Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

I guess there wasn't much of a point in trying to learn how to OC my Gigabyte G1 1070.

Valley (Pre-OC)
FPS: 89.5
Score: 3745

Valley (Post-OC)
FPS: 90.9
Score: 3802

Here are the details of the OC:
Clock: 1595 -> 1700
Memory: 2002 -> 2292
Boost: 1785 -> 1890

Afterburner shows the clock at 2075 while running benchmark.

Your results are almost exactly like mine. Although I have not tested thoroughly yet. I can get +105 on clock and +300 memory boost. Not sure 100% if the memory is maxed or I can keep going. Going to +110 on core clock crashed Total Warhammer. Did you do anything to the voltage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

No, this came up a few pages ago, I didn't realize at the time either but the only score you should look at is the graphics score. The finally score involves physics in two of the three scores which completely depends on your cpu, and you cpu isn't going to remotely compare to test bench cpus in terms of raw physics computing power. Your graphics score is close or exactly in line with what it should be.

Yeah, an i7-2600K is not realistically going to bottleneck you or anything, it's still pretty good (especially overclocked), but purely in terms of numbers it's still going to lag behind the absolute high-end processors.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So, is there any reason for this behavior? I got a 1070, so I can push really stupid amounts of frames in some games, something like 120-140 FPS in stuff like Overwatch and Doom. Unless I use vsync, however, they have incredibly horrible stuttering. Like, "feels like an entire second stuck on the same frame" levels of stuttering. Is that just because I'm using a 60Hz monitor? I also had stuttering, though not nearly so bad, when I ran the screen at 75Hz and vsync'd it.That made little sense to me. Also, while running the Steam VR demo, it felt like any time I hit over 140 FPS, the stuttering died down.

Do I just really need gsync or vsync to ever have a smooth experience?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

PerrineClostermann posted:

So, is there any reason for this behavior? I got a 1070, so I can push really stupid amounts of frames in some games, something like 120-140 FPS in stuff like Overwatch and Doom. Unless I use vsync, however, they have incredibly horrible stuttering. Like, "feels like an entire second stuck on the same frame" levels of stuttering. Is that just because I'm using a 60Hz monitor? I also had stuttering, though not nearly so bad, when I ran the screen at 75Hz and vsync'd it.That made little sense to me. Also, while running the Steam VR demo, it felt like any time I hit over 140 FPS, the stuttering died down.

Try enabling "Fast Sync" in the drivers? That could help.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Or run borderless windowed. It enables Windows built-in fastsync in games.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I do run borderless windowed. What's fastsync do, anyway?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

From personal experience I can say that Blizzard's in-game solutions for VSync are usually pretty bad so you should override whatever they're using with NVidia's own options. I force Adaptive on in Overwatch from NVInspector and it's buttery smooth on a 980ti.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

KingKapalone posted:

I guess there wasn't much of a point in trying to learn how to OC my Gigabyte G1 1070.

Valley (Pre-OC)
FPS: 89.5
Score: 3745

Valley (Post-OC)
FPS: 90.9
Score: 3802

Here are the details of the OC:
Clock: 1595 -> 1700
Memory: 2002 -> 2292
Boost: 1785 -> 1890

Afterburner shows the clock at 2075 while running benchmark.

What resolution are you running at?
I'm at 1920x1080 and get this on Extreme HD(1920x1080 8xAA fullscreen):
FPS
Score:

I've got an EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 and have been pretty pleased with it.

What temps are you seeing when you stress the card?
With the fans on auto, mine hits about 72-73°C.
When I manually set them to 50% it barely gets over 60°.

My only issue with the card is it will sometimes get a coil whine from a cold boot that will not go away until I power the machine down and back up.
After that the whine will not come back no matter what I've been doing on the system.

Turmoil fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 10, 2016

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Fauxtool posted:

The mobo is H97 so i dont think K cpus are needed, but are you saying they have some unique function not related to overclocking?

In case of the 6700k it has a much higher base clock before you even get into overclocking, 4.0 for the 6700k and 3.4 for the 6700. For the 4790 it is 3.6 vs 4.0 for the K version. The K versions are less than 10% more expensive.

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 9, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
20% off Amazon warehouse today with code WDEARLY20

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

Not working for me and I have Prime and I'm trying to check out with a single Warehouse item... anyone else?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Zero VGS posted:

Not working for me and I have Prime and I'm trying to check out with a single Warehouse item... anyone else?

I tried it with two warehouse items in Canada, and it didn't work for me.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Weird, maybe its targeted. Its working on an entire warehouse order for me.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

:woop: My Palit 1070 Super Jetstream came in today. It's crazy huge and only has a few cm of clearance in my Define R4 case before having to remove the drive cage, but Steam VR readiness says quality level 11 and 0 frames below 90 FPS. I'm living in the future.

What games support Ansel, so I can get all Blade Runner on this poo poo?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Geemer posted:

What games support Ansel, so I can get all Blade Runner on this poo poo?

None yet. It's coming to these games at some point though.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

This is strange. Without any vsync at all its fine?

I kind of despise vsync but I mean it does work pretty well and this is definitely abnormal behavior. When you say "when I ran the screen at 75hz" do you mean you set a custom resolution at 75hz on a 60hz monitor and the stuttering was less bad? Of all my complaints about vsync stuttering is not one of them.

On one hand its a good thing because its obviously a real issue (so it can be fixed) and no, you dont need to go out and buy a gsync monitor. I would try fast sync as well (under nvidia 3d settings -> vsync -> drop down menu, fast sync) and disable vsync in any game at that point and see what happens. But even if that works, there is still an issue here. My next step I would do is run DDU in safe mode and reinstall drivers and to try a different connection on GPU itself (yeah unlikely but free and easy).

Unfortunately outside of basic steps like that excessive stuttering can actually come from many other sources, but what card were you using before?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

On that note EVGA 980 TI FTW is $322 + Tax. I just got mine for $352.00.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B014PXHC6M/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Zero VGS posted:

Are you the primary account holder?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Male Man posted:

Are you the primary account holder?

I'm on someone else's prime and it worked

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I wanna liquid cool my GPU, is there a guide or something to get me started?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I wanna liquid cool my GPU, is there a guide or something to get me started?

Like simply and cheaply? G10 bracket + AIO that fits it is simple enough where im not sure there even is a real guide outside of its own instructions. If you mean like a waterblock and open loop and that sort of thing then thats different though

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Green Gloves posted:

On that note EVGA 980 TI FTW is $322 + Tax. I just got mine for $352.00.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B014PXHC6M/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used
Thanks for the heads up on that. I really only wanted a 4GB RX 470, but AIB RX 470 availability seems to be completely unknown at this point. For $322 (no tax in my state), I'll rock a 980 Ti for a few weeks and sell it on craigslist and break even/profit.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

PBCrunch posted:

Thanks for the heads up on that. I really only wanted a 4GB RX 470, but AIB RX 470 availability seems to be completely unknown at this point. For $322 (no tax in my state), I'll rock a 980 Ti for a few weeks and sell it on craigslist and break even/profit.

Why are you selling it for a worse card?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Haquer posted:

Why are you selling it for a worse card?
Just a personal aversion to spending over $200 on a graphics card.

If I buy it to sell it, that makes it okay. Just play along.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Reposting from two pages ago:

Are the Gigabyte Windforce 1070 cards fine? Have there been any problems with them reported?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

PBCrunch posted:

:psyduck:

O-okay

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

PBCrunch posted:

If I buy it to sell it, that makes it okay. Just play along.

That's some incredible self-control if you actually stick to this plan instead of just keeping the 980Ti.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

Thanks! I used this to pick up an EVGA 970 for significantly cheaper than I've seen it anywhere else. That'll be a nice upgrade by from 6850.

(Also a smart thermostat)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

This is strange. Without any vsync at all its fine?

I kind of despise vsync but I mean it does work pretty well and this is definitely abnormal behavior. When you say "when I ran the screen at 75hz" do you mean you set a custom resolution at 75hz on a 60hz monitor and the stuttering was less bad? Of all my complaints about vsync stuttering is not one of them.

On one hand its a good thing because its obviously a real issue (so it can be fixed) and no, you dont need to go out and buy a gsync monitor. I would try fast sync as well (under nvidia 3d settings -> vsync -> drop down menu, fast sync) and disable vsync in any game at that point and see what happens. But even if that works, there is still an issue here. My next step I would do is run DDU in safe mode and reinstall drivers and to try a different connection on GPU itself (yeah unlikely but free and easy).

Unfortunately outside of basic steps like that excessive stuttering can actually come from many other sources, but what card were you using before?

No, no, vsync 'fixes' the problem, but only fully if I set my screen and game to 60Hz. If I set it to 75Hz and vsync, I still get slight stutter. It's an LG 29UM67. I had a GTX 760 before, and now it's a 1070.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

No, no, vsync 'fixes' the problem, but only fully if I set my screen and game to 60Hz. If I set it to 75Hz and vsync, I still get slight stutter. It's an LG 29UM67. I had a GTX 760 before, and now it's a 1070.

Silly question, but did you fully uninstall your previous drivers using something like Display Driver Uninstaller when you switched cards, or did you just use Nvidia's built in clean install? I've seen a lot of peculiar issues cleared up by people making upgrades like this by using DDU to get a proper driver cleaning.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Sure it's reddit but both this monitor and the 34" ultrawide version have the same problem at 75hz with Nvidia cards.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/3ztdh5/lg_34um67_frame_skipping_75hz_with_nvidia/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/3onvo4/having_stutter_issues_with_my_29_ultrawide/

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I have the 29um67-P, so pretty close to what he's got... and I don't experience this stuttering at all, unless I'm misinterpreting what he means by it. I'm running on dual GTX 760s for now (waiting on AIB 480s), so maybe I'm just blaming any stuttering that I come across on SLI rather than the monitor... but even if I turn SLI off I don't see it, or at least don't notice it.

Maybe try blowing away all the drivers with DDU to make sure of it, and doing a properly clean install? I don't know if that's the problem, but it can't hurt.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Green Gloves posted:

Your results are almost exactly like mine. Although I have not tested thoroughly yet. I can get +105 on clock and +300 memory boost. Not sure 100% if the memory is maxed or I can keep going. Going to +110 on core clock crashed Total Warhammer. Did you do anything to the voltage?

I put the slider all the way up in Afterburner which only increases or a tiny bit and I don't even think it helped with the core clock. In Afterburner my memory was at +580 so it seems weird that the memory only shows up at that ~300 boost in GPU-Z.

I was running Valley at Extreme HD which means it was at 1080p but on my 1440p monitor and my temps got up to 71 with fans at auto in which they reached 61%. I saw another guy on Reddit with pretty much the same overclock and the same score so I don't know how you got 145 fps.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 9, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Quadrupling DDU. It might not help but its amazing what it solves too. I wasn't much of a believer before but I am now after several times it improved something.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

PBCrunch posted:

(You're probably going to keep the 980ti lol)

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I got my 1070 Strix in and I'm pretty impressed, the only issue I had was that this thing is loving huge so I had to cut some drive bays out with tin snips. It's about 75-100% faster than my R9 290 depending on what I'm doing with it and much cooler than quieter despite the fact that this card is overclocked and my 290 ran at stock clocks. I haven't tried any big overclocks yet but I had it up to 2.08GHz in game without any issues.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the best part about modern cases is not slicing up your hands whenever you work on them. You ruined it!

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I might just buy a new case eventually, I've been meaning to anyways because this is an older case without any dust filtering.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Cable management also made huge leaps forward recently. I really like my NZXT S340.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Cable management also made huge leaps forward recently. I really like my NZXT S340.

i want that case but they don't sell it without a window and support won't commit to sending me a right side panel if i buy one