Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mega Comrade posted:

To play Devils advocate, one is an MP challenging their leader and will lose. the other is cementing who our next Prime Minister is.

Relevant extra detail, I think.

Edit - 1960 - To Kill A Mocking Bird first released.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jul 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

According to the Telegraph the row over the motherhood comments was 'shattering' and reduced her to fits of tears. :(

Now I feel bad for her.

I don't. What she said was spectacularly awful.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

She also covered up immigrants getting raped at Yarl's Wood so y'know swings and roundabouts

I'd be interested to learn more about this.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Fans posted:

Labour can dust off all that "Unelected Brown" Tory stuff and do some name replace.

I think if anything the last year or so has shown that Labour should be walking back from this fake presidentialism and acting like they operate in the parliamentary system that we have.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Eagle doesnt appear to be a fan of her own voting-record.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/688164/angela-eagle-jeremy-corbyn-labour

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

A new Labour leader is maybe a problem five years from now. Needing to rely on the votes of turbonutters like Bill Cash will be a certain problem for the foreseeable future while negotiations with the EU are ongoing.

So you'd call a snap election then enjoy 5 years of smooth sailing? I like your thinking.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

Every MP (from every party) has to reapply to their local party to run again. It's usually a symbolic thing unless the MP has done something to piss off their constituency party. Mandatory re-selection would mean that every MP would need to go through the whole selection process for every election which in the Labour Party means they need to get on the shortlist provided to the CLP by the (marginally pro-Corbyn) NEC.

Ah, so it would mean that the CLP and the NEC would both have to power to kick out MPs they don't like? That makes sense, thanks.

qhat posted:

Leadsom is out

Best news I've heard all week, if true. I'm not exactly May's biggest fan, but I have some confidence that she'll only make things somewhat worse rather than much, much worse.

Breath Ray posted:

I'm inclined to believe Michael's excuse that he was alarmed by Boris's bizarre article and moved to crush him for the good of the UK. Expect to see him in a cabinet position soon. He was brilliant at MoJ

Gove's time at MoJ was... weird. We all know what he did at the DoE, but every policy I heard about while he was at justice was surprisingly decent and rehabilitation focused. Did the bad stuff just not get covered, or was this a stopped clock situation?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Tesseraction posted:

According to the Telegraph the row over the motherhood comments was 'shattering' and reduced her to fits of tears. :(

Now I feel bad for her.

leadsom? why

unless you mean may but tbh i couldn't give a gently caress about her either

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
For entertainment value I hope the 1922 committee recommend Boris as a replacement candidate.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

Gove's time at MoJ was... weird. We all know what he did at the DoE, but every policy I heard about while he was at justice was surprisingly decent and rehabilitation focused. Did the bad stuff just not get covered, or was this a stopped clock situation?

For one, he was following up Grayling, and even Gove can't be worse than Grayling.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Tesseraction posted:

One of the things that always bothered me with this graph is that while there is a much better egalitarianism of enrichment, why does the average income rate of change got sharply negative for the poorest, and more so under Blair than Thatcher/Major?

probably changes in classification under the hood

small changes (like eg swapping out a cash voucher for a travelcard for a subsidized travelcard) will do funky things to percentages when the base household income is very small

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

To play Devils advocate, one is an MP challenging their leader. the other is cementing who our next Prime Minister is.

Yeah tbh if I had a choice between the idiot stalking horse or the nutty eurosceptic I'd pick the latter for my scoop.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Christ say what you will about the Tories when the knives come out they become terrifyingly competent.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Breath Ray posted:

I'd be interested to learn more about this.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/mar/03/yarls-wood-may-state-sanctioned-abuse-women

LemonDrizzle posted:

A new Labour leader is maybe a problem five years from now. Needing to rely on the votes of turbonutters like Bill Cash will be a certain problem for the foreseeable future while negotiations with the EU are ongoing.

Considering half the Labour Party were on the verge of running off and joining up with half the Tories in event of a Leadsom win, surely she can rely on them.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

"Why did you vote in favour of all these awful policies that not a lot of Labour members support, and how does that make you a good leader?"

"I support Labour and you're a Twitter troll".

The more I hear and see of Angela Eagle, the worse she gets.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Yep. It's PM May.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Can we at least collectively pray that Ian Duncan loving Smith is not in charge of anything in this new shitshow?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
In 2014, the "unelected" President of the European Commission was confirmed by 425 MEPs, on the back of 38 million European citizens voting for European People's Party aligned national parties.

Meanwhile, our next Prime Minister has been chosen by 199 Tory MPs.

Isn't democracy just the best?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ronya posted:

probably changes in classification under the hood

small changes (like eg swapping out a cash voucher for a travelcard for a subsidized travelcard) will do funky things to percentages when the base household income is very small

Sounds fair. I can't deny that the Blair years did a lot for poorer households, but wouldn't that be a victory of Broon in his capacity as Chancellor? As well as the rotating door of the DWP in that time?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Annnnnd she's gone. Good lord.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
I head that now Leadsom is out Hameron has said he'll be back on the ballot. Can anyone confirm?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

So that's everyone from the leave campaign abdicating responsibility for the shitshow they started, then?

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006
So Leadsom is going to quit before I learned how to pronounce her name (seriously, would she Lead us off a cliff or beat us to death with a Lead pipe? I don't watch TV because it hurts my brain damage). I wonder which cabinet position will let her incompetence shine (all of them would obviously, but you know what I mean).

I was about to attempt a proper post with paragraphs and everything. I'd even planned footnotes. I'll save it for later once anarchy has returned to bedlam.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

TinTower posted:

In 2014, the "unelected" President of the European Commission was confirmed by 425 MEPs, on the back of 38 million European citizens voting for European People's Party aligned national parties.

Meanwhile, our next Prime Minister has been chosen by 199 Tory MPs.

Isn't democracy just the best?

Well, to be fair, the clue is in the titles.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Rolled Cabbage posted:

I head that now Leadsom is out Hameron has said he'll be back on the ballot. Can anyone confirm?

This makes absolutely no sense in any possible way.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Baron Corbyn posted:

So that's everyone from the leave campaign abdicating responsibility for the shitshow they started, then?

Pretty much, yeah. I wonder if they' ll have reunions behind the haunted painting they've slithered out of.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Well, to be fair, the clue is in the titles.

The President of the European Commission is the European analogue to the Prime Minister.

Also, a lot of heads of state in parliamentary systems are indirectly elected by Parliament. The only reason we don't is because our head of state is a monarch.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
While no one else is going to see it, Angela Eagle has just kicked off her Leadership campaign with the best timing ever.

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/752460363442982912

BBC got so bored of it they actually turned off the live feed two minutes in, presumably to go cover Leadsom instead.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rolled Cabbage posted:

No. A resigning leader is blocked from the ballot.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

This makes absolutely no sense in any possible way.

I'm not sure why you're expecting Tory party maneuvering to be sensical.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Rolled Cabbage posted:

I'm not sure why you're expecting Tory party maneuvering to be sensical.

The whole process, and actions of those taking part, has all been clear and made perfect sense.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

TinTower posted:

The President of the European Commission is the European analogue to the Prime Minister.
I guess you could say that the Commission is to the Government as the Commons is to the European Parliament, but I don't think it's a very meaningful or good comparison.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

nothing to seehere posted:

For one, he was following up Grayling, and even Gove can't be worse than Grayling.

That's one thing. But hes a fundamentally decent bloke too. Jist weird looking. I think he was unpopular at DfE because he had a real commitment to excellence and when Ofsted (rightly) made satisfactory into requires improvement everyone jumped on him for elitism because they don't like change.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

From 2010:

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
BBC are just killing Eagle with the photos they choose to use of her in their stories. There must be a handful of ones that don't make her look meek and terrified, even if she actually is all the time.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Fans posted:

BBC got so bored of it they actually turned off the live feed two minutes in, presumably to go cover Leadsom instead.
loving lmao

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/752462138858405888

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Haha, Leadsom withdraws to leave May uncontested on the same day a bitter Labour leadership contest officially begins.

There's deffo been some behind the scenes arms twisting

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Fans posted:

While no one else is going to see it, Angela Eagle has just kicked off her Leadership campaign with the best timing ever.

If only she'd waited a bit longer! It could've been perfect!

quote:

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/752460363442982912

She stand there, and there's words coming out of her mouth, but she says absolutely nothing at all. :psyduck:

Does she have any kind of platform or position, or is it just 'Corbyn Bad, Me Good'?

Wait.

Waitaminute.

Pissflaps, are you Angela Eagle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

I guess you could say that the Commission is to the Government as the Commons is to the European Parliament, but I don't think it's a very meaningful or good comparison.

In an electoral sense, they are very similar. In the other 27 member states, the entire political spectrum was clear that a vote for your national Conservative party was (typically) a vote for Juncker as President of the European Commission.

• Locked thread