Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Woe is the yard that has 6 inch deep leaves on it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Just get minorities to do it like any good God fearing white man

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ded posted:

Woe is the yard that has 6 inch deep leaves on it!

then it's lawnmower time

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Talking about thallium poisoning in another thread and this gem came up from the wikipedia page

quote:

In June 2004, 25 Russian soldiers earned Honorable Mentions in the Darwin Awards after becoming ill from thallium exposure when they found a can of mysterious white powder in a rubbish dump on their base at Khabarovsk in the Russian Far East. Oblivious to the danger of misusing an unidentified white powder from a military dump site, the conscripts added it to tobacco, and used it as a substitute for talcum powder on their feet

Ioseph #1: Hrm, what's this weird white powder we found in the rubbish.
Ioseph #2: Dunno man, better smoke it in case it's drugs.
Ioseph #1: Sounds good to me tovarisch, I might put some on my feet as well.
Ioseph #2: well I mean really, why wouldn't you? За здоровье!

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
Speaking of Russians ingesting harmful substances, I remember reading about how a group of Russian POWs were liberated in WWII. Near the camp was a rail car leaking kerosene. Upon smelling it, the Russians yelled "Vodka! Vodka!" and proceeded to imbibe. Naturally, all ended up violently ill and a few ended up dead.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I heard about gulag prisoners eating a barrel of lend-lease machine grease, and living.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
The MiG-25 supposedly uses a ridiculous amount of ethanol for cooling, so at some point presumably some Russian general rubbed his chin and said "...yeah. Jet that requires a bunch of nearly-pure alcohol. Maintained on the airfields by bored Russians. Sounds good. Ship it. I'mma gonna go get drunk now."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

hogmartin posted:

The MiG-25 supposedly uses a ridiculous amount of ethanol for cooling, so at some point presumably some Russian general rubbed his chin and said "...yeah. Jet that requires a bunch of nearly-pure alcohol. Maintained on the airfields by bored Russians. Sounds good. Ship it. I'mma gonna go get drunk now."

Even if you believe nothing else written by defector-turned-author Viktor Suvorov (and there's a good case that all the important stuff is bullshit), you should believe that the MIG-25 was nicknamed "the flying kitchen" because of the ethanol based cooling system

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Pokemon Go came out yesterday and I guess you walk around your town and find pokemans or something and they level up based on how much you walk or some poo poo I dunno.

Anyway a buddy of mine in the Army just told me they already had a dude get in a bit of trouble for using a Blackhawk to try and catch 'em all. Said dude was hovering over the PX in a no fly zone.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Terrible Robot posted:

Pokemon Go came out yesterday and I guess you walk around your town and find pokemans or something and they level up based on how much you walk or some poo poo I dunno.

Anyway a buddy of mine in the Army just told me they already had a dude get in a bit of trouble for using a Blackhawk to try and catch 'em all. Said dude was hovering over the PX in a no fly zone.

That's amazing.

There was some YouTube person in Bristol, UK who did a video of him playing it and it took him to some rough neighborhood called St. Johns, he then showed the Wikipedia page in the video showing that it was known for having riots against the police, a huge heroin addiction problem, and a bunch of other issues.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 8, 2016

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Terrible Robot posted:

Ft. Hood? My friend was saying he kept seeing a blackhawk flying super low all over base yesterday morning

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Terrible Robot posted:

Army Blackhawks are not single pilot aircraft, so for that to be true, there would have to have been at least two idiots going along with it, and probably ignoring crew chiefs in the back going "this is a bad idea, sir."

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Army Blackhawks are not single pilot aircraft, so for that to be true, there would have to have been at least two idiots going along with it, and probably ignoring crew chiefs in the back going "this is a bad idea, sir."

or crew chiefs saying "i just got a pikachus"

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

https://twitter.com/pamwishbow/status/750942095041376257

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

You gotta really want to catch the jiggly puff or diglet.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Booblord Zagats posted:

Ft. Hood? My friend was saying he kept seeing a blackhawk flying super low all over base yesterday morning

Yup

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

chemosh6969 posted:

or crew chiefs saying "i just got a pikachus"

Yeah, you're probably right

"No slide right I got a pokemans on that lady's head!"

Or whatever, I don't know how the game works

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I'm waiting for the first person to get busted trying to sneak their phone into a SCIF because they just know there have gotta be some good Pokemon chilling in there.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Yeah, you're probably right

"No slide right I got a pokemans on that lady's head!"

Or whatever, I don't know how the game works

Basically, wandering anywhere within a populated area (so the middle of nowhere in the Sahara probably won't work) causes Pokemon to randomly appear for you to catch. Art installations, major landmarks and national monuments, churches, museums, plaques, etc. can all be stops to get more items like Pokeballs or gyms that you can capture by battling the owners' Pokemon with your own.

So the Blackhawk guy was probably trying to hit every stop on the base as fast as possible by flying around.\\

Internet Wizard posted:

I'm waiting for the first person to get busted trying to sneak their phone into a SCIF because they just know there have gotta be some good Pokemon chilling in there.

Specific locations only have specific Pokemon appear more often as a general rule (like industrial areas have more industrial-themed Pokemon, lakes and oceans generate more water-type Pokemon, etc.), but you're probably going to see a ton of people staring at their phones at really inappropriate times more often, like during their job. Or they'll run smack into a shithead LT in an office.

The worst part is that if you have the AR function turned on, it uses your phone camera to show the Pokemon in the real world moving around for you to fling Pokeballs at to capture. So people have already gotten suspicious looks because they looked like they were filming children at a playground or something. So imagine that happening around literally anything vaguely classified.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

chitoryu12 posted:

imagine that happening around literally anything vaguely classified.

Yeah that's the thing. You can't even have your phone with you in most classified areas, let alone out and catching Pokemon.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Internet Wizard posted:

Yeah that's the thing. You can't even have your phone with you in most classified areas, let alone out and catching Pokemon.

Your typical pokemon probably hasn't been granted access to most classified areas, so it only makes sense you'd want to catch them.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Internet Wizard posted:

All Pokémon remain the property of the US Army and may not be removed from the facility without express written permission from the post commander

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

canyoneer posted:

All Pokémon remain the property of the US Army and may not be removed from the facility without express written permission from the post commander

I, Sgt Hawkins PFJ, request permission to recover 1x Mega Blastoise from the base orderly room with my LG G3 smartphone. I request this permission because

1. Collecting all Mega Evolutions of Kanto region starter Pokemon will improve my morale, and thus my operational effectiveness
2. It is imperative to OPSEC that Mega Blastoise, who comes equipped with Water Cannon, be removed from the area of sensitive electronics within the orderly room

I trust you will find this rationale satisfactory and grant this permission.

Submitted for your approval, sir.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Drive out to top secret black ops site. Gate guards are like "Sir what the gently caress are you doing here." "WHERE THE gently caress IS MEWTWO"

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

chemosh6969 posted:

Your typical pokemon probably hasn't been granted access to most classified areas, so it only makes sense you'd want to catch them.

Since Pokémon are Japanese, the State Department would have cognizance over them, so access to classified shouldn't be a problem.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
No matter what, I doubt any of us will sink to this level of dumb

https://www.nknews.org/2013/05/white-power-and-apocalyptic-cults-pro-dprk-americans-revealed/

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

joat mon posted:

Since Pokémon are Japanese, the State Department would have cognizance over them, so access to classified shouldn't be a problem.

heyo

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Clearance means nothing to Pokemon.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
According to Facebook trash, there is a gym in the white house being owned by a pidgeot named "Merica".

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

A Bad Poster posted:

According to Facebook trash, there is a gym in the white house being owned by a pidgeot named "Merica".

I hope it belongs to Obama

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I could see obama getting Marine One to take him hunting pokemon

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Reverand maynard posted:

I could see obama getting Marine One to take him hunting pokemon

Or him and his daughters :kimchi:

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

making dumb political statements in uniform, not just for white people anymore.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

for god sakes, just let this world end.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

A Civilian at work wants to see a meteor to end it all.

I called him a quitter.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

making dumb political statements in uniform, not just for white people anymore.

Enjoy the Article 15, I guess.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Jesus, 2016 DoD Guidance on Political Activity just came out.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

ElMaligno posted:

A Civilian at work wants to see a meteor to end it all.

I called him a quitter.

Call the rest of us quitters then because gently caress this mess Meteor/SS-18 let it all burn

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

is this one referencing the cops who got shot by the crazy vet, or vets that become trigger happy cops? kinda a head scratcher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
No gently caress you I want to live