Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It doesn't count steps if you're going faster than 20km/h.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xzzy posted:

As concerned with safety as Nintendo is, you'd think that while they're using the gps they'd interpolate how fast the user is moving and disable the app if it looks like they're in a car.

I'd imagine a lot of their players will be kids who would like to play while they get driven around/ride the bus/whatever.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

wolrah posted:

I'd imagine a lot of their players will be kids who would like to play while they get driven around/ride the bus/whatever.

tbh i wouldnt want to seen in public searching for pokemon with my phone so im sure most adults playing this are prob doing it inside their car out of shame...

regardless i still hope that when they finally crash that they wake up in a hospital bed and realize that one of their limbs is no longer there because i have no pity for these ppl at all

...oh and if such a person is caught by the police prior to this happening they are still only facing the possibility of a $100 moving violation here in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts

:fuckoff:

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 9, 2016

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Raluek posted:

Are you implying that any of that poo poo is tested by the driver's license test? Maybe size, in that you have to sort of know where the right side of the vehicle is, but certainly not the others.

Any driving test I've taken involves even basic maneuvering, parking, 3-point turns, poo poo like that. Maybe better wording is "force them to take the driving test to actually get used to how the car handles" because almost nobody does that right now, outside possibly test driving at a dealership. Then again, the whole driving/written testing system needs a serious overhaul because consistency sure as hell isn't common everywhere.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

xzzy posted:

As concerned with safety as Nintendo is, you'd think that while they're using the gps they'd interpolate how fast the user is moving and disable the app if it looks like they're in a car.

Except that would mean kids adults riding in cars couldn't play.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Any driving test I've taken involves even basic maneuvering, parking, 3-point turns, poo poo like that. Maybe better wording is "force them to take the driving test to actually get used to how the car handles" because almost nobody does that right now, outside possibly test driving at a dealership. Then again, the whole driving/written testing system needs a serious overhaul because consistency sure as hell isn't common everywhere.

What would such a test accomplish that just driving home after buying the car wouldn't? Or should they have to take the test in each car they're considering buying before they buy it, somehow?

Also, I don't think even 3-point turns are tested. From what I recall of my driving test, I left the DMV, drove around the residential neighborhoods nearby, had to stop along the curb without hitting it and reverse for like 20 feet, then I drove back to the DMV. Wouldn't just a regular test drive fill the same purpose? Certainly the first time they take it out after buying it would prepare them as adequately as a DMV road test.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

What sort of brain defect leads to adults doing this, out of curiosity? Is it heavy metal poisoning, physical trauma, or what?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PT6A posted:

What sort of brain defect leads to adults doing this, out of curiosity? Is it heavy metal poisoning, physical trauma, or what?

That's an Arizona plate, so I'm going with heat stroke.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Atticus_1354 posted:

Except that would mean kids adults riding in cars couldn't play.

Don't see a problem with that, because the other developing issue with the game is people slamming on the brakes and pulling over. This game and cars just seems like an idiotic combination that everyone is gonna regret.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
You don't need to add cars to make this thing idiotic.

If you're playing this and you're old enough to buy a beer, you should probably just off yourself.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Raluek posted:

What would such a test accomplish that just driving home after buying the car wouldn't? Or should they have to take the test in each car they're considering buying before they buy it, somehow?

Also, I don't think even 3-point turns are tested. From what I recall of my driving test, I left the DMV, drove around the residential neighborhoods nearby, had to stop along the curb without hitting it and reverse for like 20 feet, then I drove back to the DMV. Wouldn't just a regular test drive fill the same purpose? Certainly the first time they take it out after buying it would prepare them as adequately as a DMV road test.

:stare: How long are driving tests in the USA? Mine was 45 minutes (germany) and it certainly included City and Autobahn. I mean you do have to take another drivers test if you want to be allowed to tow a heavy trailer. You're only allowed to tow roughly 750 kg (~1500 lbs) trailer (depends on car) without the added license.
Though there are still people who forget everything they learned, once they manage to get their license (on the third or fourth try).

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Tank Boy Ken posted:

:stare: How long are driving tests in the USA? Mine was 45 minutes (germany) and it certainly included City and Autobahn. I mean you do have to take another drivers test if you want to be allowed to tow a heavy trailer. You're only allowed to tow roughly 750 kg (~1500 lbs) trailer (depends on car) without the added license.
Though there are still people who forget everything they learned, once they manage to get their license (on the third or fourth try).

Not to mention that I imagine that trailers have license plates and require regular inspections just like they do here in Sweden. No improvised hog grill trailers here, thank you very much.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

Not to mention that I imagine that trailers have license plates and require regular inspections just like they do here in Sweden. No improvised hog grill trailers here, thank you very much.

Almost everywhere in north america, for a trailer you built yourself, there is a one time inspection followed by a permanent trailer plate with no expiry.

My driving test was less than 10 minutes, and involved about 4 roads. my sister just got her license and it was a little longer, but not much. You can also pass your driving test in an automatic prius and then get behind the wheel of any one of these.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Holy poo poo. Would would be the gross weight on those three setups, roughly?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bolind posted:

Holy poo poo. Would would be the gross weight on those three setups, roughly?

20,000lbs/9071kg
54,000lbs/24493kg
26,000lbs/11793kg

For hauling cargo in the US, over 26,000lbs you need a commercial drivers license, but there' is an exemption almost everywhere for RVs.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I'm okay with people driving large vehicles like RVs and triple axle trailers. What I won't excuse are those vehicles lumbering down the passing lane at 75+

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, this compares to our (poo poo) rules that limit you to 7700lbs plus a rather convoluted allowance for what you can tow.

Used to be 16500lbs and nothing specific about towing limits other than that, but it was changed in the late 90s. Alignment with rules across the EU, I believe (and no, I very much doubt us leaving the EU would result in it being reverted).

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Powershift posted:

20,000lbs/9071kg
54,000lbs/24493kg
26,000lbs/11793kg

For hauling cargo in the US, over 26,000lbs you need a commercial drivers license, but there' is an exemption almost everywhere for RVs.

For comparison, ancient Triremes (ramming ships) minus their crew weighed around 60,000 lbs. Think about that the next time you see a geriatric driving a Prevost in the general direction of your Miata.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I have seen dusty old farts driving down the left lane at 63mph weaving around in their lane before... in RVs that big.

The moves people were pulling to get around them were nothing short of horrifying.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Powershift posted:

You can also pass your driving test in an automatic prius and then get behind the wheel of any one of these.

In IL, you can take a written multiple choice test and ride one of these legally on a "training permit" for like 60 days with zero training.

You can pass a riding test on a 125 cc dirt bike and ride one of those legally forever.

Edit: No helmet laws in the state, either!

Uthor fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 9, 2016

evilcat
May 16, 2009

Tank Boy Ken posted:

It depends on the area, the person conducting the test, the time of the day and who knows what else. My first one was decently long and was in the afternoon, the second was a lot shorter and was first thing in the morning.
At least in my case, the people try to trip you up with n obscure law you don't think applies. For me, they got me on bike lane merging before a turn. Failed to signal a merge to the bike lane, failed to merge into the bike lane, and failed to check the bike lane before merging.

There wasn't a bike lane on the street.
Pretty much the driving test in my area is up to whoever is conducting it and has no set route so what someone gets tested on is pretty much up to the DMV employee and how much they like you or what they think is most important to know, be it highway driving or merging and turning or how long to pause at a light to be sure nobody ran the red light.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I took my driving test in 2001, it basically consisted of driving on surface streets (25-35 MPH) for less than 10 minutes, and then passing a "maneuverability" test:

The test is basically "can you stay in your lane while obeying the speed limit, stop signs/traffic signals and yield to traffic/follow at a safe distance and use your turn signals for a short period" and show the ability to drive in both directions at low speed around obstacles without hitting anything.

I think the only gripe my instructor had was I didn't stop long enough at a stop sign.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I think it was about 10 minutes. Mostly just driving around the residential streets near the DMV. No maneuverability test, unless you count driving through the DMV parking lot, haha. I got dinged a few points for nearly running a yellow (one of those situations where you can either jam on the brakes to stop, or jam on the gas to make it, and I chose to slightly accelerate so as to not alarm the tester) but still passed fine.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mariana Horchata posted:

tbh i wouldnt want to seen in public searching for pokemon with my phone so im sure most adults playing this are prob doing it inside their car out of shame...

I stopped by a local Thai restaurant on the way to running some errands. The waitress asked me if I'd caught the spearow out front. While I waited for my food I saw multiple people stop and get out their phones on that spot, ages ranging from tweens to thirties.

Not everyone is super worried about being seen playing a game by random strangers. v:geno:v

That said, I knew when Go was first announced it'd have a body count.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Drivers tests vary from state to state. It's all likely to be less than in Germany, but it's not equally a joke everywhere.

Mine went on some pretty busy roads, as well as through neighborhoods. I had to go on the interstate during the instruction part, but it wasn't part of the test.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Uthor posted:

In IL, you can take a written multiple choice test and ride one of these legally on a "training permit" for like 60 days with zero training.

You can pass a riding test on a 125 cc dirt bike and ride one of those legally forever.

Edit: No helmet laws in the state, either!

Yeah, but there you can really only hurt yourself, unless you're REALLY dumb.

Somehow, it's considered a normal rational thing for someone who's never driven anything bigger than a corolla and only on flat ground to rent an 30 foot RV and drive straight into the mountains where they scare the poo poo out of themselves on the first downward slope, and end up doing 50kph in a 100 for the next 600 kms.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
driving like a stupid shitbag is believed to be a Constitutional right so despite easily preventable car accidents killing more Americans that ISIS ever will we're not gonna bother with actually enforcing any sort of meaningful standards.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I've started taking bad driving a lot more personally since getting a motorbike. It's easy to let it slide in a vehicle that will probably protect me from anything but the worst accidents, but when death or serious injury is a probability in any given accident it really raises the stakes. I have no idea how otherwise normal people (who don't actively want to die) ride motorcycles.

e:
Especially the loving phones. I can't wait for completely autonomous cars to be the norm, because human beings driving sure ain't goin' well.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 10, 2016

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

N is for Nipples posted:

I've started taking bad driving a lot more personally since getting a motorbike. It's easy to let it slide in a vehicle that will probably protect me from anything but the worst accidents, but when death or serious injury is a probability in any given accident it really raises the stakes. I have no idea how otherwise normal people (who don't actively want to die) ride motorcycles.

1. you sound too old to be getting into motorbikes
2. some people ride them on race tracks

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Elsa posted:

1. you sound too old to be getting into motorbikes
2. some people ride them on race tracks

1. I can't even drink yet.
2. Me too!

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

N is for Nipples posted:

1. I can't even drink yet.
2. Me too!

okay, I guess I could ask what you mean by motorbike. Is this a practical type of bike you are riding out of necessity, or is it a 1,000 cc 200 mph rocket. I assumed you had a recreational type of bike so it seemed odd that someone would get upset about putting themselves on the road willingly.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Elsa posted:

okay, I guess I could ask what you mean by motorbike. Is this a practical type of bike you are riding out of necessity, or is it a 1,000 cc 200 mph rocket. I assumed you had a recreational type of bike so it seemed odd that someone would get upset about putting themselves on the road willingly.

I ride what most would consider a commuter bike, and I do it recreationally, but it has almost entirely replaced my 4-wheeled ride. Not only is it fun, but it adds some degree of justification to all my bitching about bad driving while simultaneously allowing me to risk my life to a considerable degree. Negligent drivers kill tons of people either way, whether they're on 2 wheels or not, but I've both decreased my risk of being seen before someone hits me and severely increased my chance of injury should someone hit me. It's completely illogical, knowing what kind of people drive out here (and everywhere) and what they do while driving.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

N is for Nipples posted:

I ride what most would consider a commuter bike, and I do it recreationally, but it has almost entirely replaced my 4-wheeled ride. Not only is it fun, but it adds some degree of justification to all my bitching about bad driving while simultaneously allowing me to risk my life to a considerable degree. Negligent drivers kill tons of people either way, whether they're on 2 wheels or not, but I've both decreased my risk of being seen before someone hits me and severely increased my chance of injury should someone hit me. It's completely illogical, knowing what kind of people drive out here (and everywhere) and what they do while driving.

The thing is the danger of riding is very apparent to anyone old enough to care. It's also the meat of the image you can enjoy as a biker. To use it properly you have to shrug it off with a smile or otherwise never ever say something like,

N is for Nipples posted:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
When people ask why I take the additional risk, I just tell them it's too drat much fun. "Enough fun to outweigh the additional risk?" "Uh, yeah, definitely. Mind you I'm wearing over $1000 of protective gear, but yeah, it's worth it."

Most of the time people shake their heads, tell me I'm crazy, but occasionally someone goes and says something like: "Huh... so how did you get in to motorcycles?" At that point the hook is set and I start reeling them in :unsmigghh:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 10, 2016

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
my favorite is the sob stories about dead bikers and their recently widowed wife and young child. way to prioritize, pal.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Was driving home from a weekend trip on the highway tonight and saw a minivan with the license plate "DRIVE RT" The van had a little arrow on the left side of its bumper that said PASS and one on the right side that said DRIVE. What a breath of fresh air, someone who actually knows which side to pass and be passed on. I almost got out my cell phone to take a photo but I thought hey, that's not safe, I'll just tell the thread about it later.

About 5 seconds later, he merges right to pass the guy in the center lane because the people on the left were passing the center guy, but not quickly enough, so he decided to pass on the right. Except then he was blocked by the people up ahead in the right lane, so after I had merged to the left, he swerved from far right to far left to pass the guy, then back again to far right to pass the next guy. I guess he started with the best of intentions but if he feels strongly enough about proper passing to get a vanity plate and stickers, he's probably the type to quickly get frustrated and completely throw his rules out the window.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

davebo posted:

Was driving home from a weekend trip on the highway tonight and saw a minivan with the license plate "DRIVE RT" The van had a little arrow on the left side of its bumper that said PASS and one on the right side that said DRIVE. What a breath of fresh air, someone who actually knows which side to pass and be passed on. I almost got out my cell phone to take a photo but I thought hey, that's not safe, I'll just tell the thread about it later.

About 5 seconds later, he merges right to pass the guy in the center lane because the people on the left were passing the center guy, but not quickly enough, so he decided to pass on the right. Except then he was blocked by the people up ahead in the right lane, so after I had merged to the left, he swerved from far right to far left to pass the guy, then back again to far right to pass the next guy. I guess he started with the best of intentions but if he feels strongly enough about proper passing to get a vanity plate and stickers, he's probably the type to quickly get frustrated and completely throw his rules out the window.

The unfortunate truth about those rules is that most people don't give a poo poo so it rarely works in practice. (Like pretty much everything else about driving, including but not limited to traffic signals, speed limits...)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

If slow people hosed off out of the left lane I'd stop passing on the right. Until then, gently caress it, I'm passing where I can. That doesn't justify weaving from side to side to pass people who are passing but not fast enough for your taste.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
This happened to a friend of a friend of mine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97hfxth3aas

Excursion driver is currently in SD County jail for ADW: Motor Vehicle, Battery, and Vandalism.

For the record, that's a public road and his driveway is no where near that. (Occurred roughly here: https://goo.gl/maps/KndkxhxYU7v )

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

nm posted:

This happened to a friend of a friend of mine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97hfxth3aas

Excursion driver is currently in SD County jail for ADW: Motor Vehicle, Battery, and Vandalism.

For the record, that's a public road and his driveway is no where near that. (Occurred roughly here: https://goo.gl/maps/KndkxhxYU7v )

I'm getting a dashcam fitted to my forehead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ford Excursion aka The "Buried Penis"-Mobile.