Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I'm sorry, but Wraith is just straight up not fun to play against and does not seem balanced. God bless.

Also this game is fun.

Also also some challenges show a "crate" as the reward, but I can't figure out how to open them after getting the challenge?

Also what causes the 2X damage I see on the monster health sometimes?

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knifegrab posted:

I'm sorry, but Wraith is just straight up not fun to play against and does not seem balanced. God bless.

Also this game is fun.

Also also some challenges show a "crate" as the reward, but I can't figure out how to open them after getting the challenge?

One of the trapper abilities I believe. I don't pay hunters so I wouldn't know for sure. What about the wraith is giving you trouble?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
So this game poped up on Steam, but the reviews seems rather bad, is the gameplay bad or is it just those who bought the game being (somewhat understandably) salty?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Rincewinds posted:

So this game poped up on Steam, but the reviews seems rather bad, is the gameplay bad or is it just those who bought the game being (somewhat understandably) salty?

A bit of both. I'm playing it and enjoying it but its not a good game and balance is no where near right lol

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rincewinds posted:

The "Founders" (people who bought the game) are upset the game went F2P. The problem is, when the game went F2P you got everything that was in the game free, besides certain perks. The people who bought the game had nothing really change for them, as the still have access too everything in the game, and now we actually have people to play with, because like, I would play and only 8 people would be on in the world.

The game is a blast, but it has a level of complexity equal to DotA. The game has a lot of complex mechanics.

Take for example the shared "Dome." Nothing tells you this, but if you down a hunter in a dome, the timer gets shorter. Hunters want to apply a ton of damage in that first Dome, and then use tracker abilities when people start going down to apply pressure.

Another unexplained mechanic! Shooting the monster gives him more stamina for his Traversal ability. This is fine if the monster's traversal ability sucks. If it's the Wraith or the Kraken though? You've basically just helped them escape.

Monsters leave huge easy to see tracks on the ground. When it dashes away, you should split up in groups of twos so they can't get away. If the monster gets Stage 2, it's a 50/50 fight. If it's Stage 1, the fight is more 60/40. The monster CAN win, but it's hard pressed too fight. It's also terrifying (as the monster) when the hunters have flame weapons. The damage over time takes away one of our key abilities, running out of range / being mobile, because you're burning to death, AND flame weapons does bonus damage to armor (or did.)

If that sounds fun to you, and understand that you will loose your first 3 or 4 matches, then I would definitely recommend getting it, if not leave it be.

I really love this game though, so I'll point out I'm biased to wanting a player base.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

So now that I know I don't need to hit with every pellet of slims gun to get the cool down reduction, I'm loving him. Also when the monster does chase my rear end down he just gets a ton of damage for the trouble.

Bug man 10/10

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Slim is an rear end in a top hat that makes me cry. just leave me alone you terrible bug man.

Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!

HMS Boromir posted:

Unlocking a few of your favorite boys doesn't seem so bad, especially if you're like me and couldn't give less of a poo poo about giving your space beast a paintjob. The only thing that really rubs me the wrong way is the perks, that stuff is textbook The Bad Kind Of Free To Play.

Played against the rolling rock monster last night who had a gold skin... Made him much more visible and we trounced him... Made his failure even more embarrassing, lol

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taiso posted:

Played against the rolling rock monster last night who had a gold skin... Made him much more visible and we trounced him... Made his failure even more embarrassing, lol

Behemoth is god awful, and that golden skin is just dick waving lol. You should really be much much better at the game if you want to win as Behemoth. You can't really get away, so you're constantly fighting, which at stage 1 is terrible, you have to know how to aim your skills right so you can escape with walls, but it's super difficult to pull it off.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Man, what were they thinking making Caira the free medic on launch week? Gettin real drat tired of playing games without getting healed once.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
This game is pretty fun, I'm glad they opened it up as F2P. Seems odd they have no way to purchase the ingame currency yet, seems like an odd way to launch it but whatever.

Some games you get your clock cleaned by the monster if you have some bozo teammates but they rounds are pretty fast so I don't really mind.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Elder Kraken seems... really op. I just poo poo out so much damage with my skills so quickly. I've heard that he's bad against better players since his skills are more dodgeable than the normal Kraken, but man I just wipe the hunters so quickly I don't know if it matters.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
drat is Gorgon fun, webswing is quick as poo poo as an escape skill and I've yet to see any Hunter expect a crouch and circle around maneuver, the second you go into prey mode you've got crazy freedom as Gorgon.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brackhar posted:

Elder Kraken seems... really op. I just poo poo out so much damage with my skills so quickly. I've heard that he's bad against better players since his skills are more dodgeable than the normal Kraken, but man I just wipe the hunters so quickly I don't know if it matters.

The game revolves around knowing what you're doing. So right now the Monsters seem super duper OP. What happened when the game launched, is people were new, said the monsters were OP. The monsters got nerfed, but the players got a lot better. The Monsters got like a %35 win rate as a result, which is ultimately, what killed the game. I don't think they'll do the same thing.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This game is fun but I have a problem with its entire pacing mechanic. Hunters want to win early by tagging and bagging in stage one, but the game is super boring and one-sided when it's in stage one. Monsters want to draw it out to stage three but the game is super boring and one-sided in stage three. The fun fights and tense moments are all in stage two and I don't understand why they can't have the entire game taking place at stage two with the monster eating for some other purpose, like a victory goal.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

I play 90% of my games as the monster and most of them are won in either stage one or two. I don't see stage three very often, and I find it really hard to win on a lot of maps to win if the game reaches that point because the power relays are often not very favorable locations to fight around.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

This game is fun, but the ui for the menus needs an overhaul.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
Just had my second game as Goliath, killed all hunters at stage one, wasn't even much of a fight. Game immediately after that: the goliath actually disconnected or something, he was just standing there in place for like a minute straight, and we did a ton of damage to him, including a full mortar barrage. He still won.

As much as people want to believe that things are balanced, I don't really think they are...saying this after seeing both sides.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

KillerQueen posted:

This game is fun, but the ui for the menus needs an overhaul.

Also, the schizophrenic matchmaking will often break up groups at the drop of a hat; a good chunk of playtime is spent remaking groups after a goon is disconnected/shoved out of a full game/crashed to desktop.

on the plus side, when it works it turns out premade teams are waaay more entertaining to play with than silent pubbies.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.
Any top tips on hunting Wraith? Because I have no idea what I was supposed to do there.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
Got Lennox, won next game by punching Goliath in the loving throat. Eighteen thousand damage holy poo poo.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015

RossCo posted:

Any top tips on hunting Wraith? Because I have no idea what I was supposed to do there.

Try for an open casket funeral. With pubbies there's not much you can do right now, and the monster buffs that came with stage 2 were better on her than intended, apparently the devs have said they're gonna nerf her again.

I'm getting real annoyed with the game searching forever even when the server obviously has five people in it.

I guess I just don't loving get it. I cannot get away from the hunters. Ever. As soon as they see me the game's basically over because I will never duck them.

I know it's just me, since obviously monsters are winning a ton right now, but gently caress.

Mister Bup fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 10, 2016

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Mister Bup posted:

I guess I just don't loving get it. I cannot get away from the hunters. Ever. As soon as they see me the game's basically over because I will never duck them.

I know it's just me, since obviously monsters are winning a ton right now, but gently caress.

The key to monster play is the fact that you can see through walls and the hunters can't. Pick the perk that increases your feeding speed and smell range for all 3 perks. Spam right click on cooldown the entire time you're playing.

Whenever the hunters see you and you don't feel like fighting, your #1 priority is to just break line of sight. Climb up or jump down somewhere they can't see you and keep pressing right click. Then you can see them but they can't see you, making juking easy. Especially inexperienced hunters that tend to follow you in a straight line rather than trying to surround you.

If they try to split up too wide to surround you then you can often just attack one of them while they're split up for an easy kill.

Alternatively, just turning around and attacking a group of bad hunters is often a good idea because they will have wasted all of their jetpack fuel on chasing you, making them completely incapable of dodging any of your attacks. I have won a bunch of games as a lvl 1 on Goliath and Kraken, the extra point you get to spend as lvl 1 now makes a huge difference in your damage output potential.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

RossCo posted:

I've had one win against a wraith player, and that was because he had a heart-attack or something part-way into a doming and suddenly stopped moving, allowing us to melt him down in about 2 minutes. Holy poo poo do level 2-3 monsters have a ton of health.

How does Hank's shield generator work? Does it drain when I use it on someone, or when they're damaged by the monster? Does it "add" extra health like the support shield, or just soak damage as long as its held on someone? Fights have been too hectic for me to figure it out at my leisure.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Gave Wraith a spin since I already owned it for some reason. I didn't buy the game but I did play it during a free weekend so it might have been that.

Holy hell people cannot deal with Wraith. Played three games, the first two I won at stage 1 by just hiding behind walls while domed and whittling them down with decoys and abductions, the third I won at stage 3 having evaded the hunters the entire time. I'm gonna stick with this for a while, see how long it takes for the game to catapult me so far up the ranks that I never win a game again because I'm not actually any good.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

Also this game is fun.

They've confirmed a nerf to the wraith is coming. Also I don't think anyone answered you but the 2x damage is a headshot, or maybe you shot a target that Val put on the monster with her rifle, which is also a 2x multiplier, they stack also for 4x on the head.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

HMS Boromir posted:

Gave Wraith a spin since I already owned it for some reason. I didn't buy the game but I did play it during a free weekend so it might have been that.

Holy hell people cannot deal with Wraith. Played three games, the first two I won at stage 1 by just hiding behind walls while domed and whittling them down with decoys and abductions, the third I won at stage 3 having evaded the hunters the entire time. I'm gonna stick with this for a while, see how long it takes for the game to catapult me so far up the ranks that I never win a game again because I'm not actually any good.

If you can believe it, she used to be even worse to deal with!

She's very fun if you go the abducting rear end in a top hat route instead.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
If you're okay with going through sketchy foreign vendors, Evolve is on g2a for 11 bucks and gets you everything founders get, including immediate access to behemoth and a bunch of extra skins.

Gorgon, Torvald, Emet, Slim, Jack, Crow, Sunny, and Kala still need to be unlocked though. If you want to clown the new F2P mechanics I suggest you do it now before they figure it out and stop accepting old keys.

Mister Bup fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 10, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Downloaded the game, haven't played yet but just wanted to share my anecdote on the f2p stuff:

When Evolve was going to come out me & friends were pretty hype for it, and assumed it would be F2P what with the insane amount of planned DLC elements. Then it came out for full price -on top of- the boatload of DLC, and most of us outright forgot about it.

The toys are pretty cool though. I have the medic sniper lady, and while I had to re-attach a broken leg its prolly the first retail toy I've seen that can hold a sniper rifle in a natural looking way

Mr Toes
Jan 2, 2008
Digitally Challenged
I have to admit, it's a fun F2P game, but I'd be annoyed if I had paid actual money for it.

Had an 8 game streak on the go, but I've just brought Val and I'm having far more difficulty playing her than Caira. The skills don't seem to mesh so well and you don't seem to be able to heal yourself aside from the burst - any recommendations?

Also, gently caress Kraken :arghfist:

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Is the F2P version on Xbox yet or did the change end up clashing with the summer sale? It's one of these games that had a great idea but I played a few games either in a demo/trial version or beta test and couldn't take the vertical learning curve at the start.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

Anime_Otaku posted:

Is the F2P version on Xbox yet or did the change end up clashing with the summer sale? It's one of these games that had a great idea but I played a few games either in a demo/trial version or beta test and couldn't take the vertical learning curve at the start.

They're trying it out on PC first with a console release later depending on success.

Weird thought: Is a game still F2P if it has no payment mechanism, or is straight up Free a different category now?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
What's the most efficient technique for covering distance as a hunter? Get high, boost once and drift?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Whoa whoa whoa

This game is free to play now?

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

ZenVulgarity posted:

Whoa whoa whoa

This game is free to play now?

Yeah. Top line changes:

1) Free
2) Everyone can deploy the dome, so a bad tracker doesn't ruin your game.

That's not really giving them credit for all the changes, but it's early and I haven't had coffee.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

RossCo posted:

They're trying it out on PC first with a console release later depending on success.

Weird thought: Is a game still F2P if it has no payment mechanism, or is straight up Free a different category now?

They most likely just haven't implemented the microtransaction stuff yet, I very seriously doubt the game will continue to not have any cash shop. The game wouldn't be this insanely grindy if they just released it for free out of the kindness of their hearts.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
It's still considered beta, so give it some time.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Mister Bup posted:

Yup, I've been having the same problem. I tried to pick up Gorgon, since the idea of setting ambushes sounds really cool, then spent the entire game picking tracking darts out of my teeth. Wall ambushes were completely useless, too, since people just stick together enough to kill my spiders and knock me off hunters.

Is it just me or is mimic completely useless?

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I've heard mimic is good but it's definitely something to leave out until you know how to use it. The gorgon's big thing is body-camping, between acid spit and spiders he can make it almost impossible to revive someone.

Every gorgon I've seen so far has been sporting an outrageous win-streak, 14 on one guy but that's pretty low compared to some I've seen screenshotted.

The game's biggest problem right now is veteran players jumping on wraith and gorgon and clowning disorganized players. Good thinking guys, your game got a second-wind and you're doing your best to drive everybody away again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

Mister Bup posted:

I've heard mimic is good but it's definitely something to leave out until you know how to use it. The gorgon's big thing is body-camping, between acid spit and spiders he can make it almost impossible to revive someone.

Every gorgon I've seen so far has been sporting an outrageous win-streak, 14 on one guy but that's pretty low compared to some I've seen screenshotted.

The game's biggest problem right now is veteran players jumping on wraith and gorgon and clowning disorganized players. Good thinking guys, your game got a second-wind and you're doing your best to drive everybody away again.

Yeah, in retrospect they should have used previous player records to give an initial level boost. The veterans would get a burst of free coins, and it would bump them out of the newcomer range.

• Locked thread