Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

There's just...so much going on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mu Zeta posted:

There is going to be a 21 Jump Street/Men in Black crossover film. Close enough.

As I understand it, the original ghostbusters script / studio pitch was closer to Men in Black than the final movie became. Belushi and Aykroyd as government agents/paranormal investigators traveling the astral planes chasing down troublesome ghosts.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

goose fleet posted:

Front page of Imgur:

"All the lead characters are women! The only man is a useless idiot who has to get possessed to do anything important to the plot so the women can save him! I'm certain that if the genders were reversed here, everyone would be just as mad!"

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

When Soylent is donating meals to the hungry, is it actual food or is it cadmium heavy slurry? I don't want to subject hungry people to Soylent.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I just don't get why you'd name a product after the food made out of people in a dystopian film.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

NotAnArtist posted:

I would be happy with seeing ''idiots on social media: untainted by cooties''

:same:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Henchman of Santa posted:

I just don't get why you'd name a product after the food made out of people in a dystopian film.

I would prefer it it were made out of people, it might taste better and have actual nutritional value

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

Rhineheart actually named it after the Soylent from the original novel, which was just an artificial meat made of soy and lentils (hence the name). The very loose film adaptation is what made Soylent Green people. Rhineheart is just clueless enough to not really understand which product everyone would associate it with first, or the implications of naming it after a food used to feed a dying overpopulated world in the first place.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 14:26 on Jul 11, 2016

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It gets a lot of free press because of it's name.

It's Ensure for young people, but that's not as fun to talk about.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Krispy Kareem posted:

It gets a lot of free press because of it's name.

It's Ensure for young people, but that's not as fun to talk about.

Well, Ensure was never sold as a 100% meal replacement for people who think they're too busy and efficient to cook and eat real food. It's supposed to be a nutritional supplement for people with medical problems. Rob Rhineheart is just completely crazy and wants everyone to give up eating, tear down grocery stores to build parks, put magnets in their fingers to feel electricity, and throw out their clothes when they get dirty and buy new ones from China to save on water.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Well, Ensure was never sold as a 100% meal replacement for people who think they're too busy and efficient to cook and eat real food. It's supposed to be a nutritional supplement for people with medical problems. Rob Rhineheart is just completely crazy and wants everyone to give up eating, tear down grocery stores to build parks, put magnets in their fingers to feel electricity, and throw out their clothes when they get dirty and buy new ones from China to save on water.

What an idiot. Doesn't he know how wasteful it is to produce new products just because the old one got a little dirty? If he really cared about saving resources he'd just wear one shirt and one pair of pants forever without wasting water by washing them.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I wish the Idiots of Imgur thread was still open because that website has become a steaming pile of poo poo. It's like someone just purified all the negative things people say about reddit and put it on one site.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Gaunab posted:

I wish the Idiots of Imgur thread was still open because that website has become a steaming pile of poo poo. It's like someone just purified all the negative things people say about reddit and put it on one site.

Wasn't it created for Reddit users?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I just find it really strange that Ghostbusters seems to sacred to some people, my brother in law is the same way and he has all the Ghostbusters on DVD, posters, he follows like a Ghostbusters fan page on Facebook and he buys a lot of Ghostbusters merchandise. As you can imagine, he hates this new remake coming out. I don't get it, I mean this movie is basically a Saturday night live movie and they are all pretty bad. What makes Ghostbusters so different that it has this following?

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

into the void posted:

I don't hate this.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I just find it really strange that Ghostbusters seems to sacred to some people, my brother in law is the same way and he has all the Ghostbusters on DVD, posters, he follows like a Ghostbusters fan page on Facebook and he buys a lot of Ghostbusters merchandise. As you can imagine, he hates this new remake coming out. I don't get it, I mean this movie is basically a Saturday night live movie and they are all pretty bad. What makes Ghostbusters so different that it has this following?

Some people just latch on too stuff like this. It's usually when you are very specific and impressionable age. I have it with music more than films.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I refuse to believe most of these people were this attached to a mildly amusing 80s comedy before a remake with femalezzzz was announced.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

zakharov posted:

I refuse to believe most of these people were this attached to a mildly amusing 80s comedy before a remake with femalezzzz was announced.

https://twitter.com/GabrielDreyfuss/status/734543740652638208

TinTower has a new favorite as of 15:59 on Jul 11, 2016

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

zakharov posted:

I'm guessing this is definitely it. If they were all guys we'd get eye-rolling at worst.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Boywhiz88 posted:

Wasn't it created for Reddit users?

Yeah but the community is horrible in their own special way.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Ghostbusters is loving great, can't believe this is a minority opinion up in here but there you go

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

The originals are great kids films that kind of stay entertaining as you get older, and haven't really aged at all. I was surprised when I looked it up that at 33, I'm still too young to have remembered the film's release, yet I do feel a nostalgia for it, along with so many others.

Combine that with the fact that a sequel has been rumoured for literally decades, and I kind of get why people are funny about it.

Personally I'm totally behind the female cast, and think getting the original old codgers back would have been pathetic. I'll watch it, and it will have no bearing on how I feel about the originals.I thought terminator 3 was total garbage, but I don't fly off into a rage that it ruined 1 and 2, because they're still ace. Same with the Star Wars prequels.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The "I don't know if this was a race thing or a lady thing" line in the trailer makes me laugh every time. Leslie Jones can't act at all but she's hilarious.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

EvilGenius posted:

Personally I'm totally behind the female cast, and think getting the original old codgers back would have been pathetic. I'll watch it, and it will have no bearing on how I feel about the originals.I thought terminator 3 was total garbage, but I don't fly off into a rage that it ruined 1 and 2, because they're still ace. Same with the Star Wars prequels.

Combined with the earlier people talking about remakes/reboots "replacing" the originals in OG fans' minds, I think the reptile-brain fear they have is that then other people will hear them saying they're a "Ghostbusters fan" or a "Star Wars fan" or a "Mad Max fan" or whatever and think that what they mean is the new thing; and if the new thing is headed by women then it means the OG dude is saying he's into feminist-propaganda chick movies :tinfoil:

In the case of the Star Wars prequels it's a 30-something guy being terrified of being lumped in with a 15-year-old fan of Jar Jar Binks. You don't know maaaan, you weren't there

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!
I think it would get a lot less hate if it was doing anything at all original instead of being what appears to be a remake of the first movies. Everyone is loving tired of origin stories.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Since Pokemon Go was brought up a bit ago, have this bit.

The comments are already dismissing it with "that's not how the game works" as well they should, but the IOSM is that there are still plenty of these pictures that exist that seem to think it does.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Slime posted:

What an idiot. Doesn't he know how wasteful it is to produce new products just because the old one got a little dirty? If he really cared about saving resources he'd just wear one shirt and one pair of pants forever without wasting water by washing them.

His reasoning is that washing clothes on average uses more water than producing new clothes, so he wears his stuff until it's too dirty/smelly to wear and then throws it out. He never really explains how he justifies the environmental impact of international shipping to transport said clothes from China. I guess he thinks if the world switched to 100% electric and hydrogen-powered vehicles, that problem can be handwaved away.

He's the typical utopian crazy who thinks that he's figured out the secret to perfection, and if everyone would just follow his simple way of life then world peace and equality would be achieved. There's an interactive theatre/game experience called When Shadows Fall running previews in Orlando right now, set in a collapsing utopia. They did some in-character blogs for the founder of the society, and his attitude is incredibly similar to Rhineheart's "I am perfect, everyone else in the crumbling modern society needs to follow my perfection" attitude.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Pokemon Go gently caress Yourself :smug:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Aphrodite posted:

The "I don't know if this was a race thing or a lady thing" line in the trailer makes me laugh every time. Leslie Jones can't act at all but she's hilarious.

I laughed way too much at that line in the trailer :3:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

zakharov posted:

I think it's been pretty popular ever since it originally came out.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Since Pokemon Go was brought up a bit ago, have this bit.

The comments are already dismissing it with "that's not how the game works" as well they should, but the IOSM is that there are still plenty of these pictures that exist that seem to think it does.
Should they? Seems like someone was just making a joke and your objection to it is ":goonsay: well, actually, that couldn't happen in real life because..."

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

TokenTrevor posted:

I think it would get a lot less hate if it was doing anything at all original instead of being what appears to be a remake of the first movies. Everyone is loving tired of origin stories.

It pretty much is a remake going by early reviews and so on. It's especially weird because the director bent over backwards claiming how it totally wasn't a remake or anything, it's going to be its own thing!

Even the sequel hook is GBS2's plot. :effort:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They already made a Ghostbusters movie that ruined everything.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pot Of Shoe posted:

Pokemon Go gently caress Yourself :smug:

gently caress You, Pokemon GOt Mine.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Tiggum posted:

I think it's been pretty popular ever since it originally came out.

Should they? Seems like someone was just making a joke and your objection to it is ":goonsay: well, actually, that couldn't happen in real life because..."

Pointing it out is a little bit pedantic, but a joke about a specific topic kinda needs an understanding of, at the very least, its basics to work.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SpacePig posted:

Pointing it out is a little bit pedantic, but a joke about a specific topic kinda needs an understanding of, at the very least, its basics to work.

I know the basics of Pokemon Go (Play a Better Game) and still found the joke funny. So no, not really.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Postal Parcel posted:

"Did you know that the Irish were slaves too and that the Africans sold other Africans to the whites? But where's my white history month or WET*? Morgan Freeman once said**" :suicide:

* Like MTV isn't WET already
** My favorite thing about Morgan Freeman's quote is that he was factually wrong about there being a Jewish History month. Great Job

https://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=461964133

I count 2 white history months, 3 if you count financial literacy month.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Here is a good pokemon go joke

quote:

Singapore property portal 99.co has fired an employee for making disparaging remarks about Singapore on Facebook.

The employee, Mr Sonny Truyen, had posted in a Facebook discussion thread that "you can't f***ing catch pokemon in this piece of f***ing s*** country".

- See more at: http://news.asiaone.com/news/singap...h.EuY41dwt.dpuf

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Who What Now posted:

I know the basics of Pokemon Go (Play a Better Game) and still found the joke funny. So no, not really.

You found it funny because you don't know. The OP could have gotten that Pikachu without stopping the kids because it's instanced. One person catching doesn't remove it for anyone else. So they were an rear end for no reason.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

Me too, this thread rarely covers imgur and instead focuses almost entirely on Facebook. There's more than enough content for an imgur thread.

into the void posted:

Putting aside the horrible meme background, the irrelevant Joker pic, and the lovely watermark, I don't hate this either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Avenging_Mikon posted:

You found it funny because you don't know. The OP could have gotten that Pikachu without stopping the kids because it's instanced. One person catching doesn't remove it for anyone else. So they were an rear end for no reason.

That makes it funnier.