Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

fnordcircle posted:

Why are people seeing so much of Alten Ashley? I feel like I'm missing something. Tough hate is nice and all.

Warjacks are more common, and repair was buffed, so taking that away is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Don't you have to make sure at least a few troopers in the unit remain alive? He can't bring back dudes in a unit that was wiped off the table right?

Also why the book in mk3? That thing is garbage.

Correct, you need dudes alive. However, the Idrian officer is spaced at max 8" from the front/bulk of the unit, and the guide is 8" back from him. So quite often the guide is standing behind my caster or some other very difficult spot to get to. I havent had anyone even come close to removing the whole unit, too much distance and LOS blocking in the list.

The book is not garbage, although it certainly is not as good as mk2. Its primary uses are LOS blocking to HR, anti spells to stop zany assassinations, and giving the idrians continuous fire on their ranged attacks when appropriate. The main change I am considering is dropping hierophant for a wrack, as the +2 range and healing arent really valuable in the list. That frees up 2 points, which doesnt do much, but I could combine it with taking out another piece and turn that into a more valuable solo or something.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

fnordcircle posted:

Why are people seeing so much of Alten Ashley? I feel like I'm missing something. Tough hate is nice and all.

Along with countering healing, his monster hunter ability gives him 3+d3 damage to a column of your choice against warbeasts, so he has a reasonable chance of knocking out something's spirit or mind from great distances. He can do that solo against lights or anything with a small spiral. I had a game against trolls in which I had alten ashley, kell, and lynus and edrea + commodore cannon. He didn't get to do a lot of forcing that game :getin:

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Khisanth Magus posted:

I'm going to be picking up a mk2 bb at a discount. The manticore is becoming discordia, and the Chimera is being converted into an aspis. Sadly nothing to do with the griffon but make a second griffon.

If you're going through the PP parts store, I'd make the griffon a gorgon. You can get there for the following total parts: aspis right arm, aspis left arm, aspis head, gorgon head. I works out to about $10 in parts + shipping. I'm not convinced on the gorgon being better than the griffon, but if you want flexibility, it gives you something else to go with.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Spiderdrake posted:

Doesn't it also stop force fields regenerating? I mean, I know magical muscle wolves punching purple dragons punching realism and all but that's just bizarre.

Yup. That's why I suggested the faneknight if you were looking for a shield guard against him. The aspis would lose its phoenix field ability for the next round, and even worse Imperatus loses phoenix protocol. Grievous wounds went from an okay anti-hordes ability to a great all around ability now that it stops tough and works on jacks.

eskimaux
Jun 28, 2007

Hoboskins posted:

I just double checked the journeyman rules and you are right I had forgotten you can't take units until week 3 (been awhile since I participated in one).

1 0 Points Starting Battlegroup Only, No Theme Forces Mangled Metal
2 10 Points Battlegroup Only, No Theme Forces Mangled Metal
3 25 Points Battlegroup, Units, Solos, No Theme Forces Trial by Fire
4 50 Points Battlegroup, Units, Solos, No Theme Forces
(Warcaster/Warlock Swap allowed)
Trial by Fire
5 65 Points Battlegroup, Units, Solos, Battle Engines, Theme Forces Allowed Journey’s End
6 75 Points Battlegroup, Units, Solos, Battle Engines, Theme Forces Allowed Journey’s End

The scenario is mangled metal for the first two weeks so battlegroup only.As for the last pick the witchdoctor has become less useful due to ubiquitous tough, before posse didn't have it native drat editionitus. If you have 5 points left then try to use all 5, sadly you already have one of the best 3 point options and there aren't a ton of two point ones, aside from swamp gobbers. The razorback got a big buff and works quite well with barney, so it is a good choice. Alternatively, Alten isn't bad and neither is Gudrun or Orin Midwinter they are all exactly 5 points. Out of those 3 Alten is the easiest to use so you may want to play it by ear if you are finding everything a bit challenging. Gudrun basically mulches infantry in close combat and Orin has a few tricks that are handy like stopping magic spells going off and shooting lightning.

Hmmm I think I'll go through the first few rounds and make a decision when I've played a number of games. I will probably need more advice after I get smashed to bits on a weekly basis...

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

rkajdi posted:

If you're going through the PP parts store, I'd make the griffon a gorgon. You can get there for the following total parts: aspis right arm, aspis left arm, aspis head, gorgon head. I works out to about $10 in parts + shipping. I'm not convinced on the gorgon being better than the griffon, but if you want flexibility, it gives you something else to go with.

Actually, turns out my MK3 bb indeed came with all the light warjack heads. If the only difference between the gorgon and the chimera is the head and lack of arc nodes, I can just turn the mk2 lights into a gorgon and aspis and be good! This is going to end up being an awesome deal for me. I'm hoping to be able to get the box for $35, but I know for a fact I can get him to at least drop it down to the price of a mk3 bb($40), which would still be a good deal for a caster, a heavy jack kit to turn into discordia, a gorgon, and most of an aspis.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

rkajdi posted:

Yup. That's why I suggested the faneknight if you were looking for a shield guard against him. The aspis would lose its phoenix field ability for the next round, and even worse Imperatus loses phoenix protocol. Grievous wounds went from an okay anti-hordes ability to a great all around ability now that it stops tough and works on jacks.

Venethrax: The cure for what ails you as a Cryx player when everyone is running Trollbloods.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack
Did Alten Ashley get errata'd recently? I am sitting here looking at his card in war room and it doesn't say he can knock damage off columns for a warjack, only a warbeast and I think someone was lamenting that he doesnt work for menoth, but it looks like he does.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
He never did extra damage against Warjacks. The part that matters is that grievous wounds stops repair and only requires him to hit.
If your opponent spent points on repair crews then those points are wasted with Alten Ashley on the table.
If they didn't, he's still a good gun combat solo that can take out other solos, threaten casters due to his high RAT or do a bit of attrition at a safe range.

MK III lists are 70 points + Alten Ashley as far as I'm concerned.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Zwiebel posted:

If your opponent spent points on repair crews then those points are wasted with Alten Ashley on the table.

Unless he has a shield guard.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Played my Zerkova 2 "All wizards, with some doomies and Ruin" list today against Ashlynn. Even under Roulette all he had left after my feat turn was his warcaster. List is pretty good.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
It may just be my meta, but Malekus has proved pretty enjoyable this last week. I'm running what could be considered a gimmick list: everything does fire damage and either has continuous fire or crit continuous fire.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

SERPUS posted:

It may just be my meta, but Malekus has proved pretty enjoyable this last week. I'm running what could be considered a gimmick list: everything does fire damage and either has continuous fire or crit continuous fire.

I hear laughter coming from my Strekhov blister and AK box. Must be my imagination. I mean I didn't even opened them yet :negative:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

You know what's a great way to spend today? Verifying the accuracy and legality of 120 lists!

:suicide:

Edit: At least character restriction is gone .

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm having trouble figuring out what to do for a pairing with my vlad2 list... Here's it.

Vlad2
-Behemoth
-Spriggan
-War dog
Iron fang kovnik
Man-o-war Drakhun
IFP
-UA
Kayazy elims
Kayazy elims
Battle meks (min)
MOW Bombardiers (min)

I think maybe my weakness is things that are immune to non-magical? I don't really know how to address that or what impact those models have since I've never run into them. For a pairing with that weakness somewhat in mind, i'm thinking of one of these 2 lists...

Vlad 3
-Behemoth
-Drago
Iron fang kovnik
Kovnik markov
Kovnik joe
Drakhun
Fenris

Ifp+UA
Winter guard infantry

The second list would revolve around trusting vlad and fenris to be able to clear out the immune models, which I think is reasonable. It'd be nice if there was a cheaper way than aiyanna/holt to put magic on other dudes though, and maybe i could fit that in.

The other list would be...
Irusk2
-Destroyer
-Decimator (subject to change)
-Sylas
Alexia 2
Iron fang kovnik
Kovnik joe
Ifp +UA
Wgi + UA +2 rocketeers
Kayazy elims
Aiyanna/Holt

This list would rely on aiyanna and holt for magical attack and use lots of bodies to scireen them. I dunno about trusting my life to such flimsy models, though!

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated!

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

A&h are p survivable with eirusk if youve got valachev. Blast immune, tough, potentially cover if you put down AoD around them. They can harm a lot safer by being able to target through their screen too. I'd trade both jacks for big B though, he's still not really a great jack caster and big b does everything he wants. Throw a mortar/field gun/marksman in there for a FFE target.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Khador's light cavalry is an aces way to clear incorporeal infantry/solos.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
A pair of Kodiaks are also decent with Irusk/A&H for clouds. Sometimes. When you're not playing Ret or Cygnar or whatever else that ignores rules a;dlkfj;sldkfja;lskdj

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

fnordcircle posted:

A pair of Kodiaks are also decent with Irusk/A&H for clouds. Sometimes. When you're not playing Ret or Cygnar or whatever else that ignores rules a;dlkfj;sldkfja;lskdj

At least they're really self sufficient beatsticks if the clouds aren't important. Mat7 helps them get a loooot of work done, and they hit pretty hard against most factions.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Crossposting my Gatormen Posse from the Oath Thread...

while the actual painting process was very easy, getting to the scheme was not. I planned on doing the back scales like that from the get go, and wanted the skin yellow; that ended up looking awful. Next up, I painted one guy in a very light brown; that ended up looking boring. I finally settled on going all in on the green, but with two different techniques. Sadly, the skin tone isn't as different from the back scales as I would like, but I'm happy with the result.

As for how to paint them, I spraypainted white and put on two more thin white coats to get a very bright white. I then washed the entire model yellow. The back scales then got two green washes and a sepia wash - done! No highlighting needed, the yellow from the very first wash still shines through, I really like the effect. First read that technique here on these forums, someone uses it to paint ork skin.

The actual scales where also washed yellow, then two very thin, almost washlike coats of the lightes green I had lying around (I think army painter goblin green), followed by a green wash. The polearm wood is also a very thinned brown, just one coat, nothing else. I really like this painting style, it's quick and yields good result for people who can't highlight well.

Now that I've got them painted up... any Skorne or Legion casters who run them particularly well? I'm afraid I will just put them in the case for now :/

Luebbi fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 10, 2016

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Luebbi posted:

Crossposting my Gatormen Posse from the Oath Thread...

while the actual painting process was very easy, getting to the scheme was not. I planned on doing the back scales like that from the get go, and wanted the skin yellow; that ended up looking awful. Next up, I painted one guy in a very light brown; that ended up looking boring. I finally settled on going all in on the green, but with two different techniques. Sadly, the skin tone isn't as different from the back scales as I would like, but I'm happy with the result.

As for how to paint them, I spraypainted white and put on two more thin white coats to make them very shiny white. I then washed the entire model yellow. The back scales then got two green washes and a sepia wash - done! No highlighting needed, the yellow from the very first wash still shines through, I really like the effect. First read that technique here on these forums, someone uses it to paint ork skin.

The actual scales where also washed yellow, then two very thin, almost washlike coats of the lightes green I had lying around (I think army painter goblin green), followed by a green wash. The polearm wood is also a very thinned brown, just one coat, nothing else. I really like this painting style, it's quick and yields good result for people who can't highlight well.

Now that I've got them painted up... any Skorne or Legion casters who run them particularly well? I'm afraid I will just put them in the case for now :/

Them be nice gators. I need to get some of those. Maybe when I finished my Khador project, my backlog of Legion, expanded on the Steelheads, and painted that Mk2 BB Trollblood I'getting for 50% off of my FLGS.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Wow, that green is so refreshing looking! Gorgeous

Luebbi posted:

any Legion casters who run them particularly well? I'm afraid I will just put them in the case for now :/

Saeryn can give them a huge armor bonus for holding an objective. Rhyas can give them stealth and on feat turn some delicious back strikes.

SERPUS fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 10, 2016

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Building my list of ret stuff to purchase when I hopefully sell one of my hordes armies. I plan on ordering this from the game store:

Adeptis Rahn
Issyria
House Vyre Heavy Warjack(PP35034) x2
Hypnos Upgrade Kit
Discordia upgrade kit
Heavy Rifle Team x2
House Vyre Electromancers
Stormfall Archers x2
Fane Knight Skeryth Issyen
House Shyeel Artificer x2
Soulless Voictracer
Narn

I also plan on getting the mk2 ret bb he has in stock for at max the price is a mk3 bb and turn the jacks into discordia, an aspis, and a gorgon.

From someone local who is selling some ret models I am getting:
Ossyan
Battle mittens
2 magnetized house shyeel heavies

I already have:
Mk3 bb
Vyros1
Sentinels
Invictors
Halberds
Arcanist x3
Eiryss2
Lanyssa
Scyir
Imperatus
Banshee
House shyeel magister

Anything big I'm overlooking? I should probably get a unit of nyss hunters, but I don't want the official box. I can't find the whfb bits I need for the conversion I wanted to do, so need to figure something else out.

I'm deliberately leaving out the mhsf because I'm not really sure I want to bother with them again.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 10, 2016

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Building my list of ret stuff to purchase when I hopefully sell one of my hordes armies. I plan on ordering this from the game store:

Adeptis Rahn
Issyria
House Vyre Heavy Warjack(PP35034) x2
Hypnos Upgrade Kit
Discordia upgrade kit
Heavy Rifle Team x2
House Vyre Electromancers
Stormfall Archers x2
Fane Knight Skeryth Issyen
House Shyeel Artificer x2
Soulless Voictracer
Narn

I also plan on getting the mk2 ret bb he has in stock for at max the price is a mk3 bb and turn the jacks into discordia, an aspis, and a gorgon.

From someone local who is selling some ret models I am getting:
Ossyan
Battle mittens
2 magnetized house shyeel heavies

I already have:
Mk3 bb
Vyros1
Sentinels
Invictors
Halberds
Arcanist x3
Eiryss2
Lanyssa
Scyir
Imperatus
Banshee
House shyeel magister

Anything big I'm overlooking? I should probably get a unit of nyss hunters, but I don't want the official box. I can't find the whfb bits I need for the conversion I wanted to do, so need to figure something else out.

2 artificers seems like too many, as I don't even have a list where I use one anymore with how good Discordia is. Also, I assume the lot you're buying has a Houseguard Thane, but if not, you need one for the Halbs. Mage Hunter Assassins are still great and worth owning, so I'd probably pick up 2 of those. Issyria likes Hyperion, but I understand if that's gonna break the bank at this point. MHSF+E3 are still super good, but again, not required at this point. The Thane and MHA are my top recs.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

CaptCommy posted:

2 artificers seems like too many, as I don't even have a list where I use one anymore with how good Discordia is. Also, I assume the lot you're buying has a Houseguard Thane, but if not, you need one for the Halbs. Mage Hunter Assassins are still great and worth owning, so I'd probably pick up 2 of those. Issyria likes Hyperion, but I understand if that's gonna break the bank at this point. MHSF+E3 are still super good, but again, not required at this point. The Thane and MHA are my top recs.

I'm holding off until the Helios/Hyperion kit comes out some time in the distant future before getting a colossal, unless i find a great deal on it.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Just one more quick plug about the fact that I'm selling my circle here. Someone should totally buy it. Dropped the price down from 60% of retail down to 50% of retail. I need fuel for my ret purchases!

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
OK, question for people who've been doing journeymen leagues, or just a lot of battlebox play-- is the Ret battlebox as ballbreaking as it's appearing to be in our local group? I've really started up Ret this edition (I know, but I was getting all the stuff together before MKII was even announced) and so far I'm not only undefeated with the battlebox, but the games aren't particularly close. If you derp around at all in the midboard, I catch something with HoD and light it up, then do my end of move advance out of retaliatory range. If you come at me, I can usually tank 1-2 models in the advance enough while dealing with the other elements. My only losses figure-wise have been the griffon, and that's only because I'm giving them something to chew on that's not vital. And when stuff gets there, I can do a shocking amount of damage with a maxed out Manticore getting 4 p+s 18 swings on the things that I didn't try to shoot down.

I'm in no way a good player, so this kind of thing shouldn't be happening-- the last journeyman I was in had me getting my poo poo pushed in repeatedly with Skorne. What are we doing wrong locally, and what's been effective against the Ret box? I'll admit I haven't played a full set of factions yet (Trolls twice, Legion, CoC, Skorne, and a custom Cephalyx starter) so maybe some of the other factions have an answer, but I'm not seeing it from looking at them.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Ret battle box is pretty ballbusting if there isn't killbox as they can retreat to a corner and shoot the poo poo out of you. I dunno know why anyone would do this in a battle box game, but people do.

From what I've seen Magnus is really good against it. Helga has game. Menoth and Cygnar are on pretty similar grounds.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

CaptCommy posted:

2 artificers seems like too many, as I don't even have a list where I use one anymore with how good Discordia is.

The two aren't mutually exclusive. The artificer gained combo smite. The bonus isn't even the same as discos, they stack.

I don't think I'd run two outside of Rahn but it's worked for me there.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I'm assembling my Menoth mk3 battlebox.

Every other warcaster which is on a medium base is either some kind of monstrosity or wearing massive powered armor. Not Malekus. He's on a medium base because he's a big fat bastard. :btroll:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

In the protectorate, food brings you power. See also, Anson Durst

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Ret battle box is pretty ballbusting if there isn't killbox as they can retreat to a corner and shoot the poo poo out of you. I dunno know why anyone would do this in a battle box game, but people do.

From what I've seen Magnus is really good against it. Helga has game. Menoth and Cygnar are on pretty similar grounds.

I haven't been running into a corner, but it's a lot of the whole advance, shoot, and retreat just out of range to retaliate. The only games that were on my half of the board were the ones where my opponent aggressively ran first turn and made a point to be on my half of the board turn 1. I think part of it was people didn't enjoy getting hit 1-3 times with boosted POW 12s on their key piece while also having to eat an alpha strike to keep from having it happen again next turn, and that had them on tilt immediately. My most decisive win didn't even involve shooting much-- a 3 focus manticore should be able to walk through a monstrosity that has Hand of Destruction on it if there's no charge involved. It also beat the tar out of a Troll Axer under feat, which mostly sealed the game for me in my rematch against my PG.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I recently played my khador journeyman into the ret one and wasn't impressed. Def 12 lights get smooshed, and the manticore's gun isn't very scary to arm 20. Kozlov's speed buffing feat meant that I could approach fast and get in there. Def 12 meant I put my berserker into his stuff and could still hit. Manticore had to get in range of my own gun to shoot me, and boostable pow 15 does a lot to arm 18. I threw his griffon at the manticore to unjam my decimator and shot the manticore up. Next turn, put two more decimator rounds and the berserker into it, killed it, berserked into a nearby chimera and blew up, dropping the chimera to 3 boxes. I've been using a lot more throws this edition I've found, putting a 4 dice pow 12 onto the griffon was nice.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 11, 2016

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
I love the look of convergence but I also want one of the new mk3 battlegroups, have they said if they're going to update all of them eventually or should I not bother waiting?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

If that Flameguard is a average sized person, this dude is like 3 meters tall. What the hell were they feeding him at that orphanage?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

PaintVagrant posted:

In the protectorate, food brings you power. See also, Anson Durst

According to the grognards on Facebook, Durst is meant to be a normal-sized human in power armor, and I now know this because I got a fair amount "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhactually" about swapping my Durst's head out for a 40k Sanguinary Guard bare head.

Basically i'm saying gently caress those guys

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

That's what you get for posting in a Warmachine faction Facebook group

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PaintVagrant posted:

That's what you get for Facebook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

mp5 posted:

According to the grognards on Facebook, Durst is meant to be a normal-sized human in power armor, and I now know this because I got a fair amount "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhactually" about swapping my Durst's head out for a 40k Sanguinary Guard bare head.

Basically i'm saying gently caress those guys

His tiny head poking out of his huge armor should make it pretty obvious.

But I do think that you can dress up your wardolly however you want and I'm sure it looks really cool. Got a picture?