Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

My closest gym has a level 966 Pokémon guarding it. What the gently caress.

Gitgud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

lokipunk posted:

I was unclear. I mean I see people lvl 9 with 600+ and my highest is 400something.

Yeah, you need to be a higher level to increase your pokemon to a higher CP. at level 7 the highest they could go was around 450, afterwards I was able to stardust him another time.

Or you could just be a lucksack and CATCH one that high once you're level 9.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I want to play Pokémon GO! too. What's the worst that can happen?

http://county10.com/201021174044426240

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Pakled posted:

I saw a three-pawprint Rhyhorn silhouette in the nearby list from home, but no matter what direction I went in, it just went further down the list and eventually dropped off of it and never appeared again, even when I went back to where I'd seen it on the list before. :smith:

There's a memorial park near me where Dragonair and Scyther keep popping up on the nearby list but this happens every single time no matter which direction you walk in.

It owns because the game is so opaque that I legitimately can't tell what's a bug/lag/error and what's working as intended.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Star Man posted:

A photographer for a small town news outlet will ask you stare at a fence looking forlorn while they take your photo.

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?
Can I replace my Pokemon in a gym with a better one? All of mine were hurt when I got the gym so I had to throw in like a level 120 Rattata and I'd rather throw one of my 500+ people in there now.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Licarn posted:

A photographer for a small town news outlet will ask you stare at a fence looking forlorn while they take your photo.

It's a small town news outlet, but it's my small town news outlet.

Seriously though, drat. Here's the follow-up from Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/teen-plays-pokemon-go-outside-finds-dead-body-1783369790?utm_medium=sharefromsite&utm_source=Kotaku_facebook

Kotaku posted:

UPDATE 7:18 PM: Speaking to Kotaku, Shayla says that she did not capture the water Pokemon that she was after, because she stopped playing to call the police. “[The police] didn’t really know what [Pokemon Go] was. They’re were just like ‘okay,’” Shayla said. “I was like, extremely scared, I didn’t know what to do…I was shaking and crying,” Shayla said. While she feels better now, Shayla says that she hasn’t gotten a chance to play much more of Pokémon Go.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

TVs Ian posted:

Well, the game hasn't killed anybody yet, but it did turn up a dead body.

Star Man posted:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

quote:

Shayla says that she hasn’t gotten a chance to play much more of Pokémon Go because the servers haven't come back up yet.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

I posted the source article :colbert:

And I'm probably related to or know one of the sheriff's deputies that investigated it. I'm from a weird place.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Kheldarn posted:

Play Store claims this doesn't work with my Nexus 7 (2013). I sideloaded it, and it works just fine, including Battery Saver and AR mode.

Cool. I've a Nexus 7 (2012) but hadn't tried to sideload it since everyone says the game needs 2GB RAM to run and my Nexus 7 has 1GB. If I can get it to run on my tablet I'll be taking that into work on Monday. The game is such a battery hog that my phone was almost drained by lunchtime today.

I'm idling at home right now with my phone charging and the battery has gone up maybe 3% in the last 5 hours. And this is on a brand new phone that charged from almost 0% to 100% in less than an hour before installing the pokeymons.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

About to go out and place a Lure module on the pokestop next to the bar.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Star Man posted:

The very first one is the exact same one you posted.

It just stood out to me that it was posted 3 times in the thread, because this thread is moving so damned fast, people have missed it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

:lol: trying to catch my first red pokemon wasted 45 balls and the game froze again. The ball throwing mechanic is loving garbage and clearly designed to make you waste throws and spend money. I moved my finger exactly the same every time and half the throws would fall short, veer off to the side, or just drop. The ones that did land would fail after a tick or two. Uninstalled this pos. Enjoy.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Just caught a Ponyta cp 129 and a Rapidash cp 82.

Wtf

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Star Man posted:

And I'm probably related to or know one of the sheriff's deputies that investigated it. I'm from a weird place.

My brother moved out there a few years ago, so both he and my mom who lives nearby sent me that link this morning.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Kheldarn posted:

The very first one is the exact same one you posted.

It just stood out to me that it was posted 3 times in the thread, because this thread is moving so damned fast, people have missed it.

It's what my hometown is good for: dead bodies and D-list horror movie stars.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

So when you've captured a pokemon and it disappears in a puff of grey smoke and you get dumped back on the world map with no exp, is that a feature? Happened to me earlier today with a Haunter and just now with a Pidgeotto.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

So when you've captured a pokemon and it disappears in a puff of grey smoke and you get dumped back on the world map with no exp, is that a feature? Happened to me earlier today with a Haunter and just now with a Pidgeotto.

i don't think you captured them friend

Mokhu
Mar 3, 2004

NCAA Hopesman Winner 2008
Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

:lol: trying to catch my first red pokemon wasted 45 balls and the game froze again. The ball throwing mechanic is loving garbage and clearly designed to make you waste throws and spend money. I moved my finger exactly the same every time and half the throws would fall short, veer off to the side, or just drop. The ones that did land would fail after a tick or two. Uninstalled this pos. Enjoy.

You know you have to tap and hold the ball until the green circle around the pokemon gets small right? Took a while to figure that out and wasted a lot of pokeballs till I learned that.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I wasted probably 30 pokeballs on the first zubat I found, but practice makes perfect and I can usually get a pokemon on the first throw now. I can usually even do it while riding a bike, which is dangerous buy very efficient.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TVs Ian posted:

My brother moved out there a few years ago, so both he and my mom who lives nearby sent me that link this morning.

Most people would make fun for living in Wyoming, but I'm moving back in December because it turns out that it's cheap to live there.

Anyway, uh, I guess I'll try this game once the servers are stable and watch it drain my battery in five minutes like Miimoto does.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Sorry bud, it ran away

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

oddium posted:

i don't think you captured them friend

It sure seemed like I did, but I guess maybe it's some kind of "pokemon fled" thing. If so, that's cool. I'd just appreciate the game explaining to me why I suddenly get dumped back on the world map with no exp, no new mons, and down several pokeballs.

edit:

HighwireAct posted:

Sorry bud, it ran away

That's p much what I figured. I didn't play much of the original Pokemon games. Is this something I'm supposed to be familiar with from 10-year old games, or is it just really poorly explained in this game?

Clyde Radcliffe fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 9, 2016

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

It sure seemed like I did, but I guess maybe it's some kind of "pokemon fled" thing. If so, that's cool. I'd just appreciate the game explaining to me why I suddenly get dumped back on the world map with no exp, no new mons, and down several pokeballs.

Did the ball snap shut with stars around it and the text "gotcha" appear? If not, you didn't catch them and they just ran away. Some pokemon (particularly, I've noticed, rare and powerful ones) run away if you don't catch them quickly enough.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Are people actually not able to catch a Pokemon after one or two tries? I literally have been catching them one-handed while riding my bike past the patch of grass without stopping how did you manage to waste 40+ balls on a single Pokemon

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?

Nephzinho posted:

About to go out and place a Lure module on the pokestop next to the bar.

Also totally doing this.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Are people actually not able to catch a Pokemon after one or two tries? I literally have been catching them one-handed while riding my bike past the patch of grass without stopping how did you manage to waste 40+ balls on a single Pokemon

I've not wasted 40 balls on a single Pokemon but I had one battle with a Pidgeotto where I was capturing it on every throw but it kept breaking out of the Pokeball. This was when I was at a level where I wasn't getting Razz Berries as rewards. I wasted 20 balls on that mofo and maybe only 3 of them missed. The rest of the time he broke out. I gave up and went back to catching spearows.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Lure module and incense is good.

Evolving a geodude then sornding 30 balls catching a graveller is a waste.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Loser_Rex posted:

Also totally doing this.

I saw someone a few blocks over place lure modules on two pokestops on the same block. Don't think there is a bar there, must just be really really lucky. My desk is JUST out of range of 3 - no couch stop for me.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
heres my roster

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Anything to do for a 1hp bugged gym? Let it just sit there? Close app and start another battle?

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
When it's bugged it's probably bugged for your device for a while. I'd say hard reset and leave it alone. When it did that to me and I tried to fight it again, it wouldn't even start the battle for me.

That said, the gym battles seem to be running smoothly today after the first half of the day's server downtime. You could keep trying your luck.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Battery dying caught a mystery cp magneton. Good poo poo. Good luck pokegoons.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

inferis posted:

So I just hit level 5. Is it worth it to fight at gyms way stronger than me? Should I get my Pokemon trained up first?

Depends how strong. A couple 100s should take down a 200 unless the types are mismatched. A 300 will crush a 100 in a few seconds before you can get a heavy attack in though.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I thought the same until I got past level 5 and you start seeing yellow/red catch-circles and it does take a few balls to get em. That, and Zubats are a bitch.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

Athanatos posted:

Anything to do for a 1hp bugged gym? Let it just sit there? Close app and start another battle?

I had this happen to me repeatedly today; not even restarting the app fixed it. Maybe try powering your phone off and on?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I'm level 6 and I feel like I keep seeing lovely level 10-60 Pokemon everywhere, and on a rare occasion, get one around 100. Am I too low level? I see people with 400+ at 7 though so I shouldn't be far off...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Go power up your pokemon, that adds like 20-30 to their stat each time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Try catching a red one in the "far" distance with no berries. The balls flail everywhere no matter how accurately you throw, the pokemon does a juke frequently which will whiff your throw, and they break out of the balls at a high percentage even when you land it. And that's even counting the bonuses you get for "nice" "great" and "excellent" throws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
Ever since I was introduced to this poo poo yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCt0mfue8ao

• Locked thread