Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I just feel like we've seen worse in British political cartooning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Whipping up a hate mob and bullying a transgender woman to death is acceptable, telling a war criminal to kill himself is an abuse of free speech.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

steve bell can't single-handedly bring down governments and international organisations (lol brexit)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Forums Terrorist posted:

steve bell can't single-handedly bring down governments and international organisations (lol brexit)

gently caress, I really wish he could do that.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Could be in light of the Dallas shooting thing. Its totally unrelated but editorial does that sometime. They could always use that as an excuse anyway, when it seems just as likely that they really did think the toon went too far on its own.

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda
Why is the gun tethered to the table?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
So he can't take it away and kill his captors.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
To stop him taking it out of the room and killing innocents because that's what he lusts for.

(I think it's related to Stalin-era imagery where officers were encouraged to kill themselves to avoid shame.)

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda
I've never recognized anyone in these sports cartoons before. I'm loving thrilled I got Ken Clarke right away without knowing the interview being parodied!
(It helps that he's looked exactly the same for 25 years. Like poo poo.)

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

nobodyssweetheart posted:

Why is the gun tethered to the table?

The old Webley and Enfield revolvers carried by British and Empire officers during the Victorian period and world wars had a lanyard ring on the handle. This lanyard went around one's neck so the handgun wouldn't be lost if one's grip failed. It's similar in function to sword knots, which were originally to tether a sabre to an officer's or cavalry trooper's wrist.

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

Fearless posted:

The old Webley and Enfield revolvers carried by British and Empire officers during the Victorian period and world wars had a lanyard ring on the handle. This lanyard went around one's neck so the handgun wouldn't be lost if one's grip failed. It's similar in function to sword knots, which were originally to tether a sabre to an officer's or cavalry trooper's wrist.

So it was the original Wiimote strap.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

PhancyPants posted:

Basically, yes.

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

PhancyPants posted:

Or how toddlers have their mittens tied to their coats with ribbons.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on shootings in the United States – Smith & Wesson stock opened near an all-time high on Friday after five police officers were killed and seven were injured in a shooting in Dallas"

Telegraph:

The i paper:

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

PhancyPants posted:

Wii Golf is better than Imperial Oppression or Lead Conscripts To Their Deaths In A Mud Filled Hellscape.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Wii Golf is better than Imperial Oppression or Lead Conscripts To Their Deaths In A Mud Filled Hellscape.

I didn't like Pikmin much either

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

hahaha

Apocalypse Twitter is a strong premise.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Tony Blair and his beliefs - Chris Riddell on the former prime minister’s response to the Chilcot report"

Sunday Telegraph:

Andrea Leadsom 'motherhood' comments spark row

Independent:

After James Ensor.

Independent on Sunday:

Sunday Times:

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda
At least he picked a new painting to parody. Nice Ensor, there.
Even in death Gove has no chin.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

That apostrophe :argh:

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

I didn't like Pikmin much either

:golfclap:

Brilliant.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the Labour party leadership – Angela Eagle will formally launch her challenge to Jeremy Corbyn on Monday" Also Andy Murray: ‘I’m going to make sure I enjoy this Wimbledon title’

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Lewis Hamilton cruises to historic F1 British Grand Prix hat-trick

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Most Good Cartoon. Even uses classic propaganda devices to say Corbyn has the masses behind him, even though I guess being the Graun it's supposed to be anti-Momentum.

Were they even going for anything other than 'Arrogant Eagle tries to take on the masses' here? Just needs "We've Got Your Back" underneath.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Even having sabotaged Corbyn's racket, the PLP have sent so many balls Out past the line that Corbyn's astronomical score has broken the scoreboard. A Good Cartoon.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

The PLP are satan's emissaries on earth agc.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

The Most Good Cartoon. Even uses classic propaganda devices to say Corbyn has the masses behind him, even though I guess being the Graun it's supposed to be anti-Momentum.

Were they even going for anything other than 'Arrogant Eagle tries to take on the masses' here? Just needs "We've Got Your Back" underneath.

It needs to be animated to show her throwing that ball up and down, refusing to serve for two weeks.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm struggling to see it as anything other than "the PLP no longer represents the party membership".

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Yeah, Jennings isn't remotely as anti-Corbyn as most of the Guardian. I had a look, but he doesn't seem to do any description or commentary on his cartoons. I did find out that they're all on his webpage though, if you missed any.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Britain's next prime minister – New Tory leader Theresa May says she will ‘make a success’ of Brexit, with David Cameron set to hand in his resignation after PMQs on Wednesday"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Mail:

Guardian Sport:

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda
At this point, every cartoonist's caricature of Teresa May is the same. Almost identical.
Except that outlier who gives her a dick-nose.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Would have preferred Leadsome's dagger to have been inserted from the front but I guess the Times probably doesn't like suicide depictions.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

Would have preferred Leadsome's dagger to have been inserted from the front but I guess the Times probably doesn't like suicide depictions.

Cameron's is.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Does this count as a political cartoon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUtO5Ygu7y4

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I think it's bad form to outright call people cartoons.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
Steve Bell on drawing David Cameron: 'So many years, so many condoms'

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Nice!

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on David Cameron's resignation – David Cameron has used his 215th and final cabinet meeting as prime minister to lay out plans to push for a vote on renewing Britain’s nuclear deterrent and to ensure that his life chances strategy will live on"

Bonus! Steve Bell on drawing David Cameron: 'So many years, so many condoms' – video

Telegraph:

Times:

Mail:
Mac on... Theresa May's new job

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Steve Bell is terrific. I love any time we get him on camera talking about his method & all that. Usually only get it at conference season.

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

forkboy84 posted:

Steve Bell is terrific. I love any time we get him on camera talking about his method & all that. Usually only get it at conference season.
It seems like it's been a couple years since they published those conference videos. He seemed a bit burnt out in the later ones. Good to see him cheery in this last one. Maybe it's relief.

And the toys! If only I could get my hands on those squeezy Cam & Osborne toys on his desk.

Favorite Cameron memory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YBumQHPAeU

Onto the future... more Boris.

nobodyssweetheart fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 14, 2016

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Theresa May replacing David Cameron – As David Cameron and wife Samantha moved out of Downing Street, his successor Theresa May was appointed by the Queen and quickly appointed her first cabinet"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Mail:
MAC ON... David Cameron's rather hasty departure from Downing Street

Guardian Australian Sport:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Cloud Potato posted: