Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Zarya's M1 is night and day on QP vs comp. the increased tick rate on comp makes it so much easier to consistently track people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Katreus posted:

Code 7 (formerly Galeforce) was sort of ridiculous today in the Beyond the Summit Qualifier 1. They beat Northern Gaming Red 2-1, Luminosity Gaming 2-0, and Cloud 9 3-1 in successive matches to storm through and grab the last qualifying spot. It's amazing how much better they're playing since they left their sponsor.

So that's why I recognized the names of the players but not the name of the group. But yeah, I saw the game vs luminosity and they just got wrecked. Quite impressive.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Thanks to matching up with actual good pubbies who communicate I solo queued my way from the dredges of rank 43 back to 53. The quality of gameplay between rank 40's and 50's is hilarious. I can't even imagine what 20's and 30's must be like.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Rand Brittain posted:

Turrets are just awful. I really hate the way that all the heroes I like playing are also the ones whose answer to turrets is pretty much "die to it and come back as somebody else", like Zarya or Zenyatta. In theory Zenyatta should be able to kill them from range, but in practice they seem to be able to murder him at any distance.

It's infuriating.

Um, I hate to say it but if you're dying to turrets as Zarya your not really playing her well since she not only laughs at turrets she actually loves seeing them because they're dumb as a rock and don't know not to fire at her shields. Whenever I see a turret I pop my shield, stand infront of it, absorb the full charge then blow it and the dwarf up.

Zenyatta admittedly has a harder time against turrets but he can actually blow them up very quickly if he lands shots on them.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Zarya's M1 is night and day on QP vs comp. the increased tick rate on comp makes it so much easier to consistently track people.
Wait, what? Since when does comp have a higher tick rate?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Competitive games are played using custom mode. Custom mode has 60 tick rate because Blizzard wants to "explore it" and people to give them feedback about it.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mierenneuker posted:

Competitive games are played using custom mode. Custom mode has 60 tick rate because Blizzard wants to "explore it" and people to give them feedback about it.

I'm sure most of us are thinking about the competitive mode when we read "Competitive Games", not tournament pro games or scrims.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I thought comp mode was 60 tick as well? Or did they not include that when they released it?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

dat placebo effect

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
The ability to track targets was inside you all along

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Lost a competitive match, dropped 2 ranks from 59 to 57.

Won a competitive match, rose 0.1 ranks from 57.0 to 57.1.

Seriously? loving seriously?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

keyframe posted:

Thanks to matching up with actual good pubbies who communicate I solo queued my way from the dredges of rank 43 back to 53. The quality of gameplay between rank 40's and 50's is hilarious. I can't even imagine what 20's and 30's must be like.

painful (38 down to 33 atm)

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Ahhpple posted:

Yeah here https://www.twitch.tv/gosugamers/v/77316444?t=1h46m

We're not on stream anymore tho

Thanks, that was fun to watch.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Mierenneuker posted:

custom has the option for 60 tick, but it isn't on by default and I don't think Competitive Mode games use it

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
im suffering from ticks

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Lovechop posted:

im suffering from ticks

How many?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I thought comp mode was 60 tick as well? Or did they not include that when they released it?

No, Quick play and Comp have the same tick rate (client and server).

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Some times the ticks giveth and some times the ticks taketh. Yesterday in the morning I was landing hooks and rockets like a pro. In the evening I was whiffing every hook and firing rockets into walls in front of me.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

TheresaJayne posted:

We were in a comp match and one person left, we all had a countdown to "you may leave without penalty in "

Once that hit 0 i was suddenly 1 mercy Vv another team

If I had been on the opposing team, I would have motioned to let you win.

Sure, a 6 vs 5 is fair game, but I would feel terrible stomping a single opponent.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
This is just so... beautiful

https://gfycat.com/SociableJointCowbird

Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Tick rate doesn't influence the rate at which you can lightning gun geeks down. Hit-registration is heavily lag compensated in all modern games. A low tick rate is frustrating because it makes it impossible for you to press shift to stop yourself from feeding because the lag compensation system heavily favors the damage dealer. I' regularly run into situations where I wraith form half a second before dying on my screen as reaper, but still die anyway. It's even worse for zarya where you have to deal with a stupid animation on top of all of the lag.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The gun only does damage every tick so it is strange to track (try swiping across someone skinny and you wont do any damage)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

flashman posted:

The gun only does damage every tick so it is strange to track (try swiping across someone skinny and you wont do any damage)

ive given up trying to hit human d.va form with it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Density posted:

Tick rate doesn't influence the rate at which you can lightning gun geeks down. Hit-registration is heavily lag compensated in all modern games. A low tick rate is frustrating because it makes it impossible for you to press shift to stop yourself from feeding because the lag compensation system heavily favors the damage dealer. I' regularly run into situations where I wraith form half a second before dying on my screen as reaper, but still die anyway.
That would happen regardless of client update rate because even at 20 it makes up a minority of the lag lag compensation is compensating for.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Xaris posted:

ive given up trying to hit human d.va form with it.

At least you can actually see pulot d.va, unlike those tracers who seem to be able do to all their bombing in between ticks.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I should play more 76. Pharah has ridiculous highs and is more fun but I more consistently do work with 76. Only problem is it feels like when I multi-gold with Pharah I made things possible. I made plays or opened up paths or broke defenses. When I multi-gold with 76 it usually just feels like we're stomping and I'm the one who gets to show off for it.

I don't know if the numbers bear that out but it's how it's felt.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I should play more 76. Pharah has ridiculous highs and is more fun but I more consistently do work with 76. Only problem is it feels like when I multi-gold with Pharah I made things possible. I made plays or opened up paths or broke defenses. When I multi-gold with 76 it usually just feels like we're stomping and I'm the one who gets to show off for it.

The thing about 76 is that nothing about him really feels spectacular, yet he is great for keeping the skies clear (which is huge), quickly burning down an opposing Reinhardt's shield, or just general frontal DPS. He's someone that helps keep the tip of the spear lunging forward instead of stagnating, and since he is fairly bland and sometimes boring to play, people forget this. He is literally an FPS US Marine.

I would 76 all day if A: Roadhog wasn't so much fun and B: he was better at insta-gibbing on flank attacks.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

mcbexx posted:

If I had been on the opposing team, I would have motioned to let you win.

Sure, a 6 vs 5 is fair game, but I would feel terrible stomping a single opponent.

Pity there isn't really a 'concede' option in competitive as I feel that's a situation that would definitely warrant it.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
While we're on the subject of 76, why is his number 76 exactly?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

whatspeakyou posted:

While we're on the subject of 76, why is his number 76 exactly?

It's something to do with America and 1776 when they did stuff.

1776 is when America declared themselves independent. The spirit of '76 is a sentiment that refers to that as well.

Soldier is Overwatch's Captain America.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 11, 2016

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's his age

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nehru the Damaja posted:

76 is more of a well-rounded workhorse hero with a straightforward "shoot them with your gun, fall back to heal, also sprint" skillset. He's good in any comp and generally if you're doing good as 76 the rest of your team is doing well too.

It goes without saying that his biotic field has really good synergy with Lucio's healing when you're holding a stationary point. He's sort of my go-to competitive hero (absent a known need for a specific counter) when playing effortwatch but also a decent fallback when I'm playing laffowatch and don't feel like eating loss #4 in a row to ult-stacking afterschool ritalin crew even if QP doesn't mean anything.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Soldier basically has no real weaknesses or counters other than just being better/worse at shooting people, and he's got a lot going for him. He will also basically fit into any composition and there's no real scenarios, other than the person playing him being bad, where I'd ever think to myself "Gee, I wish that soldier would pick someone else"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've found that making my baseline heroes Mercy, Lucio, Rein and Soldier 76 basically mean I can fill any necessary slot without too much trouble.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
ive tasked myself with getting good at pharah and its more enjoyable than i expected

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

76 and Reaper are the only heroes we actually don't know their real age, so I'm going to assume that his official age is "Too drat old for this poo poo"

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Snazzy Frocks posted:

ive tasked myself with getting good at pharah and its more enjoyable than i expected

I just started doing this too. Flying around and raining infinite rockets onto people (who for some reason can't look up???) is a lot of fun.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Reyes is also too old for this poo poo, but I guess he's permanently locked in too old for this poo poo because of his condition.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The real answer is because Chris Metzen had an original character do not steal called Soldier 76 that he decided to stick into the game and here we are. Lorewise I vaguely recall something about Morrison being the 76th recipient of whatever super-soldier program Mercy cooked up back in the Overwatch days but I may simply have imagined that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Mercy's age makes no sense. Wasn't Overwatch disbanded about 30 years prior to the game's date? That means in her primary Overwatch days she would have been 7, but thanks to her magical not aging ability she probably looked 2 years old.

Jack was definitely a young man when Overwatch was disbanded.