Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Only you can save the princess, Waluigi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
jesus typing that name took like 20 seconds, speedrun is already ruined

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Some top quality WAAAAAHHHHHs coming from the audience.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Strikers is a pretty amazing game for what it does with Nintendo characters.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Very Nice

Avskum
Jul 27, 2009

:smugfrog:

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's been around for a while. You can probably blame Brawl in the Family for it.

Some quick googling tells me this is a poorly drawn webcomic

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
So what determines start time anyways? I've seen people start at the the screen that lets you select ng, i've seen people start when you get control of your character, this is prolly first time I saw a start from a system reset at this event.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
waaaah picks up really well over the mic

or they're screaming it every time

omggggg

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

:perfect:

This has been a great GDQ. I've got a huge backlog to go through, too.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Wacha no

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Strikers is a pretty amazing game for what it does with Nintendo characters.
There was going to be a third one that had like wrestling moves and poo poo, but Nintendo vetoed it

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

exquisite

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Thanks everyone :tipshat:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Excellent

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ArbitraryC posted:

So what determines start time anyways? I've seen people start at the the screen that lets you select ng, i've seen people start when you get control of your character, this is prolly first time I saw a start from a system reset at this event.

It's pretty arbitrary, but as long as everyone who runs the game is using the same start time it doesn't really matter.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Avskum posted:

Some quick googling tells me this is a poorly drawn webcomic

The guy's art talent actually dramatically increases between when it starts and where it ends up like five years later. BitF owns.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

"Still not as good as this"

He's right you know

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rorus Raz posted:

There was going to be a third one that had like wrestling moves and poo poo, but Nintendo vetoed it

that's poo poo the soccer game was awesome

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

oh poo poo I forgot about this, that was awesome

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
So what are the chances they actually raise the $100,000 or so in donations over the next three hours?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

So was the Super Metroid run good this year?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

MarioRPG is so weird. Like, fever dream weird. I get the impression they had two Squaresoft game designers locked in a room with three pounds of cocaine and gave them two days to storyboard the entire game, weird.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

Whoever sets the record first, I guess. I think it's more common with older games to have weird as heck start times.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Zivilyn Bane posted:

So what are the chances they actually raise the $100,000 or so in donations over the next three hours?

53.6%

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

Best one they've ever done

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ometeotl posted:

Don't spoil yourself on it and just watch it

It's special

Avskum
Jul 27, 2009

:smugfrog:

SWMadness posted:

The guy's art talent actually dramatically increases between when it starts and where it ends up like five years later. BitF owns.

Alright, I just glanced at the first results shown. Shouldn't be so quick to judge I guess

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ometeotl posted:

better than the previous years combined

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

MarioRPG is so weird. Like, fever dream weird. I get the impression they had two Squaresoft game designers locked in a room with three pounds of cocaine and gave them two days to storyboard the entire game, weird.

It's extremely good and I wish there had been more Squaresoft/Nintendo collaborations like it

The best Mario games have been the really weird ones like SMRPG and SMB2

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Ometeotl posted:

It was a bloodbath. 3/4 of the runners died

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
let me tell you the story of the guy who leveled up to the cap before the hammer bros

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Ometeotl posted:

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

frank.club posted:

let me tell you the story of the guy who leveled up to the cap before the hammer bros

:gonk: why would you do that to yourself?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Sad I missed it.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

beep by grandpa posted:

Thanks everyone :tipshat:

Also the GDQ Twitter retweeted someone posting that image so if that wasn't you then you got ripped off.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Kinda crazy to think just 4 years ago AGDQ only made $150,000 and was still in a speedrunner's basement. I think.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aishlinn posted:

:gonk: why would you do that to yourself?

It wasn't me hahahnim not insane

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Mario's pantomiming in Mario RPG is why this game has the best version of Mario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Mario RPG is so fascinating to look back on because as far as the games go, it was the first time anyone attempted telling a real storyline within that setting. It's got a lot of stuff that seems archaic now but really it's more because of how little they had to work with for the franchise. It's aged, kinda bad? Not entirely, but you do have to go into it with respect to how loving insane it was that it existed at the time, and how bizarre it STILL comes across for much different reasons.

• Locked thread