Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Charmander's biggest problem is that Arcanine, Ninetails, and Rapidash are all cool as hell

A lot of the grass and water dudes aside from Bulbasaur and Squirtle are extremely lame

I'll give you Bulbasaur is cooler than pretty much every other Gen1 grass type but I will not hear anything even remotely insinuating that Squirtle is cooler than Poliwrath

Also I like how not even the runners can give a coherent explanation of what the hell just happened there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Dias posted:

oddish is mad at you

Oddish sucks

so does Bellsprout

the first non-lame grass type you can catch is Exeggcute and even then it's not good until you evolve it AND you get it really late in the game

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
here it comes, "oh no what happened this is bad ha ha just kidding this was planned :)"

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

here it comes, "oh no what happened this is bad ha ha just kidding this was planned :)"

:xd:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Pakled posted:

Oddish sucks

so does Bellsprout

the first non-lame grass type you can catch is Exeggcute and even then it's not good until you evolve it AND you get it really late in the game

they are cool and exeggcute is bad stfu

Their evolutions are kinda lame tho. Honestly Grass-types in RBY sucked because they were all Poison and Poison sucked.

Also lol

Icetongue
Jun 22, 2015
Arcanine is a dog, Ponyta is a horse, Magmar is a burning duck. Why pick any of them when you can have a huge winged lizard that looks more like a dragon than the dragon-Pokemon does.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Good jokes, really had me goin there

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Icetongue posted:

Arcanine is a dog, Ponyta is a horse, Magmar is a burning duck. Why pick any of them when you can have a huge winged lizard that looks more like a dragon than the dragon-Pokemon does.

i'll have you know distinguished ladies love dragonite

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Regy Rusty posted:

Good jokes, really had me goin there

It ACTUALLY got me because I wasn't super paying attention.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

that got really silly really fast

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Icetongue posted:

I wish I could have summoned my ten-year-old self to the future to see Mega Charizard X/Y because I would have completely lost it. Now I'm too jaded and think that Mega evolutions are dumb and stupid and refuse to have anything to do with them.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I wish I could have summoned my ten-year-old self to the future to see Mega Charizard X/Y because I would have completely lost it. Now I'm too jaded and think that Mega evolutions are dumb and stupid and refuse to have anything to do with them.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Now they have the best starter, Mewtwo.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

oh I thought this was going to be interesting but instead they're just going to beat every gym with Mewtwo

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was a total dweeb as a kid so I never liked the "cool" and edgy Pokémons that everyone else went nuts for :goonsay:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

TAS setups take ages right?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Kaubocks posted:

oh I thought this was going to be interesting but instead they're just going to beat every gym with Mewtwo

<distorts screen, auto-teleports to gyms, everything is hosed and there's mewtwo>

oh i thought this was going to be interesting

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

beep by grandpa posted:

probably yes.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Well I spent my time Playing pokemon Go instead of watching pokemon day on SGDQ.

Is it worth VODing?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Your Computer posted:

I was a total dweeb as a kid so I never liked the "cool" and edgy Pokémons that everyone else went nuts for :goonsay:

Ever since I was a kid, I've refused to use legendary Pokemon in battle. It just doesn't make sense for a ten year old kid to command a Mewtwo!

Icetongue
Jun 22, 2015
Mega evolutions still are neato since your favourite Pokemon gets to wear like an extra pair of pants or something. Also Dragonair is so much better than Dragonite since you can wear it as a scarf. A scarf that breathes fire.

Realtalk tho: The amount of memory-corruption the runner is doing in his run is terrifying. I didn't know you could change the maps' entry-points that way to move from one map to another. Some glitches and corruptions were also showcased in an LP-thread some time ago, but this is on a whole new level.

Avskum
Jul 27, 2009

:smugfrog:

beep by grandpa posted:

10 minutes according to the schedule :shrug:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Crain posted:

Well I spent my time Playing pokemon Go instead of watching pokemon day on SGDQ.

Is it worth VODing?

Me too buddy, I came back in time for the fun glitched run

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Dias posted:

<distorts screen, auto-teleports to gyms, everything is hosed and there's mewtwo>

oh i thought this was going to be interesting

there's nothing that really separates this run from a 100% run because they do that kind of stuff constantly there. as the runner said before he started, it's just a meme category because they wanted something to fit "RBA". :shrug:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Kaubocks posted:

Christ. That is boring.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
i still think both of you are dumb they're making pokémon become skyrim and maybe skynet

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Pokémon battles are always boring to watch. The fun part is the crazy map movement.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Icetongue posted:

Realtalk tho: The amount of memory-corruption the runner is doing in his run is terrifying. I didn't know you could change the maps' entry-points that way to move from one map to another. Some glitches and corruptions were also showcased in an LP-thread some time ago, but this is on a whole new level.

they can basically do what they want with that glitch, it's magical. Being able to directly manipulate memory is basically the holy grail of glitching.

in the any% run they just warp right to the post-Elite Four room right?

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Were people expecting them to glitch to giovanni and beat him with a level 6 bulbasaur

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
you can fish in the statue, I remember that

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Dr. Dos posted:

Were people expecting them to glitch to giovanni and beat him with a level 6 bulbasaur

i was curious what kind of wizardry would allow this to happen :(

Icetongue
Jun 22, 2015

Your Computer posted:

they can basically do what they want with that glitch, it's magical. Being able to directly manipulate memory is basically the holy grail of glitching.

in the any% run they just warp right to the post-Elite Four room right?
But is it still glitching if you directly affect the game's memory? Or is this beyond glitches?

Probably going for an in-game time of 0:00, at least in the yellow version.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Also I still love RBY because it went from bad and dated to COMPLETE MESS and you can destroy the game even without going into these specific memory manipulations.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

s.i.r.e. posted:

What happened to Peaches? Is he permabanned after being drunk that one year?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Icetongue posted:

But is it still glitching if you directly affect the game's memory? Or is this beyond glitches?

Probably going for an in-game time of 0:00, at least in the yellow version.

It's still glitching as everything is done within the confines of the ROM.

If they did stuff outside of the ROM it would count as romhacking, but this is all done with bugs and behaviours programmed into the game by the developers.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Mother. loving. Pokerap.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I get not liking runs that basically just turn the game into a glitch showcase. Imagine if there was a DMC3 speedrun where they were just glitching past every single boss and never fought a single enemy, you'd be like "Well poo poo dude I wanted to see someone go to town on this game." Thats how I feel about moTHE loving POKERAP

Avskum
Jul 27, 2009

:smugfrog:
Yes finally Pokémon is over, bring on TAS-bot

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
TAS block HOIP :gary:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007