Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, but Burton's Batman also set random mooks on fire and smiled as they horribly burned to death. Just as much a gross mischaracterization.

I'm someone who thinks Batman's wrong for not killing, but that doesn't mean it's not a lovely interpretation of the existing character.

More people saw the 1989 Batman film than have read Batman comics and that makes it the prevalent version of Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

More people saw the 1989 Batman film than have read Batman comics and that makes it the prevalent version of Batman.

More people have seen the Nolan Batman films at this point and it's much fresher in people's minds.

I like the Burton Batman better myself but I really doubt it's still the prevalent version of Batman to the general public.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Well, they probably would be to people who watched it as a kid and have their definition of Batman come from it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Travis343 posted:

More people have seen the Nolan Batman films at this point and it's much fresher in people's minds.

I like the Burton Batman better myself but I really doubt it's still the prevalent version of Batman to the general public.

That Batman let Liam Neeson die so in the public mind he's a murderer.

I can go on and on, I've had to endure these stupid arguments at the store for years.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rhyno posted:

That Batman let Liam Neeson die so in the public mind he's a murderer.

The literal line of dialog is "I'm not going to kill you, but I don't have to save you." It's probably the single most memorable line from Begins, the one that explicitly states that Batman doesn't kill.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

The literal line of dialog is "I'm not going to kill you, but I don't have to save you." It's probably the single most memorable line from Begins, the one that explicitly states that Batman doesn't kill.

Read the second half of my post. I'm clearly not being serious.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can say that before shooting someone too, doesn't make them less dead.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

I'm not going to kill you, but I don't have to to pull you out of the way of my bullets.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Like by any interpretation, Batman murdered the hell out of Ra's. He's just justifying it to himself, because he needs to.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rhyno posted:

Read the second half of my post. I'm clearly not being serious.

Oh I misunderstood the post, I thought you were expressing the argument-ending bon mot over portraying how that dumb argument always spins up.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Aphrodite posted:

Except the entirety of the train thing was a weapon of Ra's design backfiring on him and killing him. Your analogy fails centrally.

I actually agree that Batman not going out of his way to save Ra's is a character move that's against his best possible characterization (saving everyone he can under every possible circumstance no matter what, preventing all crimes no matter how small and caring for his enemies no matter how indefensible they are), but he didn't kill Ra's. He neglected to save Ra's from himself, which bears a certain level of responsibility but by any measurement isn't "killing" them.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

"When you think about it laterally, this car accident is kind of like you turning your car into a weapon, ergo"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's just a monorail until Gordon destroys the tracks, after Batman showed him how.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
In the comics, Bruce fired Azrael's rear end for doing something similar. Just sayin'.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Reminder Batman locked KGBeast in a dungeon with no way out, Magneto style.

Edit: yeah 20 issues later he told Nightwing he'd informed the cops but that's a retcon and y'all know it

Emo Szyslak fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 11, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Batman totally killed Ra's in begins.

Also my phone's autocorrect apparently knows Ra's is a name

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

When Talia accuses Batman of murdering Ra's he just says "yeah, he was going to destroy the city".

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
I've been forced to accept that movie Batman will always be more comfortable with killing (directly or indirectly,) than comic book Batman. I'm never going to be comfortable with it, but I doubt it'll ever change. Something about movies seems to make it inevitable.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
At least with Nolan Batman you can make the argument that when he lets Ra's die it's a deliberate authorial choice to show that he's not yet the fully-formed Batman, because at the end of Dark Knight he's faced with the same situation with the Joker and goes way out of his way to save Joker's life.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I wish I had more of a backbone on Tumblr.

There's this creepy guy who started following both my blogs that said that people should be objectified and sexualized, and I just can't get the willpower to just block him and be done with it.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Roth posted:

There's this creepy guy who started following both my blogs that said that people should be objectified and sexualized, and I just can't get the willpower to just block him and be done with it.

P. cool that you're getting shitposts from the late Gene Roddenberry, though.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Squizzle posted:

P. cool that you're getting shitposts from the late Gene Roddenberry, though.

Oh I wish that were the case.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is he actively responding to your stuff or just following it? Personally I'm okay if lovely people want to follow my stuff as long as they're not spammers or whatever, but if he's actively making your stuff shittier then you should block block block!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sometimes blocking people is the only option.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lurdiak posted:

Sometimes blocking people is the only option.

There is. Lot to unpack here.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Chaos Hippy posted:

I've been forced to accept that movie Batman will always be more comfortable with killing (directly or indirectly,) than comic book Batman. I'm never going to be comfortable with it, but I doubt it'll ever change. Something about movies seems to make it inevitable.

It helps that movies are episodic before reboots so they don't have to come up with the excuse to keep villains around. There's also something about the action movie DNA-I think there was an article on ComicsAlliance that talked about it.

Roth posted:

Do it impulsively without thinking. lovely people don't deserve you.

Mr Hootington posted:

There is. Lot to unpack here.

:stonk: You got that right. Jesus.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
My brother and sister in law just gave birth to a baby boy. How early is too early to get a kid into comics?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
You haven't already been reading it comics in the womb? Shame.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Buy him toys of comic characters so he learns to love them before he can even read.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Endless Mike posted:

Is he actively responding to your stuff or just following it? Personally I'm okay if lovely people want to follow my stuff as long as they're not spammers or whatever, but if he's actively making your stuff shittier then you should block block block!

I just kinda ignore them for the most part while occasionally wondering if I should block them before they become an actual problem. I guess at that point I wouldn't feel so bad about it.

Madkal posted:

My brother and sister in law just gave birth to a baby boy. How early is too early to get a kid into comics?

Either go hard and start them off with Grant Morrison's run on Doom Patrol, or don't even bother.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

As soon as the kid is old enough to handle a crayon (which is super-early, if it's someone else's kid [other people's children always seem to age faster]), play with them by drawing multiple pictures to make a story. I don't know if this helped or just made me feel good, but I stripped my drawings down to stick figures and basic shapes at flat angles, with the children. I slowly ramped up the complexity as they got older and more competent, so that, in my mind, the level of skill I was using would feel within the child's grasp. It's super important to me that they feel encouraged to at least try, and not dunking on them artistically seemed like it might help.

Also, a loooot of children's books use the artistic language of comics. Start pointing out dialogue balloons, and say that the pointy part, that tail, points to the person who is saying those things. There's a book, Night Night, Cuddly Bear—an insipid garbage tome, but what can you do—that has a story-within-the-story depicted with a page of actual (wordless) comics panels. Just point out "panel" and "gutter", then "read"/narrate the panels to tell a story. Get the kid to join in.

A lot of getting a small child interested in a thing, is helping them get to a place where they feel they understand it enough. Small children love predictability, stability, and a sense of control and accomplishment. Any time they don't feel helpless, unfamiliar with the world, and lacking authority—they're having a good Kid Moment. Make comics comfortable, even if it's just by teaching them enough basic terms that they feel like they've been initiated into some Special Grown-up Knowledge, and you've made them at least for now a comics fan.

Also, read comics in front of them. Like, all the time. Call them over and ask them questions about what's happening on the page as you read.

You can start building a kiddo's love of comics very, very early, is what I'm saying.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

When they're about 8, what you want to do is buy the whole family a night out at the movies.

Then you get yourself a mask, and wait in an alley nearby.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
Hickmans F4/FF/Avengers and New Avengers/SW saga should get the child in

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
I take my kids to the comic shop all the time. The $0.25 bin is a god-send.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Ferrule posted:

I take my kids to the comic shop all the time. The $0.25 bin is a god-send.

Good call, but the last time I took my nieces in they tried to get about 60 dollars each worth in graphic novels of various qualities. After that it has been amazon orders all the way.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think a good alternative would be to introduce them to the character through animated adaptations. Might make them interested in checking out the source material if they're already familiar with the characters in some form.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Roth posted:

I think a good alternative would be to introduce them to the character through animated adaptations. Might make them interested in checking out the source material if they're already familiar with the characters in some form.

Could lead to turning them off comics forever in case of any future Starfire incidents, though. Or it could be worse: Imagine being a kid who likes Speedy a lot so someone grabs you Rise of Arsenal.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

Funny thing is that with my nieces I got them season 1 of Teen Titans and they were in love with that show. They pretty much watched it every day. Would never get them any of the comics though. Been buying them mostly Archie stuff and Gotham Academy. The oldest (10) is reading Ms. Marvel at the moment but it is kind of hard to gauge how into it she is.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Teen Titans comics are definitely not for younger kids. I find it funny that the show was apparently pitched as a Young Justice adaptation at first, and adapted the way more serious Teen Titans comics.
Then the actual Young Justice show adapted the more silly comic series with a far more serious tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Madkal posted:

If they haven't become jaded and cynical over how bad modern comics are by the time they can walk, you've failed as an aunt/uncle.

E: more helpful answer, cartoons are a great start, not just comic book adaptations but stuff like old Powerpuff Girls and other shperhero-y stuff. Ideally they should be able to read before you give them a comic book.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 12, 2016

• Locked thread