Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
announcer, please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
It's still going, huh. I wonder if people who don't have huge nostalgia for this game are finding it entertaining.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

beep by grandpa posted:

you were way too quick on the draw there. let the man work.

Also when I was 14 I had an insanely clever name I made up for the Maggot Lair, a level everyone hates doing and is prob the worst part of the game for certain classes.

The maggot lair wasn't the issue. I actually enjoyed going through the tunnels.

Nah the issue was being thrown into a cramped space with a boss that one shot you and is hell to kill because it was super resistant to physical which most characters relied on and I think also a little bit resistant to cold so freeze slow effects were not as good even on normal diff.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
I hope the Pokemon Blue run happens, 20k to go in about 2 hours :ohdear:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

voltcatfish posted:

diablo 3 is equally as mindless and boring as 2 and I like both games

you're dumb as gently caress.

Kanfy posted:

It's still going, huh. I wonder if people who don't have huge nostalgia for this game are finding it entertaining.

this was one of the best selling games of all time.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Kanfy posted:

Probably not, but the same can be said for basically anything in the marathon.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah so? people who didnt play it are still not gonna have nostalgia for it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

not even death can save you from me is the most badass line.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I have no idea what that has to do with what I said, there's no need to be so crazy defensive over this video game.

What I'm saying is that this seems like a game in a genre that's especially ill-suited for a 2-hour run.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

I agree, that's a dumb as gently caress thing to say; Diablo 3 is a much better game

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

the mob death animations for this game are so satisfying

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
For all the million other improvements Diablo 3 made (and made again when it got unfucked) they never quite nailed how good loot felt in Diablo 2

Part of the problem was that every single piece of gear boosted your damage so it just became a meaningless slurry of stats

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Groovelord Neato posted:

ehh

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

seriously, in a sea of 8 bajillion games that's absolutely one of the best selling games.

Anyway, run is neat, 2 hours is probably fine but then I enjoy Diablo.

Reminds me how much easier D2 Vanilla is then Median XL though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

huh weird when did most of those games above it come out?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's procedural, but it's pretty limited in how far the procedural can go. The patterns are reliable.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Brannock posted:

For all the million other improvements Diablo 3 made (and made again when it got unfucked) they never quite nailed how good loot felt in Diablo 2

Part of the problem was that every single piece of gear boosted your damage so it just became a meaningless slurry of stats

Less focus on individual items and more on set pieces, even though that was also a thing in 2. You're usually not super happy to see legendaries, and for some classes poo poo's even worse. Also, items being easily recognizable by art and not by name takes a bit out of that "god is that a windforce i hope it is please be one"

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

huh weird when did most of those games above it come out?

11 of the 18 games there came out after it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that's my point!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

the gaming audience was significantly smaller back in 2000

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

That's not a fair comparison. I bought Diablo 3 3 times but Diablo 2 only twice.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Groovelord Neato posted:

I can't tell if you're gimmick posting but it's not funny it's just sad at this point

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
they called the third diablo diablo 3

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

why are you dolts arguing about game sales when we should be marvelling at how epic Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction is.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I'm just shitposting, Diablo 2's fun but I can't go back to 2001 lootgames and neither can my lovely monitor.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Eonwe posted:

they called the third diablo diablo 3

oh.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I lost a 67 hc sorceress to the Ancients because of a notorious fire enchant bug which one shotted her the instant the fight started :negative:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

beep by grandpa posted:

why are you dolts arguing about game sales when we should be marvelling at how epic Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction is.

its one of the greatest games ever created

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i've never played any diablo

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

also wow he tore rear end through act V :eyepop: as soon as diablo went down I used it as an opportunity to catch up on some sweet new posts and he's almost done.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

voltcatfish posted:

I can't tell if you're gimmick posting but it's not funny it's just sad at this point

you equated a good game (the one on stream) with probs the worst sequel to any game. i think if there's a gimmick it would be yours.

beep by grandpa posted:

the thing diablo 3 never captured was HOW GOOD IT FEELS to kill enemies in diablo 2. it's an indescribable feeling.

yup.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

the thing diablo 3 never captured was HOW GOOD IT FEELS to kill enemies in diablo 2. it's an indescribable feeling.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I loving love Baal's evil laugh :h:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Dias posted:

Less focus on individual items and more on set pieces, even though that was also a thing in 2. You're usually not super happy to see legendaries, and for some classes poo poo's even worse. Also, items being easily recognizable by art and not by name takes a bit out of that "god is that a windforce i hope it is please be one"

Yeah I agree

I dunno though. Having every piece of gear boost Strength (for example) and Strength being your main damage stat made the different pieces of gear feel indistinct, also it diluted the impact of finding a new weapon

The sets are cool and do cool things but them being sets necessarily restricts your options

It's similar (but not the same) as the problem WoW had with gear in Cataclysm onwards, it was so streamlined and perfected that you stopped caring about individual upgrades because you'd just eventually be powered up to exactly what the devs expected your power level to be

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Ventar was such a bastard of a miniboss

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Groovelord Neato posted:

you equated a good game (the one on stream) with probs the worst sequel to any game. i think if there's a gimmick it would be yours.

you're retroactively spoiling my like for this game

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i don't think i could spoil it further if you think 3 is as good.

Brannock posted:

Yeah I agree

I dunno though. Having every piece of gear boost Strength (for example) and Strength being your main damage stat made the different pieces of gear feel indistinct, also it diluted the impact of finding a new weapon

The sets are cool and do cool things but them being sets necessarily restricts your options

It's similar (but not the same) as the problem WoW had with gear in Cataclysm onwards, it was so streamlined and perfected that you stopped caring about individual upgrades because you'd just eventually be powered up to exactly what the devs expected your power level to be

plus some items gave you cool new spells and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

lol if you say you loved this game and didn't memorize every magical suffix/prefix in the game and get "YOU HAVE JOINED TOO MANY GAMES" at least 5x a day, loving bitch rear end casual :ow ned:

• Locked thread