Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

I find myself suddenly wondering why it's not more common tbh

Probably just comfort depending on the amount of folks you got on the couch. Personally speaking if it were me up there I'd rather have the space afforded by my own chair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Looper posted:

what happened with it? i only caught the beginning

pikmin 1, 2, and 3 are all incredible games btw

You know the beginning? imagine that for an hour.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

I remember back when I was big into this game beating it in 9 days was basically a means of achieving video game apotheosis, but now this chick's just beating it in eight days during a marathon like "yeah w/e"

Digirat posted:

I forgot how janky the pikmin can be in pikmin 1. The random little losses that's going to cause (and has already caused) could make it awkward to win in the number of days she's planning on

Yeah they were super dumb in the first game. In the original version your pikmin could also just clip out of the map and vanish if corpses fell on them wrong and it just made everything harder for no reason. I wonder if the Wii version fixes that.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

boo you donator, it should have been Pepsi, not Coke :argh:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Ok yeah I read wrong, I don't think she was responsible for the single segment 6-day run but she still did 7-day which is still loving inhuman.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Looper posted:

what happened with it? i only caught the beginning

pikmin 1, 2, and 3 are all incredible games btw

He started off in an obnoxious voice, saying he was trying to mimic popular youtube personalities. Throughout the run he kept making various failed attempts at jokes, so bad that they were nonmedy. At some point one of the developers of the game donated a hefty portion... and right after that, the speedrunner immediately talked poo poo about the game's coding.

Along with all this, there was a donation goal set to finish the game without killing any enemies, except for points where it's forced by the game's mechanics. He proceeded to kill a ton of enemies. When he started getting clashback about that, he was like, "I'm gonna donate a dollar for every time I accidentally kill an enemy, so I think it would be cool for the audience to clap each time!" and it took like ten seconds for the audience to actually clap and go along with it because it was so awkward. Make more of an effort to reach the goal, bro.

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!

Bad Seafood posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I've alread played the first one. It's probably one of my favorite games. I just haven't checked out either of the sequels for various reasons, some of them incidental.

This run is actually really getting me into the mood to revisit the first game. Unfortunately, I let a friend borrow it back in the day and he lost it.

And thanks for the compliment.

If you have the chance, get the sequels. I've played 1 a lot, and the sequels improve everything so much that when I feel the need, I play 2 and 3 before 1, every time.

EDIT: Also, because of this run, the whistling is WAY WAY WAY improved.

JesseHechtCREATIVE fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jul 9, 2016

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

The Grimace posted:

At some point one of the developers of the game donated a hefty portion... and right after that, the speedrunner immediately talked poo poo about the game's coding.

It's clear he wasn't bothering to listen to the donations; to be honest I suspect a lot of runners don't.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rorus Raz posted:

It's not janky, or at least not unintentionally so. Miyamoto wanted the Pikmin to have little AI quirks to reinforce the idea that they're autonomous living things and not just another cog in Olimar's murder marchine.

I started with pikmin 2 which was polished to a sheen and very consistent in general, so going back to pikmin 1 just felt like the game was not put together as well, which is what you'd expect because it was a weird idea put together from scratch on a new console. Little things like pikmin randomly becoming disbanded when you're not watching or dying when they shouldn't just felt like collision issues caused by mashing 100 objects into a really enclosed space.

This run is awesome for me because I played pikmin and pikmin 2 a ridiculous number of times but I feel like she is really not explaining much for people who aren't already familiar with the game, which is too bad because none of these multitasking strategies are going to be apparent to them

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

NRVNQSR posted:

It's clear he wasn't bothering to listen to the donations; to be honest I suspect a lot of runners don't.

Based on a few other runner's reactions, they don't seem to pipe the donations into the headsets most of the time.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I always forget that, for as ghoulish as 2 and 3 still are, Pikmin 1 is still just the most loving DIRE thing, thematically

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

alright there's about 7 hours to pump the Cow Level incentive for Diablo 2. It's not much but it's entertaining and it's $25k to MSF so pump it up Edo

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Frankly I am amazed none of the random deaths so far have been caused by bomb rocks. I never beat pikmin 1 a single time without any accidents because something always go wrong when you try to use them to kill enemies, and you never know when a pikmin will decide to linger just a little longer than usual for no reason when you are blowing up a wall.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Digirat posted:

This run is awesome for me because I played pikmin and pikmin 2 a ridiculous number of times but I feel like she is really not explaining much for people who aren't already familiar with the game, which is too bad because none of these multitasking strategies are going to be apparent to them

You're not wrong, but the fact that she's talking At All, even if it's information you can't necessarily parse if you're unfamiliar with the franchise, is such a big step up from the last time a Pikmin game showed up to my recollection.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

nerdbot posted:

I always forget that, for as ghoulish as 2 and 3 still are, Pikmin 1 is still just the most loving DIRE thing, thematically
The bad ending of Pikmin 1 is horrifying

One of us...:unsmigghh:

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
GREAT Snagret fight!!!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Snagret got fuckin ruined

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
while chat is pretty negative between this thread and the raw stats for how common it is I feel like there's some pretty decent inclusivity over this particular issue which is nice.I know everyone wants things to be absolutely perfect or it's considered a failure but to be honest this is the first time I've seen an event this big feature this kind of diversity so nonchalantly. People seem to want to focus on the negative stuff of which there certainly has been but the positives are pretty unparalleled.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Bomb rocks were the worst part of Pikmin 1 hands down

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Zorglorfian posted:

GREAT Snagret fight!!!

Zorglorfian posted:

GREAT Snagret fight!!!
Did I miss the fight while going to refill my water bottle :stare:

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!

Rorus Raz posted:

Did I miss the fight while going to refill my water bottle :stare:

She threw some Pikmin onto the ledge where the Snagrets are, and it popped out of the ground, with most of the Piks not latching on. It dove back in, and came back up IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CLUSTER OF PIKMIN, and they killed it in a matter of seconds.

EDIT: On a side note, I have a stupid half let's play of Pikmin on Youtube that eventually led to my Wii and all of my gamecube games getting stolen. I got them back eventually, but... yeah.

JesseHechtCREATIVE fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jul 9, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

She did not actually run up onto the snagret plateau since there are 3 up there and that would take time, so killing the snagret with the ship part required its head to get stuck in the ground (RNG). It did on the second unborrow which led to an alpha strike

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Digirat posted:

The amount of things you are keeping track of in your head while playing this game is mind-bending. Even talking at all during a run of this game is crazy, especially with the added pressure of being at a GDQ event. It really can't be over-emphasized how unforgiving this is as a speedgame.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

boy she is STRICT

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
Merciless towards that one Pikmin :(

EDIT: Wait... why's she kill that one Pikmin again?

EDIT 2: Man, she's really killing Beady Long Legs. Go Emily!

JesseHechtCREATIVE fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jul 9, 2016

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Zorglorfian posted:

Merciless towards that one Pikmin :(

EDIT: Wait... why's she kill that one Pikmin again?

EDIT 2: Man, she's really killing Beady Long Legs. Go Emily!

She's being merciless because kill the animals is winning. Wasn't any incentive, she's just honoring the Spirit of Death

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Speedrunning hardens your heart and makes you unfeeling towards your Pikmin :smith:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

This run is amazing just for Emily murdering Pikmin she decides she doesn't like :allears:

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Rorus Raz posted:

Speedrunning hardens your heart and makes you unfeeling towards your Pikmin :smith:

That's the real purpose of the practice runs.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Zivilyn Bane posted:

That's the real purpose of the practice runs.
I hear when you start speedrunning Pikmin they give you some Pikmin of your very own, and after four weeks they force you to kill them.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The only pikmin I ever executed was a yellow who threw a bomb rock directly at a group of other pikmin, because it decided it needed to bomb a pellet posy. The traitor was drowned in front of the squad.

I am not really sure if I got the right one but let's not think too much about that.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I sure am glad emote only is stopping all of these trans hate slurs *chat is an ocean of BCWarrior DansGame WutFace*

Hmmm

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Rorus Raz posted:

Some time ago I saw a speerun with the "no more than 50 Pikmin total" stipulation, it was like watching someone meticulously keeping their 50 precious Faberge eggs perched upright on their rocket car.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
The Pikmin love Chairman Olimar.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm somewhat late on this, but

PEPSIMAAAAAAAN

I love how cool Mike Butters is about all the tweets that were sent to him.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

LAY-ZX posted:

Some time ago I saw a speerun with the "no more than 50 Pikmin total" stipulation, it was like watching someone meticulously keeping their 50 precious Faberge eggs perched upright on their rocket car.

This is a really strong mental image

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Puffy blowhog coming in for the run ender

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Somebody kill that blowhog.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

This run has already been stressful but Puffy Blowhog is giving me a loving heart attack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The enemy fights without honor, hovering over the water like the cowards they are.

• Locked thread