber to get their hair styled like them, but no one's ever claimed I'm Daniel Radcliffe.

My favorite ice cream flavor is pistachio, as long as we're doing non-sequiturs.

I feel like Koichi's is vanilla, Okuyasu probably likes chocolate chip or rocky road and Josuke is a strawberry guy. Rohan probably agrees with me, or thinks ice cream is too plebeian.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Moltrey posted:

Weird that Kira had his hand fetish since he was a kid, but didn't take Reimi's hand. I guess it's harder to take hands as girlfriends when you can't explode the rest attached to it.

I also always liked we never saw Reimi's wounds despite every other act of violence else in this series, because what Kira did is just that hosed up

I want to say this is addressed at some point, although I can't quite remember where. I think the deal was that Reimi was his first kill, and he didn't really know what he was doing at the time.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't believe there's any reason to believe it's established at all until Kira gets his time power. Something's only a trend once it happens twice and I certainly didn't read DiU in publication and I knew about Kira/Time Stands being a thing so I went in unpure in knowledge so I can't use my own experience to judge whether or not I'd be assuming the villain gets a time power by this point of DiU witout knowing. It's a safe guess in VA, imo. It's not in DiU imo.

Time powers weren't even relevant either, Star Platinum had used The World once in DiU up until Ratt.

We don't have a word of God, no, but I would consider the fact that david obviously had Yuki Ono in the studio to record Josuke's lines and still chose a silent helper and the fact that they can certainly talk to Araki to get clarification on things they need would be as close to word of God as it comes. If it were Yuki Ono who said these lines, it'd be pretty sealed by that point, but they pointedly chose not to.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Dias posted:

My favorite ice cream flavor is pistachio, as long as we're doing non-sequiturs.

I feel like Koichi's is vanilla, Okuyasu probably likes chocolate chip or rocky road and Josuke is a strawberry guy. Rohan probably agrees with me, or thinks ice cream is too plebeian.
Okuyasu's is strawberry chocolate chip! It's canon.

Love how they set up Kira in the OP as [ MENACING] as all hell, but in his proper introduction chapters he 1) violates a sandwich and 2) hides under a vaulting horse in a middle school gym

If it were Yuki Ono who said these lines, it'd be pretty sealed by that point, but they pointedly chose not to.
should have been Yuki Ono with his voice artificially pitched down like with Kiefer Sutherland in Ground Zeroes imo

standard owl fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 8, 2016

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
hate the new opening and hate the time travel theory

good episode though

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dias posted:

I was making the point that it's weird to think that somebody modeling their appearance after a person makes them both the same person using real world examples.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I can't wait for I Am an Alien to air, not only because Mikitaka is the best but for the arguments over whether he's an alien or not in the anime thread :allears:

Personally, I believe he's an alien stand user.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Already seeing people referring to the mysterious delinquent rescuing them as a "plot hole".

Kill me.