Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The density distribution on this game is hosed, but man if this game isn't addictive. I live in Southern MD (btw if there was a goon at the library hunting mons and he saw a super tall dude with a pitbull and a cellphone that was me) and my neighborhood is a weird combination of suburban homes and townhouses. I walked a total of 3.5 km. 2km was around the suburban homes and the other 1.5km was through some townhomes and a library. During the first 2km I saw Rattata and a Pidgey. In the final 1.5km I saw a Pidgey, Rattata, Beedrill, Zubat, Spearow, Venonat, Staryu, Meowth, Spearow, and Nidoran. My dog certainly didn't mind the walk (she hasn't moved since we got back), but if I hadn't gone through the townhomes on a lark I would be pissed at how lovely the spawn rate was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
What's the highest level person that you guys know of?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

bizwank posted:

Everyone benefits from lures, they aren't team specific. Find one and milk it. Aside from gym battles I haven't seen/heard hardly anyone caring about teams, especially at stop/lure gatherings.

I'd pay twice as much for a lure that's only usable by team yellow

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Very often, when I catch a pokemon, the camera image flips upside down during the pokeball animation. Is that happening to other people?

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

showbiz_liz posted:

Very often, when I catch a pokemon, the camera image flips upside down during the pokeball animation. Is that happening to other people?

Yup, happens here.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RC Cola posted:

Well I'm level 6.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Fellatio del Toro posted:

A proper response for the proper team

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Incense are cheaper, just give everyone some google bucks so they can buy one for themselves.

Axel Serenity posted:

A proper response for the proper team
Team yellow here, I've dropped lures for groups of 20-30 people of unknown team affiliation. Anything less would be un-American.

showbiz_liz posted:

I don't play with the camera on, pokes are easier to hit that way and battery lasts longer.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Is there any way to view your stuff outside of the app? Or maps etc? Its so lovely I'd like a way to talk to the professor or whatever on my computer without the app crashing or freezing.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is there a way to find out which Pokemon are rare?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

bows1 posted:

Is there any way to view your stuff outside of the app? Or maps etc? Its so lovely I'd like a way to talk to the professor or whatever on my computer without the app crashing or freezing.

App-only for now. It'll probably be a while before we see something as extensive as the Ingress Intel map.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

RC Cola posted:

I've seen a level 19. Currently a gym downtown that has 3 pokestops in range with 3 lures keeps changing hands every 2 minutes or so. They are using 200 CP pokemon so I dunno if they're doing it for XP or if the players are just poo poo but I'm gonna roll down later and see what's up.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is there a way to find out which Pokemon are rare?

I'm sure Buzzfeed could tell you.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

bizwank posted:

I don't play with the camera on, pokes are easier to hit that way and battery lasts longer.

But that's no FUN

(I finally opened the battery pack I got for Christmas because of this game. With that, I was able to be out for 5+ hours without running out of battery.)

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I've seen a level 19. Currently a gym downtown that has 3 pokestops in range with 3 lures keeps changing hands every 2 minutes or so. They are using 200 CP pokemon so I dunno if they're doing it for XP or if the players are just poo poo but I'm gonna roll down later and see what's up.

How can you tell that it's changing hands so frequently?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Prolly asked and answered a dozen times by now, but the steps to hatch an egg only occurs when the app is on and active, right? Outside of the other issues, I quit Ingress because I just didn't like holding my active phone while walking around.

Like, gently caress, let me feed the app my Fitbit data.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Kharmakazy posted:

How about you stop? No wonder the servers are hosed if everyone in the world is elbowing to get into something only designed for certain regions to use right now.

lol at blaming people in other countries over Niantic's remarkable lack of any foresight regarding how to launch a video game

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I really hope Nintendo sees the success of this game and decides to invest more money and time into its development to turn it into the amazing game that the current iteration is only just hinting at.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Correct. It's a good idea to check your phone, too, to make sure it hasn't fallen asleep or lost connection to the server.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

RoflcopterPilot posted:

I do wish they had a better leveling up/evolving system and made capturing their evolved forms much more rare. The original evolving through battle experience was great and much more fair in terms of the areas people have access to.

Yeah it feels super weird to me. There doesn't seem to be any reason to hold onto any Pokemon if I catch another one with higher CP. It's difficult to tell whether to hold onto evolved forms too because sometimes their moves aren't great. It's a total crapshoot.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

RC Cola posted:

L20; he's also an Ingress player and was in the beta I believe. He reports XP needed to level past that as 50k to L21, 75k to L22 and 100k to L23.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

lol at blaming people in other countries over Niantic's remarkable lack of any foresight regarding how to launch a video game

It's literally their fault. If I invite 30 people to my party and buy enough food for 30 people and you show up with 60 people I didn't invite it's not my fault if I run out of food.

Media outlets were even telling people to download third party versions of the game to bypass region restrictions, and now a whole lot of people are going to have a real bad time because of it.

https://www.proofpoint.com/us/threat-insight/post/droidjack-uses-side-load-backdoored-pokemon-go-android-app

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Kharmakazy posted:

It's literally their fault. If I invite 30 people to my party and buy enough food for 30 people and you show up with 60 people I didn't invite it's not my fault if I run out of food.

Media outlets were even telling people to download third party versions of the game to bypass region restrictions, and now a whole lot of people are going to have a real bad time because of it.

https://www.proofpoint.com/us/threat-insight/post/droidjack-uses-side-load-backdoored-pokemon-go-android-app
Niantic invited 30 people but only had food for 5.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
If IM slightly outside the circle of the Lure does it work? mY dude keeps walking away from my house while Im sitting on my couch.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Does the screen have to be on for an egg to gain progress?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

bows1 posted:

If IM slightly outside the circle of the Lure does it work? mY dude keeps walking away from my house while Im sitting on my couch.
The pokes will spawn close to the lure, and I've had luck snagging pokes that spawned outside of my circle, so maybe? If you're worried just pop an incense instead, it follows your player and is cheaper.

Zotix posted:

Does the screen have to be on for an egg to gain progress?
No, the game tracks your movement any time it's on, assuming it isn't frozen or the servers haven't poo poo themselves again.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

bizwank posted:

Niantic invited 30 people but only had food for 5.

You say that, but there is no evidence to support it. We don't know how things work when only the expected number of users are online, because that never happened.
I literally can't understand your need to blame the company providing the free service when 10 million people cut in line to use the same resources they set aside for you.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
My local gym hasn't changed hands, but the lowest-level pokemon in there vanished, leaving an empty slot that was later replaced by a different person's pokemon. How did that happen? I thought your pokemon were stuck in there until the gym was taken over by another team.

remeez
Jan 10, 2007

Has anyone tried an auto tapping macro for gym battles? Does tapping above a certain speed even matter?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Kharmakazy posted:

hurrdurr we're going to release this game in a public format where literally anyone who is sufficiently determined can gain access to it wait why are there tons of people playing the game and loving up our servers

You have to be loving dense to not see this coming. Blaming players for wanting to play the video game is retarded.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Kharmakazy posted:

You say that, but there is no evidence to support it. We don't know how things work when only the expected number of users are online, because that never happened.
I literally can't understand your need to blame the company providing the free service when 10 million people cut in line to use the same resources they set aside for you.
I've been dealing with Niantic's engineering, or lack-thereof, for well over two years now. They aren't a game company, don't seem to understand scaling or efficiency, and everything I've seen in this release is just more of the same from them. Even if the problem was caused by more players then they expected, they still should have been able to spin up more resources to handle them. Not being able do so is inexcusable for a technology company in 2016.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

MisterBibs posted:

Prolly asked and answered a dozen times by now, but the steps to hatch an egg only occurs when the app is on and active, right? Outside of the other issues, I quit Ingress because I just didn't like holding my active phone while walking around.

Like, gently caress, let me feed the app my Fitbit data.

only 34.99 for the go+ to do part of this. maybe they'll sell a hardware DLC later for an extra 30

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kharmakazy posted:

There are only 35 million people in Canada, of which a small number would go through the trouble to get early access to the game. Maybe tens of thousands of people. If that tiny number is enough to crush their servers then I just dont even know what to tell you.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Kharmakazy posted:

How about you stop? No wonder the servers are hosed if everyone in the world is elbowing to get into something only designed for certain regions to use right now.

As a Eurogoon I'll say straight up that this isn't the case. I've had the game sideloaded since Tuesday and it plays flawlessly from around 7AM GMT, when I start my commute to work, up until about lunchtime when the East coast of America comes online. It craps out for a bit, but returns to normal service not long after. Around 5PM GMT, when the East coast of the USA comes online (9AM their time), the servers regularly died and didn't recover for the rest of the day.

It's not a case of filthy foreigners stealing your pokemons and crashing the servers. It's down to the game being popular beyond all expectation in the regions it has been released in. Ironically, as a European playing an unauthorized version of the game in a country it hasn't been released in yet, I've probably had a better experience than folks in the US.

My hope is that they've beefed up the servers by the time it gets released here, because I don't want to go through the birthing pains the US has suffered the past few days.

edit: I say popular beyond expectation, but really, they release a game in a franchise that has sold 250+ million physical copies, and they release it on the 2 most popular gaming platforms. When setting up their servers, the baseline user load should have been "everyone who owns a phone".

Clyde Radcliffe fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 11, 2016

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

i think that since there's a lot of issues playing, yall could try not playing for a week or hell, even a whole two weeks

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Blazing Zero posted:

only 34.99 for the go+ to do part of this. maybe they'll sell a hardware DLC later for an extra 30
They'll have to get the powersaving working properly first. Even with that engaged the phone still locks from inactivity and the game "stops".

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

As a Eurogoon I'll say straight up that this isn't the case. I've had the game sideloaded since Tuesday and it plays flawlessly from around 7AM GMT, when I start my commute to work, up until about lunchtime when the East coast of America comes online. It craps out for a bit, but returns to normal service not long after. Around 5PM GMT, when the East coast of the USA comes online (9AM their time), the servers regularly died and didn't recover for the rest of the day.
They have separate servers for each country too; you filthy foreigners stealing our IOPS isn't even possible: http://www.mmoserverstatus.com/pokemon_go

Blazing Zero posted:

i think that since there's a lot of issues playing, yall could try not playing for a week or hell, even a whole two weeks
That's the worst advice in this thread.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

actually, scratch my last post. i just got off the phone with my uncle at niantic and HE says they are fixing all the problems because of the bitching itt. good job everyone! :peanut:

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

showbiz_liz posted:

My local gym hasn't changed hands, but the lowest-level pokemon in there vanished, leaving an empty slot that was later replaced by a different person's pokemon. How did that happen? I thought your pokemon were stuck in there until the gym was taken over by another team.

Actually I think I can maybe guess the answer to this - when a gym gets attacked and kicked down a level, it must kick out the lowest-ranked pokemon, and then when it gets leveled back up there's an empty slot.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Blazing Zero posted:

Maybe just trying to get past us in Levels? Sneaky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

bizwank posted:

Ingress player for two years; "MU" (mind units) is a unit of measurement in that game which varies based on human density in an given area, data which was provided by Google (where Niantic got it's start). This game is built on the same platform and is using a lot of the same mechanics and locations, just dumbed down and cuted up. It stands to reason that spawn rate would scale to player density so that everyone gets a similar play experience. Anecdotally, a friend who's L20 has captured the bulk of his pokes (well over 500) sitting at home in a 100+ unit condo and hasn't spent a cent. I'm in a single-family neighborhood and see maybe 2-3 a day spawn naturally, if that.

If you're just sitting still (or in an area where walking around doesn't really do much, like inside your house/apartment), and you catch a Pokémon, just close the app, and play again in an hour. Someone earlier in the thread said they respawn once an hour, and I've managed to catch 4 Pokémon in the last 4 hours, at the same time, so I'm pretty sure they're right.

Point Of Intrest.

• Locked thread