Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mikitaka is Kars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Seeing as how the asteroid from which Stand arrows are derived is from space, and Mikitaka is also from space, we can conclude that Mikitaka's people have been harnessing the power of Stand-producing celestial bodies to give themselves Stands, furthermore,

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Josuke Higashikata posted:

We don't have a word of God, no, but I would consider the fact that david obviously had Yuki Ono in the studio to record Josuke's lines and still chose a silent helper and the fact that they can certainly talk to Araki to get clarification on things they need would be as close to word of God as it comes. If it were Yuki Ono who said these lines, it'd be pretty sealed by that point, but they pointedly chose not to.

Not really, we know it's not supposed to be Josuke by the END of DiU, I'm arguing if by that point in writing it might've been a thing. Even then, David chose to keep the ambiguity because they could've also picked a random VA to record those lines instead of Josuke's and there you go, definitely not Josuke.

But this'll go on for a while if we keep on the topic, I assume. We're both almost in the same page, I just think the intention at the time of writing is not super clear.

Waffleman_ posted:

I was making the point that it's weird to think that somebody modeling their appearance after a person makes them both the same person using real world examples.

I mean, if you show up at the barber shop with the exact same facial features as Daniel Radcliffe and asks him for a Daniel Radcliffe haircut then it makes more sense.

standard owl posted:

Okuyasu's is strawberry chocolate chip! It's canon.

I knew something like that was mentioned once! Makes sense, I was thinking crunchy but sweet.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Dias posted:

My favorite ice cream flavor is pistachio, as long as we're doing non-sequiturs.

I feel like Koichi's is vanilla, Okuyasu probably likes chocolate chip or rocky road and Josuke is a strawberry guy. Rohan probably agrees with me, or thinks ice cream is too plebeian.

Josuke likes neapolitan best for how well the flavors get along , Okuyasu eats rum raisin since he thinks the rum makes him seem tough, and Koichi likes green tea because it's green. Rohan eats a different flavor every time to experience something new, but prefers gelato, since Italy is :perfect:. Just like him.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 8, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Araki: See Josuke modeled his entire life and look off this single good deed done by a random townie who he never saw again and the moral of Part 4 is that it's cool and good to help your friends and add to your community.

Idiots: Wow, Josuke looks a lot like his memory of the guy he modeled himself off of...COULD THAT HAVE BEEN JOSUKE?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Given how the guy in the flashback was drawn identically to Josuke, the most likely scenario is it was intended for Josuke to go back in time but it was a dropped plot point. See also all the other dropped plotpoints throughout JJBA because Araki changed his mind before he got to the end.

It's not surprising that people expect it to be Josuke if you go by Chekhov's Gun.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

standard owl posted:

Okuyasu's is strawberry chocolate chip! It's canon.
Was getting ready to post this until I scrolled down, learn the loving lore y'all

Schwarzwald posted:

I want to say this is addressed at some point, although I can't quite remember where. I think the deal was that Reimi was his first kill, and he didn't really know what he was doing at the time.
I never remember if Reimi is established as his first, but yeah Kira has been killing ever since he was a teenager and his dad would help him cover his tracks. I'm too lazy to do the math, but Kira and Reimi might even be around the same age when he killed her.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

hoobajoo posted:

Josuke likes neapolitan best for how well the flavors get along , Okuyasu eats rum raisin since he thinks the rum makes him seem tough, and Koichi likes green tea because it's green. Rohan eats a different flavor every time, but prefers gelato, since Italy is :perfect:. Just like him.

Yukako likes whatever Koichi likes, as long as it's coffee-flavored because coffee is for a distinguished gentleman and how dare you say you'd rather have vanilla i'll not have my perfect man eat this babby ice-cream flavor

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!

Dias posted:

I knew something like that was mentioned once! Makes sense, I was thinking crunchy but sweet.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

standard owl posted:

Seeing as how the asteroid from which Stand arrows are derived is from space, and Mikitaka is also from space, we can conclude that Mikitaka's people have been harnessing the power of Stand-producing celestial bodies to give themselves Stands, furthermore,

Jesus Christ ascended into Heaven upon his resurrection (i.e. space) whereupon his 「Corpse」 became a celestial body, granting Stands to aliens and forming the material for the Arrows

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Moltrey posted:

I never remember if Reimi is established as his first, but yeah Kira has been killing ever since he was a teenager and his dad would help him cover his tracks. I'm too lazy to do the math, but Kira and Reimi might even be around the same age when he killed her.

Reimi was killed 16 years ago when she was age 16, and Kira is currently 33 or 34? They probably went to high school together :ohdear:

also the first line of Sheer Heart Attack is "well you're just 17 and all you want to do is disappear"

standard owl fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 8, 2016

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Dias posted:

Yukako likes whatever Koichi likes, as long as it's coffee-flavored because coffee is for a distinguished gentleman and how dare you say you'd rather have vanilla i'll not have my perfect man eat this babby ice-cream flavor

[G O O D !] Though Jotaro always gets vanilla, because it's a hassle to have a place not have your flavor, and everywhere has vanilla. Plus, vanilla is simple but very good, and has an understated depth to it, just like 'taro.

Oku, ice cream for breakfast every day? Really? Those other good boys at school should set a better example.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah I just did this math and Reimi died when she was 16 in 1983, Kira's 33 and it's 1999 in Morioh so Kira was 17 at the time and it's very possible they had knowledge of each other before Kira just killed her family. It seems weird now that Kira would kill her family and her dog, but apparently he did and eh, serial killers are weird

standard owl posted:

also the first line of Sheer Heart Attack is "when you're just 17 and all you want to do is disappear"
lmao, u crazy 4 dis 1 araki

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 8, 2016

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

Some people bring in magazine covers of celebrities to the barber to get their hair styled like them, but no one's ever claimed I'm Daniel Radcliffe.

Nice try, 'arry

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

hoobajoo posted:

[G O O D !] Though Jotaro always gets vanilla, because it's a hassle to have a place not have your flavor, and everywhere has vanilla. Plus, vanilla is simple but very good, and has an understated depth to it, just like 'taro.

I feel like Jotaro's favorite would be sea-salt, although I suppose ice cream already comes from the sea in a sense.

Also I mentioned in the anime thread a while ago I was hyped for a couple of episodes in DiU and would do my best to not say poo poo about them there...and one of them is Mikitaka's dice bullshit. The other one is the best fight in all of Jojo, RPS KID.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

hoobajoo posted:

Oku, ice cream for breakfast every day? Really? Those other good boys at school should set a better example.
Oku's gotta cook for himself now that it's just him and his dad. Of course he's going to go out and eat garbage for breakfast instead of being late for school. :smith:

I don't have a lot of thoughts about most characters in this series beyond what we see of them, but I really like to imagine that Okuyasu became a chef after being inspired by Tonio.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Nice try, 'arry

I swear to you I did not make the fart corpse movie.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Dias posted:

I feel like Jotaro's favorite would be sea-salt, although I suppose ice cream already comes from the sea in a sense.

Also I mentioned in the anime thread a while ago I was hyped for a couple of episodes in DiU and would do my best to not say poo poo about them there...and one of them is Mikitaka's dice bullshit. The other one is the best fight in all of Jojo, RPS KID.

I've never seen sea salt ice cream, but that sounds really good.

Amaryllis posted:

Oku's gotta cook for himself now that it's just him and his dad. Of course he's going to go out and eat garbage for breakfast instead of being late for school. :smith:

I don't have a lot of thoughts about most characters in this series beyond what we see of them, but I really like to imagine that Okuyasu became a chef after being inspired by Tonio.

I don't know about the chef, but I definitely could see Oku as a waiter, and vividly describing the food to a customer.

My post-DiU headcanon is Josuke becomes a therapist, to help fix the things Crazy Diamond can't.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CJ posted:

Given how the guy in the flashback was drawn identically to Josuke

the same chapter.
I don't need to explain why the pomp is the same while literally everything else identifiable about him is different, right?
like they're different outfits, how much harder does he need to say "DIFFERENT"?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
it's literally the same face and body type, dude

C'mon, don't say it's COMPLETELY DIFFERENT when the only actual difference is the clothing, might as well take the "it looks like josuke because josuke doesn't remember him too well so he envisions himself as kuwabara-man" line. It's a neater explanation and isn't instantly denied by people having two working eyeballs.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Sometimes it feels like the people who love the time-travel theory about the Mysterious Stranger or who go on and on about "plot holes" in JJBA or other comics don't understand that it's super common for long-term serial fiction writers/artists to drop interesting things in from episode to episode without necessarily having to (or even intending to) follow up on them. Not doing this follow-up doesn't turn those threads into "plot holes." It's a hole if something about the story doesn't make sense, or is inconsistent or illogical, when that detail has no follow-up (and granted, this series does have those); otherwise it's just something interesting that didn't become anything but which could be explored, e.g., in a spinoff. Or in your imagination. (Adding to the list of things I want to do someday, someone help me write a Shizuka Joestar spinoff...)

hoobajoo posted:

My post-DiU headcanon is Josuke becomes a therapist, to help fix the things Crazy Diamond can't.
I like the idea that he becomes a paramedic so that he can just punch as many people back to health as possible (and then have to answer all sorts of horrified questions from witnesses, I guess), but this is cute too.

Amaryllis fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 8, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'll send more overly detailed ideas to your tumblr about the shizuka spinoff sometimes maybeeee

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'll send more overly detailed ideas to your tumblr about the shizuka spinoff sometimes maybeeee
Do it, man. I'm shamefully bad at getting to people's ideas but yours are always fun and I'm running out of plans of my own.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Speaking of tumblr fancomics, does anyone have the one of Joseph's actual funeral and Tomoko crashes it? It had "all the feels", as the youth say.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, it's not a plot hole by any means, it's a hook that didn't get used at most. As I said, you could easily go back and explain it as "it was always a random guy, and he was depicted as someone stupid similar to Josuke because that's who Josuke wanted to become".

Also, yeah, it's sweet that he adopted the "delinquent" look because of a good guy. :3:

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I have a bunch of words I want to tack onto what amaryllis said because I literally write a serialized thing for a living so there's an element of the flashback argument that is especially grating, but I'm lazy so I'll probably forget to do so once I'm back on a computer again.

Ultimately don't you think Tomoko would notice more if the boy looked familiar, given the fact that josuke most certainly looks like his father and grandfather in many respects

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Amaryllis posted:

Do it, man. I'm shamefully bad at getting to people's ideas but yours are always fun and I'm running out of plans of my own.

I'll think on it

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

hoobajoo posted:

Speaking of tumblr fancomics, does anyone have the one of Joseph's actual funeral and Tomoko crashes it? It had "all the feels", as the youth say.
It's a millionfish comic and I am looking for it now, but in the meantime please take this:

(Source)

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I have a bunch of words I want to tack onto what amaryllis said because I literally write a serialized thing for a living so there's an element of the flashback argument that is especially grating, but I'm lazy so I'll probably forget to do so once I'm back on a computer again.

Ultimately don't you think Tomoko would notice more if the boy looked familiar, given the fact that josuke most certainly looks like his father and grandfather in many respects

Not really, since she stayed in the car and probably wasn't paying much attention to whether the 16 year old helping her had a passing resemblance to a 60 year old white guy she banged 5 years ago given her son was dying.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
also you just write shizuka like that forget-me-not "invisible" x-men character that showed up in a couple of comics: solves a bunch of problems but no one ever notices because of their powers.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I find that would be easier to "justify", honestly. It was decades ago, it was during a blizzard so impaired visibility, Josuke could've made an effort to conceal his face...plus it's not an uncommon plot beat in time-travel stories.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Amaryllis posted:

It's a millionfish comic and I am looking for it now, but in the meantime please take this:

(Source)

What, Josuke? Can't recognize your own grandma? No dignity.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
PSA: Eyes of Heaven censored Limp Bizkit into Flaccid Pancake.

This has nothing to do with anything, but I just wanted to mention it. :allears:

hoobajoo posted:

How do you think he got cavities on his teeth?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I hope Crunchy/Viz change all Part 6 names to Flaccid Pancake tbth.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Okay, hoobajoo, I think this is the funeral comic you were talking about :

(x)

TBH my favourite ones of theirs are all the joke-y ones but this one's alright.

Amaryllis fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 8, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jotaro would definitely mangle the poo poo out of some formal hat for a funeral.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Giorno, come to your nephew's funeral.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

standard owl posted:

Reimi was killed 16 years ago when she was age 16, and Kira is currently 33 or 34? They probably went to high school together :ohdear:

Did anyone ever wonder what Hazamada would be like if he was actually willing to act on his impulses toward that girl he liked?

Well, here you go.

hoobajoo posted:

As someone who's gone through high school while living with his single father, ice cream for breakfast is very understandable.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 8, 2016

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Amaryllis posted:

(x)

Thanks a lot, that's exactly the one.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Amaryllis posted:

(x)

I want to kill the author for ever bringing a comic brimming with so much fail into existence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Well, I'm like 85% sure they've posted in here before so take it up with them.

Schwarzwald posted:

Did anyone ever wonder what Hazamada would be like if he was actually willing to act on his impulses toward that girl he liked?
Well, here you go.
It's prob because Kira is a more fleshed out character and probably has a mental illness while Hazamada remains very one dimensional and lame, but I find Kira to be a much more sympathetic and "cool" for lack of a better word, I am actually rooting for Kira at multiple points, while Hazamada is just lovely and sucks.

Hazamada lacks any Charisma

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 8, 2016