Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Random Stranger posted:

Solid. Which is how I'd rate 90% of the runs this year. Solid, enjoyable, but not necessarily something that you'd want to run down and watch. Which is really the kind of thing that GDQ should be shooting for since every run can't be amazing and there's hardly any unwatchable trainwrecks.

I agree with this. You just need to have played Final Fantasy Adventure to enjoy the run. The glitch they use is not one where they skip a door or bypass a wall, they are really teleporting all over the place. If you have no understanding of just how much they are skipping ahead you will be bored by the commentary and/or the sections where they are just grinding items or XP.

There were plenty of runs this year that were entertaining without knowledge of the game, this just isn't one of them.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jak and Daxter was kind of dull for the first 30-45 minutes but these Owen Wilson impressions are straight up killing me.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Cubey posted:

More importantly, most people in the speedrunning community just seem like good, kind people in general.

That, I've definitely noticed. It's kind of a reverse fighting game community.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Probably because it's much more of a cooperative thing than competitive. People share strats, give credit to the folks who uncovered them, and whoever holds the record is more a matter of personal skill and execution rather than defeating others.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

People are generally good

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Azazell0 posted:

This still cracks me up.

I am proud of my miniscule contribution to a legendary run. Specifically, convincing the donation head that the "Jeb Bush: Please clap" comment didn't really count as political, and thus was safe to air.

Otherwise, just amazed at the organization that goes into keeping something like that going, not just one and done, but twice a year, every year. Holy hell.

Also, agreed that the community on the whole is made up of really generous and genuine people. It's the second one I've done on site now, and I've only run into two super-weird creepy types and one utter rear end in a top hat. (And no, that wasn't Caleb, I talked with him this year and I think he's actually toned it down quite a bit.) Hope I can make it back to another—wish AGDQ wasn't always the same week as my field's major professional conference.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I'm really mad at Youtube for muting the Pikmin run for copyright.

Anyone know where its archived in the Twitch stream?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

elentar posted:

I've only run into two super-weird creepy types and one utter rear end in a top hat.
Who

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

raditts posted:

Jak and Daxter was kind of dull for the first 30-45 minutes but these Owen Wilson impressions are straight up killing me.

That's a big snake, woew

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zore posted:

what the gently caress i wanted to watch that

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Zore posted:

http://twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/v/76877760?t=25h07m04s

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Just finished watching the Jak and Daxter bit, that was just great. wow

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Zore posted:

To watch the previous runs (bonus points for /w chat if you want) I've just been using this reddit thread I found from google:

https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/4r4pyp/sgdq_vod_thread_2016/

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Zore posted:

*checks out the sunshine run*

what's going in?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I'm out of the loop, what's the big deal about the Jak and Daxter run? I skimmed through the video and just saw the guys being goofy. Is that it?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Nintendo is just plain hot garbage when it comes to their games on youtube.

I'm pretty sure they legit see gameplay videos as straight up piracy.

Anyway. Making my way through the first awful games block. These games are wonderfully terrible and CavemanDCJ and crew are great at commentary.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

El Jeffe posted:

I'm out of the loop, what's the big deal about the Jak and Daxter run? I skimmed through the video and just saw the guys being goofy. Is that it?

Watch the entire thing from start to finish or get hosed, clown.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

El Jeffe posted:

those guys being goofy is really funny, the first hour feels like a set-up to a long joke thats the second hour

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the first hour is good, dont get me wrong, but it goes so off-rails after that it's mental

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

those guys being goofy is really funny, the first hour feels like a set-up to a long joke thats the second hour

Oh ok, might have to watch it then

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The interactions with the unseen/heard staffers really make it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The chill non-hardcore runs are the best and jak and daxter is probably the best example of that. I liked pikmin also but mostly just because it was pikmin. The runner and commentators weren't bad at all but they didn't have a whole lot to say about what was going on. I guess they were tired considering how late it was

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

El Jeffe posted:

Oh ok, might have to watch it then

As I described earlier on the thread, you know when you're super tired and everything is a bit..off to you? Then something happens or someone says something and you just lose your fuckin' poo poo completely and never ever find it again? That's basically what happens to Bonesaw, and it's amazing.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Dias posted:

As I described earlier on the thread, you know when you're super tired and everything is a bit..off to you? Then something happens or someone says something and you just lose your fuckin' poo poo completely and never ever find it again? That's basically what happens to Bonesaw, and it's amazing.

no

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

In Memory...
"Your fight is over. Rest well friends, we'll meet again soon enough."

Hey fellas!! We made it :):) All in all this was basically as perfect a GDQ as one could possibly produce and definitely the most I've enjoyed watching one in the 4 years I've been following this event. The technical side of things were a 10/10 and honestly the only thing I can even think of to improve the experience next year would be to update the way the schedule looks (I have a hard time finding things and wish you could make it snap to the current run or auto-highlight completed runs as the run goes forward. Would also like additional info such as the console it's being run on).

I have a lot here so I'll try to keep my comments brief. I put them in order of appearance so it should be easy to add what interests you to your Watch Later playlist from the official GDQ account here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz8YL4HVC87WhzH2-56QXDOwoKNYkdCEV
Backup link to find the twitch vods here https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/4r4pyp/sgdq_vod_thread_2016/

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Race) - very tight race, lots of lead switches
Catherine (1 Player, 2 Controllers) - was super cool, see run category
Dishonored - lots of blinking around, owns if you like high mobility stuff like me
Star Wars: Jedi Academy - owns. it's true. all of it.
Curse of Issyos (Coop) - great fun, funny couch commentary from these two knuckleheads
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (Low% Souls) - super tight
Castlavania: Symphony of the Night (Blindfolded) - contains the biggest "runner vindicated" moment of all time
Freedom Planet - cool speedgame, even cooler, great runner
Dustforce DX (SS All Levels) - :stare:
Super Meat Boy (Dark Ending) - owns
Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (1-Hand Insane Difficulty) - run by our own halfcoordinated, great speech @ at the end
Braid - it's Braid
Demon's Crest (100%) - very tight
Silent Hill 3 - great chill runner commentary
Resident Evil 2 (Leon B) - same runner, super chill
Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 (Sonic's Story (No MSG)) - it's sonic 06
Ultimate Doom (UV-Speed) - it's doom. ooooooowwwwwns
Judge Dredd: Dredd vs. Death (COOP Jury) - i am the law lol
Deus Ex - super tight
Jak & Daxter (100%) - :siren: if there is one run you must watch it is this one :siren:
Bionic commando (100%) - tight
Gimmick! - it's gimmick, gimmick always owns
Tetris: The Grandmaster Series Exhibition - :pcgaming:
Two Worlds - this is prob my favorite speedrun. it's <5 minutes long.
The Witness - i loving hate this game but the speedrun is great to watch
Kirby Air Ride (All Tracks) - idk but this run just made me want to buy the game
Super Mario World (Low %) - VERY tight, very hype crowd moments, grandma%
Super Mario Maker Relay Race - super fun, improved lots from last year
Pepsiman (Pepsiman Cutscene%) - it's pepsiman. must watch+
Aladdin SNES (The Good One, 3-way race) - ribbedkilla owns
Typing of the Dead run by SA's own Peaches__, super chill
TASBot Exhibition (Mario Land 2, VVVVVV, 4-Mario Game Simu-Play) - it's the TAS bot!
Final Fantasy VI (Sketch Glitch) - just skip to 3hr35min because

Super Metroid (4-way Any% Race) RIP
Super Mario RPG - I love this game so i'm biased but this was just super chill and a perfect way to end the marathon as its last official run - they let the entire credit sequence and everything and this nerd here actually got the nerdchills at the "and...time" as "THE END" came up on the screen :unsmith:

poo poo runs you should avoid (or watch if that's your thing). tbh besides these two I don't even know if I can say that any other runs were "bad".
Ty the Tasmanian Tiger - blatantly & arrogantly ignores the Pacifist% donation incentive people dropped $5000 on
Trials Fusion - just very poorly planned. of 1hr30 maybe 15min are worth watching in this poster's opinion

Best in Show SGDQ2016 - Jak & Daxter 100% by Bonesaw577, congratulations !

My favorite post in this entire retarded thread (it's regarding Bonesaw's 'journey' during his run):

Runnerup:

Thank "U" for reading, hope you all have a great week! It has been a pleasure and a delight shitposting with you all :tipshat:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Where is zelda

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
link's awakening was good, but does that need to be said...

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Man, you never worked long hours with a group then, once someone mentioned something about underwear as an off-the-cuff comment and I was 30+h up and I spend 20min trying to recompose myself. Sleep-drunkiness wrecks me.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I really enjoyed the Freedom Planet run after initially dismissing it as a weird Sonic derivative fangame, but there was one guy on the couch who was basically awful and crowded out everyone (including the dev, on the horn!) because he loved the sound of his voice so very much

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i have lived through hundreds of nights, I have traveled across the caspian sea; I know of its hardships, and i know of what it becomes

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

This thread is so progressive that people here get owned by twitch chat left & right for being a cesspool but the same people routinely insult & dismiss gems like Freedom Planet on its surface for its appearance too closely resembling a sonic game fangame to appreciate its beauty contained within...really makes u think

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

beep by grandpa posted:

Typing of the Dead run by SA's own Peaches__, super chill

Watch the twitch vod of this, the chat was awesome.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

beep by grandpa posted:

In Memory...
"Your fight is over. Rest well friends, we'll meet again soon enough."

Who are these missing boys, I need to know

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Hace posted:

Who are these missing boys, I need to know

Watch the Super Metroid race.

Avskum
Jul 27, 2009

:smugfrog:

Sir Tonk posted:

Watch the twitch vod of this, the chat was awesome.

Agreed, twitch plays typing of the dead was pretty sweet

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

beep by grandpa posted:

I have a lot here so I'll try to keep my comments brief. I put them in order of appearance so it should be easy to add what interests you to your Watch Later playlist from the official GDQ account here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz8YL4HVC87WhzH2-56QXDOwoKNYkdCEV
Backup link to find the twitch vods here https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/4r4pyp/sgdq_vod_thread_2016/ [...]

I think this is a fantastic list of suggestions. The only thing that was on my list that isn't on there is the Pokemon Red 4 person race and that is mainly because one of the runners messes up (or has bad luck, I don't remember) near the end and is forced to use one of his non-leveled Pokemon (an Oddish with the HM Cut) to fight a fearsome Venusaur.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 10, 2016

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

what a week, friends. this was definitely one of the best GDQ events yet, especially happy that they smashed that donation goal at the end. I'm looking forward to grabbing the popcorn for the next marathon.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Beasteh posted:

I really enjoyed the Freedom Planet run after initially dismissing it as a weird Sonic derivative fangame, but there was one guy on the couch who was basically awful and crowded out everyone (including the dev, on the horn!) because he loved the sound of his voice so very much

Wasn't that the game where the runner was super shy and barely spoke english? Maybe he was just trying to cover up the fact that the runner didnt want to try and talk

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I was sad I couldn't stay up for the entire Super Mario RPG speedrun. Most of the RPG speedruns I have no interest in because they're like 100 hours long despite being "speedruns" with not enough interesting stuff happening but Mario RPG is special. Also the commentary was really good and watching literally everyone in the audience be on the edge of their seats for the 100 jump thing with Johnny was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Macaluso posted:

I was sad I couldn't stay up for the entire Super Mario RPG speedrun. Most of the RPG speedruns I have no interest in because they're like 100 hours long despite being "speedruns" with not enough interesting stuff happening but Mario RPG is special. Also the commentary was really good and watching literally everyone in the audience be on the edge of their seats for the 100 jump thing with Johnny was great.
Did they even schedule a ton of super long runs this year? FFVI and Mario RPG were both under four hours (I think Mario clocked in at three), which feels like a decent time for an RPG speedrun. I'm not a huge fan of them, but at 3-4 hours it's something I can put on the other monitor to listen to while I do other things.

• Locked thread