Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Oh that may be. I haven't paid attention to them since Michael Turner died, which was... Probably about 10-15 years ago now.

It's been 7 years and the company really should have died with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I've been lurking for about a week before getting my account yesterday, so I hope that it's ok if I just barge in and start posting here.

Anyway, I recently got back into comics after being mostly out of them since around when New 52 started. I set up a pull list with a local comic shop yesterday, which is something I've never done before, nor have I ever regularly visited a comic shop before.
I'm feeling a bit of excitement over everything right now, and it's a good feeling.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

I've been lurking for about a week before getting my account yesterday, so I hope that it's ok if I just barge in and start posting here.

Anyway, I recently got back into comics after being mostly out of them since around when New 52 started. I set up a pull list with a local comic shop yesterday, which is something I've never done before, nor have I ever regularly visited a comic shop before.
I'm feeling a bit of excitement over everything right now, and it's a good feeling.

Barge away. Also note that even though we complain about comics here we do love the stupid beautiful things so don't think we are being too negative.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Roth posted:

What's on your pull list.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Madkal posted:

Barge away. Also note that even though we complain about comics here we do love the stupid beautiful things so don't think we are being too negative.

Don't worry, I love to complain about things I don't like.

Toxxupation posted:

What's on your pull list.

Right now I've got:

Astonishing Ant-Man
Autmnlands
Batman
Bounty
Carnage
Darth Vader
Green Arrow
Hellblazer
Moon Knight
Nightwing
Sheriff of Babylon
Star Wars
Teen Titans
Titans
Vision

I forgot to add Spider-Man/Deadpool though, so I'll add that as well when I go in next Wednesday. Not sure how far ahead I should add upcoming series, but I do plan to add Doom Patrol, the upcoming Raven mini-series, Cage, All-Star Batman, and Blue Beetle as well.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Pretend I sang a little song here called "You Should Be Reading Superman"

And welcome to bss

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think comic shops place their orders by the month or something? Rhyno or one of the other comic shop workers will correct me.

So I guess just make sure you're that far ahead of the release so they can secure one for you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

I think comic shops place their orders by the month or something? Rhyno or one of the other comic shop workers will correct me.

So I guess just make sure you're that far ahead of the release so they can secure one for you.

We order roughly 3 months ahead of release.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Travis343 posted:

Pretend I sang a little song here called "You Should Be Reading Superman"

And welcome to bss

I've been reading it digitally. I like it a lot so far, but I want to limit how many physical comics I get because of space.

I'll probably switch to getting it physically when Darth Vader ends in a few months.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Roth posted:

I've been reading it digitally. I like it a lot so far, but I want to limit how many physical comics I get because of space.

I'll probably switch to getting it physically when Darth Vader ends in a few months.

Oh, if you're reading it digitally, I think that counts as being on your 'list'. I think 'pull list' sort of means 'whatever comics I'm reading every month' since digital is blurring the edges.

What else you readin' digitally? Detective is real good.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Travis343 posted:

Oh, if you're reading it digitally, I think that counts as being on your 'list'. I think 'pull list' sort of means 'whatever comics I'm reading every month' since digital is blurring the edges.

What else you readin' digitally? Detective is real good.

Well:

Ms. Marvel, International Iron Man, Black Panther, Spidey, Amazing Spider-Man, Poe Dameron, Doctor Fate, Green Lanterns, Totally Awesome Hulk, Spider-Man: 2099, Captain America: Sam Wilson, The Ultimates, Contest of Champions, Drax, Squadron Supreme, Nighthawk, Godzilla: Oblivion, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Flash, Aquaman, Detective Comics, Civil War 2: Gods of War, Southern Bastards, Han Solo, Scooby: Apocalypse, Deadpool V Gambit, The Flintstones, and Justice League.

I decided to go physical with the comics I'm either really liking, or I'm an absolute sucker for through better or worse like Teen Titans. I plan on giving all the new Rebirth stuff a fair shot first before dropping them, though I'm not expecting a whole lot from Red Hood and the Outlaws.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

I'm not expecting a whole lot from Red Hood and the Outlaws.

You may be new, but you're going to fit in just fine.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I like it when. We get new goons. Makes it feel like the two things I like, comics and this forum, aren't just part of a dying medium.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Madkal posted:

I like it when. We get new goons. Makes it feel like the two things I like, comics and this forum, aren't just part of a dying medium.

Nah, they are.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, I'm only here because I'm a hipster and ironically like obsolete retro stuff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you like digital comics don't switch to dead tree versions. Just stick with the ones and zeros.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I'm in Baltimore for the first time since I was like 22, and I have to say that this might be the most under-appreciated city in the Acela region.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

Just put wicked hate on ignore so you don't accidentally respond to her posts between bannings/ probations and you'll be fine.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Soonmot posted:

Just put wicked hate on ignore so you don't accidentally respond to her posts between bannings/ probations and you'll be fine.

yeah don't do this since ignore is dumb and most trolls are the best posters.

i also post in D&D alot so take that with a grain of salt.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Ignore is wonderful and this forum is demonstrably better when she isn't posting.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You guys are so harsh. It's not like she's Doogz.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

wait...
wait...
when did Doogz disappear?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

What's a Doogz?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

What's a Doogz?

Grant Morrison

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Squizzle posted:

I'm in Baltimore for the first time since I was like 22, and I have to say that this might be the most under-appreciated city in the Acela region.

Does it still smell like rotting meat?

Mr Hootington posted:

wait...
wait...

Too busy getting SO loving HIGH YOU GUYS OH MY GOD LETS COMICS WHILE HIGH to keep up with the forums I guess.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Mr Hootington posted:

yeah don't do this since ignore is dumb and most trolls are the best posters.

i also post in D&D alot so take that with a grain of salt.

I have never used the ignore function. Seems like it would be annoying to read a bunch of responses to something you can't see? Anyway. I was all excited that BSS had a bunch of activity lately but it is just Wickidhate whickedhatin'.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sporklift posted:

I have never used the ignore function. Seems like it would be annoying to read a bunch of responses to something you can't see? Anyway. I was all excited that BSS had a bunch of activity lately but it is just Wickidhate whickedhatin'.

At some point we're all wickedhatin' on something.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Tell ya what I ain't wyckedhatin' on... Them pokemans. Our bartender at work set up some poke trap in our back room and all these nerds came in wanting tables... Sure, but ya gotta buy something. Anyone set this thing up at their store?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sporklift posted:

Tell ya what I ain't wyckedhatin' on... Them pokemans. Our bartender at work set up some poke trap in our back room and all these nerds came in wanting tables... Sure, but ya gotta buy something. Anyone set this thing up at their store?

Yup, it's like $1 a day to do it so we're gonna do it every friday & saturday.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I have no opinion on Pokemon Go but the only stories I hear about it make it seem like a bad idea.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I have no opinion on Pokemon Go but the only stories I hear about it make it seem like a bad idea.

Someone is 100% totally absolutely going to get killed for trespassing but hey, let the kids have their fun.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
People are getting outside, walking, and occasionally interacting with new people, so that's kind of nice. I'm certainly getting more exercise, even if it's light. And it's been a remarkable team building exercise at work (I work at a cell phone store, so everyone jumped on pretty much immediately).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Someone is 100% totally absolutely going to get killed for trespassing but hey, let the kids have their fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L8qImFABck&t=157s

Chaos Hippy posted:

People are getting outside, walking, and occasionally interacting with new people, so that's kind of nice. I'm certainly getting more exercise, even if it's light. And it's been a remarkable team building exercise at work (I work at a cell phone store, so everyone jumped on pretty much immediately).

Yeah, all that's fine, but I also hear about people getting shoved, yelled at or having nerds loiter in their place of business waving their arms like morons.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Lurdiak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L8qImFABck&t=157s

Yeah, all that's fine, but I also hear about people getting shoved, yelled at or having nerds loiter in their place of business waving their arms like morons.

Yeah, there's a bit of that, but it'll settle down after the initial furore passes.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Well you could definitely tell who was there for the Pokemon. Awkward as gently caress motherfuckers. It was kinda funny. Wonder if they were stoked that we are a sorta Asianish bar?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

i did it at the grocery store. laid it in the top there and walked around. if it buzzed caught the pokemon and moved on.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Mr Hootington posted:

wait...
wait...

Like, two years ago now, dog. He ain't been here for ages.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

END ME SCOOB posted:

Like, two years ago now, dog. He ain't been here for ages.

My hypothesis was Doogz=Wickedhate

:itwaspoo:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Ah, I missed the joke. (But nah, he's around in obvious places, just not here.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Pokemon go is amazing for so many different reasons. Like, I guess we all knew intellectually that AR was getting close to the tipping point where all of a sudden it would work, and be popular, and people would just start interacting with imaginary things in the real world, but... this? This is how it happens?

The world has gotten noticeably stranger since Thursday and I'm enjoying the new paradigm immensely.

• Locked thread