Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

X-O posted:

WickedHate, stop posting. Thanks.

She is right in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They don't know each other very well they hardly interact at all.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BrianWilly posted:

That's great. It's still super loving dumb to call them "unrelated." They're four of the most prominent characters in the company who all know each other really well.

Like how many covers can we find of four white characters standing together for no reason

I agree, and that's the underlying problem, that there are so few black characters that to form a team they have to be randomly grabbed from all corners of the universe with nothing in common.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrianWilly posted:

Like how many covers can we find of four white characters standing together for no reason

All white people are brothers united by our love of racquetball.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

JoshTheStampede posted:

Kind of irritated that Ultimates is rebooting without Rocafort, he's been amazing on that book.

Foreman is worth a few Rockafort's in my opinion.

e: As long as he's with a very complimentary colourist, that is.

Del Mundo Avengers? I hope it's a more interesting read than ANAD, and I'm sure it'll just be the opening arc, but :swoon:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 11, 2016

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

CharlestheHammer posted:

They were married specifically because they were black. They hardly interacted prior and during the marriage itself. It was weird.

They're also both African royalty.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

WickedHate posted:

I agree, and that's the underlying problem, that there are so few black characters that to form a team they have to be randomly grabbed from all corners of the universe with nothing in common.

You mean the so few black characters that BP is on a team with three other black characters and none of them are the ones listed on that cover?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Holy gently caress is Ultimate Jessica Drew gonna be a part of Silk? Because that'll rule.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

JoshTheStampede posted:

They're also both African royalty.

Storm isn't royalty she has delusions of grandeur there is a difference.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CharlestheHammer posted:

She is right in this case.

I don't really care at this point, it's less about the point and more that she is terrible. You can make the point if you want, you're not terrible like she is.

WickedHate stop posting. Seriously.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Toxxupation posted:

You mean the so few black characters that BP is on a team with three other black characters and none of them are the ones listed on that cover?

I've not read Ultimates and I'm reacting specifically to the BP cover. If Ultimates is better maybe they should be on the cover instead of Luke Cage and Storm.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Toxxupation posted:

Or Captain America, Spider-Man, or Power Man, all of whom are on different teams than the Ultimates? Or War Machine?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

X-O posted:

I don't really care at this point, it's less about the point and more that she is terrible. You can make the point if you want, you're not terrible like she is.

WickedHate stop posting. Seriously.

That is fair.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Has Marvel said anything about what's going to kick off Marvel Now? An event, a oneshot Marvel: Now #1, etc? I'm hoping it's just going to be subtle, just starting in October all books will no longer say ANAD, they'll say Now and a whole bunch of #1s will start coming out, but somehow I doubt that.

Grey Area posted:

I hope this means Songbird joins the Thunderbolts. I liked her in New Avengers.

On the one hand, it'd be kinda a setback for her to be working with SHIELD and an Avengers team to going back to Thunderbolts forever, but on the other hand she's not in US Avengers, probably not going to be in the New Avengers if they're continuing into Now, so I'd be happy to see her in Thunderbolts than nothing.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

WickedHate posted:

I've not read Ultimates and I'm reacting specifically to the BP cover. If Ultimates is better maybe they should be on the cover instead of Luke Cage and Storm.

He was married to one and has a pre-existing friendship with the other, it's not like new Nick Fury, Captain America, Spider-Man, Power Man, Prodigy, or Nighthawk's on there.

I agree that the memorial issue of Captain America Sam Wilson went pretty hard on the tokenism (including Nick Fury uncomfortably being there for no reason) but I excuse it because it's necessary optics in increasing or expressing POC visibility in a white-dominated industry. But it's disingenuous at best to express that cover is "Guess they're just throwing a bunch of blacks together again :rolleyes:".

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 11, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DrProsek posted:

Has Marvel said anything about what's going to kick off Marvel Now? An event, a oneshot Marvel: Now #1, etc? I'm hoping it's just going to be subtle, just starting in October all books will no longer say ANAD, they'll say Now and a whole bunch of #1s will start coming out, but somehow I doubt that.

Heard of this thing called Civil Wartoo?

e: I forgot to mention it last post about Silver Surfer #5, but Watcher Nick Fury appeared in that. Is that the first time?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DrProsek posted:

I'm assuming the end of CW2 is what sparks it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: I forgot to mention it last post about Silver Surfer #5, but Watcher Nick fury appeared in that. Is that the first time?

I thought you said Waterloo and I would support a duke of Wellington ongoing.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

The marriage between Storm and T'Challa was pretty contrived, but I enjoyed the stories with them together and think that they would get really high OKCupid percentages for each other.

I am super hyped about that Deadpool Mercs line up.

Is anyone actually hyped about Slapstick, Foolkiller, or Solo? Like, is there some die-hard Foolkiller fan out there who's dream has finally come true?

Personally I don't really know anything about Foolkiller or Solo and I hate Slapstick but I guess we'll see how they turn out.

Does Ronin have a glowing chest circle on that cover?

EDIT: I hope that Nova tease means that Sam will finally find his loving dad already jesus christ he's been looking forever. Also it would piss off a bunch of people on the internet if it isn't for Richard Ryder and that would be funny.

Cool Dad fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 11, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I just noticed that the Avengers team of Vision, Sam Wilson, Jane Foster, Hercules, Nadia Pym, and Victor Von Doom is being drawn by Mike Del Mundo. Holy poo poo that is going to be amazing.

Gilok posted:

The marriage between Storm and T'Challa was pretty contrived, but I enjoyed the stories with them together and think that they would get really high OKCupid percentages for each other.

I am super hyped about that Deadpool Mercs line up.

Is anyone actually hyped about Slapstick, Foolkiller, or Solo? Like, is there some die-hard Foolkiller fan out there who's dream has finally come true?

Personally I don't really know anything about Foolkiller or Solo and I hate Slapstick but I guess we'll see how they turn out.

Solo yes, because his story in Mercs for Money is interesting and it's by Duggan. Slapstick no, until I saw Fred Van Lente's name on the cover and him writing comedy is a must buy.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Gilok posted:

I'm going to give Solo a chance just because I really like Dugan

and supposedly that's Dr. Doom as Superior Iron Man. Or Dark Iron Man. Or Iron Doom. Or whatever.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

In any case if that Silk cover isn't bullshit and they're seriously gonna loop Ultimate Jessica Drew into the 616 I'll consider this whole loving relaunch worth it off of that alone.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Toxxupation posted:

In any case if that Silk cover isn't bullshit and they're seriously gonna loop Ultimate Jessica Drew into the 616 I'll consider this whole loving relaunch worth it off of that alone.

I thought that was Mayday Parker, who lives in her universe with an Uncle Ben from yet another universe.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm going to give Solo a chance just because I really like Dugan

and supposedly that's Dr. Doom as Superior Iron Man. Or Dark Iron Man. Or Iron Doom. Or whatever.

Ahh, ok, that makes sense. Doom probably isn't someone you can just have show up on the Avengers, so him being Ronin works well. I'm assuming that he's going to be Ronin since, well, that looks like a Ronin suit.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

DrProsek posted:

Probably just that Civil War II is over.

quote:

On the one hand, it'd be kinda a setback for her to be working with SHIELD and an Avengers team to going back to Thunderbolts forever, but on the other hand she's not in US Avengers, probably not going to be in the New Avengers if they're continuing into Now, so I'd be happy to see her in Thunderbolts than nothing.
Purely based on the cover they might put the Thunderbolts under SHIELD control with Songbird in charge.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gilok posted:

Slapstick will probably be alright, Foolkiller maybe too. Solo is totally dead on arrival, though. Looking at that cover gives me flashbacks to Men of War, GI Combat, Blackhawks, and mostly, Grifter.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: I forgot to mention it last post about Silver Surfer #5, but Watcher Nick Fury appeared in that. Is that the first time?

Rhyno posted:

I'm assuming the end of CW2 is what sparks it.

Ah, well at least we're not going to have two events in a row then. I was worried Marvel Now would for some reason start off with its own event instead of just continuing on from where CWII leaves off :v:.

Gilok posted:

Those books are frankly the only ones I don't have any plans to pull. I guess if I hear they're actually amazing I might try them but from what little I saw of them in ANAD Deadpool, I have no real interest in reading solo series with them :shrug:.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Toxxupation posted:

Holy gently caress is Ultimate Jessica Drew gonna be a part of Silk? Because that'll rule.

Bad news, I'm pretty sure that's Mattie Franklin

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gilok posted:

I thought that was Mayday Parker, who lives in her universe with an Uncle Ben from yet another universe.

I think it's Arana.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Grey Area posted:

Purely based on the cover they might put the Thunderbolts under SHIELD control with Songbird in charge.

Ooh. That would be awesome and I'd totally want to see her rejoin the Thunderbolts then.

Rhyno posted:

I think it's Arana.

Doesn't she have some black and white costume now? The woman on the cover's costume doesn't look like her's.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gilok posted:

Ahh, ok, that makes sense. Doom probably isn't someone you can just have show up on the Avengers, so him being Ronin works well. I'm assuming that he's going to be Ronin since, well, that looks like a Ronin suit.

That is Mattie Franklin on the Silk cover.

She was supposed to be dead, but her death was the one thing I hated about Grim Hunt. So glad she's back!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I find it really weird that fuckin' Mercs for Money ends up being the source of a billion ongoings but I'm excited for Foolkiller based solely off of his arc in the Deadpool ongoing. Never heard of the dude before he showed up there and I really like the idea of a former villain becoming a super-powered therapist. I think that's a pretty cool hook for a solo.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Toxxupation posted:

I find it really weird that fuckin' Mercs for Money ends up being the source of a billion ongoings but I'm excited for Foolkiller based solely off of his arc in the Deadpool ongoing. Never heard of the dude before he showed up there and I really like the idea of a former villain becoming a super-powered therapist. I think that's a pretty cool hook for a solo.

No no, Solo is the other guy!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

CharlestheHammer posted:

They don't know each other very well they hardly interact at all.
Even if Storm and T'Challa didn't interact a lot before their marriage, they definitively interacted a lot after the fact. She was in his comic for months and appeared together in every single appearance for years. Call the relationship forced if you like, but at this point there absolutely is a relationship.

Misty Knight was literally in Heroes For Hire with Luke Cage, on top of being a street hero in NYC and dated/s Danny Rand. I don't think you even know who the character is if you think she hasn't interacted with Luke.

And if the 80s one-shot of Luke and Storm teaming up with Spider-Man to stop teen smoking wasn't your favorite comic of the time I don't know what to say.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Codependent Poster posted:

That is Mattie Franklin on the Silk cover.

She was supposed to be dead, but her death was the one thing I hated about Grim Hunt. So glad she's back!

I'm guessing it's a tie-in with the Spider-Clone event.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

And if you want to criticize a relationship for being forced Peter Quill and Kitty Pryde basically started dating for no other reason than sheer proximity due to the trial of Jean Grey.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Toxxupation posted:

And if you want to criticize a relationship for being forced Peter Quill and Kitty Pryde basically started dating for no other reason than sheer proximity due to the trial of Jean Grey. Kitty being Bendis' waifu.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

A few notes on some books.

Namor is back alive in Squadron Supreme.

Cable is now the leader of the Uncanny Avengers as Steve Rogers has left the team.

USAvengers are the new SHIELD as AIM (American Idea Mechanics) has replaced SHIELD at the top of the food chain post Civil War II.

The new Nova ongoing looks to be about Richard Ryder's return.

Mighty Thor will revolve around a war between Asgard and the Shi'ar.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Teenage Warhead, Jubilee and Cable sighted on those covers, Mutants are totally not dead.

Talking to a friend this weekend about Kitty / Quill and we realized one of the weirdest parts is that she just ditched Lockheed back at the X-mansion. Then again, that poo poo has been weird ever since they decided he was a sentient space dragon that just wanted to hang out in her bed being creepy for her whole adolescence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

X-O posted:

A few notes on some books.

Namor is back alive in Squadron Supreme.

Cable is now the leader of the Uncanny Avengers as Steve Rogers has left the team.

USAvengers are the new SHIELD as AIM (American Idea Mechanics) has replaced SHIELD at the top of the food chain post Civil War II.

The new Nova ongoing looks to be about Richard Ryder's return.

Mighty Thor will revolve around a war between Asgard and the Shi'ar.

God drat. I can't wait to read these 6 months after you guys. They sound awesome.

ON the mutant front. They could just keep around those that are super popular right now.

• Locked thread