Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
What determines if I, as a hunter, get downed or simply die immediately. I noticed sometimes I never entered the downed state I just simply died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

What determines if I, as a hunter, get downed or simply die immediately. I noticed sometimes I never entered the downed state I just simply died.

I think that only happens when you've already gone down twice before. Each time you go down, you get a strike. Strikes limit your max health and are displayed as white blocks on your health bar. After you go down twice, you'll have two strikes against your max health, amounting to a significant health penalty, and the next time you go down, you'll outright die instead.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
One thing to note is that Lazurus can use his device, 4 i think, to revive downed players to full health without them suffering a strike. If you want to reduce the cool down on the Lazurus Device you need to choose perks that give Hero Skill reduction.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Laz's device is his 2, not his 4. Skill cd reduction affects medic healing field, which is their 4.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Laz's device is his 2, not his 4. Skill cd reduction affects medic healing field, which is their 4.

OK so I guess Hero Ability Reduction would be 2 then.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I think you're misunderstanding. Ability Reduction affects class skills AKA 4. If it works on Laz's 2 then he is an exception, so I don't think it works that way.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Gunder posted:

I think that only happens when you've already gone down twice before. Each time you go down, you get a strike. Strikes limit your max health and are displayed as white blocks on your health bar. After you go down twice, you'll have two strikes against your max health, amounting to a significant health penalty, and the next time you go down, you'll outright die instead.

If you respawn does your health reset back to full along with resetting your strikes?

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

You respawn with 2 strikes if you were downed twice then die. If you are downed once and die/choose to respawn then you come back with 1 strike.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

You respawn with 2 strikes if you were downed twice then die. If you are downed once and die/choose to respawn then you come back with 1 strike.

And so you also respawn with less max health?

If you are downed three times and die immediately do you respawn with two strikes again?

Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!
In the tutorials they talk about killing wild life so the monster cant get it. Is that actually viable? It seems like it makes the most sense to avoid all wildlife aside from albinos. If you kill it the monster can still eat it, or does it become inedible after a time?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It will spoil so it's a risk/reward between starving and gorging the monster.

There used to be a real pretty infographic about albino buffs, anyone been able to find it?

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Knifegrab posted:

If you are downed three times and die immediately do you respawn with two strikes again?

Strikes are health reductions. Once you have strikes they're permanent. Any time you are downed while having 2 strikes means you instantly die. The only exception is Lazarus who can use his gloves to revive downed people with no strikes, and dead people with 1 strike.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

There used to be a real pretty infographic about albino buffs, anyone been able to find it?

Technically you're right and they spoil, but they changed animal spawns so it does nothing for the hunters to kill wildlife unless the monster wants to eat right next to the hunters. Animals spawn frequently enough that he will always have something to eat. The infographic showing certain spawns is outdated as the animal spawns are now changed, and a lot of the buff numbers have been lowered.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 11, 2016

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

Yes, you respawn with a permanently lowered max health if you have a strike or two. If you die three times, I think you're going straight to the dropship and will still have the 2 strikes against your health total no matter what. The only way to avoid this stuff is to have Lazarus rez you with his magic gauntlet.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Is it this one which was the first google result for the words "evolve albino buff"? :colbert:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Taiso posted:

In the tutorials they talk about killing wild life so the monster cant get it. Is that actually viable? It seems like it makes the most sense to avoid all wildlife aside from albinos. If you kill it the monster can still eat it, or does it become inedible after a time?

Dead wildlife should dissapear after a while, but time spent killing critters is time not being used to chase after the monster. Typically I'll just ignore most wildlife, shoot mantraps, and give sloths/spiders/other aggressive animals a wide berth. Albinos get attention only if they're in my path or near a generator that needs defending.

edit: Has anyone seen a Tyrant in stage 2 yet?

ChickenHeart fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 11, 2016

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Shakill OReal posted:

Is it this one which was the first google result for the words "evolve albino buff"? :colbert:

Almost all of these numbers are out of date. They have been reduced.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Can't believe they got rid of Bucket's UAV. I mean, sure, it was stupid and kinda lovely, but who doesn't want to take their head off and fly around like a dumb little robotman?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I asked my old group if that had a place any more with the trapper's new ability and then immediately saw that it was gone. Sooo.... Tadaaaa!

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Finally got matched against a premade that knew what they were doing and jesus christ. I think I got one knockdown the entire game and spent the last 4 minutes with no armor and them no more than 3 seconds away at any time.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

BinaryDoubts posted:

Can't believe they got rid of Bucket's UAV. I mean, sure, it was stupid and kinda lovely, but who doesn't want to take their head off and fly around like a dumb little robotman?

I haven't played in a long time but thought the UAV was cool. Did they replace it with something else?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
EMET seems like a swell guy

ChickenHeart fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 11, 2016

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Rasmussen posted:

I haven't played in a long time but thought the UAV was cool. Did they replace it with something else?

His 3 now is a fairly large AOE burst that super charges class abilities, including the support shield burst.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
they also added a really annoying screen shake to bucket's rocket fire, I think it might legit be bugged because of how jarring it is, I mean at least compared to how it used to be.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

It's so good. :allears: I wish his face would change whenever he flips personalities, though.

The characters in this are loving fantastic, which is a thing I was absolutely not expecting when I picked it up this week.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

So why the gently caress does it put people from my party into random games?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kild posted:

So why the gently caress does it put people from my party into random games?

poo poo netcode that they never tested.

I hope it is fixed by tomorrow or whenever they plan on "launching" the game again.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It's literally the most annoying thing fumbling with the party system trying to get in a game for 10 minutes.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I'm having tons of fun with this game. Hope they get a renewed playerbase and a second wind in general. I'm enjoying playing solo monster more than anything.

Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!
my game freaked out in a very weird way.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

have they said anything about f2p coming to consoles?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Awesome! posted:

have they said anything about f2p coming to consoles?

After the PC beta based on their forums posts.

Regarding Meteor Goliath - what exactly does he trade for the burn over time damage? Does he just deal less damage on initial hits?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Hank is the weirdest character. Every time I play him, the monster tunnel-visions on me super hard and there's not a whole lot I'm able to do since his shield generator doesn't actually protect him, making me a free dome break. What would be a good self-sustainable Support character to pick up?

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Sunny is probably the best support right now besides Hank.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
For Hank; if the monster is focusing on you then shield yourself with your 4 and then drop the orbital bombardment right at your feet. The monster then has to make a split second decision to try to finish you off or jump out of the way, giving you time to reposition.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I never know when to focus on damage dealing with Hank, and when I should be shielding people. I guess the right decision is to only focus on shooting when your group shield is up, or when the assault has their own shield active, right? I really like that Sunny can largely focus on damage and the occasional jetpack boost thanks to her shield drone.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
How is Torvald? Torvald and Parnell are probably the assaults I see the least and I dunno, I just get this sense that Torvald will be bad. He looks out of place and he sounds like he has a robot brain to go with the legs.

Had some fun with blitz markov when I wasn't feeling very Lennoxy.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Knifegrab posted:

Can do any heals revive downed players? Like if I am cara do my healing gas grenades revive downed players?

edit: I might try emit but I really want to try a trapper but I am so worried I will buy the bad one.

Yes, if you can heal the skull icon all the way up then the player will get back up. It's usually much easier/safer to do it this way as a medic unless the monster has run off/is really not paying attention to the body during a fight. Most new monsters will not know how to effectively camp down bodies for a while so enjoy it while you can :v:.

There is no "bad" trapper, just that they all play differently from each other and some can be more complex than others. Griffin and using his sound spikes effectively can be tricky when you don't know the maps for example while Crow is pretty dead easy as you can just throw the bird in the monsters direction and he'll get seen.

Especially now that the heat is off the trapper to do really well with domes you can just pick whoever you think looks the coolest. The answer to which is Abe.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Mister Bup posted:

How is Torvald? Torvald and Parnell are probably the assaults I see the least and I dunno, I just get this sense that Torvald will be bad. He looks out of place and he sounds like he has a robot brain to go with the legs.

Had some fun with blitz markov when I wasn't feeling very Lennoxy.

Torvald requires you to be accurate with his mortars. If you can reliably hit the monster with them then you'll do a ton of damage at range, but miss frequently and you'll probably be better off with a different assault.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I wasn't much of a Bucket player so I'm not too sad about his UAV's death (forcing any character to stand still is the worst idea in this game) but I think a smarter way of redoing him and that ability would be either to change his class over to tracker (since the UAV was obviously in contention with the point of the Tracker's existence) or make Bucket's body some kind of death trap while the UAV is deployed while also giving the UAV some abilities/restrictions like making it shoot out a booster beam for teammates, force it to stay within the vicinity of the body, or maybe have it be laser guidance for missiles that come out of Bucket's body. Really, there are a lot of ways to play with the "Bucket takes his head off" mechanic without having to outright remove it. Here's hoping they revisit and revise later down the line.

I remember when they were first releasing DLC/season pass content saying, "They should just change over to a League of Legends model," and I'm super happy they have (even if I was one of the idiots who shelled out for Monster Race edition but I have a salary so gently caress it) but I'm more hopeful than ever that this pays off in the end and they can actually keep development/balancing of the game running for more than a few months.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Generally the problem is that I'm waist-deep in the free to play zone, so getting healed at all during a given match is a crapshoot. Who needs to heal when we've got a grenade launcher, right guys?

• Locked thread