Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pissflaps posted:

Hmm are either of these feasible?

I can't see Labour MPs wanting to vote themselves out a job for the former option, and how could the Tories vote for no confidence in their new leader's government?

add the fact may ruled it out so starts her tenure as PM by lying and its not a good look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Breath Ray posted:

This is great news. Looks like Remain will be crying on the other side of their faces now.

you can't have it both ways mate

it's either great news for exports that sterling is weak or great news that sterling is (briefly) recovering

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jose posted:

add the fact may ruled it out so starts her tenure as PM by lying and its not a good look

That'll be a piece of piss to spin away.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The pound is almost guaranteed to fall again once Carney drops interest rates.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Wouldnt a new GE open up for MP reselection? I find it very hard to believe the PLP would vote for a GE in that case.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Junior G-man posted:

When the traders realise in 2-3 days that the UK is still leaving and hosed, it'll start slipping again.

Try 15 minutes. It's back down to where it was first thing this morning.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...

Pay attention to the big chart! Ignore the decidedly more distressing little chart below! The big chart is the important one because it's bigger!

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

dispatch_async posted:

Try 15 minutes. It's back down to where it was first thing this morning.

More volatile than bitcoin lmao

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I for one am excited about the meteoric 0.75% rise in the value of the pound.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I don't really think it makes much difference whether the General Election is in December 2016 or May 2020. Either way the Conservative Party will increase their majority because Labour are an utter shambles. Corbyn's a rubbish leader, the PLP are pretending that we live in a world where their opinions matter more for choosing a party leader than members, & members are quite reluctant to go back to the old block vote and seem willing to lead the party into the wilderness to win the ideological...struggle isn't the right word. Handbag fight for the party's soul.

I mean I guess the Liberals could double their number of MPs, going from one to two or whatever, but unless the only thing you care about is the resurrection of the corpse of the Lib Dems a snap election will be disastrous for the majority of the country.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ukle posted:

Requires 2/3rd commons vote - and Corbyn is stupid enough to believe he could win a GE.

No it doesn't. It's 55% of MPs or, more conveniently, 50%+1 to repeal FTPA.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I thought that maybe the whole Conservative leader rigmarole was part of kicking Article 50 into the long grass for a while, with a new leader by the end of the week there's going to be little excuse for delaying it now.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

The pound is now back up to the best levels since 6am this morning! Wow!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Ugh i'm not looking forward to this clusterfuck.

I could actually cope with Corbyn going, but not to Eagle. We're going to go from impassioned hard leftist to centrist career politician who's main claim to fame is that she cried. May will destroy her.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 11, 2016

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

TinTower posted:

In 2014, the "unelected" President of the European Commission was confirmed by 425 MEPs, on the back of 38 million European citizens voting for European People's Party aligned national parties.

Meanwhile, our next Prime Minister has been chosen by 199 Tory MPs.

Isn't democracy just the best?

May's not PM yet. But when she is it'll be on the back of 340+ MPs (I think - the DUP still align with the Tories in these matters don't they?) not just 199.

But you know that and are just being deliberately disingenuous aren't you

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

Ugh i'm not looking forward to this clusterfuck.

I could actually cope with Corbyn going, but not to Eagle. We're going to go from impassioned hard leftist to centrist career politician who's main claim to fame is that she cried. May will destroy her.

Relax. Corbyn will win the Labour leadership contest. He's going nowhere.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Breath Ray posted:

This is great news. Looks like Remain will be crying on the other side of their faces now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I thought that maybe the whole Conservative leader rigmarole was part of kicking Article 50 into the long grass for a while, with a new leader by the end of the week there's going to be little excuse for delaying it now.

Except that Theresa May has said she's not going to do anything about Article 50 until the new year, so there's proper time for negotiations. Which the EU don't want to have until...yeah, it's a dumb plan but that's our PM.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

Relax. Corbyn will win the Labour leadership contest. He's going nowhere.

Eh, i'd have accepted Owen Smith. I don't get why they went with Eagle as their candidate.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

Eh, i'd have accepted Owen Smith.

You don't have to accept anyone. Corbyn isn't going to stand down or lose a leadership contest. He's going to be the Labour leader at the next general election.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i wonder how many brexit voters had summer holidays booked and hadn't bought any currency

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

You don't have to accept anyone. Corbyn isn't going to stand down or lose a leadership contest. He's going to be the Labour leader at the next general election.

Well I'd certainly hope so. But I figure the PLP has many more plans up their sleeve.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

i wonder how many brexit voters had summer holidays booked and hadn't bought any currency

Blackpool takes pounds.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
What would be the optics if May calls for an early election and it fails because Labour vote against?

I could see it falling either as "May is defeated on her first motion to the house" or "Labour are too chicken to contest an election". Honestly the latter seems more likely to me, and even if it's uncertain it seems like a fair gamble for May to take.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Regarde Aduck posted:

Well I'd certainly hope so. But I figure the PLP has many more plans up their sleeve.

if this is plan A, plans B through Z must be miserable

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Regarde Aduck posted:

After the utter incompetence of the Chicken Coup so far, never mind the bright, shining leadership campaigns of Burnham, Cooper, and Kendall?

What kind of Machiavellian master plot do you think the PLP has?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

What would be the optics if May calls for an early election and it fails because Labour vote against?

I could see it falling either as "May is defeated on her first motion to the house" or "Labour are too chicken to contest an election". Honestly the latter seems more likely to me, and even if it's uncertain it seems like a fair gamble for May to take.

Won't happen: Tories can revoke the FTPA with a majority, so don't need to bother with Labour support.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

Blackpool takes pounds.

why would anyone go to blackpool when there is lots of lovely countryside to visit

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

NRVNQSR posted:

Labour would be hosed, they'd be showing confidence in a Tory government.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Labour's PLP problem will soon be resolved.

There will be none of them left.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Decius posted:

I thought a low pound is great news?

Its great for half of us and not so great but still not unbearable for the other half. But the effects of a low or high pound are often overstated by those with little understanding.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

hookerbot 5000 posted:

the timetable may proposed was 'not until next year' as she wants to do negotiations before article 50. in theory it has shifted but we really have no idea until some actual policy is decided upon

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

NRVNQSR posted:

It'd be loving catastrophic for Labour to oppose. You'd have a Tory PM saying "it isn't acceptable for a prime minister to be appointed without a mandate from the electorate, so I wish to submit myself to the people's judgement" and Labour being forced to say "nuh uh".

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Ugh, never felt so depressed about politics, and it's been a depressing few weeks (and years). I may be driven to support the Lib Dems. See what has become of me!?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Cerv posted:

May's not PM yet. But when she is it'll be on the back of 340+ MPs (I think - the DUP still align with the Tories in these matters don't they?) not just 199.

But you know that and are just being deliberately disingenuous aren't you

340+ is still less than the 425 who voted for Juncker.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Corbynism is the homeopathy of parliamentary politics - the fewer MPs Labour has, the stronger the movement becomes.

Real change.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

mediadave posted:

Ugh, never felt so depressed about politics, and it's been a depressing few weeks (and years). I may be driven to support the Lib Dems. See what has become of me!?

What don't you like about Theresa May?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Tempted to make a tampermonkey script that hides all pissflaps posts that reference Jeremy Corbyn and also any posts that quote pissflaps posts that reference Jeremy Corbyn.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

nothing to seehere posted:

Won't happen: Tories can revoke the FTPA with a majority, so don't need to bother with Labour support.

That doesn't sound like a great idea. Surely repealing one of their own anti-corruption bills immediately before an election would be a bit of an own goal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
They won't trigger article 50 until France and Germany have their elections. You'd be mad yo start negotiations with the major 2 countries only to have the people you're negotiating with change.

• Locked thread