Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

So how quickly do we think May is going to be officially appointed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

NRVNQSR posted:

Gove's time at MoJ was... weird. We all know what he did at the DoE, but every policy I heard about while he was at justice was surprisingly decent and rehabilitation focused. Did the bad stuff just not get covered, or was this a stopped clock situation?

speaking to someone who did prison work for the civil service he apparently started meddling with anti-radicalisation methods that were in fact very effective and hosed it all up because he has his ideas of how things are which are usually wrong

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
This country is just amazing.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

kustomkarkommando posted:

Haha, Leadsom withdraws to leave May uncontested on the same day a bitter Labour leadership contest officially begins.

There's deffo been some behind the scenes arms twisting

Lol. I honestly can't wait to see who labour elect this time.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Breath Ray posted:

Lol. I honestly can't wait to see who labour elect this time.

Labour are going to elect Corbyn.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Fans posted:

While no one else is going to see it, Angela Eagle has just kicked off her Leadership campaign with the best timing ever.

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/752460363442982912

BBC got so bored of it they actually turned off the live feed two minutes in, presumably to go cover Leadsom instead.

this is really embarassing to watch

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

So how quickly do we think May is going to be officially appointed

Daily Politics said that there's a speech from the chairman of the 1922 committee expected in half an hour or so, so it might be very soon indeed.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

So who's willing to bet Leadsom for Chancellor? Or Home Office?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Graham Brady has announced that 1922 committee will not re-open nominations. May has officially won.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
We're saved

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/752465961500938241

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

*Stands up applauding Angela Eagle as she exclaims "I am my own woman"*

Just kidding, I rolled my eyes and clicked off

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

stopfallingforitstopfallingforitstopfallingforit

If no other oval office can restrain themselves why should I bother?

At a certain point not replying to him is futile because nobody in this thread has the self-restraint to just ignore him and the tedious mini-Pissflaps who creep along from time to time before getting bored and slinking away again.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Junior G-man posted:

lol she'd be such a loving train wreck in either of these. stick her in the foreign office where nobody cares what she does

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

May winning no contest makes me think the odds of trying for a snap election in October might increase now

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Junior G-man posted:

Very unlikely. I wouldn't be surprised if she got some kind of very very junior cabinet position, but I don't think May's daft enough to give her any office with real power on the basis of two years of unrelenting incompetence as a junior Treasury minister and a failed leadership campaign.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Graham Brady has announced that 1922 committee will not re-open nominations. May has officially won.

Is this not somewhat dodgy? she runs against May all through the first rounds, potentially splits the votes that other candidates could get, and then just fucks off before a public vote.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Just to twist the knife into Labour

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

If no other oval office can restrain themselves why should I bother?

At a certain point not replying to him is futile because nobody in this thread has the self-restraint to just ignore him and the tedious mini-Pissflaps who creep along from time to time before getting bored and slinking away again.

I suppose it's reasonable for you to dedicate post after post to talking about me during politically quiet days like this. Not like there's anything else going on.

May winning no contest makes me think the odds of trying for a snap election in October might increase now

I agree with this, but im going to say the odds will decrease. Because that's what I think you meant.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

angela eagle would get crushed by may in a general election

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Whats the procedure for repealing the fixed term parliament act to enable this to happen?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Does the Commons have to vote on holding a snap election?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jose posted:

angela eagle would get crushed by may in a general election

We won't get to find out. It's Corbyn that's going to get stomped.

It'll be hilarious if he doesn't quit after that.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I agree with this, but im going to say the odds will decrease. Because that's what I think you meant.

thank you for your service pissflaps

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

It was a near certainty anyway, but now its a given - especially given how complete a mess the Labour party are. Expect the Tories to win with a massive majority and Labour to be ~150 seats - unless of course somehow Burnham gets Labour Leadership within a month then he would win it.

vodkat posted:

Whats the procedure for repealing the fixed term parliament act to enable this to happen?

Requires 2/3rd commons vote - and Corbyn is stupid enough to believe he could win a GE.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Yep, because of fixed term parliament act.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Is this not somewhat dodgy? she runs against May all through the first rounds, potentially splits the votes that other candidates could get, and then just fucks off before a public vote.

No it seems perfectly in keeping with what really has been an omnishambles of a campaign, and from what I've heard some pretty awful junior-ministering.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

vodkat posted:

I think they now need support of two thirds of parliament to call an early GE? Not sure since the rules changed.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

vodkat posted:

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Parliament needs a two thirds majority for "let's hold an election" or a simple majority for "no confidence in Her Majesty's Government".

Fixed Term Paliament Act just makes it so the PM can't go to the country on a whim, it's still fairly easy to arrange.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thank you for your service pissflaps
Support our troops (inc. airmen).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NLJP posted:

I think they now need support of two thirds of parliament to call an early GE? Not sure since the rules changed.

Yep, two thirds.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

TinTower posted:

From 2010:

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

This is great news. Looks like Remain will be crying on the other side of their faces now.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
So...I guess Theresa May is a sort of palette-shifted Thatcher? - like in 8-bit games where they re-use the same enemy sprites with the same AI and everything, but use a different colour ramp...?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

vodkat posted:

I would assume just a straight vote in Parliament...I don't think we have a constitutional mechanism to require anything else.

Edit: specifically to repeal the act I mean. Not hold an election while the act is still in place.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 11, 2016

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Hoops posted:

BBC are just killing Eagle with the photos they choose to use of her in their stories. There must be a handful of ones that don't make her look meek and terrified, even if she actually is all the time.

I realise there are very real issues involved with criticizing a woman in a position of power for her appearance and attitude. At some point I fully expect someone, somewhere in Momentum or the Corbyn camp (whether genuine idiot or agent provocateur) to go and say something awful about her, and that to dominate a media cycle or two with artificial hand-wringing designed to take the shine off Corbyn in the eyes of the socially liberal.

Having said all that. Every time I hear Eagle talk in front of a camera, I get the impression she doesn’t want to be there, and is somehow being blackmailed into this by some cabal in the PLP. Not that I’m saying a visual display of intense personal ambition is what I desire to see in a leader. But with Cobyn you can at least see how his convictions lead him to where he is, whereas I find it hard to see what is driving her other than 'forlorn hope' (in both meanings of the phrase).

TLDR: Give us a smile, love ;) (Yay ironic sexism!)

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

As anything else to do with Parliament, a majority of MPs can repel the FTPA (or call no confidence) and allow a GE to be called. I don't think there's room on the parliamentary schedule for this to happen before the summer recess, so October GE at earliest.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

We won't get to find out. It's Corbyn that's going to get stomped.

It'll be hilarious if he doesn't quit after that.

i think he'd do better than eagle but i agree

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

NRVNQSR posted:

Parliament needs a two thirds majority for "let's hold an election" or a simple majority for "no confidence in Her Majesty's Government".

Hmm are either of these feasible?

I can't see Labour MPs wanting to vote themselves out a job for the former option, and how could the Tories vote for no confidence in their new leader's government?

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

So...I guess Theresa May is a sort of palette-shifted Thatcher? - like in 8-bit games where they re-use the same enemy sprites with the same AI and everything, but use a different colour ramp...?

Is this your assessment based on carefully analysing her gender?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Breath Ray posted:

This is great news. Looks like Remain will be crying on the other side of their faces now.

Because Theresa May has singlehandedly saved the poond? Don't be daft - this is a moment of excitement. When the traders realise in 2-3 days that the UK is still leaving and hosed, it'll start slipping again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Breath Ray posted:

I thought a low pound is great news?

• Locked thread