Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
I'm smoking a cigar and drinking Flor de Cana 18 at work waiting for the pub to shut so I can do a load of coke and watch the UFC in the front bar.

Edit:123AD Mug Nuadat defeats the High King of Ireland, Conn of the Hundred Battles proving that Irish kings had cooler names than British ones.

StoneOfShame fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

May as well go to the whole hog: Kinnock was the worst Labour leader since Ramsey "split the party" MacDonald.

Side note, gently caress all of you with nothing better to do on a Saturday night than have a slap fight with Pissflaps.

This is the first saturday in... i think months where I haven't had a demo or political meeting to go to. This is my idea of a relaxing night in.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pissflaps posted:

I'm not clear about why there would necessarily be a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic following Brexit - the Common Travel Area is separate and Ireland isn't in Schengen.

Couldn't enhanced checks be put in place in and out of Northern Ireland to make up for it?

If the UK remains in the single market that'll work fine. But if we don't and there are now import duties to be paid on goods taken between Ireland and the UK a border enforcement becomes necessary doesn't it

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cerv posted:

If the UK remains in the single market that'll work fine. But if we don't and there are now import duties to be paid on goods taken between Ireland and the UK a border enforcement becomes necessary doesn't it

Not meaning to grill you on it but what were you talkin' about RE: Corbyn and Kinnock's position on the ballot?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

TinTower posted:

The Irish government have stated on multiple occasions "we won't join until the UK does". Ireland has a permanent derogation from the Treaty of Amsterdam (which incorporates the Schengen Treaty into the Treaty on European Union) due to the situation of us being stupid isolationist fuckers.

The Northern Ireland situation has made this sensible for Northern Ireland and Ireland; If Ireland were to join Schengen they'd have to put up a Schengen outer border in Northern Ireland. They've been sitting out because the UK obviously didn't want to join Schengen. It was never happening unless the UK joined.

Luckily the UK has completely disregarded this complexity that lead to the maintenance of the Common Travel Area in the first place, and Ireland will be free to join Schengen since the CTA will, after Brexit, consist of exactly one state. The CTA is not going to survive Brexit unless freedom of movement stays.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

forkboy84 posted:

May as well go to the whole hog: Kinnock was the worst Labour leader since Ramsey "split the party" MacDonald.

Side note, gently caress all of you with nothing better to do on a Saturday night than have a slap fight with Pissflaps.

We are posting on the something awful dot com (a 1990s internet comedy site) forums, do you really, sincerely, expect us to be above this?

Xmas Pterodactyl
Oct 22, 2007
If the PLP think Corbyn supporters will simply suck it up and vote 'lesser of two evils' Labour, then they'll be disappointed. I can easily see those who have newly joined Labour and those who have rejoined Labour supporting some like the Greens out of protest, as well as throwing all of their new found political activism behind them. I mean, I'm personally not a big fan of the Greens (particularly after Bennet's terrible GE 2015 interview), but I can see them capitalising on Corbyn being ousted and potentially getting their act together after in influx of left activists. The Scottish Green's benefited from a similar influx after the Yes campaign (though they had to contend with the SNP). I also reckon there's a considerable number of old left voters who had been voting Labour out of the 'lesser of two evils' logic who may no longer be so inclined to do so after they unceremoniously oust the first leader with a proper left platform in decades.

Thanks in part to protesting against the Iraq war being the first major political event I engaged with, I have never voted Labour at a General Election before. Electing a leader who voted for the Iraq war will guarantee that will not change.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Pissflaps posted:

I'm not clear about why there would necessarily be a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic following Brexit - the Common Travel Area is separate and Ireland isn't in Schengen.

Couldn't enhanced checks be put in place in and out of Northern Ireland to make up for it?

EU citizens would continue to have the right to settle in Ireland.

To "take back control of immigration", you'd have to have a hard border, otherwise Poley McPoleFace can just settle in Dundalk and be able to just wander across the border into Newry.

Which is fine by me but not by the 52% of knuckle-draggers in this country.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Nobody has said "The Troubles" will be replayed in the exact same fashion as before. But you'd be crazy not to think that there won't be a concerted political push for Irish unification and nobody knows how that would play out. Let us not forget that "lol Brexit that won't happen" turned into Jo Cox being gunned down in the street by a fascist, leave winning the referendum, and a massive rise in hate crime and racist abuse. So I'm afraid that I don't find "lol you guys are just scaremongering it'll all be ok" a very convincing argument to make wrt. the NI situation.

Again, you're going to have to explain how and why a concerted political push for Irish unification will reignite the troubles or lead to the "utter carnage" the original tweet envisaged. Forgive me for not finding "well sometimes people are wrong, so maybe you're wrong" a very convincing argument.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Yeah, the current situation can still exist if freedom of movement stays. Norway, Iceland and Switzerland are in Schengen without being in the EU, after all.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Oberleutnant posted:

This is the first saturday in... i think months where I haven't had a demo or political meeting to go to. This is my idea of a relaxing night in.

Hope you at least noticed the books I recommended you.

vodkat posted:

We are posting on the something awful dot com (a 1990s internet comedy site) forums, do you really, sincerely, expect us to be above this?

We've all done it. I've done it plenty. It's still really rubbish to read when you're not one of the people arguing with him about the same 3 things.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Hope you at least noticed the books I recommended you.

forkboy84 posted:

Anthony Beevor's The Battle for Spain was good as a general history of the conflict. Very easy read and from what I remember the reviews by historians were generally favourable.

I've not read them (though I've got one in my stack of things to read) but Murray Bookchin did 2 books on the anarchist movement in Spain, To Remember Spain: The Anarchist And Syndicalist Revolution Of 1936 & The Spanish Anarchists: The Heroic Years 1868–1936. Obviously can't give you a personal recommendation there, but I either own them or keep meaning to get them so I must have read good things about them at some point. There's also We The Anarchists! which is a history of the FAI. Fairly sure all 3 of those would be available from AK Press.
Yep! Thanks. I've already ordered one of them

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

TinTower posted:

The lack of a physical border between the North and the South is important to the security of both the Irish and British states as it provides the Irish minority of Northern Ireland the freedom of movement within the entirety of their cultural home, a linchpin of the Good Friday Agreement.

Indeed, it's why the reason why the Irish withdrew their application to join the EEC after Le Grande Non; they didn't want any more border controls than the domestic situation required.

A change in the border arrangement and a roll back on cross border initiatives will undoubtedly resolve in a more robust nationalism which had arguable slid into a complacent political rut in the last few years with nationalist voter turnout falling, but the troubles where not solely motivated by a nationalist desire for a united Ireland but where driven by an unjust state and sectarian institutions that have largely been dismantled.

A resurgence of nationalist sentiment does not a neo-troubles make

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Bryter posted:

Again, you're going to have to explain how and why a concerted political push for Irish unification will reignite the troubles or lead to the "utter carnage" the original tweet envisaged. Forgive me for not finding "well sometimes people are wrong, so maybe you're wrong" a very convincing argument.

Where are you from ?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

He's the best at what he does, bub. :(

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Bryter posted:

Again, you are the only person to mention "the troubles". The fact is that nobody knows what the post-Brexit NI/ROI border situation will look like so both sides will be making strong claims regardless of their likelihood and just like in Scotland over Indyref or the UK over EURef this will be very divisive. What I think is certain is that the concerns of the Northern Irish will be secondary to the UK government given that it will have too much already on its plate over Brexit and the pro-Brexit English pretty much don't give a poo poo. Can I prove it'll be a disaster? Do I know exactly what this disaster will look like? No. But these are the kind of conditions that disasters thrive in.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Again, you are the only person to mention "the troubles". The fact is that nobody knows what the post-Brexit NI/ROI border situation will look like so both sides will be making strong claims regardless of their likelihood and just like in Scotland over Indyref or the UK over EURef this will be very divisive. What I think is certain is that the concerns of the Northern Irish will be secondary to the UK government given that it will have too much already on its plate over Brexit and the pro-Brexit English pretty much don't give a poo poo. Can I prove it'll be a disaster? Do I know exactly what this disaster will look like? No. But these are the kind of conditions that disasters thrive in.

It's Northern Ireland. You already know what a disaster is going to look like and that's exploding cars.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, if leaving the EU means that the UK attempts to start up a domestic motor company again that would probably be the case.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Captain Fargle posted:

It's Northern Ireland. You already know what a disaster is going to look like and that's exploding cars.

I'm not convinced the old IRA skillsets/supply chains are anywhere near operational. I wouldn't be surprised at young angry men fighting and killing each other in drunken brawls and a big dose of sectarian intimidation and vandalism though.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/BestoftheMail/status/751883471275032576

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

People are aware that Sinn Fein and the SDLP have not abandoned the desire for a unified Irish state aren't they? A change in the border arrangement will strengthen nationalist movements but both parties are committed to peaceful political resolution of the constitutional question and acknowledge the consent the principle as a cornerstone of a potential reunited Ireland - it will poke the constitutional can of worms but this will by no means lead to bloodshed based on the contemporary political climate.

It may lead to more bullish political debate and reignite a debate on constitutional matters at a time when northern politics have arguably begun shifting away from the constitutional question but its not going to lead to bombs going off in the streets

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Northern Ireland is not only bombs and balaclavas and if you honestly think that's all there is it you are dumb as gently caress

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

ukle posted:

John Major, who had the whole press after him like Corbyn has now
This is completely wrong - in the lead up to the '92 election, the right wing press was very supportive of Major and very anti-Kinnock; these two front pages are rather infamous:

It was only after Black Wednesday and the sleaze scandals that Major started taking real heat.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 9, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kustomkarkommando posted:

Northern Ireland is not only bombs and balaclavas and if you honestly thick that's all there is it you are dumb as gently caress
It's also Bushmills and basaltic columns.

A land of things that begin with B.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

jre posted:

Where are you from ?

Belfast.

No, I'm not the only person to mention the troubles, the guy whose tweets were posted to set this all off talked hysterically about how English people should worry about the impact of Brexit in NI because of the habit of Irish political problems to travel "to people in London and Dublin, in Birmingham and in Monaghan".

Captain Fargle posted:

Yeah, just like when power sharing broke down a few years after the GFA and the peace process totally collap- oh wait no it didn't.

e:

I'm not convinced the old IRA skillsets/supply chains are anywhere near operational. I wouldn't be surprised at young angry men fighting and killing each other in drunken brawls and a big dose of sectarian intimidation and vandalism though.

hahaha "okay, maybe they won't start bombing each other but imagine the bar fights!!"

On the bright side, maybe we can stave off the economic impact of Brexit by travelling to the end of the rainbow.

Bryter fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 9, 2016

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Bryter posted:

Yeah, just like when power sharing broke down a few years after the GFA and the peace process totally collap- oh wait no it didn't.

I'm being flippant about Llamas' saying he's not sure what a disaster in NI would be like. I'm not actually saying it's going to cause an increase in car bombings.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

I don't understand your cast iron confidence in what is still a fragile peace. Particularly when a disagreement about how often the union flag should be flown led to weeks of rioting ?

Putting border checks back in is going to be controversial as gently caress.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

jre posted:

I don't understand your cast iron confidence in what is still a fragile peace. Particularly when a disagreement about how often the union flag should be flown led to weeks of rioting ?

Rioting is not the troubles though and talking about a return of violence to Northerners implicitly means bombs and assassinations and on street mobilisation of paramilitaries

Honestly drunken loyalist jumping on police vans ranks as a normal occurance

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

jre posted:

I guess I just think that waiting to see if controls are introduced, and what the nature of those controls is before speculating about what the reaction will be seems sensible?

And I wouldn't call my confidence cast iron, but I do think you're underestimating the robustness of the peace if you think the flag riots were a serious threat to it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pissflaps posted:

I rarely gamble.

Right now i'd say it's 50/50, I could believe either scenario. It seems precedent is on the side of an incumbent leader requiring nominations.

Those that drafted the rules probably never considered the possibility that a sitting leader, having lost the confidence of virtually all the MPs in his party, would refuse to quit, let alone stand in a leadership contest.

It is a genuinely strange situation that as far as I know is unprecedented in UK politics and possibly world politics, where the leader of a major party is supported by a clear majority of that party's members but not by their MPs. What's even weirder is the Tories *have* anticipated such a scenario - their rules do have a binding vote of confidence mechanism (a big part of this current situation is that Labour have no provision for a VoC) which does exclude a leader who loses one from the subsequent election.

For extra fun right now in the US we have a presidential nominee not supported by his supposed party too. It's almost as if a permanent political class is a fundamentally unstable situation in a system that at least pretends to be democratic.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Cerv posted:

Would it actually be legal under EU rules for Ireland to have a customs union with a non-single-market UK? Because someone's jokingly suggested that as a solution but with an independent Scotland, and it might actually be a way out of this.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Prescott is the top story on BBC news right now.

Can we have him back in the shadow cabinet?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Bryter posted:

I guess I just think that waiting to see if controls are introduced, and what the nature of those controls is before speculating about what the reaction will be seems sensible?

And I wouldn't call my confidence cast iron, but I do think you're underestimating the robustness of the peace if you think the flag riots were a serious threat to it.

My point was I think the border being introduced is a threat, given the level of disorder caused by something as utterly banal as how often a flag gets flown.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Bryter posted:

hahaha "okay, maybe they won't start bombing each other but imagine the bar fights!!"

I think you're missing the loving point. Or should we be dismissing the increase in crime associated with the toxic atmosphere around the Brexit campaign because its not "proper organised" terrorism?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
So if the PLP loopholes Corbyn out of the contest what are the chances of Moementum and the Unions just forming a new party? Also how long till the labour party is extinct?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I think it's probably a bit daft to pronounce from on high exactly how events in northern Ireland are going to shake out if you've not actually seen, experienced or understood events in northern Ireland up till now.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Ian Paisley Jr was suggesting that Unionists get Irish passports.

If he's suggesting that, you kind of think a bungled Brexit would result in Irish unification in the best case scenario.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Crowsbeak posted:

So if the PLP loopholes Corbyn out of the contest what are the chances of Moementum and the Unions just forming a new party? Also how long till the labour party is extinct?

Zero chance that the unions would endorse forming a new party.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

In a not too distant future

*Labour splits*
*PLP sue for the labour name*
*2020 GE won by the newly formed JEREMY'S JAM ARMY party*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

jre posted:

My point was I think the border being introduced is a threat, given the level of disorder caused by something as utterly banal as how often a flag gets flown.

Flags are not banal in Northern Ireland

• Locked thread