Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Commissar Kip posted:

So, will we count Konflict 47 also as 'Historical' or do I need to go to the plebs in other threads to discuss this?

It depends, are you going to go with historical tank camo patterns for your mecha zombie bots or not? (I haven't checked what's the difference between Konflict 47 and, say, Dust)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Commissar Kip posted:

So, will we count Konflict 47 also as 'Historical' or do I need to go to the plebs in other threads to discuss this?

Yup, it's totally historical.

I picked up some of the plastic German Zombies for it (20 for like £12 or something) . The starter armies come with the book in softback for £70, I've got tons of Germans already but no Americans, so I'll pick up the Americans one, and add the new Bolt Action boxed game to it the month after for a decent sized American force.

It will be interesting to see what changes there are to the game and how the army lists work. The starter sets (since they both contain a tank and walker plus two squads of infantry and a special infantry unit) imply a more vehicle heavy game. Also what points level are the starters? 500? 750?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh god, I've been going trough the free army lists on the FoW website and I'm already getting torn between the options. I'm thinking of using the Open Fire set as the core of a 11th armoured tank squadron (I actually bought Market Garden years back for that reason) & a Hungarian infantry division, but I also kind of want to make a Czech armoured squadron, and a Nachtjager Comet squadron, and maybe a 29th infantry division...

Still, the fact nobody else present plays FoW is keeping me on the straight and narrow for now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You'd think that, but then you end up wondering if Zvezda are ever going to make French tanks and somehow you're working out what it'd cost you to do a late war Beutepanzer list using as many pre-war craptanks as you can cram in all of a sudden.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

A list comprised entirely of Carden Loyds :unsmigghh:

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Are there any rulesets around that work well for very small numbers WWII combat? I'm starting a modeling project doing up a few German and French infantry and a tank for each from 1940 and it would be cool to be able to play armymen with them.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Charles Get-Out posted:

Are there any rulesets around that work well for very small numbers WWII combat? I'm starting a modeling project doing up a few German and French infantry and a tank for each from 1940 and it would be cool to be able to play armymen with them.

How many are "a few"? Vanilla Chain of Command is made for playing one platoon vs. one platoon plus support, which is genereally 30-40 men with maybe an AT gun, a tank, or some engineers with a flamethrower or whatever. It even works with reduced strength platoons: we started learning the game with platoons where we left out one squad on each side.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

lilljonas posted:

How many are "a few"? Vanilla Chain of Command is made for playing one platoon vs. one platoon plus support, which is genereally 30-40 men with maybe an AT gun, a tank, or some engineers with a flamethrower or whatever. It even works with reduced strength platoons: we started learning the game with platoons where we left out one squad on each side.

I'm modeling Tamiya 1/35 so a platoon is quite a bit more than I'm willing to spend. I'm thinking maybe a rifle team or something similar per side max.

I've looked at Bolt Action as a possibility, but I'm kind of hoping there's some obscure ruleset out there that works better.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

squad vs squad is a bit unusual I guess, most skirmish games tends to pick up at platoon level. I looked around a bit and found this, a squad vs squad game where you move individual soldiers. But I can't vouch for it, as I've never tried it myself.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/97595/operation-squad-world-war-two

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
That seems like what I'm looking for, but it also appears to be an OOP Warlord Games product? I can find a blogpost on their site about it, but links to the store are dead.

Thank for the lead!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Charles Get-Out posted:

That seems like what I'm looking for, but it also appears to be an OOP Warlord Games product? I can find a blogpost on their site about it, but links to the store are dead.

Thank for the lead!

If you are down with a digital copy, it's available on Wargame Vault:

http://www.wargamevault.com/product/150397/Operation-Squad-Evolution

Otherwise I'd check ebay/amazon, or wargaming sites with second hand sales thread such as bartertown or The Miniatures Page.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Arquinsiel posted:

You'd think that, but then you end up wondering if Zvezda are ever going to make French tanks and somehow you're working out what it'd cost you to do a late war Beutepanzer list using as many pre-war craptanks as you can cram in all of a sudden.

Oh God, Zvezda do Ferdinands, and Battlefront do a free Ferdinand-based list.

I'm thinking of investing in a copy of Blood, Guts & Glory to lure in the Tanks crowd - there's still some free lists[ that would be compatible with the Tanks! range, as long as people are willing to play as French/Czechs/Poles for the US & Brit ranges (or just have 75mm Shermans for an All-American list), which amusingly enough makes the French the most elite of those options :france:. Ze Germans of course have Panzers to the Meuse as well as a few other options. The Russians are unfortunately out of luck, though.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 9, 2016

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

The Russians are unfortunately out of luck, though.

battlefront.txt

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

lilljonas posted:

squad vs squad is a bit unusual I guess, most skirmish games tends to pick up at platoon level. I looked around a bit and found this, a squad vs squad game where you move individual soldiers. But I can't vouch for it, as I've never tried it myself.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/97595/operation-squad-world-war-two

Crossfire is technically company scale but the scale is sooooooo loose that you could play it as a squad game and nobody would notice.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Bolt action terrain is even more expensive than Battlefront drat

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
SOVIET STEEL :ussr:

IS-2 and ISU-152 by JTFM, IS-3 by Warlord.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

secretly a baby posted:

But you don't understand! I want the convenience of a package deal but I just don't want to pay for it!

What else are you going to spend that money on? Nappies? Petrol? Bubble tea? Brown liquor? Books you wont read? Fancy calligraphy pens? Trips to an asian-pacific country?

Phi230 posted:

I'm so out of my league painting these small TY minis. I'm used to years of 40k, the large models have made me soft in my arrogance

forgive me, little soviet men, for I make you look as monsters

Theyre all just faceless meat for the grinder, they dont need things like highlights, a fourth colour or names.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

lilljonas posted:

Otherwise I'd check ebay/amazon, or wargaming sites with second hand sales thread such as bartertown or The Miniatures Page.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the PDF as it was pretty cheap and the rules seem to be exactly what I was looking for, thanks

Unfortunately, all the lists are Late War (TM) so I'll have to bodge stats for what I'm modelling if/when I get to try it out. I wish more gaming companies/gamers were into cute early war tanks.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Help I am pricing out getting the bare minimum for a British army in FoW so the tanks from Open Fire! Don't feel lonely

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Frobbe posted:

Help I am pricing out getting the bare minimum for a British army in FoW so the tanks from Open Fire! Don't feel lonely

I've been there. What list are you considering? Guards? 11th Armoured? They did have a free briefing for 11th armoured (which is what got me onto them as a list) on the website, but they took it down on account of the fact it's in Market Garden now.

But may I suggest you look into the Plastic Soldier company, since they do cheaper but still very good quality plastics for most of what you'd need for a British list. Just keep PSC & Battlefront shermans separate due to minor scale differences.

I think the only thing stopping me pulling the trigger has been the fact there's no local FoW scene where I live (and the nightmare that is trying to assemble early Open Fire shermans).

I'm actually debating not making them British at all, but instead putting the paratroopers to one side for now and making a :canada: list, possibly even a recon one.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Man I feel a bit nuts for trying to magnetize my SU-100s & SU-85M barrels. Might just chin the 100's off and buy a single one later on. Haven't used any of them yet...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Is it me or is the Zvezda Sherman an Easy Eight and not a M4E2? Because if it is, :getin:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Zvedza has a 1/144 scale Ekranoplan

New TY transport yes

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Yvonmukluk posted:

Is it me or is the Zvezda Sherman an Easy Eight and not a M4E2? Because if it is, :getin:

Hate to break your heart, but it is in fact a late-model M4A2 and not an E8. Still not a bad choice for portraying standard M4A3 76 tanks, but they don't have the trademark HVSS suspension that marks them as E8s.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Hate to break your heart, but it is in fact a late-model M4A2 and not an E8. Still not a bad choice for portraying standard M4A3 76 tanks, but they don't have the trademark HVSS suspension that marks them as E8s.

Darn, I was thrown off by the muzzle brake. Someone will make 15mm Easy Eights eventually, right?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Yvonmukluk posted:

Darn, I was thrown off by the muzzle brake. Someone will make 15mm Easy Eights eventually, right?

Do you mean in plastic? Because otherwise there is http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=4470

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh God, Zvezda do Ferdinands, and Battlefront do a free Ferdinand-based list.

You may notice from my post history that this one already happened to me a few weeks back.

Yvonmukluk posted:

IIRC from my googling while it is a 76mm Sherman that specific combination of hull, turret, gun and suspension wad only ever used by the Soviets in the field. Makes sense given what models were handiest for Zvezda's sculptor I guess.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 11, 2016

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Any good recommendations for a company or smaller WWI game not based on the trench war? I'm more interested in the east and Mediterranean theaters than the west. I already own Warhammer The Great War and don't really want to give BF money for FoWWI.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Too Fat Lardies did a Great War expansion for Chain of Command in the 2014 Xmas Special, which I don't remember having any particular emphasis on trench warfare.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Does CoC ever get played in 1/35? I've got some tamiya models/troopers sitting around; my original plan was to build a diorama but dual purposing my gerrys would be pretty cool too.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

DiHK posted:

Does CoC ever get played in 1/35? I've got some tamiya models/troopers sitting around; my original plan was to build a diorama but dual purposing my gerrys would be pretty cool too.

I can't say I've seen it that much, but it's possible as long as you get 30-40 models per side painted. I mean, there are boxes (like Tamiya's infantry boxes) that are about the same cost as 28mm miniatures. And 1/35 vehicles are not radically more expensive than 28mm ones. I think the main issue is that you'll probably want a pretty big playing area if you scale up the distances as well, and terrain will be a bit bigger and take up more space.

Think the space restriction is probably also the reason why I've only seen larger scales used for WW2 games when it's a big display piece at a convention or something. But if you have a large table (or an unused floor!), just go ahead and try. :)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Five Men in Normandy is pretty cool with bigger toy soldiers, if you don't mind only having a squad or less per side. Doesn't need that much space normally.

But really, anything "gets played" in 1/35 if you supply the models and run a fun game.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

lilljonas posted:

I mean, there are boxes (like Tamiya's infantry boxes) that are about the same cost as 28mm miniatures.

I don't believe it: Show me where to find 28mm models at this price point.

CoC does get played in 15mm though, right? Rule wise can you get away with FoW base set-ups? I doubt that but a set of FoW mans is NBD.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

DiHK posted:

I don't believe it: Show me where to find 28mm models at this price point.

CoC does get played in 15mm though, right? Rule wise can you get away with FoW base set-ups? I doubt that but a set of FoW mans is NBD.

I know you kid, but:
8 men for 9 bucks
38 men for 31 bucks: http://www.thewarstore.com/product89286.html

But yeah, if you shop around you can find 1/35 stuff that is very affordable. And if you have the time and money, there's some magificient terrain in 1/35, such as MiniArt's entire catalogue.

I know people who used to play FoW and now play CoC in 15mm instead, and it works fine. Sure you can't use 100% of the rules as easily, such as breaking off scouting pairs from your squads, but those rules tend to not work anyway as it's basically suicidal.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

lilljonas posted:

I know you kid, but:
8 men for 9 bucks
38 men for 31 bucks: http://www.thewarstore.com/product89286.html

But yeah, if you shop around you can find 1/35 stuff that is very affordable. And if you have the time and money, there's some magificient terrain in 1/35, such as MiniArt's entire catalogue.

I did not realize that Perry Bros had a few WW2 sets. Also, nice upgrade for Warstore Website!

Anyway I don't know why I'm bothering, all I can find reliably around Chicago is FoW and more FoW (game wise).

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I hope the Perrys do some Russians next. Late war, preferably. All these 28mm Soviet Infantry models suck.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

DiHK posted:

Yeah, you could do CoC at 1/35, but you'd need a pretty big play area. But it's aces at anything from 10mm to 32mm, and fits nicely on a 4'x6' table. I picked 28mm just because there are so many available options for minis and vehicles.

And the biggest benefit of the two-man scout team rules that I've seen is as a cheap way to threaten an enemy Jumping-Off Point and/or force an enemy counter-deployment. In that regard, it's super-useful.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

DiHK posted:

I asked a similar question earlier as I'm modeling some Tamiya myself, and a couple suggestions were Operation Squad and Crossfire. I feel like small engagements fits 1/35 better maybe.

I bought the rules for Operation Squad from this link and the rules seem pretty solid with ready-made stats for late war Germans, British, Russians, and Americans.

lilljonas posted:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Seconding Five Men in Normandy. I think it has both soloplay and campaign rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I just realized that cheap good 1/72 figures exist, can anyone recommend what I'd need for a 2-player table of Sharp Practice?

It'll be a while before I get the book, but I was looking at this British box and this American box as a starting point. I know shamefully little about the era, but would that be enough to have a game? And are those close enough to correct figures?