Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Powered Descent posted:

My favorite subspecies of that type are the ones who think for some reason that Star Trek is hard science fiction, and look down on all that space fantasy stuff in Star Wars.

"The Force? That's just goofy. Ghosts and telekinesis and seeing the future have no place in science fiction. Now let's all watch Wolf in the Fold, Plato's Stepchildren, and Cause and Effect to get the taste of it out of our mouths."

Yeah... because you know, in real life, aliens would look just like boring white people with funny foreheads glued on sometimes. And we'd totally be able to breed with aliens from other planets and make viable offspring. Oh, and there are multiple planets that are exactly like Earth, except history was slightly different. Like Earth, but the Roman Empire never fell. Or Earth, but with cavemen who were once Americans and Chinese complete with their flags. Or Earth, but with Gangsters. Or Earth, but with Nazis.

Oh, and computers explode in peoples' faces all the time and we can just reverse the polarity of the tachyon beams to invert the shield frequency remodulator.

Oh, also faster than light travel is totally possible. But watch out and make sure you don't go too fast, or you'll become a lizard.

Also you know, there's a lot of people who are under the impression that Star Trek has some rich adherence to consistency and continuity when in reality it contradicts itself all the goddamn time. Especially in TOS. Astroman was going on a rant about this but really, Star Trek has always played very fast and loose with continuity so Enterprise and JJ Trek contradicting things is nothing new at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Or Earth, but with Nazis.

You mean... Earth?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

You mean... Earth?

Well, an Earth that still has Nazis.

So in other words, this Earth.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Star Trek has always been extremely consistent since it began.

The Enterprise has always been a part of the United Earth Space Probe Agency. Spock was always a Vulcanian. Uhura only ever wore a gold uniform.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo, Dax's hair in DS9 season 3 is really horrible.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

FilthyImp posted:

The X-Files exploded in 92. DS9 and B5 were a year after.

Serialized shows before that were like Dallas and poo poo. X-Files proved that a cinematic style, serialized show could be popular and profitable. The Sopranos afterwards was the gold standard.

Then Lost came around later and everyone thought "I need to write something with a Mystery angle and also it needs to be serialized with dangling plot threads I pull out of my rear end."

Remember, though, that this was all a kind of rediscovery of the form. Serials are literally the oldest form of broadcast storytelling, going back to radio dramas (and before that, serialized novels).

Episodic TV is an invention of the syndication model.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

I wouldn't say Star Trek is "recovered". ST09 did okay in the box office, but general audiences have kind of forgotten it by now. The only people who really remember it are Trekkies. STID didn't do so hot. Both of them are kind of disposable Hollywood blockbusters and aren't that big in the cultural zestiest. They didn't really bring in a bunch of new fans.

In fact, barely any of my friends like Star Trek. I grew up with it in the 90s and I'm one year away from being 30. Almost nobody under 30 likes Star Trek, mainly because the height of the franchise was in the 90s and it slowly declined into obscurity by the end of the decade. The last Star Trek show that was big was TNG. Right now, the "hot" "geeky" things are Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Marvel and Dr. Who. Star Trek is relatively unpopular, mainly because it hasn't been on air for a decade and its last few years on TV sucked.

I doubt the new show will really "bring it back" because it's on CBS all access. The only people who will watch it are existing fans, it won't get new ones.

So JJTrek hasn't really "revitalized" the franchise, if anything it just kept it running on life support. When the movie came out I was pretty hopeful that it would spawn a new TV series, but it's been 7 years. They waited a long time between movies and finally making a show. ST09 and STID are the only Star Trek things we've gotten since Enterprise was cancelled in 2004. It's been well over a decade since Trek has been on TV. The JJ movies are better than nothing, but for the most part, things feel pretty quiet on the Star Trek front.

I think people were just happy enough to have a new Star Trek movie that wasn't a total disappointment, despite its weaknesses.

The critical/fan backlash on Into Darkness was almost immediate, however. What a dumb, pointless movie.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I think people were just happy enough to have a new Star Trek movie that wasn't a total disappointment, despite its weaknesses.

The critical/fan backlash on Into Darkness was almost immediate, however. What a dumb, pointless movie.

Yeah, ST09 was a pretty decent start. Too bad they botched everything they did after it, though.

Into Darkness is so bad. The movie seriously has no coherent plot, it's just a bunch of scenes strung together because they had a list of things they wanted in the movie. If they cut out Khan entirely and just focused on Admiral Robocop trying to start a war with the Klingons, it could have been a decent movie. Instead, it's a nonsensical mess. We have Khan smuggling guys in torpedoes and the most cringe-worthy scene in a Trek movie since Star Trek V.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

In the UK trek would show once a week (Tuesday I believe) on BBC 2 after the simpsons, after that the shows were premièred on cable and when it was finished Trek shows were used to fill out Sky One's schedule after its attempts at original programming fell through and it was just left with the simpsons. You could watch something like four to eight episodes of TNG (in random order which made two parters a real pain) a day, and about the same for Voyager. DS9 was shown once a day at six o'clock in the morning, I discovered that while waiting for a taxi to the airport.

It got better in the mid 2000's though, around about the time DVD sales for tv shows became really big, Sky added DS9 back into the mix.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I remember when Spike got the DS9 air rights and it hosed up my ability to watch it at a reasonable time.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I just watched "Measure of a Man," for the first time in many years. I thought there was no way it would hold up but holy hell is it good. Patrick Stewart just relishes all those lines, but then so does everyone else: Frakes gets a chance to be so conflicted, Whoopi nails her small part, and the Judge plays extremely well off of Stewart - well except that they were apparently supposed to have sexual chemistry. I'm sure everyone is going to tell me that it's actually garbage but my eyes were glued to the screen like the first time I watched it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Skeesix posted:

I just watched "Measure of a Man," for the first time in many years. I thought there was no way it would hold up but holy hell is it good. Patrick Stewart just relishes all those lines, but then so does everyone else: Frakes gets a chance to be so conflicted, Whoopi nails her small part, and the Judge plays extremely well off of Stewart - well except that they were apparently supposed to have sexual chemistry. I'm sure everyone is going to tell me that it's actually garbage but my eyes were glued to the screen like the first time I watched it.

I highly doubt anyone in this thread will tell you it's garbage. That's ranked up there as one of the best TNG episodes.

My favorite part is Data complimenting Riker for doing his duty well, as well as Riker's guilt about almost getting his friend sent away and disassembled.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So one relatively big spoiler about the end of Beyond has hit, corroborated by multiple sources (no, it's not about a character death):

They do get an NCC-1701-A to continue the five-year mission. However, it's almost identical to the slightly refitted Constitution-class that we already see in the beginning of the film, with a slightly darker paint job and a few cosmetic changes here and there.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=486zGQIyaUE

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

All the Picard love-life episodes are tied for The Worst.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hey, hey, now. Don't you go talking poo poo on The Inner Light.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I liked Captain's Holiday. :shrug:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

;-* You buying?
:ughh: I'll issue the command to the replicator if that's what you mean

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Tapestry was good though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

Tapestry was good though.

Well the first thing going against is that there's at least three of them so they can't be that good

The second issue is that Picard is a bookish, reserved, and serious character, which is to say, a bad gently caress

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I thought the episode where Picard has a fling with the stellar cartography officer was cute as well, idk :shrug:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Data Graham posted:

;-* You buying?
:ughh: I'll issue the command to the replicator if that's what you mean

Maybe that's 24th century slang for "we're going to your quarters to bang, right?"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Firebert posted:

I thought the episode where Picard has a fling with the stellar cartography officer was cute as well, idk :shrug:

That episode is hilarious for the part when Picard goes to Troi about his relationship with Daren, thinking it could be inappropriate, and she's all, "Professional ethics :lol:? Keep bangin' on, bangin' on your drum."

Like, every corporate HR department in America should show that episode when the concept of "fraternization between co-workers" in the employee handbook comes up.

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 11, 2016

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

P.S. I watched Chaos on the Bridge on the recommendation of this thread and it felt a bit too shallow. Would rather read a good book on the subject.

Allen_Aldo
Jul 8, 2013

Timby posted:

That's what I meant by "no one watched it." The viewership was so low in the early goings that the syndicates just bounced it around its timeslots. I remember one of the season premieres aired in Chicago at midnight on WGN.

Edit: I remember, it was The Way of the Warrior. The premiere of a season that was literally make-or-break for the show and it aired on loving midnight, on a Saturday, in one of the country's biggest markets.

I watched Ds9 intermittently when I was a kid, and I also watched it on WGN Chicago. Didn't it normally air at like 2 p.m. on Saturdays? Maybe it was 4? I think it often got shifted around due to baseball games; WGN aired a lot of Cubs and Sox games. It was surreal tuning in to the channel with bated breath, expecting to see space ships pew pew each other, and goo man turn gooey, only to end up watching the Cubs perform as expected.

It was especially weird when I put on WGN at something like 230 only to see Ds9 characters in baseball uniforms. To this day, part of me wonders if the baseball holosuite episode came about because of the creators learning about the show's shifting time slot. For a moment I sort of though I was hallucinating; I figured I might actually be watching a baseball game but my brain was so wired on high fructose corn syrup that it was inserting ds9 characters into the game out of pure expectation.

I can't think of any other fairly big show that was so hard to find on TV.

If I remember right, a lot of Chicago non-cable stations aired sci-fi shows on Saturday afternoons in the late 90s early 2000s. I think the local Fox affiliate aired Stargate SG-1 at about the same time as DS9

I could be wrong but I don't think Saturday afternoon is prime TV real estate. Yet, it is marketed at a particularly nerdy demographic, so maybe it was uncharacteristically successful there.

Allen_Aldo fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 12, 2016

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

P.S. I watched Chaos on the Bridge on the recommendation of this thread and it felt a bit too shallow. Would rather read a good book on the subject.

Timby posted:

Gene Roddenberry: The Myth and the Man Behind Star Trek. Very highly recommended; it does a good takedown job of some of the urban legends that Roddenberry liked to tell about himself (like single-handedly saving the passengers in a Pan-Am crash, or showing up as a police officer in a bar to scare the poo poo out of an agent so he'd read a script).

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Baka-nin posted:

In the UK trek would show once a week (Tuesday I believe) on BBC 2 after the simpsons, after that the shows were premièred on cable and when it was finished Trek shows were used to fill out Sky One's schedule after its attempts at original programming fell through and it was just left with the simpsons. You could watch something like four to eight episodes of TNG (in random order which made two parters a real pain) a day, and about the same for Voyager. DS9 was shown once a day at six o'clock in the morning, I discovered that while waiting for a taxi to the airport.

It got better in the mid 2000's though, around about the time DVD sales for tv shows became really big, Sky added DS9 back into the mix.

I miss the 90's, back when BBC2 would have their established cult TV slot and you'd get TNG on Wednesdays, DS9 on Thursdays, TOS on Fridays and Voyager on Sunday. Interspersed with the likes of Sliders, Quantum Leap, Space Precinct and numerous ITC shows like Tha Champions and Randall and Hopkirk...

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, ST09 was a pretty decent start. Too bad they botched everything they did after it, though.

Into Darkness is so bad. The movie seriously has no coherent plot, it's just a bunch of scenes strung together because they had a list of things they wanted in the movie. If they cut out Khan entirely and just focused on Admiral Robocop trying to start a war with the Klingons, it could have been a decent movie. Instead, it's a nonsensical mess. We have Khan smuggling guys in torpedoes and the most cringe-worthy scene in a Trek movie since Star Trek V.

It says something to how loving bad STID was that I don't know exactly which cringe scene you're talking about.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Asmodai_00 posted:

It says something to how loving bad STID was that I don't know exactly which cringe scene you're talking about.

You know the one. It's the one.

KHAAAAAANNNNNN

I think I might unironically like Star Trek V and Generations more than Into Darkness. Insurrection and Nemesis, I dunno, but maybe.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'd have no problem with ST09 if they had left the whole time travel angle out. We don't need Leonard Nimoy appearing in a movie to give his blessing for a new series featuring the original crew. That's what ruined it for me.

Into Darkness pissed me off so much that I started watching the show on Netflix just to see what was so great about the original series in the first place. The only Trek movies I had seen in full before than were First Contact and Nemesis and a handful of episodes of TNG and most of the last season of Voyager.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 12, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Well he's dead now, no one can stand Shatner, and none of the living actors had big enough characters to warrant showing up in a movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gammatron 64 posted:

KHAAAAAANNNNNN

No, I'm sorry, the Alice Eve "turn around" scene is about a hundred times worse.

I know I've said before that I like Into Darkness quite a bit, and a lot of my problems with it come from the incidental dialogue.

(After the Vengeance goes ham)
:clint: Where's the damage?
:pseudo: Major hull damage, Captain.

Thanks, jackwagon, very descriptive.

Or, when RoboCop gives the orders Khan threatens to blow the shout out of the drifting Enterprise:

:doom: I will target your aft nacelle.

WHAT THE gently caress IS AN AFT NACELLE

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 12, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zaroff posted:

I miss the 90's, back when BBC2 would have their established cult TV slot and you'd get TNG on Wednesdays, DS9 on Thursdays, TOS on Fridays and Voyager on Sunday. Interspersed with the likes of Sliders, Quantum Leap, Space Precinct and numerous ITC shows like Tha Champions and Randall and Hopkirk...

You forgot Buffy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Timby posted:

WHAT THE gently caress IS AN AFT NACELLE

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gammatron 64 posted:

KHAAAAAANNNNNN

I think I might unironically like Star Trek V and Generations more than Into Darkness. Insurrection and Nemesis, I dunno, but maybe.

V and large parts of Generations are far, far superior to most of the Trek movies thus far.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The part where they phone up Old Spock to ask him how The Wrath of Khan ended was the exact moment I totally checked out of the movie and wrote off the new film franchise. In principal I think there's nothing wrong with spinning off a new universe from the old one, but that's some cynical loving fanwank because doing that means on some level they knew full well their own poo poo wasn't nearly as compelling as the old poo poo.

ST09 is just proof that if you make something incredibly boring for long enough, when you bring it back suddenly all shiny and loud it'll make the lethargic addicts that comprise your fanbase jump to attention if it goes by fast enough to convince everybody else you've made something worth watching

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The scene I hate the worst in ID is the "skydiving" scene between the Enterprise and the Vengeance. It plays like a video game sequence, it had zero stakes, and something about the way Kirk and Khan are working with each other in that scene rubs me the wrong way. Their dialog is just so...mundane. It just doesn't fit with the prior scenery chewing and Khan didn't need Kirk in the slightest to take over the Vengeance so the idea that he would help in any way once they left the ship is out of character.

There had to be a better way to work in "Scotty is up to hijinks in the Vengeance" in there.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 12, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Worst part of All Good Things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Star Trek '09 was good.

Star Trek Into Darkness was bad. Very bad. And it's the kind of bad where you can't even enjoy how bad it is.