Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

mr. stefan posted:

Jolyne's power isn't ropes, its giving literally zero fucks whatsoever. Stone Free is an accessory.

She still kills multiple people with strings, it's pretty hardcore.

I keep saying, if you think a power is useless, you're not using it creatively enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

At some point the team's gonna have to descend a cliff and while everyone else is slowly, nervously feeling out tenuous handholds in the slippery face, Slipknot glides down on his perfectly tied rappelling harness and laaaaaughs.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

McSpanky posted:

At some point the team's gonna have to descend a cliff and while everyone else is slowly, nervously feeling out tenuous handholds in the slippery face, Slipknot glides down on his perfectly tied rappelling harness and laaaaaughs.

Every other scene in the film:

"The tunnel is blocked by a really big rock!"
"Oh boy I could set up a series of block and tackles with my ROPE!"
"Nah we'll just get the lizard guy to shove it out of the way."

"Oh no there's guys shooting at us!"
"I will lasso the chandelier above their head and knock them out cold with my ROPE!"
"Nah Deadshot already shot them dead while you were talking."

Pretty much this guy:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If Suicide Squad sticks to the WB's current standard, the villain is you, the audience.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Every other scene in the film:

"The tunnel is blocked by a really big rock!"
"Oh boy I could set up a series of block and tackles with my ROPE!"
"Nah we'll just get the lizard guy to shove it out of the way."

"Oh no there's guys shooting at us!"
"I will lasso the chandelier above their head and knock them out cold with my ROPE!"
"Nah Deadshot already shot them dead while you were talking."

Pretty much this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFuMpYTyRjw

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Equeen posted:

I hope he's the former. I can't see him as Dick.

I hope it's the latter because anyone other than Ron Perlman or Manu Bennett as Deathstroke is a bad decision :colbert:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I want Deathstroke played by Arnold loving Schwarzeneggar. And it wasn't until after I wrote about it that I even remembered his nickname is the Terminator. I just think Arnie would be awesome.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

greatn posted:

I want Deathstroke played by Arnold loving Schwarzeneggar. And it wasn't until after I wrote about it that I even remembered his nickname is the Terminator. I just think Arnie would be awesome.

He'd be good in a live action version of that animated movie Son of Batman. Though he'd be the only good part of that movie.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

greatn posted:

If Suicide Squad sticks to the WB's current standard, the villain is you, the audience.
Funny Games DC? I'm down

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

greatn posted:

I mean, keeping in mind that the entire premise is the "good guys" are using human slavery to accomplish nebulous goals, yeah.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

broken clock opsec posted:

I mean, keeping in mind that the entire premise is the "good guys" are using human slavery to accomplish nebulous goals, yeah.

Uhh, they're all un-fixable murderers and whatnot.

Also, The government is not the good guys. It's the bad guys using the badder guys to maintain the status quo. Joker's gonna be the 'good guy' in a meta sense.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 10, 2016

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

McSpanky posted:

If Suicide Squad is true to its roots, everyone's the villain.

I'm sure SMG will write an elaborate treatise in this very thread explaining how the real villain is market capitalism.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

David Ayer at work.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
International Trailer #2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fep4KiwyQuk

And regarding Scott Eastwood the "spoilers" floating around say he's Tom Tressler aka Nemesis and the one that takes over the Squad at the end of the movie

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Xealot posted:

I'm sure SMG will write an elaborate treatise in this very thread explaining how the real villain is market capitalism.

Given the very concept of the film, I doubt he'll have to reach very far.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Huh, curious way to promote Suicide Squad here in Mexico

https://twitter.com/WBPictures_Mx/status/752256546692689921

I think they've done the same thing on other countries though.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Schwarzwald posted:

Given the very concept of the film, I doubt he'll have to reach very far.

Yeah, it's true. Prison-industrial complex, churning out people-as-commodities to be used disposably like drones. Etc etc. It's in there, definitely.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

McSpanky posted:

If Suicide Squad is true to its roots, everyone's the villain.

I hope during the climax every Squad member gets to explain how they too had a nefarious plan to take over the planet/turn everyone into lizards/hang everyone all movie long.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

I hope during the climax every Squad member gets to explain how they too had a nefarious plan to take over the planet/turn everyone into lizards/hang everyone all movie long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0O5OPlDXGg

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Grendels Dad posted:

If only they had someone on the team who knew how to tie a noose!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

If only they had someone on the team who knew how to tie a noose!

It would be hilarious if Slipknot's gimmick becomes relevant the immediate scene after he gets killed off

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I hope he survives the entire movie, but they just never come across any rope. He just spends the entire movie complaining about how he could totally get them out this jam if only they hadn't forgotten to pack his bag of rope.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Slugworth posted:

I hope he survives the entire movie, but they just never come across any rope. He just spends the entire movie complaining about how he could totally get them out this jam if only they hadn't forgotten to pack his bag of rope.

This but an after credit sequence where the team is about to get caught but then at the last second Wonder Woman cameos and throws her lasso at him which lets him clown on/incapacitate Batman/Deathstroke/Green Lantern simultaneously in like five seconds so they can escape.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Oh, man. Give me just one line of Slipknot getting rope envy from Wonder Woman :allears:

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Oh, man. Give me just one line of Slipknot getting rope envy from Wonder Woman :allears:

"She can tie me up anytime!" :heysexy:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

So it looks like Jason Fuchs (Ice Age: Continental Drift, Pan) didn't pen the screenplay for the upcoming Wonder Woman movie. Instead it was written by Geoff Johns and Allan Heinberg, with the story by Heinberg and Zack Snyder. http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160711006437/en/Warner-Bros.-Pictures-Brings-Heroes-Magic-Myth

Nice.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well nerds automatically hate it now

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

greatn posted:

Well nerds automatically hate it now

I checked a few boards and that is exactly what is happening

:suicide:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Are there any specific runs of comics where Geoff Johns specifically hosed up and pissed off fans? Can someone summarize that in like a few sentences?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He made Barry Allen the Flash and put Cyborg on justice league as a founding member.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

Are there any specific runs of comics where Geoff Johns specifically hosed up and pissed off fans? Can someone summarize that in like a few sentences?

He wrote Blackest Night, which is a loving abomination and almost certainly where the backlash against DC doing "grimdark" things stemmed from. He also completely sidelined all the interesting Green Lanterns in favor of the really boring one, though that's less of an issue.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

His Diana has REALLY improved since the 2011. I was impressed when he started reading some older Wonder Woman comics. In retrospect, it was probably in preparation for the WW movie screenplay.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Basebf555 posted:

He's more like a fount of mediocrity. It's not so much writing trainwrecks as drowning readers in a sea of really dull edgy comics.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
To be fair, is Snyder the reason they are bitching, no Johns.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Johns is pretty good when he has a single character he can focus on and boil down to their most iconic characteristics. His run on Wally Flash was fantastic as were the first few years of his GL run, even his Barry Flash was good before he had to scrap it for the New 52 reboot. He does suffer greatly when left unchecked to play with his toys but I am fairly confident he had some restrictions on the WW script. Also he overcompensates a lot, like when he tried to show everyone that Aqaman was badass by having everyone in his comic talk about how badass he was.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

He wrote Blackest Night, which is a loving abomination and almost certainly where the backlash against DC doing "grimdark" things stemmed from.

I don't think this is entirely where it stems from, although Blackest Night did have a few choice gross "shock" moments that will probably be posted whenever people ask about DC grimdarkness.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

He wrote Blackest Night, which is a loving abomination and almost certainly where the backlash against DC doing "grimdark" things stemmed from. He also completely sidelined all the interesting Green Lanterns in favor of the really boring one, though that's less of an issue.

I remember reading about Blackest Night, it sounded pretty stupid, yea. Was he involved with that whole New 52 thing? I tried to get into that but it was so dull that I couldn't stay with it more than a few months.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Those people are literal scum. Movie is gonna own.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
With Famuyiwa on board, there's at least a chance that they'll actually go for something more like Fast & Furious without cars with The Flash.

Now all that's left to surmise is who gets Cyborg. The tease in Beavis was actually one of my favorite parts of the movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cyborg is rumored to be a character in The Flash too. Perhaps they will be playing up that they are best buds, being the two youngest members, kinda like Cyborg and Shazam in the New 52 Justice League or Cyborg and Beast Boy on Teen Titans Go.

I don't know how grimdark Darkest Night can be when the thing I remember the most from it was Kyle Rayner's dead girlfriend flying around in a fridge as a Black Lantern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Geoff Johns is just super mediocre and can't write interesting characters or stories.

A script only write partially by him could be good, we'll see. :shrug:

• Locked thread