Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

The Locator posted:

I'm quite interested in seeing how they (you) handle the complex and sharp curves at the bow.

There's two ways it's usually done.

One is to simply stack a bunch of differently sized wooden half rounds/ovals Towers of Hanoi style and then file away the differences between the slabs of wood.

The other is to use resin parts, which is whats going to happen with my Bismarck. There's a resin part for the bow and stern and also for the location where the middle propeller sits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Kibner posted:

While not a boat, tank, car, or plane, I finally finished the tail of my robot dinosaur, the Gojulas. It took a long time and had a bazillion parts. Also, panel lines. So many panel lines. Have some (bad) pictures:

Connected to body with a 12 oz. can shown for scale.

That's gonna be a pretty big dino-bot. Are those the finished colors, or are you going to be painting it up after?

Greyhawk posted:

There's two ways it's usually done.

One is to simply stack a bunch of differently sized wooden half rounds/ovals Towers of Hanoi style and then file away the differences between the slabs of wood.

The other is to use resin parts, which is whats going to happen with my Bismarck. There's a resin part for the bow and stern and also for the location where the middle propeller sits.

Cheater. :v:

Makes a lot of sense to do it that way actually, give the builder all the really complicated parts as pre-made stuff and have them make the wood smoothly fit into it. Or are those aftermarket things rather than part of the kit?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Locator posted:

That's gonna be a pretty big dino-bot. Are those the finished colors, or are you going to be painting it up after?

I am an awful excuse for a modeler, so those are just the colors the plastic is molded in. I'm not sure if I would ever finish a kit if I painted things, too. Especially one of this size with this many details and moving parts.

I might try throwing on a matte finish or something to dull the plastic and protect it a bit, though.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 4, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Locator posted:

The Gojulas is the biggest and most-expensive kit in the HMM Zoids line. And I want one someday :shepspends:.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Gojulas is the biggest and most-expensive kit in the HMM Zoids line. And I want one someday :shepspends:.

Umm.. wow, they really are pricey, at least on Amazon. I was too lazy to search any further than that for them. Not that spending lots of money on models (and modeling stuff) is a bad thing, I'm really good at doing that :v:

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

The Locator posted:

Makes a lot of sense to do it that way actually, give the builder all the really complicated parts as pre-made stuff and have them make the wood smoothly fit into it. Or are those aftermarket things rather than part of the kit?

They're part of the kit.

This is the alternative and how the 1:250 Yamato and Akagi handle it. Obviously this has a much larger potential for desaster.

Greyhawk fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jul 4, 2016

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Locator posted:

Umm.. wow, they really are pricey, at least on Amazon. I was too lazy to search any further than that for them. Not that spending lots of money on models (and modeling stuff) is a bad thing, I'm really good at doing that :v:

It was a limited print run, iirc, and the price you see on Amazon is probably about a 50% increase from the price it launched at.

Still stupidly expensive, though. I guess they had to come up with some way to pay for the engineering and molds.

E: after I finish this, I'll be tackling their giant robot scorpion next.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 4, 2016

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Why does it have buttclaws?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Why does it have buttclaws?

I can only assume because :japan:.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

That's the Death Stinger, and it has buttclaws because it's a larger zoid, and needs a defence against being flanked by numerous smaller opponents :eng101:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Looks like I might have to start with a rattle can job for the body. Can't find the stuff packed away in boxes during the move.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
I was wondering if anyone knew of a decent Douglas A-26 (B-26) plastic model? I'm looking for something no smaller than about 1:72 but would prefer a little bigger if possible. Any good sites to check?

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Scalemates is your friend here. Looks like the only one that matches what you're looking for is this Italeri kit which gets good reviews, it's 1/72 and can be built in both A and B versions. The other listed kits are apparently on the old side.

English review of the previous boxing of that kit, current boxing just has a German review but both draw the same conclusion.

EDIT: There's also a 1/48 model released in 2014, but it's plastic, resin and photo-etch. Revell also has one in 1/48, a 2009 release with an original tooling from 1993 which apparently isn't all that great.

Smoke fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 7, 2016

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Smoke thanks a lot for this. Just getting back into model making and a lot of my old resources are not online anymore.

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005

Tindjin posted:

I was wondering if anyone knew of a decent Douglas A-26 (B-26) plastic model? I'm looking for something no smaller than about 1:72 but would prefer a little bigger if possible. Any good sites to check?

Italeri also makes a very nice 1/72 B-26K kit from the same molds if you're interested in a later model. Needs a lot of weight in the nose, but otherwise a fun build.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Finished first planking of the Bismarck, now a few days worth of sanding will follow. Luckily after the first round of sanding it looks like I did the planking good enough so there's way less holes that need filling than I first expected.

Victory is ready for straking too (preparing her outer form for planking), so this weekend will likely be spent in a mountain of saw dust.

Also made a tiny barrel stack.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
I finished two planes this week, dropping my stash down a bit.

Revell 1/390 Boeing 747-200

Messy kit with a lot of flash, and ejector pin markings on the turbine exhaust bits on all engine parts. The windshield being of the "small disc you slot into the front" variety is also fun if you're like me and leave out the glass until after painting, I had it fall into the body and spent a few minutes retrieving it. Decals fit well though, and are properly-sized, even if the overall colorscheme is a bit boring.

Revell 1/144 Concorde

Slight fit issues, but a beautiful result and over 100 decals to apply(thanks DACO). Worst bit was the red line over the entire body considering it's five separate decals, and I managed to lose one of the black engine decals(the black trim on the inside of the intakes is all decal) so I had to paint that bit. It's on a non-obvious place though and it went pretty well. Both planes are entirely brush-painted.

I'm getting married next weekend, and they'll both serve as decorations during the reception along with the Airbus A350 I posted in here a while back(we're going with a bit of an airplane/travel theme as we'll be moving to another country at the end of August, still gotta figure out how I'll transport most of my finished kits but I have a few ideas, we have a moving van available)

Now I'll either need to get some motivation to finish the sub I was working on(Revell got me some new decals for it and it's near completion) or I'll get started on something new from my very small stash.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Odd request, but does anyone have any spare leftover decals that they would be willing to part with. Mainly generic warning lables and such for around 1/48 scale.(doesn't have to be exactly the correct scale)

I am building a Warhammer 40k Vulture gunship and I feel like adding warning decals and such would go a long way to making it more realistic looking, and unfortunately I am not sure if anyone makes just decals like that, so I figured I would ask if anyone has any spare scraps.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

jadebullet posted:

Odd request, but does anyone have any spare leftover decals that they would be willing to part with. Mainly generic warning lables and such for around 1/48 scale.(doesn't have to be exactly the correct scale)

I am building a Warhammer 40k Vulture gunship and I feel like adding warning decals and such would go a long way to making it more realistic looking, and unfortunately I am not sure if anyone makes just decals like that, so I figured I would ask if anyone has any spare scraps.

My local hobby shop has generic English warning labels in 1:48th scale, it's definitely a thing that you can buy.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

jadebullet posted:

More giant robot focused, but here's a lot of decals that include warning and caution ones. If nothing else, you can take a look at the brand names and do a more focused search on other retailers that sell them.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So here is something to show a level of modelling that's probably unattainable for most of us. Make sure to watch (or fast forward to) the interior details that are shown. Scratch built 1:40 scale model of the Royal Caroline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jshTzNJjy8

Oh yea, it's primary construction material is 'card'. So yea, that's made out of paper.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I just realized I never actually linked the site I meant to in my previous post: http://hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?rel=nav&GenreCode=Sci&MacroType=Dcl

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
These guys do sheets of stencil marks for British aircraft, could be useful?
http://stores.ebay.com/Aviaeology/Aviaeology-Decals-Stencils-/_i.html?_fsub=13535932018&_sid=7896438&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

The Locator posted:

So here is something to show a level of modelling that's probably unattainable for most of us. Make sure to watch (or fast forward to) the interior details that are shown. Scratch built 1:40 scale model of the Royal Caroline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jshTzNJjy8

Oh yea, it's primary construction material is 'card'. So yea, that's made out of paper.

I feel like I've seen this posted here before. Also, the Casio keyboard demo soundtrack is touching. :)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Gewehr 43 posted:

I feel like I've seen this posted here before. Also, the Casio keyboard demo soundtrack is touching. :)

Hrm... maybe I did. If so, sorry about that.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

The Locator posted:

It's worth the repost.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Perfect. Thanks.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

The Locator posted:

Oh, no apologies necessary. I'm still amazed by the attention to detail. Either way, I just wanted to make a snarky comment about the soundtrack. :)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

My compressor is behaving strangely.

It's a Master, the kind without the tank.

I painted some stuff with it at about 20 psi, then turned it off and did other things for an hour.

I turned it back on and it ran....and ran, and ran. After about five seconds of staring at it dumbly (it normally takes less than one to get to pressure) I turned it off. I checked all the connections and everything was tight, and I heard no leaking air. The needle pointed at 20. Turning the regulator up made the needle go up, presumably reflecting the true pressure. It maxed out at 60.

I figure something has broken, but after some cursory googling (disclaimer: I'm not very bright) I'm not sure whether I need to replace the dial thingy, the whole regulator assembly, something else, or what. The compressor's little booklet says the compressor itself doesn't need oil, but I'm not seeing any maintenance for the other bits. I'm kind of at a loss.

Any guidance, emotional support, or comedic mockery?

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

I painted some stuff with it at about 20 psi, then turned it off and did other things for an hour.

I turned it back on and it ran....and ran, and ran. After about five seconds of staring at it dumbly (it normally takes less than one to get to pressure) I turned it off. I checked all the connections and everything was tight, and I heard no leaking air. The needle pointed at 20. Turning the regulator up made the needle go up, presumably reflecting the true pressure. It maxed out at 60.

I figure something has broken, but after some cursory googling (disclaimer: I'm not very bright) I'm not sure whether I need to replace the dial thingy, the whole regulator assembly, something else, or what. The compressor's little booklet says the compressor itself doesn't need oil, but I'm not seeing any maintenance for the other bits. I'm kind of at a loss.

I have a similar compressor but with a tank, and the power button moves in two directions: one shuts it off when it reaches pressure and the other keeps the compressor going. Does your button do this?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Casyl posted:

I have a similar compressor but with a tank, and the power button moves in two directions: one shuts it off when it reaches pressure and the other keeps the compressor going. Does your button do this?

Nope. Simple toggle.

Edit: by the by, I was working on a Zvezda KV-2, and a tiny panther from Lindberg.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 12, 2016

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Tanks?

Taaaaaaaanks

Some better shots of the turret interior:

This is the Hobby Boss Tauchpanzer IV, which is a rebox of the Tristar kit of the same name. This is some good modern stuff, unlike the old garbage I usually put up with, although it still has its quirks. Although the tank has an interior, it is very lacking. The only parts you get are of the fighting compartment, and even then it leaves much to be desired. For instance, the gun has no breech block, and the ceiling of the turret is emblazoned with the Tristar logo. Good thing you can't see it once the turret is installed. What you can see are the walls of the tank, which are bare. Two rigidity struts block the possibility of adding anything yourself.

The outside of the tank is excellent. You get a small sheet of photo etch here and the ability to build a Tauchpanzer in three positions (travel, submerging equipment fitted, ready to submerge) or a regular Ausf. D if you so prefer. Oddly enough, unlike the older Dragon Tauchpanzer I have, it did not come with a wooden beam or a snorkel.

The track links click together, or at least they're supposed to. I found that they were cast rather imprecisely, and it was a crapshoot whether two of them will click perfectly on the first try or refuse to so so. Since I wasn't going to be driving this thing anywhere, I sanded off the little nubs and all the pieces went together perfectly.

You get a wealth of decals in this package: all the Panzer IV decals plus extra Tauchpanzer ones, most of them from the same 18th regiment as my Tauchpanzer III. Sadly you don't get the cool bear logo that would make it obvious that the tanks are from the same unit, but you do get to choose from a shark or whatever that shield thing is.

To conclude, my Tauchpanzer family and PzIV variants:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Some good looking tonks in the last couple of posts.

The cable on the back of the Tauchpanzer IV is quite convincing. Nicely done. Some very nice detailing all around.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The open side hatches make that turret look like a heavily armed, Teutonic dumbo octopus. (This is a good thing)

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

The Locator posted:

Some good looking tonks in the last couple of posts.

The cable on the back of the Tauchpanzer IV is quite convincing. Nicely done. Some very nice detailing all around.

The kit comes with a very nice brass cable.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

I had that happen with a tank one, which was infinitely more disturbing. I'd been painting for quite a while, so the compressor was running really hot. Turned it off, let it cool down, it's been running fine ever since. These things are weird.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Greyhawk posted:

I had that happen with a tank one, which was infinitely more disturbing. I'd been painting for quite a while, so the compressor was running really hot. Turned it off, let it cool down, it's been running fine ever since. These things are weird.

Filled with hope, I tried mine again, and it was still having that problem. I decided a replacement regulator was the cheapest troubleshooting step that didn't involve hours of research (because my time has value). We'll see how this goes. Worst case scenario I end up with the Compressor of Theseus.

Edit: if anything spectacular happens, eg getting wounded by an exploding compressor, I'll post pics.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Tanks? I got 'em

Finished my Leopard 2. Tracks were horrible, the skirts are held on with bluetac, the most useful modeling substance

Used dilute buff to blend all the colors together. Light pastel mud finished things off.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Is that the one with the crazy hot water tracks? I think you did a good job.

My T-35's skirts are held on by tac, it seemed a shame to seal the suspension away forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ensign Expendable posted:

Is that the one with the crazy hot water tracks? I think you did a good job.

My T-35's skirts are held on by tac, it seemed a shame to seal the suspension away forever.

:highfive:

It is that tank; on certain angles you can see the tracks don't run true, but fortunately you can't for most of 'em. The camo was, of course, done by bluetac masking