Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

UncleBlazer posted:

Question about the 4x4: the 9v 400mA outputs, can I use these to power multiple pedals, sort of daisy chaining from an output?

My chain at the moment is:
Boss TU2
Walrus Deep Six
Caroline Wave Cannon
OBNE Procession
Echo Park
Timeline
Ditto

There's only 4 100mA when I need 6. Alternatively will a higher mA hurt pedals or is it just voltage that will harm them? ie just avoid the 12v

You're fine daisy chaining a few - the mA rating is a "max provided" number; the pedals will only pull as much current as they need. Just check the pedals themselves and make sure the total draw from each chain is less than 100mA. You'll probably wanna run your delays on their own, but you'll be fine daisy chaining your tuner for sure.

And you're correct - never use higher voltage than the pedal wants; that CAN fry your pedals. Same goes for polarity, but the positive ground pedals usually use a different plug anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

UncleBlazer posted:

Question about the 4x4: the 9v 400mA outputs, can I use these to power multiple pedals, sort of daisy chaining from an output?

My chain at the moment is:
Boss TU2
Walrus Deep Six
Caroline Wave Cannon
OBNE Procession
Echo Park
Timeline
Ditto

There's only 4 100mA when I need 6. Alternatively will a higher mA hurt pedals or is it just voltage that will harm them? ie just avoid the 12v

more mA will not hurt the pedal only sending incorrect voltage

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Thanks guys! I've not plugged anything in yet out fear, I'm going to get on it now.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

That is really cool

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Over the last month I've gone from not really having a use for my delay (Moog Minifooger) on my pedalboard and putting it up for sale/trade to starting to dive in and appreciate it more. Well, I just bought an Echorec and am planning to be a 2 delay bassist. I used to have a Boss Space Echo, and it will be really fun to get back into some multitap sounds!

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

There's a Space Echo at one of the local shops. Sometimes I can hear it calling me.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

dammit, quote is not edit. Point is, it's an RE-201, not a pedal.

Space Echoes make me stupid.

Gorgar fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 20, 2016

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The Bunk posted:

Over the last month I've gone from not really having a use for my delay (Moog Minifooger) on my pedalboard and putting it up for sale/trade to starting to dive in and appreciate it more. Well, I just bought an Echorec and am planning to be a 2 delay bassist. I used to have a Boss Space Echo, and it will be really fun to get back into some multitap sounds!

You have achieved my teenage dream of becoming Roger Waters.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

After The War posted:

You have achieved my teenage dream of becoming Roger Waters.

Thanks, I'll warn my bandmates. :v:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm looking at possibly getting some non-dirt pedals as I only own three pedals (An OD, Fuzz and Distortion) and would like a bit more to explore. It's been a chicken and egg thing, where I haven't bought a board because I don't have enough pedals, but I haven't bought pedals because it'd be way too messy without a board. So now I'm looking to make the leap sometime this year.

My biggest question is how the hell do people power their boards? I get small boards, you can just use any decent power supply when you only have maybe six pedals. But those massive boards where you have ten or more pedals, how do people power those? Do they just take two 8 output supplies and set it up that way or do power supplies with more outputs exist? I'm curious because I was ticking off all the effects I like and by the end of it I'll probably have ten or more.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

You can daisy chain pedals off the outputs of a good multi isolated output power supply as long as the voltage is the same for the pedals on each output and the combined amperage needed by the pedals on each output is below what the output can supply. You'd want to try to pair up pedals that don't cause a hum or buzz when paired, but that'd have to be determined experimentally.

Alternatively, there's this thing

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I saw that, but the thing is that all the pedals on my wishlist are 9V, so having 8 9V and some 12/18V probably wouldn't work as well because the amperage can be over but voltage matching (Unless the pedals are designed for more headroom or whatever, which none of the ones I'm eyeing are to my knowledge). I also saw the Walrus Audio Phoenix. That'd probably work, as it's 15 9V outputs (With toggles for 12V or 18V) but man is it overkill, kinda like the CAE. Both of them seem to be around the AU$400-450 mark.

It's probably overkill but honestly I could probably get away with some cheap non-isolated power supply until I have enough pedals to warrant a huge CAE/Walrus power supply. I was mainly curious because that CAE was the supply with the most outputs I've seen, but there's people with like 20 pedals and I had no idea how they really powered it.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'm currently using the same 1Spot for home and gigging. With the band, it powers six pedals off a daisy chain. At home, thirteen... off another daisy chain plugged into that one.

Takes it like a champ.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!

After The War posted:

I'm currently using the same 1Spot for home and gigging. With the band, it powers six pedals off a daisy chain. At home, thirteen... off another daisy chain plugged into that one.

Takes it like a champ.

I love the 1spot. Just keep an eye on voltage/ground when you shop for pedals. I run everything off the 1 spot and just use a dedicated 18v supply for my q-tron.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Help me understand buffers. Compared to plugging straight into my amp there's definitely some signal loss in my pedalboard when everything is off, but that literally never happens because my compressor & VT Bass are on all the time. Does that mean a buffer would be pointless for me? Should I just bump up the output on my pedals a bit and forget about it?

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Short answer:
Your always-on pedals are effectively acting as buffers. So yeah, forget about it and go on with your life.

Not as short answer:
It might be a little more complicated depending on what's causing the signal loss.
1. Capacitance from a long unbuffered signal path (if you're using all true bypass pedals)
2. Poor quality buffers in non true bypass pedals.

1 is solved by adding a buffer, either standalone or in a good quality buffered bypass pedal.
2 is solved by placing the offending pedals in a true bypass loop (and then possibly adding a buffer because you now have problem 1)

But neither case applies to you so yeah, forget about it and go on with your life. :)

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
So during rehearsal last week I noticed several things with the array of songs we're playing. This was my first time playing guitar with people ever, so most of this I just didn't have to worry about on my own. All of the songs are classic/album rock and A3 type stuff, so I could play it safe with a pretty static setup and call it good... but it made my teeth itch to do that. I tweaked as I went, but afterward I gave some serious thought to my signal chain.

Strat/Tele -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Fulltone OCD clone -> MXR M234 (when it arrives) -> TC Flashback -> TC Hall of Fame -> One-off clean boost -> TC Ditto X2 -> Blackstar ID30

I have the Blackstar setup to do a "vox'ish" thing on clean bright channel, EL84 tube emulation, treble boosted, bass rolled off with input and output gain set at noon. It's 100% clean and gives me a nice, sparkly sound to start with. Even with the boost kicked in it stays clean.

Just Rhino, mild gain, unity output = Slight mid-forward hair that can be backed off into very sparkly cleans, and then on the Strat's bridge bucker it's smooth, tight leads.
Just OCD, medium gain, unity output = Same mild breakup as just the Rhino, but as a fatter marshall sound
Rhino into OCD = the AC/DC track we're doing... cranked marshall sound

After that it'll just be dialing in the mild chorus used for some things, then a nice 1-to-2 tick analog delay on dotted eighth and a mild room or spring reverb.

Going over things this afternoon this seems to give me strumming cleans, a couple of different chunky crunches, a couple of mild leads and then an onslaught setting and then all the spots in between the volume knob gets me.

Oh and at the end before the looper the clean boost to get me up over the band for the one solo I'll be doing.

Does this seem fairly reasonable? I appreciate any input. I'd like to get things nailed down before our last rehearsal tomorrow night.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

The Bunk posted:

Help me understand buffers. Compared to plugging straight into my amp there's definitely some signal loss in my pedalboard when everything is off, but that literally never happens because my compressor & VT Bass are on all the time. Does that mean a buffer would be pointless for me? Should I just bump up the output on my pedals a bit and forget about it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSWqLuXUfnY

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Okay, the M13 (see Next/Newest gear purchase thread) basically solved any issue that I had with fiddling with pedal settings when certain songs required it. Just the delays and the reverbs are stupid good. Also my tech no longer hates my guts! :toot:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
edit: Just in case this post makes no sense, I am recently started building up my pedal collection after a 10 year hiatus. Immediately I bought all the TC Electronic brand pedals I could get my hands on. Immediately, I felt weird for not having an eclectic bunch of pedals from different makers (or even a boutique!!).

Went in to the local music store and played a soul food, big muff, and a dark matter.

Ended up in love with the TC dark matter.

But damnit, I have a HoF, Flashback, Ditto, Chorona Chorus, and Mojo Mojo ....

It's hard to diversify the board when they all sound good for the price ...

Tell me I should go back and get the dark mater and that I'm not a loser for grabbing one.

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 21, 2016

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The dark matter is cool, it's 18v internally I believe and designed to go good with the mojo mojo.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
I just picked up a Tech 21 California (the least popular model in the Character series) used from a charming Newfie. Been wanting one for quite a while. Sounds good! So very loving loud. And ugly; at best it looks like a cheesy but competent home build. I've never actually played an early mesa so I can't really say how authentic it is, but it sounds like a really nice overdrive and distortion pedal, with the added feature of being a fantastic clean boost/EQ if you choose to set it up that way.

I'm sort of curious about the rest of the series now (other than the VT Deluxe which I have and think is okay).

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Anyone got any leads on modern replicas of the mu-tron biphase? or something with similar capabilities?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

muike posted:

Anyone got any leads on modern replicas of the mu-tron biphase? or something with similar capabilities?

I've seen guys with clones of the Bi-phase, but they're stupid expensive (like US$450).

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah I looked around a tiny bit and saw that. I guess it makes sense.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Check out my russian dude killing it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN6mh6WgU4k

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
one man in an apartment in russia making more innovative and cooler pedals than major companies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u11YsAc1HD8

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

If I don't buy a big sky and go for a descent instead will I regret it? Everything I've read makes it sound limited but I'm gas-ing and love my deep six.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

UncleBlazer posted:

If I don't buy a big sky and go for a descent instead will I regret it? Everything I've read makes it sound limited but I'm gas-ing and love my deep six.

Apples and oranges honestly but they're both amazing sounding pedals so I don't think you would be making a bad purchase either way.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

Apples and oranges honestly but they're both amazing sounding pedals so I don't think you would be making a bad purchase either way.

I've found free delivery and 10% off the new empress reverb in the uk. I'm going to just go for it and give that a go when it gets released next week.

I've always been impressed by strymon but want to try something new. Thanks for the advice!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have a curious question. EHX released the Crayon and a whole lot of people started speculating what it was based on (if anything), mainly citing Timmy's. All the conversations I've read basically ended with "well when it comes out we'll know what it is based on!" and then... nothing. No one has come out and said that it is or isn't based on anything.

I'm going to buy one, most likely, anyway, but I just wanted to know whether it was ever concluded if it was based on something else.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah, I heard a bit of speculation over at Reddit I believe but nobody came up with anything they could agree on. I don't think anyone's sat down and had a hard look at the internals to be honest.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I'm pretty sure any transparent drive pedal that comes out is automatically assumed to be a Klone/Timmy Clone even if there's absolutely no reason to think so (like the controls are totally different or something).

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Someone posted a good shot of one side of the PCB on thegearpage. I can't tell what it is just by looking, but maybe someone here can.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
My DigiTech Hardwire delay pedal has died. What's the go to delay pedal these days? Had a Boss dd3 before this that was decent before it died.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

There's boatloads of great ones depending on what you want out of it, no single go-to.

TC Flashback variants
MXR Carbon Copy
Line6 DL4
Catalinbread Belle Epoch or Echorec
Way Huge Supa Puss
EHX Memory Man variants
Etc. etc.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Dunno if they still make them but my Vox Time Machine is awesome. 6 seconds between taps!

Harvey Wallbanger
Aug 15, 2009
The other day I made a neat "pedalboard" out of one of those old suitcase-looking cassette tape holders that has a latch on it. Just pulled the plastic cassette rows out, cut a few holes for in/out and the power brick's power cord, popped the seam from the front panel so it can be lowered for easier steppin' on stuff, and started velcroing. It almost feels like one of those stupid "life hacks". I like it though. I just latch it up and carry it around. Really convenient.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Hoping someone can fill me in on this. I have a Digitech Bad Monkey. Good OD in and of itself, but I've been messing with the Mixer out option. It seems like even when the pedal is off it does a sort of speaker simulation, is that right? I found this out by running my Big Muff into it and comparing the two outs. The Amp out was fizzy and not nice as you'd expect straight from the pedal. Curiously when I plugged into the Mixer out into my interface it actually sounded decent. A bit boxy, but decent. Of course, engaging it puts a TS overdrive on top of a Muff so that didn't work too well. But it's kind of neat that it does that.

I started messing with it on the weekend because my bassist and I were just messing around with DI takes plus pedals. Ampltiube's bass model wasn't the best and we actually got better sounds from the Bad Monkey as a preamp. It's kind of neat.

But yeah, my question is if I am correct that it does some modelling "passively". The only downside is the EQ knobs don't work unless the pedal is engaged. Ah well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
The Bad Monkey's not true bypass (it's buffered bypass), meaning that whether it's on or off, your signal is going through a bunch of components in the pedal (in/output capacitors, etc), so it's gonna effect your tone (and definitely impedance) a bit just having it in your chain. Running a Big Muff with it is going to exaggerate the Monkey's effect on your tone a bunch because if the nature of fuzz pedals too.