Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

:allears:

I love crazy people. What an absolutely insane beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
So that video got me digging around videos of other people putting hilarious boat engines into things and it led me to this video of a sandrail being dyno'ed with an Evenrude V8 and made a gif of it

http://i.imgur.com/09cDCVi.gifv

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRKeuHyI0lw

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I think I posted that a while back. iirc they couldn't use rpm because boat motor, so they had to switch to reading the wheelspeed.

That's a hilarious gif though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Saw this 5th wheel trailer hauler in the middle of Buttfuck, Southern Alberta yesterday afternoon. I wish he had his trailer on it because I can only imagine it's going to match his truck.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I think I posted that a while back. iirc they couldn't use rpm because boat motor, so they had to switch to reading the wheelspeed.

That's a hilarious gif though.

I thought it was because it was a two stroke and the machine couldn't recognise it properly since the timing is totally different to a four stroke

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
All that'd mean is twice as many ignition pulses, it'd still read. You'd just have to tell the dyno it had twice as many cylinders to get it to scale right.

Magnetos on the other hand are gonna give you a fucky as hell signal since like they said, the voltage changes as the engine speeds up. It'd be far better to put an optical rpm sensor (some dynos support them, ours does) and a piece of foil tape on the crank pulley.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Don't see a lot of MG's running, even in LA. Seeing a MGC with livery setup is an additional treat.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That's an MGBGT, not an MGC.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Haha this is incredible. I didn't realize such an engine even exists.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

angryhampster posted:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/videos/a7300/video-insane-evinrude-johnson-two-stroke-v8-startup/

The XP 300 and the ridiculous goddamn expansion chambers required to keep a two stroke V8 happy are destined to become part of horsepower legend.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Posting to see if it makes the forums load a phantom SSS post.

fake edit: Success

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Every thread actually contains a phantom Switch post, it is just a matter of passing the threshold to unlock it.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

angryhampster posted:

I currently own a half-sized version of this engine. V4, 90 horsepower. No expansion pipes, though.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Galler posted:

Posting to see if it makes the forums load a phantom SSS post.

fake edit: Success

There's been a ton of this recently. At least the posts are turning up as opposed to just getting eaten.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Ryan Tuerck's FR-S is getting an interesting new engine swap:

:stare:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

T1g4h posted:

This page is causing me to have a crisis :stare:

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

I don't really get this, it sounds like poo poo.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

T1g4h posted:

Is this how they're attempting to make drifting interesting now?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ormy posted:

I don't really get this, it sounds like poo poo.

It's also a custom chassis with a non-Volvo engine in it... it's only a "Volvo Amazon" in that they've chopped up part of a Volvo to make the roof.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Octopus Magic posted:

Is this how they're attempting to make drifting interesting now?
I love that you're incapable of not being the person outlined by your red title even after earning it years ago. :allears:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
(video snapshot, the two in front did nothing but selfies with the cars :wtf:)

Today I shot a bunch of cars from the top 200 finest cars cruising in colour and monochrome (actual monochrome sensor, not a filter). I'll round up the best 15 and share this weekend if it's of interest. Gonna shoot the casual cruising lanes for some real ratty though lovable stuff full of drunken Swedes later, it is an awesome weekend that I would share in video form if I had a camera capable of the right quality and capturing the rumbling of fat old engines that is heard all over the city.

for a monochrome sample. (Volvo Amazon Pv444)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 9, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I love that you're incapable of not being the person outlined by your red title even after earning it years ago. :allears:

some things never change

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's also a custom chassis with a non-Volvo engine in it... it's only a "Volvo Amazon" in that they've chopped up part of a Volvo to make the roof.
Cutting things off for better performance is a pretty Amazon-like approach, though.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

InitialDave posted:

Cutting things off for better performance is a pretty Amazon-like approach, though.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Pro drifting in 2016 is a sub monster-truck genre joke of motorsports.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Actually it owns if you watch it from Ireland or Japan.
As always, Americans ruin everything they touch by trying to make people involved celebrities and sponsoring it to death.
Also it's a fun. Well okay, bye.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Octopus Magic posted:

I don't regard it as a sport, but it's impressive to watch people who are good at it.

Also, monster trucks are cool.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Drifting is to Motorsport as Mr Universe competitions are to weightlifting.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

MrLonghair posted:

for a monochrome sample. (Volvo Amazon)

Nope, that car is a Volvo PV 444. The Amazon is the one called 120 (12X) in some markets.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Octopus Magic posted:

You're like the automotive equivalent of grandpa shaking his cane at the thought of women voting, color television and those "loving ruskies".

Your entire post history can be summed up with this.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MrYenko posted:

Drifting is to Motorsport as Mr Universe competitions are to weightlifting.

I think of it as figure skating is to speed skating/ice hockey.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Watch hot version and acquire a taste for DORIFTO MUSCLERUUUUU Its cool when its just people seeing who can go more sideways and bowing a lot.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

My brother sent me this, apparently it's a Koenigsegg employee's Opel Kadet.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
That Opel is awesome. There's a Jalopnik article about the cars of Koenigsegg employees and it rules.

SPEAKING OF DRIFTING. There's a feature-length documentary on Irish drifting available for this weekend, idk whether it'll be available beyond that: http://www.speedhunters.com/2016/04/watch-now-heroes-weekend/ It's totally fascinating and really neat imho :allears:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Here we go, http://jalopnik.com/koenigsegg-employees-drive-some-amazing-cars-1783341606

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Geoj posted:

My brother sent me this, apparently it's a Koenigsegg employee's Opel Kadet.

Is there any way to make cheap carpeting stand up to the kind of abuse that car carpets have to? I'm asking for a friend....

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Which car carpet are we talking about?

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Cross post from GBS
I had a cursory look but didn't see it anywhere here, look at this rear end in a top hat:

After looking at Toyota Lexcen ads I wondered if anyone had made a sleeper out of one, how have I never seen this before?
http://www.motormag.com.au/features/1605/toyota-lexcen-ultimate-sleeper/
sorry if it is a bit AI but loving hell it is ridiculous
stroked 6.6 litre L98
home made AWD system using chevy blazer and holden adventra bits
home made independent suspension
The owner describes himself as "a tinkerer"

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I think people wipe their shoes before getting into that one, there are chemical treatments to give to those kinds of carpets to help them survive dirt and washes, but that might have a translucent overlay protecting it. Also from IKEA. LEKPLATS and LILLABO are the two car carpets they've got, just had to check.

I like the rust-look when it's done right and this hydralics-outfitted Pontiac tickled the right senses.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

Is there any way to make cheap carpeting stand up to the kind of abuse that car carpets have to? I'm asking for a friend....

It's Ikea carpet, so it's probably pretty durable, but it's also cheap. It most likely lasts longer than any of the cars I've ever had.

Especially the cars that are rough enough that I would do something like that to them to start with.